Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BrickLink Designer Program

123457»

Comments

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    ^ The bowling alley is what you want. The aquarium does not interest you. Move along. (waves hand around) 😜
    pxchris
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 912
    I bet they did that on purpose so there won't be three "winter village" sets in one year.
    Would have been 4 that could fit in a WV scene: Hogsmeade, Home Alone House, Real WV, Chalet.
    vizzitorRussell844
  • EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 201
    EGRoberts said:
    I feel like things like the aquarium are great but don't appeal to the mass due to it is not minifig scale.. Minifigs sell lego as there is a large group who enjoy being able to add it to something of there own collection like town buildings for there cities or that windmill for my medieval village! Events like the designer program are also going to draw crowds who will be willing to spend more money on a single set as it is all collectors who are looking due to Bricklinks fanbase.
    Personally I don’t give a hoot if it’s minifig scale or not. I hope to get the aquarium and maybe the bowling alley.
    Well I don't give a hoot about your not hooting so there =P  But ya I get the bowling alley, it's geared for minifigs =)  As for the aquarium, meh its good but not "funded" good...
    Astrobricks
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,524
    I took a second look at that aquarium... it's kinda fun actually... I mean, it does have a sunken pirate ship option!
    Switchfoot55Fizyx
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,350
    I'm a huge fan of the aquarium. I'll definitely consider funding it. 
    AstrobricksFizyx
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 181
    Well, I really hope you all get what you want but for me:
    1) You pay a premium for the Designer sets
    2) The ordering process is a mess (see round 1)
    3) No printed instruction book
    All adds up to no sale for me.
    560HeliportIan_Sgmonkey76
  • EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 201
    Well, I really hope you all get what you want but for me:
    1) You pay a premium for the Designer sets
    2) The ordering process is a mess (see round 1)
    3) No printed instruction book
    All adds up to no sale for me.
    I remember the day like it was 2 months and 2 days ago... It was July 1st.. Canada Day, my birthday.. I woke up late, made coffee, and loaded up brickset home page and saw Huw's post reminding everyone about the designer program.. Hopped over and the castle in the forest was showing funded.. Ordered 1 right away.. No hassles, just sweet sweet lego ordering.. Now just have to wait 4 to 5 more months to get it =(   Hope the Windmill goes as smoothly for round 2 but who knows..  I also thought the prices where quite reasonable, I was expecting far worse and thought it was more then fair but each of us has different experiences so different for all of us to judge things.
    Jern92YellowcastleFollowsCloselyMarshallmario
    The lack of printed instructions is very disappointing. I wish they’d at least offer some way to get them printed professionally for a small fee.
    Marshallmario
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,830
    autolycus said:
    The lack of printed instructions is very disappointing. I wish they’d at least offer some way to get them printed professionally for a small fee.
    Printing and binding booklets is not cheap unless you do very large volumes, when the cost per unit drops.
    stluxYellowcastleFizyxdaewoo
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    The lack of instructions doesn’t greatly bother me, especially if it keeps the prices down and doesn’t otherwise delay the sets any further.
    FollowsCloselycanon03MaffyD
    Prices are now up for round 2. Quite expensive sets, although the price per part is reasonably constant, and these are big sets.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,047
    BumblepantsAstrobricks
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,047
    Very glad I don't want any of these. Or any of them at all really. The castle had my interest in R1, but that was never going to be easy, and it was still very expensive. I think I'll stick to #31120 - Medieval Castle
    Bumblepantsiwybs
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,659
    I'm not seeing any prices on the Bricklink site - where are they listed?
    Basty said:
    Great - thanks!

I'd love the Ruined House, but I'm struggling to believe that 2,999 others will rush to pledge $299.99 to push it over the line....
    KungFuKennyMarshallmario
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 620
    Whelp, too pricey.  I can safely not worry about trying to get any of them now.
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsiwybsMarshallmario
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,997
    The Mountain Windmill and Clockwork Aquarium both appeal to me but the prices seem slightly higher than their appearance would suggest i.e. not taking PPP into account.
    I ordered 3 in the first round. From this round, I was mostly interested in the Seasons in Time Calendar. I really did not appreciate how big it is though. In my head, I was figuring it would be $100-150. $250 is really expensive. I get it. When I saw the price and really thought about it, I shouldn't have been surprised. I must not have ever looked closely enough at the vignettes to see how many pieces are on each of those.

If I hadn't spent so much on retired modulars this year, I might still be interested, but I will _probably_ pass. It does look so good though, so maybe it will just depend on what I'm doing when the sale button goes live.

I still want that chalet, although now I'm wondering how expensive it's going to be... It looks like it's 40 studs wide, so it will probably be closer to $300.
    I was pretty interested in the Bowling Alley, but I don't think I'm $230 interested in it...

However, I'm still eyeing that Aquarium... I think I can justify $65 for that.
    Marshallmario
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    Surprisingly, this is total pass for me. The Mountain Windmill and the Modular LEGO Store are great looking, but the price is not attractive at all. I think for me the value of printed instructions is too much to ignore.
    BumblepantsMarshallmario
    The aquarium was the only one really on my radar for this round. Still not sure about $65, but I may end up coming around to it. 

More money saved for the Chalet I guess?
    Russell844autolycus
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 550
    ^ ditto.. I was really tempted by the Seasons in Time but that price is higher than i'd realised for same reason - i'd not grasped the scale.

It was the only one on my radar so could be a cheap round after all.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,146
    Too expensive this round. Let's me save my money for the winter chalet.
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 633
    Hmmm.. A modular of 2149parts for 180 bucks... That's on par with the current "regular" ones, right? So not too expensive I think - just all huge sets! Hope some will get through, although if they don't, more likely the Chalet AND the Building Site might make it next round (the ones I'm really eager to buy).
    Switchfoot55iwybs
    I agree @eMJeeNL - it's not that I necessarily think that the sets are way overpriced... they're just all really high piece counts and therefor expensive.
    autolycuseMJeeNLiwybs
    Yep, it’s the scale and piece count that are the issue. The prices aren’t unreasonable, they’re just high.
    Seeing this pricelist actually makes me appreciate the accepted Ideas sets and the refining process they go through in order to for LEGO to sell them. (Not that all Ideas sets are "cheap" compared to these prices) It's just one of those elements that I guess I never gave a lot of consideration to before. 
    autolycuseMJeeNLiwybs
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 425
    There are a handful of these I'd be interested in but the prices on most seem a bit much considering the lack of printed instructions.  Don't know if I will actually buy any though as there are many other official sets on my wishlist.
    It will be interesting to see how well these sets sell, and whether LEGO does future rounds. There is a huge backlog of unlicensed rejected ideas, many of them quite big. But if these large part count sets don't sell, will LEGO keep up the scheme, or just go for smaller ones ...?

It is also a bit of game play for the designers. The higher the part count, the higher the price, and the higher their cut. And with the cap on the numbers produced, the low price point of smaller sets doesn't necessarily mean a higher volume of sales. 
    Marshallmariopxchrisiwybs
    edited October 22
    CCC said:
    It will be interesting to see how well these sets sell, and whether LEGO does future rounds.....
    I wondered the same. It's quite conceivable that none of these bigger, more expensive sets will get enough pre-orders to make the cut which would I think prompt a rethink.
    iwybs
    Yeah. I don't see the resale value in these, which will cut down the people buying them for investment so it seems unlikely these will sell out instantly like the castle last time, especially since the max is now 2 instead of 5.

I guess we'll see. I hope I am wrong, as it would be a shame for them not to go ahead in future, but this round just doesn't look good value compared even with the RRPs of regular LEGO sets.
    MarshallmarioBumblepantsdaewoo
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 869
    edited October 22
    Max is 2 now is it? I thought it was 1 per person?

Edit: apparently it's even worse, it's one per household.

Sorry Mrs Bricktuary and the little Bricktuaries, you miss out.
    Ah, I thought they said it would go to 2, but could be wrong. I haven't checked if the FAQ has changed.