Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Grab Bags

Comments

• littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    @princedraven - I am but my turn has come and gone. I didn't include them in because I think they're useless without the mailbox container. Didn't want to junk up the precious box..

Preciousss.....
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    ROFL yeah that's them. I am hopeful that when i go back to Phx in June they will have a better selection.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    edited April 2012
    LOL @cynthilina - I have 2 grab bags full of those little white doors.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=883&colorID=1

Thinking about just giving them away if people want to pay for shipping.
    My last grab bag lot had many hundreds of the container doors (2x3) in white! Just 5 cupboards to pair them with!

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    Will those doors snap down on like a 2x2 brick or plate?
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    @littletoki ah, never mind, just thought that is the sort of thing some people would like a handful of.
    One of the staff told me that it happens a lot - there's one size of box they get for the PaB wall. The amount of doors that fit in the box is vastly superior to the number of cupboards/mailboxes.

They always end up with more doors as a result.
    Not really graphite. I haven't found a good use for them without the mailbox/cupboard.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    One of the staff told me that it happens a lot - there's one size of box they get for the PaB wall. The amount of doors that fit in the box is vastly superior to the number of cupboards/mailboxes.

Well... if they thought it through they'd order X boxes of cupboards/mailboxes to 1 box of the doors....

I don't think it was a total waste of money though I got allot of random pieces cheaper than the PaB bucket. I don't mind sorting them out and what not but I will be looking next time to be sure I'm not getting more of the same again.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 781
    @littletoki
    you and this thread have caused me to buy roughly 7 or 8 of these grab bags over the past 3 weeks at 2 different stores! This thread is one to watch for me. I have received very few minifig parts like some have said. One of the stores had a LOT of pink, purple and medium azure elements from I'm guessing a Friends building event or the Friends display in the front of the store (not sure but what matters is I've got a lot of these colors now as a result of the grab bags)!

THANKS!
    SO regarding the grab bags I got a few weeks ago. After sorting all of it I got to looking up the parts. Come to find out I have a majority of the parts for the Fire brigade module set. Nice surprise. to bad its none of the expensive parts.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    @bmwlego Which store was that? I got a lot of the same colours a few weeks ago I think in London Westfield Stratford. I asked them where they came from and the manager said they just turned up with no explanation! Definitely weren't for the Friends build and were too few for PAB wall.
    FB parts in grab bags might be because someone returns one that was missing the bag and that might just be what the stores do with them.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 781
    @caperberry
    The store I was at was the Elmhurst, NY store. That store rocks and treats loyal customers like myself like royalty. I am always greeted with a smile and they know my name there as well. Love shopping at that store!
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    There were a few bags at the Tysons Corner VA store about an hour ago. Mix of brightly colored assorted bricks with a lot of these yellow table/clover like bricks (don't quite know what to call them). Also a few car baseplates, I think. Anyway, FYI in case anyone is looking.
  • mikersoftmikersoft Member Posts: 57
    ^ thanks for the info.. I dunno if I'll make the drive over there today..

How'd the PAB wall look? Last time I was there (~month ago) the selection was rather boring (nearly identical to Potomac mills).

Sorry for the OT question, BTW

-Mike
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,711

Well... if they thought it through they'd order X boxes of cupboards/mailboxes to 1 box of the doors....

Well they try, but ultimately it is whatever LEGO sends them PLUS you have those kids and adults that will pickup a ton of boxes, but no doors, or they do not see the doors, or they guess a lower number of doors to cupboards, etc....
    When the LEGO store by me had the 1 x 2 x 2 little arch windows with the golden lattices I knew how many Window frames I bought but guessed on the lattices, in the end I only had two lattices left over.. But not everyone is that close with their counts Im guessing.

• CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Do stores ever place limitations on how many bags one person can buy?
    ^ thanks for the info.. I dunno if I'll make the drive over there today..

How'd the PAB wall look? Last time I was there (~month ago) the selection was rather boring (nearly identical to Potomac mills).

Sorry for the OT question, BTW

-Mike
    Hey Mike,

I didn't really look, but it seemed pretty standard. Wife is headed to Potomac Mills today and it will take every fiber of my being to resist joining her. Mainly because I can't justify the 15 minutes in the Lego store against the remaining three hours of waiting around....
  • maesterjaymaesterjay Member Posts: 71
    Just went to Chandler, Az store on my vaca and got two grab bags. Had in them parts from the DC Universe sets like Mr. Freeze's holding cell. And a wing from joker's helicopter. Still had more bags left over some with good stuff but two that seemed pure PAB wall leftovers
  • maesterjaymaesterjay Member Posts: 71
    edited April 2012
    Sorry forgot to attach the pic of some of the nicer parts including a duckling from easter, love it when things are still put together

Edit: its poison ivy's holding set
  • mikersoftmikersoft Member Posts: 57
    @hoyatables

Thanks.. I never made to either NoVA store yesterday :-(
    Also a few at the Arundel Mills store. Looked a little more interesting, lots of grey, including some ladders and the "step" pieces. I would say about eight total bags. Hard for me to hazard a guess as to their origin.
  • JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 228
    Picked up 5 grab bags today from Westfield SB, containing lots of friends and star wars pieces.
    Any idea what sets they are from?
    Would also like to get the droid heads too!
    Jessy :)
    edited April 2012
    The car appears to be from 3183: Stephanie’s Cool Convertible and the droids and the other SW pieces look like they're from the 9493 xwing.
    Thanks @graphite!
    I'll have a look on bricklink for the droid heads, I have a few more of the body parts too, so could do with some 'legs'.
    good haul for grab bags I think! :)
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Yeah, great haul! Nice one.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    star wars r2-d2 and r5-d4 maybe from the y-wing
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    sorry I meant x-wing. I think you get both with that set
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    @JessyDooDah You got a much better lot than what I did. I got my bags from the same store a day earlier. :( Oh well Im still happy with mine and got some lovely colours :)
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    Finally!!!

After six months of nothing I was pleasantly surprised to find a tub of grab bags at my local store today. Not as minifig full as the last ones, but got one or two figs per bag and around ~300 pieces with a lot from the Town Hall, so no complaints from me.
  • legomyLEGGOlegomyLEGGO Member Posts: 63
    @JessyDooDah, you got the R2 body I was looking for. Lol. I picked up a grab bag yesterday with a R2 head but I didn't notice the body.
    ^ Did you get any spare heads? We could trade!
    :)
    ^Haha. So if I have a spare head, we could trade to complete one R2? Once I completely sort through it out, hopefully I'll find one.
    Yes! Let's do it! Let me know what you find! :)
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Grab bags at Westfield Stratford today, but looked like it was only Pick-a-brick wall spills.
  • JP82JP82 Member Posts: 45
    Lots at Westfield SB again, looks like mainly PAB overflow, but lots of cool trans pieces were in the bags!

BTW the droid bodies are from the Star Wars instore building event last month, and they didn't have any heads to go with them... So don't expect to find any in the Grab Bags
    Anyone else feel like having to clean up the grab bag bricks, knowing they've been on the floor and such?

@JP82, Jessy and I mentioned that above. She got 2 R2 bodies, and I found 1 head. I still haven't sorted out that bag; been meaning to.
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 597
    Can someone explain to me what exactly is a "LEGO grab bag"?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ basically, they have a quart-sized zipper bag, and they fill it about 2/3 to 3/4 full of a variety of pieces.

Results vary greatly by store, and even time to time within the store, but they are made up of some combination of pick a brick, non-salable returns, non-salable damaged items, display models, in-store play pieces, and (in some stores, but sounds rare), some bits from the BAM bar.
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 597
    So these are sitting out for purchase or you have to ask for them? I haven't ever seen them.

Also that Lynwood store has lots of "empty" bins (black/white circle icon not updated in 42 years :) Does that mean the inventory is being updated or something?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,711
    So these are sitting out for purchase or you have to ask for them? I haven't ever seen them.

Also that Lynwood store has lots of "empty" bins (black/white circle icon not updated in 42 years :) Does that mean the inventory is being updated or something?
    Grab bags are put out once every so often when LEGO stores dismantle many of their display sets in order to get rid of parts.. Usually Figures are not supposed to be part of the grab bags, but apparently not all LEGO stores adhere to this policy, as noted in a few threads on this site..
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    ^ I called my local store to ask about grab bags, since I had neve seen any, and the staff informed me that they usually put them out on Thursdays, so Friday is a decent time to get one. They are usually gone by Saturdays.

Call your local store to see what they say. The manager and staff at my store (HI) are very nice and helpful.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ if they put them out on Thursday, you want to me there on Thursday. by Friday, you are dealing with the leftovers.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I finally found grab bags at the Indianapolis store. I picked up four. One had all four balloon tires from a Ninjago Skull Truck set.
  • Son1shineSon1shine Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2012
    I went to the LEGO store in Tysons Corner VA today and got two grab bags. Anybody need a whole bunch of red flowers?? Just the tops??? =)

Here are some photos:

When I went in I was looking for something else, but having just read this discussion I decided to ask if they had any grab bags. The lady said they didn't but that she would check and see if they had any parts to make 1 up for me. She called to the back and her co-worker came out with a bin of Lego. She made up a bag for me, and said the purple was brand new.

** So, if you ask if they have them, and they don't, you might just ask (really nicely!) when they think they will have enough bricks to make some up. They just might go into the back and discover they do have enough bricks now. Doesn't hurt to ask! =)

Then I saw the horses on the PAB wall and filled up a little bucket/cup of them. I went up to her and asked her if that was a good deal? It seemed like it was to me, but I wasn't sure. She said yes, they usually go for about $2, and they were new to be on the PAB wall. She said it isn't the best to put them in the cup though (because they are bulky and there is lot's of space in between) and she said, let me make up another grab bag for you and put them in there for you. So she did and it was the same price as my little cup was going to be.

She was super nice, and I was talking to her for a while before this, so I don't know if it was something special she did for me, or if she would do it for anyone.

Heather
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    ^ Wow! Lucky you. I need a cup full of flowers and stems. But at $20.99 each in Canada, I just can't justify paying that price so I'm hoping they're going to fun the "get a large cup for small" promo again.
  • Son1shineSon1shine Member Posts: 29
    @LegobrandonCP, I would be happy to send you the flowers for just the shipping, but I don't know if having the flowers without the stems would help at all? If it would, let me know and I could send them out.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    ^ PM'ed you.
    Welcome Son1shine - NOVA person as well here. You should make sure you try Potomac Mills and Arundel Mills as well -- I've generally had good luck finding grab bags there.