Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Grab Bags

Comments

• leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    @princedraven

I bought three and there were another three left. They all looked to have similar contents, pretty full, but no mini figs at all.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    Ok, as grab bags have often LOTS Of repeating parts (in my area they top them off from time to with wall content) how do you guys store sorted parts? I got gazilion clear slanted headlight pieces, grip of red 2 x 2 tiles etc.... I temporarily (ok, starting about 3 months ago) took over the kitchen table and my wife is starting to talk about having to clean it up :) So far I invested quite a bit in clear plastic containers, containers with dividers and so on....
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    Welcome to the world of grab bag addiction. :D

We have a wall of clear plastic containers for all of our loose Lego from grab bags and Craigslist. At a certain point, we realized that we've spent over $1000 just to store the Lego.

:\
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Sterilite containers from Walmart & Target. They go on sale a lot. These are my favorite and they come in many different sizes. Very easy to work with drawers rather than containers with lids and they stack well. Also tool chests with plastic bins. Grab bags themselves work well until they find another home as well.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    edited March 2012
    A question on grab bags -

Not living near a Lego store (closest is 75 mi away), I haven't come across them yet. However, I called that store today and they said they had some, so they're putting them [4] aside for me (yay!) for 10am tomorrow. So, what I'd like to know is ... what's the typical weight and/or # of bricks? I really don't mind for the bargain price it is, just wanted to know what I can expect when I'm first through that door at 10am tomorrow!

Thanks!
    It really depends on your store and what happened that week. Usually it's a healthy mix of PAB wall and returned sets or store models.

Some stores pack the bags so full they need to tape them down, others fill their bags only 70% full. It's really hard to predict.

Last week, I got most of a SSD and Town Hall in the grab bags I picked up. This week, 1x3 and 1x4 lime, white and red bricks from their PAB wall.

The fun is in the not knowing! Good luck. :D
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^All you can do is pray you have good luck. I was recently at the NYC store at Rockefeller Center and they had 3 grab bags left. All were filled with giant wheels, not even sure what kind of set would need wheels that big. Other than that, not much else in there in terms of pieces. Other times at the San Diego store, I've seen them filled with small bits and pieces of all types. It's like spinning a wheel of fortune and hoping you don't whammy.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ how many bags was that to get most of an SSD and Town hall? lol

How much are bags BTW? Making a trip to a store this weekend and might pick some up.
    ^ how many bags was that to get most of an SSD and Town hall? lol

How much are bags BTW? Making a trip to a store this weekend and might pick some up.
    I think it was between 36-40 grab bags (there were also Ninjago, SW and Friends sets as well) - I also got double VIP points for them. :D

Bags are $7.99 each.

^ where do you keep it all. The pics of your house were so clean and organized I can't picture where you'd have it all.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ where do you keep it all. The pics of your house were so clean and organized I can't picture where you'd have it all.
    That is what I was wondering as well. Littletoki's house is so clean, kind of like what you see in Home Magazines.
    @andyscouse Wow. I hope your not making a 150 mi round trip just for grab bags??? They are fun, however when they have good sets mixed in, but you never know.

@Brickdancer The biggest wheels are from the Unimog. Few weeks ago they had the Unimog dismantled in the bags. One bag had all four wheels. A lot of the big tires I've found are from the Ninjago line.

@littletoki I want to come to your store!

Wonder if all the Star Wars pieces left over from this months building events will make it into the grabs . . . Seems I'll be missing out on grab bags for awhile as there's really no other incentive to visit a store until maybe May. Maybe Apr 16-19 for the PAB wall deal.
    @gmpirate - my hours are Sat - Sun from 11 am - 6 pm. LOL
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    No grab bags at Bellevue, WA; BUT there was a larger "fence" piece than the one they usually have. White still but it was larger and taller.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    I got 4 grab bags from one store, plus filled 4 PaB tubs from that plus another close store ... I know what I'll be doing Sunday afternoon ... :)
  • wRuBwRuB Member Posts: 86
    Went to Westfield White City (UK) on Thursday and they had 3 grab bags left.
    Ontario Mills store has some nice bags..... minus the 5 I took. Oh yeah and they also have the tank at 20% off...
    ^ I assume damaged. Not bad as usually it's 10%. Mission video had some decent bags yesterday . . . Minus what I took ;)
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @BrickDancer I saw those same ones when the I Lug NY group went there on the 18th!
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    Bought 7 Bags from arrowhead last weekend. Mostly Friends stuff and a allot of random Junk really. Lots of the small translucent parts especially the orange and light blue.
    Started sorting my 11 bags by color last night and all I can say is holy lime 2x2 round brick, white 1x4 arch and dark gray box thing. I think I got like 300 of the lime 2x2's and probably 100 of those boxes. Gonna need to figure out something to do with them. Maybe a couple interesting walls or something.
    @graphite - your dark gray boxes need these:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4346

which I have about 1000 of.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^A locker room might work for all those boxes, if they are Bley in color.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Started sorting my 11 bags by color last night and all I can say is holy lime 2x2 round brick, white 1x4 arch and dark gray box thing. I think I got like 300 of the lime 2x2's and probably 100 of those boxes. Gonna need to figure out something to do with them. Maybe a couple interesting walls or something.
    man, loving the sound of those arches....

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    @graphite - your dark gray boxes need these:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4346

which I have about 1000 of.

I think he's talking about these boxes:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=61780

the dark grey ones were a staple of the PAB wall for 2011
    ^ yeah those. The ones you put like a 2x2 tile on as a top.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167
    To those that find grab bags with any kind of figures, Be thankful. Usually when I see the grab bags there are NO figures in them.
    ^ I got 2 heads and 1 torso out of the 11 bags I got last weekend. Was hoping to find some legs to go along with it but that didn't work out for me.
    @graphite : per my conversations with multiple Lego stores, they are not supposed to put any minifigures into the grab bags THOUGH we all know that the rules does not usually get followed ;) Also one of the stores I visited once was liquidating their minifigure display for whatever reason.... I had figures coming out of my ears :)
  • kkskks Member Posts: 60
    ^ yep, same here, got enough in two bags a couple months ago to make about 70 minifigures complete and a bunch of extra pieces. Since there, have not seen any parts.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    My wife went in to Cardiff last week and came out with 4 grab bags. Mostly space shuttle bits and minifig. Plus some harry potter stuff, no figs though.
    Will post pics later after i've gone through it.

She's popping in a bit later to garb some more.
  • MultiversalMultiversal Member Posts: 29
    I haven't bought any grab bags before, since I thought it was basically a way to get pieces from the PaB wall cheaper in return for not picking them out yourself. However, reading this discussion, it sounds like there might be interesting parts in there as well, so I'll probably give them a try the next time I'm in a Lego store. =)

Picked up another set of Unimog tires and the motor to boot from a couple grab bags. Think someone here mentioned the tires fetch a fair price. Are the motors worth anything?
    Did someone have grab bags recently? I keep checking the local places regularly... but either you get there right before me and clean 'em out or they just haven't had any in a while ... ;)
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I got one in Stratford last week but it wasn't amazing or anything. Just had loads of bley mostly from PAB wall but they'd stuffed the bag really full so it was a great deal.

They never seem to have many, if any, in London stores.
  • legomyLEGGOlegomyLEGGO Member Posts: 63
    There was a few at one store I went to the last week. But not of them appealed to me, after a little examination of the bags. A couple of them had one (!) lego head, no body, or legs. Other than that, not much that I was really looking for.
    Ontario Mills just got a bunch but unfortunately nothing really good. Mostly wall stuff with the exception of a city plane, jokers head and some MBA pieces ....
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    The manager at the Sawgrass, FL said he didn't mind the current promotion so much because it's mostly just generic parts on the wall. When I went to fill my Xmas box, I also got a cup with 1x6, 1x4 and 1x2 yellow pieces (if I ever get around to MOCing an addition to the yellow castle) and some other random stuff. Approximate value was about $15 plus some of those random parts that I couldn't identify.

This time, I just fill them with smaller pieces (slopes, plates, tiles and 1x2 of various colors. If nothing else, they'll go to my son when he is old enough).
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Still no grab bags at Bellevue WA store :( I dont think I will ever catch them lol
  • maesterjaymaesterjay Member Posts: 71
    edited April 2012
    Found Grab bags in both Chandler and Arrowhead Arizona stores, the Arrowhead grab bags where much more interesting. Picked up one and it had the head from the Green Lantern Figure, a black staircase, and ninjago spinner (just found out its 2175 Wyplash's spinner only). Chandler set was a lot of yellow 2x2, and light green and red translucent studs, and a piece from the din theme (the front of the little vehicles with stripe print on it... will post more letter with some pictures. But if your in AZ I would check out the Arrowhead (seemed to be more set deconstruction vs chandlers PAB leftovers) grab bags still 7-8 left as of 6pm...
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    ^ How could it have Green Lantern's head when that character isn't out yet? Only given out at Comic Con?
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    @starfire2, I believe it was the Hero Factory-esque Green Lantern (4528-1), as I was at the Arrowhead store a few hours before @maesterjay was there today. There were pieces from all the DC HF figs strewn about the bags. I contemplated buying that bag with the Ninjago spinner but ended up picking up a bag because it had the mast element from the Destiny's Bounty Ninjago ship. Lately they've had a lot of grab bags. I've picked up 3 or 4 bags in the last few weeks. Seems like they have a lot of leftover pieces from their free builds, like the Friends Ice Cream Stand.

@maesterjay, glad to hear you were able to hit up both AZ stores.
    Mission V is close to making some fresh bags.... They will include Joker, friends and some technics sets... or so they say ;) They have the displays in the back and just haven't had a chance to take them appart.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    @aimlesspursuits: ok, that makes sense now. I was thinking it was the mini figure. I was there (Arrowhead) the other night, but no grab bags. Glad to hear you guys are finding such goods pieces.
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    so so upset i can't get these :/
  • maesterjaymaesterjay Member Posts: 71
    @aimlesspursuits yeah I was surprised my girlfriend was willing to hit both up one day after the other but I did treat her to a nice trip to Sedona, Az for the day... so this was a way of thanks lol, will miss them when back in NY (that is until Victor, NY is opened on the 27th, 1hr and half away but should be well worth it, from time to time).
  • cynthilinacynthilina Member Posts: 188
    Bah you guys got lucky, I got 7 bags about a month ago now and all i got was PaB and some pink parts. Nothing really Identifiable as sets, no minifigs. I'm still sorting through that stuff. Each of the bags was for the most part identical to the other. I got 65 of those stupid little white doors that go on the the container pieces.
    LOL @cynthilina - I have 2 grab bags full of those little white doors.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=883&colorID=1

Thinking about just giving them away if people want to pay for shipping.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ Are you part of the Jamboree? Someone may want some along the chain!