Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Unpopular LEGO Opinions

Comments

• EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 253
    SumoLego said:
    CCC said:
    As a kid... glue bits... drill holes in bricks... stabbed... the sand pit... thrown out the bedroom... parachute attached...zip wire... just toys...

Clearly, you're Sid from Toy Story. This explains a lot.  Poor Combat Carl!
    Id put a cool meme in here but I just learned yesterday that is against the rules lol... "Lets go out and play.. Muhahahahaha"    
    BrickchapSumoLegogmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,419
    SumoLego said:
    CCC said:
    As a kid... glue bits... drill holes in bricks... stabbed... the sand pit... thrown out the bedroom... parachute attached...zip wire... just toys...

Not really, as there was no malicious intent. This was regular action play. Action Men were marketed as, well men of action. They were soldiers in combat, they hiked through deserts (our sandpit or at the beach), they camped in jungles (our garden), they zip wired over ravines and down mountain sides (out of the bedroom window).

I remember having the parts to make a lego boat hull in the late 70s. Not the full set, just the basic boat shape. We used to be allowed to take that to the beach and play with it in a seawater paddling pool. I just looked on BL, I can piece the same thing together for under £2. If we had only played indoors with it and stored it all those years, our used one would be worth that now. If I could travel back in time I think I'd take the fun of using it again, and I let my kids do the same with their toys. They'd only be worth something if never opened. 
    560HeliportdatsunrobbieiwybsSumoLegogmonkey76Aanchircatwrangler
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 574
    I was all over the map as a kid.  Once I spilled a large glass of pulpy orange juice into my main LEGO bin.  When my mom made me clean everything I found raisins and marbles in there, too...
    ...At the same time, I had those battery powered Stomper 4x4 cars that never saw a grain of sand or speck of dirt.  I was selectively OCD.
    560HeliportAstrobrickspxchrisWesterBricksiwybsSumoLegogmonkey76
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,278
    ^ Even OCD people occasionally spill juice :)
    560HeliportWesterBricksiwybsSumoLegogmonkey76
    lowlead said:

...At the same time, I had those battery powered Stomper 4x4 cars that never saw a grain of sand or speck of dirt.  I was selectively OCD.
    One of my son's friends got an "all terrain" RC car a couple of Christmases ago. The trouble is, he's not allowed to drive it outside in case it gets dirty, or downstairs in case the rubber tyres mark their wooden floors. He is allowed to drive his all terrain car on the carpet of his 10' x 10' bedroom. Apparently it doesn't get played with much as it's not much fun.
    BrickchapiwybsSumoLego560Heliportgmonkey76Fizyxcatwrangler
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 960
    RC cars in general arent much fun, nor RC helicopters. They take hours to charge but you only get about 5 minutes use time.

I had an RC police car when I was young. It was good, except that it went waaayyy too fast and there wasnt really any way to slow it down apart from a dead stop. Turning sort of worked. Inside my house (which was a pretty decent sized house) there just wasnt enough room in corridors and so forth since it would just zoom to the other end and crash. As for outside on the street, well it would zoom away and the signal would be lost. Mostly I couldnt play on the street (despite being a quiet, dead end side street on a hill), since there were a group of people who somehow confused my street with the German autobahn...

Same problem with helicopters, theyd zoom straight up, lose the signal, stall and crash. Thats all they could do. And no it wasnt just me using the controls wrong or something, since I had my parents, various other children, and their parents try it and we all had the same problem. (plus it would run out of charge before any problems could be rectified anyway).

Moral of the story, dont bother with RC. Costs way to much but isnt fun and rarely works.
    Model trains were better, as are slot cars. Both are plenty of fun and have actual controls...

Of course, RC Lego trains were the best though haha.
    WesterBricksiwybs
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,557
    A couple of friends and I had HPI RC Nitro touring cars, which were brilliant fun! We used to take them to a local car park on a Sunday afternoon and zoom them around for hours! Never had issues with range and we used to bring enough fuel to run for as much time as we needed.
    I ought to dig that out again... :-)
    WesterBricksiwybs
    Same here, I didn't have one but my kids do. It was about £40 and you can run it for about an hour on fresh charged batteries which is normally enough. It is cheap enough it can be played with in the park or patio/garden. Whereas vehicles made with Mindstorms, they stay inside. Components too fragile / don't want to get dirty plus they are not that fast anyway. 
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 562
    edited September 2021
    I never cared for #10233 Horizon Express. Orange is my favorite color, and Trains are my favorite theme, but the set doesn’t hold any attraction for me.

Edit to add - I don’t care much for model passenger trains at large, especially modern sleek ones. I’m much more attracted to steam passenger or diesel cargo trains.
    gmonkey76SumoLego
    @WesterBricks Fair point. While I really like my Horizon Express (its the first and only Lego passenger train I have), I do agree that steam passenger trains are much nicer and more interesting.

I do wish lego would bring back creator expert trains. The Crocodile was a flop because of terrible marketing, i.e that ridiculous black box combined with a predominantly brown locomotive. So much for standing out. Thats what annoys me about trains, historical themes and so forth, Lego doesnt put any effort into them. If they did, they would sell better.

Now Im not saying the Crocodile with a different colour and different boxart would have been the most popular set of the year or anything, but it would have been far moe appealing to a wide audience. Pirates of Barracuda Bay prove that Lego can make an excellent nostalgic set with cool boxart.

Back to trains though, for those who say kids dont like trains anymore, okay, but Creator Expert trains were always targeted towards AFOLs and there are still plenty of AFOL train fans out there (plus those of us who just want a train for our city and so forth). Furthermore, yes perhaps the AFOL train fanbase may not be massive, but not every Lego set has to be aimed at the entire market.

To return to WesterBricks point though, Id love to see a steam passenger train (with carriages) and/or a steam cargo train. For the passenger Im thinking a Mallard style locomotive or a more regular engine. Id love to see dark blue used as a colour if dark green is too much like Emerald Night. For a cargo train Id go for a heavy duty German or Russian locomotive from roughly a 1920s-1940s period.
    560HeliportWesterBricksSuboptimal
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,256
    Is the Crocodile a flop? It's only been available a little over a year. Comparing the number owned by Bricksetters with other Creator Expert sets in a similar price range, I 'd guess it's doing okay. I'm thinking of getting one (maybe tomorrow!). I think the brown would go well with #10015 Green Passenger Wagon and the matching blue one from #4534 and #10014 red Caboose. I agree that the black packaging is terrible.
    BrickchapBumblepantsgmonkey76Fizyx
    @560Heliport Yes that is a good point there. Personally I hope the Crocodile isnt a flop but its hardly been something to rave about. What Im saying is, unlike POBB for example, (in respect to Pirates), I doubt the Crocodile will be responsible for a return of semi-regular Creator Expert train sets. (one a year, or every three years would be good).

Sorry to bag out the Crocodile its just that I'd really like to see trains return, in regards to Emerald Night, Maersk train and Horizon Express. (not a full blown train theme, sadly that is highly unlikely).

If the Crocodile had had better marketing, maybe some rolling stock included, or an entirely different train such as an unofficial Mallard or unofficial Santa Fe Super Chief (sorry I dont know the exact type of locomotive that is), then I believe it would have been even more popular and perhaps made Lego consider more thoroughly a return of trains.
    560HeliportMarshallmario
    By the way I just had an idea. What would people think of a 'Wild West' train as apart of the Creator Expert line? Eg 'Jupiter' or some other famous American train with cowcatcher and large smokestack etc.

Personally Id prefer trains as Ive suggested above but what do people think of a nod to the Western theme in the form of a train? Include some cowboy minfigs, perhaps a train robbery? It would be a one-off set (not a return of Western as a whole theme), but would satisfy both train fans, and Western fans.

Now of course, there probably isnt a huge need for such a set but I just thought of the idea.
    560HeliportvanvonfullMarshallmario
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 520
    #7911 Constitution Train Chase - old west train, bad guys, cute kid and woman being menaced, good guys to the rescue, exploding water tower, gatling gun, prison wagon...
    560HeliportvanvonfullKungFuKenny
    @Cymbeline yes I am aware of that set, I own it as a matter of fact. But I was thinking a more Creator Expert level train (with working pistons). I do recall many comments wanting American style steam engines.

Like I said though, Id personally would prefer a European train from the interwar period.
    Cymbeline said:
    #7911 Constitution Train Chase - old west train, bad guys, cute kid and woman being menaced, good guys to the rescue, exploding water tower, gatling gun, prison wagon...
    What does a tugboat have to do with trains? Maybe #79111?
    Brickchap560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 520
    Ooops, definitely #79111 - sorry Astrobricks!
    Astrobricks560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2021
    I wouldn’t mind seeing the western train from back to the future 3
    BrickchapvanvonfullWesterBricks
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 562
    edited September 2021
    I wouldn't mind seeing a UCS DeLorean Time Machine.  We can all dream.
    andhePDelahanty
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 770
    Here's something unpopular:  I have no issue cutting Lego track to make it fit my wants/needs.
    WesterBricksSumoLego560HeliportBumblepantsKungFuKenny
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,289
    daewoo said:
    Here's something unpopular:  I have no issue cutting Lego track to make it fit my wants/needs.
    You MONSTER! heheh
    WesterBricksBrickchap
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 2,023
    Fascinating that this article pops up after we've just had a lengthy and highly opinionated conversation on this exact topic here.

https://bricknerd.com/home/confessions-of-an-anti-digital-lego-builder-9-7-21

I found it to be a very interesting read with some excellent points made. 
    bandit778560Heliportveyniac
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,096
    daewoo said:
    ...cutting Lego track...
    Doing that makes my teeth hurt.
    Marshallmario
    @pxchris Thanks for posting this! Nice to finally see some respect for digital builds and builders such as myself. Of course if we all had infinite money and infinite time building with real bricks would be better, but that just isnt possible for some people.
    pxchrisandhe
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 685
    SumoLego said:
    daewoo said:
    ...cutting Lego track...
    Doing that makes my teeth hurt.
    Use a knife or small hacksaw instead?
    WesterBricksCymbelineYellowcastledaewooOldfan
    Exactly!  Just because it's not a set I will buy doesn't make that set invalid or useless or a waste.  
    vizzitor560Heliportiwybs
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 453
    Lego-guru (possibly) said:
    Another 1,000+ piece set that no one asked for and still Lego refuses to acknowledge that everyone is crying out for Saved By the Bell: The New Class minifigs.
    What's the point in all these thousands of parts when all anyone wants is minifigs, Lego! I don't know anyone who wants modular buildings or detailed cars or any of that Ninjago rubbish. No one buys that stuff!
    All of the time and effort creating these wastes of space in the toy aisle where they just seem to eventually disappear, box by box. They're only fit for children!
    560HeliportAstrobricksCharmiefcb
    edited September 2021
    blokey9 said:
    i'm tired of the idea that just because someone doesn't like/want/need/expect a particular set, Lego has no business making it.
    Hey hey hey! What are you doing? The title of this thread is Unpopular LEGO Opinions! :)
    p.s. please note that I was the first to like your comment! ;)
    AstrobricksMr_CrossEGRoberts
    blokey9 said:
    i'm tired of the idea that just because someone doesn't like/want/need/expect a particular set, Lego has no business making it.
    Following on from this, I'm really bored of supposed AFOLs across the various forums and social media channels I peruse, who appear to hate everything LEGO produces. No set escapes a rant about how its just not right and how they would have done X or Y to it to make it what they want. 
    And the truly amazing thing about Lego is that they can do it themselves if they prefer something else!
    560HeliportCymbelineSumoLegoAstrobricksAyliffeWesterBricksiwybsCharmiefcbcatwrangler
    ^^Once a 'content creator' learns that rants, rage, hate and negativity can offer a fast track to likes, subscribes, interactions and clout, there's no depth they won't go in order to 'rise' on these media outlets.
    I'm of the opinion that many channels still love the LEGO Brand, but opt for the polar opposite tone in their content to garner more attention.  Internet currency is shifting away from sunshine, rainbows and creativity.  
    560HeliportCymbelineAstrobricksAyliffeOldfaniwybsRedbullgivesuwindcatwrangler
    Negativity and outrage pretty much always gets more attention, no matter the medium. :(
    YellowcastleCymbelineiwybsMarshallmario
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 238
    after all, I don't think there is a populars opinion thread!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Every other thread. :o)
    EGRobertsCymbelineSumoLegoiwybsdaewoo
    Odds or evens? :)
    YellowcastleKungFuKennyCymbelineSumoLegoiwybsAstrobricksmessy
    Odds or evens? :)
    Well, they’re all pretty odd...
    That's why I like it here!
    KungFuKennyCymbelineiwybsMarshallmariopxchrisgmonkey76
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 998
    SumoLego said:
    CCC said:

Not judging. I am glad Rex can't turn on my computer, though. He'd hide, and never come out. Unpopular opinion: Sorting LEGO on one's own is a good patience exercise, but daunting.
    560HeliportSumoLegoWesterBricksdaewoo
    I'm looking forward to football season - as that is when I can sort CMFs.

(Marvel CMFs and my Darksaber arrived this weekend.  My 12 year-old self was quite pleased.)
    BumblepantsKungFuKenny

<snip>
    Unpopular opinion: Sorting LEGO on one's own is a good patience exercise, but daunting.
    Unpopular chore perhaps. Very commonly held opinion :)
    Modeltrainman560Heliport
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,358
    edited September 2021
    SumoLego said:
    I'm looking forward to football season - as that is when I can sort CMFs.

(Marvel CMFs and my Darksaber arrived this weekend.  My 12 year-old self was quite pleased.)
    I get a couple NFL games each week here in Bulgaria now so I am about to watch your Bills because that is what will be on. Will be really weird without ads for beer and trucks and ED medication though.
    SumoLego560HeliportYellowcastlepxchrisMeganL
    And never-ending Aaron Rodgers State Farm commercials...
    560HeliportBumblepantsYellowcastleautolycusgmonkey76
    I don't disagree with that, but it is amazing now just how many official lego descriptions use the words collect , colectable/ible, or collection. So much of their marketing has this subtle sense of this is just part of a larger collection.
    BrickchaplowleadLego_Lord_MayorcaTheOriginalSimonBSumoLegocatwrangler
  • Chris87Chris87 ScotlandMember Posts: 29
    @Lego_Lord_Mayorca I remember being asked why I did not have *all* of the Speed Champions and the look of confusion when I said I like the race car versions but the "normal" cars do not interest me so much. Fully agree with the view to buy/build what you like rather than specific theme completion
    560HeliportlowleadLego_Lord_MayorcaSuboptimal
    @Lego_Lord_Mayorca Well said!  FOMO is a thing...and it's puzzling.
    560HeliportLego_Lord_Mayorca
    SumoLego said:
    And never-ending Aaron Rodgers State Farm commercials...
    So far this weekend it seems to be not the case anymore. Now we get about 50/50 Rodgers or Mahomes, but it is still an endless loop of State Farm commercials with one of those two.
    SumoLego
    It really is amazing that in this day and age that saying just do what you like (or better said buy which Lego you like) would be an unpopular opinion.  Frankly, that should be the standard opinion.  Or am I missing something?
    560HeliportBumblepantsvizzitorkarritBrickchap
    daewoo said:
    It really is amazing that in this day and age that saying just do what you like (or better said buy which Lego you like) would be an unpopular opinion.  Frankly, that should be the standard opinion.  Or am I missing something?
    I wholeheartedly agree, and I would venture that it still is the standard opinion.  This topic has sort of morphed into the Unfiltered LEGO Opinions thread, as evident by the frequent strings of little colorful 'like' tiles below many replies.  If we want to be literal, NO replies should be liked in an Unpopular Opinions thread, but we don't have a dislike button, so....
    Either way, I think the unpopular part of this concept might be the obtuse 'lashing out' at LEGO for releasing sets and themes far beyond the reach of some peoples' bank accounts.  Where the attitude might be "LEGO, how do you expect me to afford all this??"  Accompanied by angry posts.
    ...or something like that =o)
    560HeliportdaewooYellowcastleBumblepantsvizzitoriwybsAanchircatwrangler