Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collecting certain parts only

Comments

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,476
    *dark bluish gray... Not light

OOPS!! 
    Tkatt
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,494
    ^^ Sequel to Alfred Hitchcock’s The BIRDSThe PARROTS!
    KungFuKennypxchris
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,979
    Man I love medium green so much.
    pxchrisCymbelineKungFuKenny
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,208
    Here I am spending so much energon learning LEGO color names and you all continue to bluish this and medium that.
    BumblepantspxchrisKungFuKenny
    Here I am spending so much energon learning LEGO color names and you all continue to bluish this and medium that.
    Ok we can call it mint chocolate chip ice cream
    560HeliportYellowcastlepxchrisgmonkey76KungFuKenny
    I 1000% vote yes for this.
    BumblepantsMr_CrossKungFuKenny
    edited July 26
    pxchris said:
    I 1000% vote yes for this.
    I think that’s voter fraud ;-)

Yeah, but whose names do you learn? Lego’s or Bricklink’s?
    pxchrisgmonkey76BumblepantsMr_CrossKungFuKenny560HeliportCymbeline
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,968
    I managed to add the new magenta bicycle to my collection, via a B&P order:
    I hadn't realised there were two shades of pink bicycle now! Thats three I still need to get now.
    @pxchris love the parrot collection

Switchfoot55Mr_CrossKungFuKennypxchris
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,055
    pxchris said:

Super happy about this one! 
    I really like the look of those parrots. My adolescent mind, however, will not let me see them sitting on anything other than tiny toilets.  🙂
    Yeah, but whose names do you learn? Lego’s or Bricklink’s?
    To me it’s somewhat pointless to learn Lego’s color names. When I need to know the color of something it’s usually because I’m trying to buy the piece on Bricklink or I’m researching the piece on Bricklink.
    JudgeChuckgmonkey76Cymbelinepxchris
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,568
    Why did Bricklink ever think it was a good idea to make up its own color names? Some of LEGO's color names are weird, true, but they're LEGO's names. Then there's things like Bright Bluish Green (LEGO), aka Dark Turquoise (Bricklink)... but a lot of AFOLs call it Teal. I've got a new name for a color: discolored white pieces should henceforth be called Ivory!
    KungFuKennyCymbelineBumblepantspxchrissonatine01stlux
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,472
    I really like the look of those parrots. My adolescent mind, however, will not let me see them sitting on anything other than tiny toilets.  🙂
    Tiny toilets? I just see big bogrolls! :-D ;-)
    KungFuKenny
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,208
    I’ve been learning the LEGO nomenclature because it helps me on PAB and BnP.

Why did Bricklink ever think it was a good idea to make up its own color names? Some of LEGO's color names are weird, true, but they're LEGO's names. Then there's things like Bright Bluish Green (LEGO), aka Dark Turquoise (Bricklink)... but a lot of AFOLs call it Teal. I've got a new name for a color: discolored white pieces should henceforth be called Ivory!
    If recollection serves, LEGO neither published their info nor stayed consistent when it got out there.  Thus, the community self governed.  But as LEGO has changed course these last few years, I imagine that Bricklink is s hodgepodge now of both systems.  And with LEGO being more transparent and also buying BL, I suspect one of the languages is going the way of the South Korean kakapo.
    560HeliportBumblepantsKungFuKennyandheiwybsMr_Cross
    edited July 27
    <snip>
    I suspect one of the languages is going the way of the South Korean kakapo.
    Too soon.

<snip>
    I've got a new name for a color: discolored white pieces should henceforth be called Ivory!
    Or maybe smoker’s tooth 🤢
    KungFuKennygmonkey76Cymbeline560Heliport
    edited July 27
    @KungFuKenny It is customary to show a pic of your whole collection. Come on, lad! ;-)

That Aquazone version of the Classic Space crater plate is fantastic, by the way!
    560HeliportKungFuKennyMr_Cross
    pxchris said:

Super happy about this one! 
    Birds are known for their pooping habits...

For laughs I’ll post a recent acquisition… since #6190 arrived I now have all of the 32x32 Crater baseplates… :-)

Continuing to put that front page article on raised baseplates to shame where it belongs!
    560HeliportKungFuKenny
    Heck, I've had all the crater baseplates since 1996! No, 1979! 
    KungFuKenny
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 708
    …because when BrickLink started, it was before LEGO released their internal colour chart so BL used their own nomenclature. Now most people who frequent BL get highly stressed if changes occur (eg. Recent Flesh to Nougat).
    Mr_Cross560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,769
    You can say the same about part names. We now know most part names direct from lego, but they are useless, there are a lot of inconsistencies, mixed languages, abbreviations  or just unsearchable names and so on.
    KungFuKenny
    ^ and ^^ Thank you both! My question was only partly rhetorical.
    DeMontes
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,082
    Also, even now, things happen which means the names are different. If I remember correctly, Lego initially stated that their latest colour was called Coral, so BL named it that too, only for Lego to later state it was Vibrant Coral.
    KungFuKenny560Heliport
    Also, even now, things happen which means the names are different. If I remember correctly, Lego initially stated that their latest colour was called Coral, so BL named it that too, only for Lego to later state it was Vibrant Coral.
    Because they had so many shades of coral to keep straight 🙄
    BumblepantsJudgeChuckKungFuKennygmonkey76Mr_CrossCymbelineOldfan
    edited July 29
    They clearly have plans to produce less vibrant coral in the future.
    KungFuKenny
    "Dull Coral", perhaps?
    YellowcastleAstrobricksKungFuKenny
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 415
    listless, washed out, "lost the will to live". . .
    560HeliportAstrobricksKungFuKenny
    Dull coral makes Jack work and play.
    560Heliport
  • FodderFodder AustraliaMember Posts: 333
    Bleached coral?
    560Heliport
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 179
    Fodder said:
    Bleached coral?

careful, you'll have Pauline coming after you.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 674
    I've noticed that a lot of LEGO colors, i.e. "Vibrant Coral", sound a lot like the useless color descriptions used by the auto makers (for instance, I once bought a car in metallic gold, but the official GM name for that color was "topaz gold metallic"). Paint companies do this, too; heaven forbid that you use the same color name year after year, must change the name so that people think it's a brand-new color! LEGO should realized that we're not impressed by fancy color names; just use a common-sense approach to colors, we won't mind...

My other thought is that perhaps there is a translation issue between the original Danish and English which lead to the "interesting" color descriptions sometimes...or that there is a certain nuance to the color in Danish that has no equivalent in English.
    560Heliport
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,644
    Well, Danish does have no word for pink.
    560Heliport
    Vibrant light red :)  (No, I didn’t look it up)
    560Heliport
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 338
    Back on topic, please!
    Speaking of coral, I really like piece 49577 but have not figured out a good use for it in any of its 3 colors.
    Bumblepantspxchrisgmonkey76Mr_CrossmadforLEGO
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 417

But it definitely isn't "light purple".
    Bike is Bright Green in Seinfeld set and I believe Pet Shop was regular type green right? Time to update the bikes collections!
    WesterBricksKungFuKennyCymbelinemadforLEGO
    Bike is Bright Green in Seinfeld set and I believe Pet Shop was regular type green right? Time to update the bikes collections!
    Nooooo!!!! I only just got the new Magenta one! ;-)
    560HeliportKungFuKennyBrickfan50
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,153

Yeah, was hoping for a cheap month from buying parts but saw that new Bike frame color....
    KungFuKennyBumblepants
    I wonder whether the AFOL desire to have all the colours is behind TLG's plan to issue a new blue Fiat . . . "Collect Them All". The green and red one must be in the works! 
    KungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76

madforLEGO560HeliportBumblepantsveyniacgmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,769
    Cymbeline said:

Only two? You didn't collect them all!
    gmonkey76
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,309
    I think I'm missing one color. Blue maybe? I'll have to check. Pretty sure I got 5 or 6 reds, around 3 yellows, and 2 greens? But no blue. Must be SUPER rare. 
    Yes, I confess that I did in fact collect them all several times over but I'm still trying to explain to myself why and what to do with them now!
  • veyniacveyniac Northwest MinnesotaMember Posts: 286
    I got the red one :)
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 417
    I think I'm missing the red one but have 2 or 3 of the other colors.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,153
    Bright green bike frame is now available at Bricks and pieces
    Bumblepants