Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anyone managed to successfully mod the 2021 X-Wing' R2 socket?

SaminoSamino SomewhereMember Posts: 9
I have been pondering over if it could be done without any substantial changes to the design of the whole model. I really like the set otherwise, and would love to get myself my first X-Wing, but I just can't get over that compromise of how much R2 sticks out of the ship, even if I get that it might not bother many others.

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,071
    I just removed the plate or plates in the socket to lower R2 by one plate's thickness. It helps a lot. (I'm not at home so can't check to see exactly what I did.)
    iwybs
  • SaminoSamino SomewhereMember Posts: 9
    @560Heliport
    Yeah I believe I know which ones you mean. I just figured that in worst case scenario, I might just fill the gap with bricks and stick the R2's head on top like in the old days of SW starfighters :D
    560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296
    At least he faces the front in this one, unlike #9493.
    Samino
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 270
    I think R2 sits at exactly the right height if you just lower the socket by one plate, like 560Heliport said. If you look at the studio models of the X-wing, it's astonishing how high the droid actually sits.
    Samino560Heliport
  • SaminoSamino SomewhereMember Posts: 9
    @560Heliport @iwybs
    Thanks for the insight, ended up ordering the set. Looking forward to building it! 
    560Heliport
    You won't regret it! It's a great X-wing.
    Samino
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 880
    I see R2 gets a new head. Is there anything that makes this better than #75218?
    The laser cannons look much better, and it's $30 cheaper.
    Modeltrainman
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,151
    This is #75301 right?
    Yes
    Astrobricks
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,051
    I can't stand the new version of the X-wing for quite a number of reasons. The best way to mod it would be to sell it and buy the older version. I totally get the decision behind reducing the size of it though. I think Lego did a great job with the reduced size of the TIE Fighter.
    iwybs