Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,524
    ...if TLG would ever consider UCS ST sets...
    Isn't everyone eagerly awaiting a UCS Kylo Ren Shuttle?

- crickets -

Huh, does the Razorcrest count?  It's post-OT...
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,120
    SumoLego said:

- crickets -

UCS Headless AT-ST, 159 pieces, $199.99
    560HeliportFizyxYellowcastleBrainsluggedKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,723
    SumoLego said:

- crickets -

I don't think they can really do this amazing vehicle justice for less than $400.
    560HeliportYellowcastleSumoLegoAstrobricksKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,120
    pxchris said:
    SumoLego said:

- crickets -

I don't think they can really do this amazing vehicle justice for less than $400.
    Maybe if they add in some of those giant fire pieces and spring loaded launchers from the 4+ city line?
    pxchris560HeliportYellowcastlegmonkey76
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,129
    SumoLego said:

- crickets -

Stick it on an ideas.lego.com poll - someone will vote for it.
    YellowcastleKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 338
    edited July 2021
    TLG should have made the Gunship the Clone Wars version, fully enclosed, with the doors built closed. Then the doors would look properly flush and the lack of troops in the troop compartment of a troop transport wouldn't have been so obvious....
    ^^ Agreed.
    At first glance I liked the look of this model, but after reading several reviews and studying the photos I think the door issue would bug the hell out of me.  It seems lazy and phoned-in.  I originally voted for the TIE Bomber, so this is an easy pass for me.  Fingers crossed for a stellar AT-AT.

560Heliport
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    If the At-At crosses its fingers, it’s likely going to fall down and could endanger any nearby headless At-St.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76
    Maybe if they add in some of those giant fire pieces and spring loaded launchers from the 4+ city line?
    Flick Fire Missiles!  And some Super Jumpers!!!!
    560HeliportBumblepantsgmonkey76
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 133
    Too bad the Gunship didn't come with a few extra parts and an alternate option for the build so that it could be built either open sided or closed.  My personal preference would be to have it closed in as a display model.
    560HeliportMaffyD
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,108
    Thank The Maker that it’s not some hidden Comic Con exclusive!

(The meditation chamber might be though)
    KungFuKennyYo_dACaptainRogersgmonkey76FizyxLordmoral
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,096
    Meditation Chamber is definitely not an exclusive:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/darth-vader-meditation-chamber-75296
    The_RancorAstrobricks
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,809
    autolycus said:
    Meditation Chamber is definitely not an exclusive:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/darth-vader-meditation-chamber-75296
    I saw a price tag for #75296 on a shelf in Walmart yesterday. No sets, just the tag. But I got #75316 Mandalorian Starfighter at a different Walmart. I was looking for clearance sets, didn't see much, but it was worth trying! :)
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 793
    I like the new gunship and the scale or the doors don’t bother me much. It won’t be long before someone has instructions up to make the doors fully close.

Like @CapnRex101 said upthread the choice of minifigs is hard to understand. First, only 2 minifigs in such a huge model. To me there clearly needs to be a pilot. I’m not upset about the lack of a P2 Cody, but how about a few more clones? It is a transport ship for clones after all.
    gmonkey76SquirrelFromSpace
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 594
    anyone else see this today, star wars scenes photographed in Lego. Love how the reporter asks his kid if the lego was his.....

Dorset photographer shoots Star Wars Lego in cinematic style - BBC News
    Addicted2OxygenAstrobricks
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,859
    ^ That’s great! But then there’s the cleanup 😳
  • SquirrelFromSpaceSquirrelFromSpace The MoonMember Posts: 47
    flord said:
    I like the new gunship and the scale or the doors don’t bother me much. It won’t be long before someone has instructions up to make the doors fully close.

Like @CapnRex101 said upthread the choice of minifigs is hard to understand. First, only 2 minifigs in such a huge model. To me there clearly needs to be a pilot. I’m not upset about the lack of a P2 Cody, but how about a few more clones? It is a transport ship for clones after all.
    I'm kinda glad they didn't go with putting exclusive figures in there. At least, not exclusive figures of major characters you can't get elsewhere. I'd love to have a 1989 Batman, but can't afford the Batmobile/Batwing and can't bring myself to spend $50 on him.

I do agree that a pilot and some more basic clones should have been included, though.

Windu was a good choice for a Jedi in my opinion since Geonosis was the scene where he first got his time to shine. That, and you can still get him from other sets. 
    gmonkey76Yellowcastle
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 555
    Anyone know what time the gunship is anticipated to drop? Have limited internet so want to give myself the best shot at getting one.
    SquirrelFromSpace
  • SquirrelFromSpaceSquirrelFromSpace The MoonMember Posts: 47
    Jackad7 said:
    Anyone know what time the gunship is anticipated to drop? Have limited internet so want to give myself the best shot at getting one.
    Isn't it usually around or after midnight?

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,747
    Jackad7 said:
    Isn't it usually around or after midnight?

It's usually a little after 11pm Central Time
    SquirrelFromSpaceKungFuKenny
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,186
    Not wishing to get into the debate on the front page around the heads used in the AT-AT set but something confused me. People seemed to be saying that all troopers were white men but I always thought all troopers were the same white man - clones. Is this something I have got wrong all my life? I need educating!
    AstrobricksLordmoral
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 649
    SMC said:
    Not wishing to get into the debate on the front page around the heads used in the AT-AT set but something confused me. People seemed to be saying that all troopers were white men but I always thought all troopers were the same white man - clones. Is this something I have got wrong all my life? I need educating!
    Clonetroopers were clones, Stormtroopers are conscripts. At least that's what I've always believed...
    stluxKungFuKennySumoLegoLordmoral
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,192
    SMC said:

AFAIK (and I could be very wrong!) Stormtroopers were only clones for a very limited time right at the inception of the Empire.  The cloning was shut down pretty early, and after that they used regular recruitment/conscription to fill Stormtrooper ranks. 
    Yo_dAKungFuKennygmonkey76brickedinLordmoral
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,723
    Clone troopers were all cloned after one (not-white) man - Jango Fet, played by a maori actor.
    Storm troopers are conscripts from all over the galaxy and though there is a distinct imperial bias to humanoids, I don't believe race or sex was ever an issue.
    KungFuKenny
    Yeah I guess I am talking about the pre prequel assumption when watching the OT films in which troopers weren't real people so it didn't matter how many were killed. It was obvious that they were different by hight for example but this was just put down to being able to find extras rather than a choice so I looked past it.

Then we got the prequels which seemed to reinforce clones being a thing and added that they must all look like Jango.

Then I get lost in the different amounts of cannon non-cannon recanting.

Then in the latest trilogy its clear that they are not clones.

Anyway at one point in time when we just had the OT was thinking they were clones a thing or did I just make that up in my head? 
    Lordmoral
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,096
    SMC said:
    Yeah I guess I am talking about the pre prequel assumption when watching the OT films in which troopers weren't real people so it didn't matter how many were killed. It was obvious that they were different by hight for example but this was just put down to being able to find extras rather than a choice so I looked past it.

Then we got the prequels which seemed to reinforce clones being a thing and added that they must all look like Jango.

Anyway at one point in time when we just had the OT was thinking they were clones a thing or did I just make that up in my head? 
    There's a reference in A New Hope to "the Clone Wars", but we're never given any suggestion that the stormtroopers are clones.

I also don't think we ever see a stormtrooper with their helmet off--and we certainly don't see ALL of them with their helmets off--so I don't know why anybody would assume they're all racially white and male.

As noted above, the clones aren't ethnically white. The actor who plays Jango Fett is Maori. (He's also Boba Fett in Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett because Boba is a clone of Jango as well.)
    KungFuKenny
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 164
    Fizyx said:
    SMC said:

AFAIK (and I could be very wrong!) Stormtroopers were only clones for a very limited time right at the inception of the Empire.  The cloning was shut down pretty early, and after that they used regular recruitment/conscription to fill Stormtrooper ranks. 
    Spoiler alert, if you've not seen The Bad Batch...
    The series (which takes place following Order 66 from Episode 3) references the switch from clones to conscripts quite explicitly. Early on in the show the Empire state that clones are too expensive and decide to shut down the operation on Kamino, permanently. There follows a period where new conscripts serve alongside clones, wearing the same armour. By the end of the first season we see the first iteration of stormtrooper armour, and it's intimated that clones might be of no further use to the Empire.

brickedin
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 133
    When the UCS Millennium Falcon was released, there was a thing with [email protected] where you needed to have someone at home to sign for it in order for it to be delivered.  Has anyone heard if there is going to be the same requirement when purchasing the new AT-AT?
    SMC said:
    I need educating!
    Frankly, they were identity-less automatons complaining about new laser rifles.  In reviewing a few of the comments on the main site, I definitely got the impression people have moved on from complaining about mini-dolls and are now going to be internet outraged about Stormtroopers.

It's safe to say that all of the Stormtroopers were played by average white British actors.  It was 1976... in England... on a limited budget... in 1976.

I preferred the Stormtrooper minifigures with the faceless black heads, as I think that perfectly captures the essence of Stormtroopers.  Now there is a variety of heads.  Wonderful.  

If you're going to base your purchase decision for a LEGO set costing roughly the same amount as an iPhone on the variety of minifigure heads...
    KungFuKenny560HeliportBumblepantsgmonkey76Fizyxpxchrispvp3020
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,267
    edited November 2021
    SumoLego said:
    I definitely got the impression people have moved on from complaining about mini-dolls and are now going to be internet outraged about Stormtroopers.

I’m outraged we don’t have a Daniel Craig FN-1824 Stormtrooper yet…

SumoLegopxchris
    ^ I need educating about Star War cannon but a few people seem to need educating on 1976 England.

Elstree studios inside the M25 so London in 1976, extras more than actors. I think there may have been some diversity.

But was that even where the hoth sceen was short?

For me the heads did stand out because it interfered with my head cannon. Not because they had to be white man but because they had to be identical to each other.

Maybe its because it became lego cannon too where they used to be all the same.

But I don't think it will change anyone's mind on buying an 3/4 1k set and I didn't see anyone claiming it would.
    SumoLegoKungFuKenny
    edited November 2021
    And as I recall, the Hoth scenes included segments of the Norweigan Army, so I would presume a limited amount of diversity.

My other assumption would be that the wardrobe/props department would have preferred as much uniformity for Stormtroopers - so they could be literally interchangeable for the sake of budget.

I suppose my point is that I find the outage to be facile and squarely in the Abe Simpson yelling at the clouds...
    KungFuKennyFizyx
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,859
    Here’s hoping for an outage of outrage ;-)
    KungFuKenny560Heliport
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 582
    It only makes sense that there's another SW-related Lego controversy now that the whole "Boba Fett's Starship" thing has died down, thus, maintaining balance in the Force.  ;)
    Bumblepants560Heliportautolycus
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,505
    A quick change of subject, if I may?

Are there any updates to the rumours of a new Hoth AT-ST?  I'm still a little surprised about this, given that the AT-ST Raider from The Mandalorian is available, but hopeful at the same time!
    Me to some of the people on the front page:
    ”You dislike TLG’s Stormtrooper heads because there’s too much diversity for you in a set of fictional soldiers that almost never take their helmets off”
    ”I dislike TLG’s Stormtrooper heads because it makes collecting all the minifigure variants created since 2020 slightly irksome”
    “We are not the same”.

It’s weird that these people only just noticed and decided to take offence too. I mean, other previous sets like the Imperial Armoured Marauder had a good mix of heads. The price is far more offensive to me than anything about the actual set!
    CapnRex101KungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76arathemisLobotpvp3020
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,747
    ^ That and it's the only way to get Luke's Lightsaber. I know it's  childish to complain about, but having to spend $800 right now to get a GWP is probably out of the picture for a lot of people.
    KungFuKenny
    A quick change of subject, if I may?

Are there any updates to the rumours of a new Hoth AT-ST?  I'm still a little surprised about this, given that the AT-ST Raider from The Mandalorian is available, but hopeful at the same time!
    There are rumours of this and I thought the same. Possible TLG are about to mark the Mando one as retiring before 2022 though still.
    JudgeChuck
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,117
    autolycus said:
    SMC said:

There's a reference in A New Hope to "the Clone Wars", but we're never given any suggestion that the stormtroopers are clones.

I also don't think we ever see a stormtrooper with their helmet off--and we certainly don't see ALL of them with their helmets off--so I don't know why anybody would assume they're all racially white and male.

As noted above, the clones aren't ethnically white. The actor who plays Jango Fett is Maori. (He's also Boba Fett in Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett because Boba is a clone of Jango as well.)
    In ANH when Leia is being rescued, she asks Luke "aren't you  little short to be a storm trooper?". I took that to mean they were a standard height because they were clones, rather than a minimum height spec for conscripts. I suppose that if you fed, raised and exercised one clone differently to another, you'd get height variation.
    I have a suspicion that no matter how much behind the scenes evidence is shown that the actors playing these characters were ethnically and genderly(?) diverse, some of the people that are most up in arms against this still wouldn't change their stance that the entirety of the empire are all supposed to be white guys with British accents.   Because, in their mind's eye and self-created canon, that's how the Star Wars universe is.  Similarly, it's also why I think so many people can't accept the prequel trilogy and/or the sequel trilogy because it deviates from what they think Star Wars should be based on how they processed the OT.  But let's not open that can of worms...
    Fizyx560Heliport
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,012
    I'm very much in two minds about the AT-AT. 

It's certainly highly impressive and in theory there's no reason why I can't buy one, but I'm feeling quite unsettled by the UK's pricing somehow, it just seems too much.  I'd hoped that my wife would help by giving me one of her 'highly disappointed' looks when I casually mentioned the price tag (thus giving me a suitable reason not to buy it) but to my amazement she's offered to get one for me!

Ironically, she started my minor obsession by giving me #10178 many years ago (and has undoubtedly regretted it on many occasions since) - so this does seem a little out of character for her!
    KungFuKennybrickedin560HeliportAstrobricksAddicted2Oxygen
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2021
    Fizyx said:
    SMC said:

Spoiler alert, if you've not seen The Bad Batch...
    The series (which takes place following Order 66 from Episode 3) references the switch from clones to conscripts quite explicitly. Early on in the show the Empire state that clones are too expensive and decide to shut down the operation on Kamino, permanently. There follows a period where new conscripts serve alongside clones, wearing the same armour. By the end of the first season we see the first iteration of stormtrooper armour, and it's intimated that clones might be of no further use to the Empire.

The Empire discarding the Clones at the end of the Clone Wars was covered on multiple occasions, including a whole story arc in Rebels - which gave us #75157 Captain Rex's AT-TE.
    KungFuKennyAstrobricksSumoLegoiwybs
  • Diamondback_SixDiamondback_Six USAMember Posts: 238
    In ANH when Leia is being rescued, she asks Luke "aren't you  little short to be a storm trooper?". I took that to mean they were a standard height because they were clones, rather than a minimum height spec for conscripts. I suppose that if you fed, raised and exercised one clone differently to another, you'd get height variation.
    Well, there are certain real-world military units with exacting physical requirements... for example, a US Army horse cavalryman could be no taller than 5'6" and no heavier than 120lb because that was the most weight a cavalry horse could carry after being loaded with all the gear.

Similarly, to be eligible for a tour as a Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier you must be no shorter than 5'10" and no taller than 6'2" (required for a stride length to pass from one About Face to the other in 21 steps) and a waist no larger than 30".
    560Heliportiwybs
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,117
    Lobot said:
    I'm very much in two minds about the AT-AT. 

It's certainly highly impressive and in theory there's no reason why I can't buy one, but I'm feeling quite unsettled by the UK's pricing somehow, it just seems too much.  I'd hoped that my wife would help by giving me one of her 'highly disappointed' looks when I casually mentioned the price tag (thus giving me a suitable reason not to buy it) but to my amazement she's offered to get one for me!

Ironically, she started my minor obsession by giving me #10178 many years ago (and has undoubtedly regretted it on many occasions since) - so this does seem a little out of character for her!
    She's just bought a £1200.handbag and is looking for the opportunity to break the news to you. A gifted AT-AT will soften the blow!.:)
    LobotKungFuKenny560HeliportEGRoberts
    Lobot said:
    @SumoLego - this photo is included in 'The Making of Star Wars' (p176) and was taken in Tunisia; it's well worth a read if you haven't (although the ESB version is even better!).

I suppose this undermines a presumptive argument that was an excuse to make a subtle political statement.  (And highlights that being outraged at Stormtrooper diversity in a 2021 LEGO set on really any basis is a waste of electronic ink.)

Good job, everyone!
    KungFuKenny560HeliportAstrobrickspxchrisLobotOldTownBricksiwybs
    Is it just me, or is this a thing?
    I saw this on a Facebook listing and am assuming this is an amusing fake...

EGRoberts
    SumoLego said:
    Is it just me, or is this a thing?
    I saw this on a Facebook listing and am assuming this is an amusing fake...

Nope, it's real.  That caught my eye at Target a little while ago and I had a WTF moment until I saw they were all like that.  You can even see it at the top of the image below, which I pulled from Target's site.

bpk2300
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,267
    edited November 2021
    @SumoLego
    I always assumed that was done on purpose. In France he is actually known as Dark Vador (Including in all of the French dubbed versions of the films).  I think other characters have different names as well… (Sort of like calling the child “El Niño”)

Edit:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/amphtml/World/Europe/2015/1216/Darth-Vader-or-Dark-Vador-France-gives-Star-Wars-a-Gallic-twist
    gmonkey76
    edited November 2021
    As a fun side activity you can check out this version of Darth Vader speaking with a French accent…
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJRjCM22r68

It always makes me envision Darth Vader sitting down to beef bourguignon (paired with a nice Pinot Noir) for dinner…