Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Nintendo/Mario Discussion

Comments

• mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 197
    Fireheart said:
    I ordered 2 x 71374 (as my son wanted to build one), thinking that 2 individual 71374 will turn up in a LEGO parcel.. on opening the shipping box was another shipping box sealed, and on the label was;

Never had that before, a 2 pack sealed box of a large set. 
    Fascinating.  I had a friend order two from LEGO.com and his sets arrived in individual boxes with no "inner 2-box case".

Perhaps that could be a regional/EU thing?
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 708
    My Saturn V from John Lewis came in an inner box designed for two of the set, just like this, only half had been replaced with inflated packaging, leaving just the set I ordered. Presumably they'd removed the other one and packaged it individually (or put it out on a shelf in store), and decided to reuse LEGO's box when shipping to me. 
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 793
    Are online-only instructions just a cost-saving measure? Do they think people who are new to LEGO wouldn’t like an instruction booklet and would prefer it digitally?
    560Heliport
  • stetstet Member Posts: 45
    My soon to be 6 year old wants this but does not have a phone or tablet.  I think I can print out instructions from Lego's site for these sets.  However, is he going to be missing anything playing with this without connecting to the app?  It seems like it should be stand alone but I'm not sure.  What is the purpose of connecting Mario to the app using Bluetooth?
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,011
    stet said:
    My soon to be 6 year old wants this but does not have a phone or tablet.  I think I can print out instructions from Lego's site for these sets.  However, is he going to be missing anything playing with this without connecting to the app?  It seems like it should be stand alone but I'm not sure.  What is the purpose of connecting Mario to the app using Bluetooth?
    You don't necessarily need to app. 

The main things you will miss are:

1) Detailed breakdown of coins collected for each enemy/section etc during each course run. You can save and take a picture of the course. I find it interesting to see where you get lots of coins. 

2) Join online weekly challenges and see other people's challenges. 

panchox1stetWeepy_Donuts
  • Weepy_DonutsWeepy_Donuts Greenville, SCMember Posts: 19
    My understanding is that Lego found that kids just started playing with the interactive Mario when they were given paper instructions. The virtual instructions were an attempt to get kids to see all that Mario can do before they start creating courses.

My kids (10, 8 & 6) liked using the virtual instructions, but we only built the Starter Pack, the $20 Whomp set and a handful of blind bags. I don't think the larger sets (i.e. Bowser's Castle) would benefit much from the virtual instructions.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,443
    The thing I’ve found with the digital
    instructions is that I can see how they can be useful. Stuff like being able to move the instructions view around to check how stuff fits is great, but the execution here is bad. 

Not including physical instructions takes away the easy option for just playing with the LEGO. It assumes everyone will always have internet access to build these things, which might generally be the case it isn’t 100% certain. Also what happens when the app gets retired (which will happen sooner or later) - I’m sure the instructions will be available on LEGO’s website but it will make for an even bigger pain for anyone trying to just play with the LEGO.

Making it so the starter set instructions don’t appear until Mario is connected is the biggest mistake though, as the batteries for Mario are not included I can imagine a lot of people not having the right batteries but wanting to build the course ready getting thoroughly annoyed that they can’t - all they needed to do was include the instructions on the selects screen like all the other sets!
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 939

Shib said:
    Making it so the starter set instructions don’t appear until Mario is connected is the biggest mistake though, as the batteries for Mario are not included I can imagine a lot of people not having the right batteries but wanting to build the course ready getting thoroughly annoyed that they can’t - all they needed to do was include the instructions on the selects screen like all the other sets!

Hopefully that, at least, can be fixed with just a future update of the app. I do understand the frustration though I also understand why the app is necessary as a component of the experience (especially if the sets continue to the point of needing additional updates to Mario before playing with newer expansions).
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,561
    Does anyone know if Mario can scan the stickers from a picture of the part or if it only works with the physical part in hand? 
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,946
    ^ Yes, there's an interesting video about creating your own barcodes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69r-DTAlRg&t=5s
    Coolguy5000dpa1ShibFizyx
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,561
    Huw said:
    ^ Yes, there's an interesting video about creating your own barcodes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69r-DTAlRg&t=5s
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. 
  • LegoEveryoneLegoEveryone Virginia, USAMember Posts: 13
    Is there a method to getting all the characters without buying blind bags until the set is complete? Is like a way to get a "boxed set" or "complete series"? 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,443
    Huw said:
    Interesting video, but I find it weird that they basically say that working only with LEGO is restricting so they make all the paper/cardboard stuff when all that stuff could have also been made from LEGO...
    560Heliport
  • MinifiguresPlusMinifiguresPlus Member Posts: 201

For those who did not see in my separate post:

We have secured a shipment of Super Mario Character Packs and have the following price available to members here:

Set - $63
    Box - $109

Please message with PayPal email address for invoice if you are interested. These are in stock now and will ship in 1-2 business days from the time of payment. Free shipping domesticall. International shipping for $10 and $25 respectively.

Happy building,

Jon

Fizyx
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,221
    This was far worse than I ever imagined, and my expectations were low. I picked up the starter kit today on a whim (stupidly leaving the Spider-ham set on the shelf instead), and it was literally the worst Lego experience I've ever had. The instructions were unbearable, demanding that you watch inane videos every other step. Like, you can't open the next step until you watch the damned video. After slogging through all of that, you're left with a series of half assed builds strung together by a few plates. After about five minutes of getting Mario to scan the various barcodes, it all went promptly into a ziplock to rot in storage.
    I love me some juvenile sets from time to time, but this was absurd. I will never slag on a 4+ set again after this. No matter how bad they are, they could be so.much.worse.
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 772
    klinton said:
    This was far worse than I ever imagined, and my expectations were low. I picked up the starter kit today on a whim (stupidly leaving the Spider-ham set on the shelf instead), and it was literally the worst Lego experience I've ever had. The instructions were unbearable, demanding that you watch inane videos every other step. Like, you can't open the next step until you watch the damned video. After slogging through all of that, you're left with a series of half assed builds strung together by a few plates. After about five minutes of getting Mario to scan the various barcodes, it all went promptly into a ziplock to rot in storage.
    I love me some juvenile sets from time to time, but this was absurd. I will never slag on a 4+ set again after this. No matter how bad they are, they could be so.much.worse.
    PDF instructions can be downloaded.

klintonericb
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,139
    klinton said:
    So you're not looking forward to the second wave of sets then?
    FizyxmattytreksmsandersNicksBricksKungFuKennyflord
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 1,010
    Just a quick question requiring a simple answer please...

I’m not into Mario so have paid little attention to this theme but it’s on my son’s Xmas list. 

Am I right in thinking that all of the sets are useless without the starter pack with Mario (that is out of stock at [email protected])?

thanks
    SumoLego
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,177
    LuLego said:

I’m not into Mario so have paid little attention to this theme but it’s on my son’s Xmas list. 

Am I right in thinking that all of the sets are useless without the starter pack with Mario (that is out of stock at [email protected])?

thanks

Yes, although you can get just the Mario figure on Bricklink here, which I THINK you can use without the starter set (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), but you are looking at ~25$+shipping.
    LuLegoKungFuKenny
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 629
    Fizyx said:
    LuLego said:

thanks

Yes, although you can get just the Mario figure on Bricklink here, which I THINK you can use without the starter set (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), but you are looking at ~25$+shipping.
    I wouldn't recommend doing this as the start pipe and the ending flagpole are required to play levels.
    LyichirFizyxstluxLegoEveryone
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 1,010
    Thanks both.
    FizyxSumoLego
  • Diamondback_SixDiamondback_Six USAMember Posts: 183
    I'm just gonna drop one thought here...

LEGO Mariokart WHEN? :)
    bpk2300
  • HenkdeVriesHenkdeVries NetherlandsMember Posts: 86
    This morning we replaced the batteries in Mario and after that the scanning function was not working properly. He did not recognize the start pipe and many other things.

I did a search and found a bit in YouTube where they put a drop op water on the sensors and kept jumping on different  surfaces and it seemed to work again. I tried this as well and it worked, but this is a workaround I do not want to have to do each time.

Does anyone have experience with this as well by any chance? My 7-year old was bummed out (to say the least) when Mario did not work as before...
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 629
    My interest in this theme has recently been revitalised by watching some reviews of the expansion sets. Currently I have the starter set, most of the first series of character packs, and the NES. Which would you recommend out of the expansion packs? I'm currently eyeing up Thwomp Drop and Guarded Fortress.
    My interest in this theme has recently been revitalised by watching some reviews of the expansion sets. Currently I have the starter set, most of the first series of character packs, and the NES. Which would you recommend out of the expansion packs? I'm currently eyeing up Thwomp Drop and Guarded Fortress.
    It's pricey but of all the expansion packs I've gotten so far, my favorite has been the Bowser's Castle Boss Battle. It's got all the components you need to make a really awesome boss encounter for the end of your level. And in terms of the "traditional" price per piece metric it's one of the better values for money.

The new Master Your Adventure Maker Set is also a good add-on to the starter pack, especially once you have a couple more expansions (since the "neutral" sorts of ground platforms from the starter set will only stretch so far once you have to use them to link other expansions together). The 30-second start pipe provides a neat option for making levels more challenging, and the customizable blocks can create some great variety for your levels with the possibility of adding both positive and negative effects.

Other packs I've enjoyed have been King Boo and the Haunted Yard (another option for an "end boss" with a neat aesthetic and good gameplay), Toad's Treasure Hunt (which has great character builds and a lot of great components for if you want to make larger, more puzzle-like levels, including the pink coin blocks and a treasure chest that you can hide any block type in), and Desert Pokey (one of the cheapest expansion sets but with a great build and a fun built-in gameplay loop)

dpa1SirBrickalotOfLegomsanders
  • vvmilanvvmilan USAMember Posts: 19
    A new nintendo set is coming, less than the NES piece count, maybe a switch?
    vvmilan said:
    A new nintendo set is coming, less than the NES piece count, maybe a switch?
    Not sure how they'd make a Switch set as engaging as the NES considering that even a life-size one isn't really big enough for those kinds of mechanical functions (even if they had a TV with it to represent it "docked", modern TVs tend to be flat).

If it were based on a console or other piece of Nintendo "hardware", then maybe it could be something that accompanied the NES like the "R.O.B." toy robot, or an expansion to the original set featuring a different game like Zelda. (with a new TV and cartridge for the NES set but not the console itself, explaining the reduced cost).

But frankly, there's so much else that it could be. Could even be an expansion to the more "game-y" Mario sets, maybe a big location like Princess Peach's Castle or a Mario Kart racetrack and vehicles.

Fizyx
  • BrickBeltBrickBelt United StatesMember Posts: 29
    If there's a new general Nintendo set coming my guess would be Zelda. It's been an incredibly popular theme on Ideas since it was Lego Cusou or whatever, and this year is Zelda's anniversary like Mario's last year.

I've been collecting the Mario sets and right now I'm looking for the character packs. I guess I waited too long on those? Are they out of print or just out of stock from the holidays?

Another option would be DK. There's runors of a new DK game and it's getting a theme park addition just like Mario.
    Lyichir said:
    It's pricey but of all the expansion packs I've gotten so far, my favorite has been the Bowser's Castle Boss Battle. It's got all the components you need to make a really awesome boss encounter for the end of your level. And in terms of the "traditional" price per piece metric it's one of the better values for money.

The new Master Your Adventure Maker Set is also a good add-on to the starter pack, especially once you have a couple more expansions (since the "neutral" sorts of ground platforms from the starter set will only stretch so far once you have to use them to link other expansions together). The 30-second start pipe provides a neat option for making levels more challenging, and the customizable blocks can create some great variety for your levels with the possibility of adding both positive and negative effects.

Other packs I've enjoyed have been King Boo and the Haunted Yard (another option for an "end boss" with a neat aesthetic and good gameplay), Toad's Treasure Hunt (which has great character builds and a lot of great components for if you want to make larger, more puzzle-like levels, including the pink coin blocks and a treasure chest that you can hide any block type in), and Desert Pokey (one of the cheapest expansion sets but with a great build and a fun built-in gameplay loop)

Great recommendations! For me Bowser`s Castle and King Boo are great sets. Bowser`s Castle because, well, its Bowser, but also it offers a great challenge and you get a 30 sec time block. For King Boo, another great boss battle but also you get the Star block which means you get extra coins for killing your enemies.

My own personal recommendation is Whomp`s lava trouble set since it has the P block - you can get soooo many coins when you use this block by just jumping up and down. 

With those 3 sets you cover most of the extra blocks. Although, some of them can now be got in the new Master your adventures since you can customise some blocks - this is a fun little set and some nice new music for the 30 sec pipe. 

Finally, I love Toad`s treasure hunt. Its a good set that includes many aspects that add to the play value - turning platform, side-to-side platform, treasure hunt and a few enemies. 

P.S. I love Wiggler`s poison swamp as well. Wiggler is cute and a fun little build and mechanism. 

Our little boy was playing with Mario this morning, bounced him on his purple PJs and asked why Mario seemed to be in a different kind of water...!
    560HeliportSirBrickalotOfLego
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 811
    @BrickBelt
    I just picked up Mario Character packs at Walmart for $4.19 each on Jan 2nd.  I waited for a discount and was super lucky to find a pretty full box so I got a full set for my son. 
    560Heliport
  • BrickBeltBrickBelt United StatesMember Posts: 29
    bmwlego said:
    @BrickBelt
    I just picked up Mario Character packs at Walmart for $4.19 each on Jan 2nd.  I waited for a discount and was super lucky to find a pretty full box so I got a full set for my son. 
    Huh, I've looked at a few stores and haven't been able to find anything :/

On a side note can we get Suoer Mario 3D World's + Bowser's Fury's "God Slayer Bowser" with the next wave?
  • KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 253
    That being said... I am seriously not a fan of online only instructions. This is a terrible idea. I'm taking down the PDFs to my computer and saving them so I'll have access to them in future, but honestly LEGO should have given us something physical.
    Agreed. However I fear, that digital instructions may be happening more often in the future... :-(

I hope they do - they're amazing for kids. They show how the parts go together, which part of a larger build you're building, and there's only one instruction per page, which helps with concentration and not losing your place.

I still think physical instructions should be given with most sets too, but the digital instructions you get with the Mario sets are brilliant for kids.
    benbacardistluxFizyxLyichir
  • MinifiguresPlusMinifiguresPlus Member Posts: 201

Hello Bricksetters!

We are happy to announce a pre-order of the Mario Series 2 Character Packs.

There are 20 packets in a box and 10 unique characters to collect.

Box price: $138 + FREE Domestic Shipping ($25 international)

Set price: $74 + FREE Domestic Shipping ($10 international)

Please PM with your PayPal email address for an invoice. 
    Shipping early February.

Happy Building,
    Jon from Minifigures Plus

• FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,177

Hello Bricksetters!

We are happy to announce a pre-order of the Mario Series 2 Character Packs.

There are 20 packets in a box and 10 unique characters to collect.

Box price: $138 + FREE Domestic Shipping ($25 international)

Set price: $74 + FREE Domestic Shipping ($10 international)

Please PM with your PayPal email address for an invoice. 
    Shipping early February.

Happy Building,
    Jon from Minifigures Plus

Dang, I usually get my figure sets from you guys, but since it looked like you guys might not do the character packs this time I ended up getting them somewhere else just a couple of days ago :(
  • jedivalkyriejedivalkyrie Member Posts: 250
    Does anyone have a map of Series 3 order in a new case?   Just in the off chance I find an unopened one..........
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 898
    ^ Alas, it's not the same nice and easy 'pick a row' that it used to be.  Can't even guarantee a full set in a sealed box: https://brickset.com/article/62932/super-mario-series-3-box-distribution
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,379
    There is a disturbing lack of Ludwig in this selection...
    SeijiAmasawa
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 247
    @SumoLego sorry it’s not Lego.

Mods, please remove if pics are not allowed.
    SumoLego560HeliportFizyx
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,072
    Apparently Nintendo rewards has a Mario keychain and VIP rewards has Luigi. Good luck @SumoLego!
    ericbvizzitor
    The keychain is 500 points. If you link your Nintendo and Lego VIP accounts you can earn 250 points.
    vizzitor
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,379
    - checking to see if it is a LEGO product -
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,177
    I snagged the Mario keychain and redeemed for the Luigi keychain. Now I just need to place an order...
  • SquirrelFromSpaceSquirrelFromSpace The MoonMember Posts: 47
    My understanding is that Lego found that kids just started playing with the interactive Mario when they were given paper instructions. The virtual instructions were an attempt to get kids to see all that Mario can do before they start creating courses.

My kids (10, 8 & 6) liked using the virtual instructions, but we only built the Starter Pack, the $20 Whomp set and a handful of blind bags. I don't think the larger sets (i.e. Bowser's Castle) would benefit much from the virtual instructions.
    Personally, I'm of the opinion of both are nice to have. 
    Digital is great in case you lose the physical instructions. Brickset/LEGO's archives have saved me a ton of headache since they have instructions stored online!

But if I don't want to go online, or for whatever reason don't have the means, I would like to have that as an option.
    560Heliport
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,207
    I snagged the Mario keychain and redeemed for the Luigi keychain. Now I just need to place an order...
    The keychain never appeared on the rewards page for me (refreshing intermittently since this morning)… did it go quickly?
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,177
    The Luigi keychain shows as redeemed for me so I don't know if it is sold out.

The Mario keychain is on Nintendo's site.
    https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/7c1e50d30ec5fd22?imp=LyN1zU9mUt7oLC-uzceg__eVGVk_Ouucdhu2avNW:reward_list:1:1
    Exciting offers on this. I managed to redeem for the Luigi keychain. For Mario on Nintendo, I am 10 points from the 400 (already used the Lego 200 plat points on offer). I linked my facebook and other accounts, but the plat points are still showing as locked. Not sure whether I just need to wait. 

Anyone not going to use their Plat points from Lego rewards?
  • michael40plusmichael40plus UKMember Posts: 2
    A quick way to earn nintendo points is to play fire emblem heroes on your mobile/cell phone . You can earn 100 platinum points for just playing the prologue.