Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UK - Can we expect Corner Garage to be discounted before retirement

jason_nijason_ni Member Posts: 32
edited July 2021 in Buying & Selling Topics
As stated in the title, I've been wanting to pick this up for a while, and have missed the sales in the past.  

Do we reckon there is any hope of another sale in the run up to the end of the year, or should I just bite the bullet if I want the set, and buy it at RRP?

When sets do retire, is there a set month it normally happens, or am I ok till December?

Comments

• HuwHuw Administrator Posts: 7,046
    Unlikely -- premium sets like that are rarely discounted nowadays. There's no need for them to be. Bite the bullet!

Sets are retired when they run out of stock so it could be any time!
    madforLEGO
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,438
    Buy it Aug.1 and get the free sailboat GWP
    MarshallmariomadforLEGO
  • jason_nijason_ni Member Posts: 32
    Buy it Aug.1 and get the free sailboat GWP

This is a good suggestion!
  • ShropshireShropshire Member Posts: 644
    edited July 2021
    There will be more sales, whether that set is in it or if there's any stock by then would be pure guesswork/gamble.

For premium sets best candidate is often black friday / cyber monday sale... but the odds of a retiring set still having stock that late in its lifecycle is just gamble on top of gamble before you get to the "am I quick enough to buy one of the X copies available"

Best advice has been given above, buy it when there's a GWP you like.. so at least you feel better about it.. if it does discount in future it's just sod's law but nothing that diminishes your pleasure from the set.
  • arathemisarathemis Member Posts: 510
    In romania modulars (and other exclusives) are discounted all the time. I rarely bought one in the past 5 yearsthat did not have at least 30% off.
    Is this not the case in us/uk? 
    oldtodd33
    arathemis said:
    In romania modulars (and other exclusives) are discounted all the time. I rarely bought one in the past 5 yearsthat did not have at least 30% off.
    Is this not the case in us/uk? 
    Uk based, could be wrong, but 30% seems like a big stretch for any modular set, not something we'd likely see.

If we're lucky might get 20%, but even then, its not that common on the modulars, 10-15% more common.
    In saying that, I've only recently come back to buying lego as an adult after not purchasing anything for years, so I could be completely wrong.

The rumours are that corner garage is retiring this year, so was checking if there was a chance it would be included on any future sales.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Member Posts: 4,247
    You've virtually no chance of getting the modulars discounted I'm afraid. Over the past few years, the opportunity for direct discounts - especially on large sets - has diminished almost to the point of nothing. Bottom line is, if you want an 18+ set, you'll almost certainly need to pay full price for it.
    YellowcastleKungFuKenny
  • bricktuarybricktuary Member Posts: 954
    Sometimes the specific retail outlet that gets the modular does a discount, I think that's usually John Lewis these days. #10278 Police Station was 20% off earlier this month.
    oldtodd33BrainsluggedMr_Cross
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,481
    You can get it totally free if you save up enough VIP points. Isn't that what we tell ourselves?
    FizyxYellowcastledavetheoxygenman560HeliportmadforLEGOKungFuKennyMr_CrossBumblepantsMarshallmario
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged Member Posts: 2,155
    CCC said:
    You can get it totally free if you save up enough VIP points. Isn't that what we tell ourselves?
    The way I sell it to my wife, once Lego has also chucked in some GWPs, they're basically paying me to take their Lego sets away.
    davetheoxygenman560HeliportKungFuKennypxchrisAstrobricksBumblepantsflordMarshallmarioMaffyD
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Member Posts: 10,654
    You can always roll the dice and hope that LEGO discounts it once its been discontinued to move out remaining stocks (typically and the end of the year and typically discounted around 20% off), BUT you have to hope that LEGO has enough extra stock in the set to do this and that you can be 'johnny on the spot' when they get discounted (as I doubt they will hang around long at 20% off). Like others Id say to build up some VIP points to drop the price, or do it when there is a promo and or double points (like around end of year when they have their brick friday events), but if you wait for that again you are hoping they are available as Im sure many also wait until those evens to buy these larger sets.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    CCC said:
    The way I sell it to my wife, once Lego has also chucked in some GWPs for SumoLego, they're basically paying me to take their Lego sets away.
    Edited the above for clarity.
    560HeliportShropshirepxchrisMarshallmario
    edited August 2021
    CCC said:
    The way I sell it to my wife, once Lego has also chucked in some GWPs, they're basically paying me to take their Lego sets away.

So I went with the gwp approach and bit the bullet.
    £200 was a slightly steep threshold, but picked up corner garage, infinity gauntlet for 220, and got 3 freebies.
    Amelia earhart 
    Sailboat adventure
    And little free marvel set called Shang-Chi and The Great Protector.

With the points I don't think its a bad deal, and can prob get 60 for the freebies if I was to sell them on, in saying this ill probably never sell them on!!
    drdavewatford560HeliportCymbelineBrainsluggedBumblepants