Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bonsai tree

flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl BordersMember Posts: 190
Is anyone else finding their bonsai tree unstable?  I am finding that the tree base falls over easily when attaching leaves. Maybe I am too heavy handed.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,943
    Yes -- it can be a bit fragile.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl BordersMember Posts: 190
    Lovely model though. Glad it isnt just me, I actually dismantled and rebuilt it in case I had made a mistake, only to have the same result. 
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 629
    Absolutely. It's broken on me several times, sending the 200 1x1 round tiles flying everywhere. I'm very disappointed in it to be honest, it isn't half as good as the packaging makes it seem. Very frustrating.
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 289
    I found building the base pieces (both of them) interesting and the basic tree. Putting the branches together and on the tree was fiddly and boring and annoying and ... and ... not fun! I had hubby choose and he went for the pink version ... it may always remain that unless I find a MOC for steadier branches.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl BordersMember Posts: 190
    edited February 3
    I am going to stick mine in the display cabinet, before it falls apart. And hopefully not have to touch it again.
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 142
    Huh. I didn't have any trouble with the branches being delicate (and I do frequently get annoyed at MOCs that are unstable). 
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 142
    I did the green one, by the way. Maybe the pink is less stable?
    KungFuKenny
  • MeganLMeganL Chicagoland Outpost, Brickset TowersMember Posts: 126
    Ironically, I found the branches with green leaves to be more fragile than the pink....
    All I know is that as much as I enjoyed the base building and would happily do it again I won't touch my bonsai tree because the branches are sooo fiddly ... I am even considering buying a display case so it won't have to be dusted!
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,495
    I've just completed #10281 Bonsai Tree and, although I did find the branches fairly fiddly (I have only built the pink, flower version so far), I cannot un-see those frogs!!
    I might have to put this in the "Unpopular Lego Opinions" thread, as I am going to have to replace them with something less "froggy".
    I'm doing a little digging, but the obvious ones below don't come in "Light Purple":

33291 Plate, Round 1 x 1 with Flower Edge (4 Knobs / Petals)
    32607 Plant Plate, Round 1 x 1 with 3 Leaves

24866 Plate, Round 1 x 1 with Flower Edge (5 Petals), however, does come in "Light Purple", but may be a bit small to replace the coverage that the frogs provide.

Has anyone else swapped out the frogs for a more arboreal / floral replacement? If so, what did you use and are you happy with the end result?

Otherwise, the set looks incredible. I'm going to build the green version later tonight, so will keep an eye out for any instability.
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 441
    @JudgeChuck I kind of like the look of the frogs because I see them as buds but perhaps 15470 or 6254 would look more flower-like.
    JudgeChuck
    Cymbeline said:
    @JudgeChuck I kind of like the look of the frogs because I see them as buds but perhaps 15470 or 6254 would look more flower-like.
    Hmm, possibly, but they're probably just a bit too "inorganic" in shape. You're right though that the frogs do resemble buds and I'd like to go for that effect. Unfortunately, I just see pink frogs! ;-)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    So, when building all I could see was frogs, because it is right there in my face. The set sits in my hallway, with the bouquet  on the other side. I walk by it every day multiple times and never see the pink frogs, and only see a bonsai tree full of flowers. Just a little distance really helps one unsee the frogs.
    Bumblepants
    Mine is sat on our living room "coffee table", which is right in front of me, when I'm sitting, so it is still a bit noticeable! ;-)
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 454
    I was considering getting this set until people started saying they had stability problems with it.  I wanted some pink frogs so I just ordered some from B&P but I don't think I'd actually like them on a tree.  Maybe if it shows up somewhere at a discount at some point I'll reconsider but there are plenty of other sets I want over this one.
    Mine is sitting on the TV credenza which is right in front of me but far enough away I don't notice the pink frogs just a bunch of blossoms that were a fiddly pain to build. Actually finally got a display case for it so I don;t have to worry about dusting it. The fun part of the build IMO was the stand pieces.
    @GrannyLEGO I do agree, the best part of the build for me was the trunk, the stand and the container.
    However, I've been celebrating our 16th Anniversary with the other half and, perhaps it's the gin, but I've been looking at the Bonsai Tree on the table in front of me and the frog are slowly disappearing into the overall object. I'll sober up tomorrow morning and be back to "bloody frogs". Possibly. ;-)
    560HeliportBumblepantspxchrisKungFuKennybandit778Brickfan50
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 636
    If that's your kinda goal, wait till you find out what LSD can do
    KungFuKenny