Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO launches the BrickLink Designer Program and reveals 31 projects!

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 4,379
edited March 17 in Brickset.com articles
LEGO launches the BrickLink Designer Program and reveals 31 projects!

Following the revelation that certain rejected Ideas projects would become available through the BrickLink Designer Program, LEGO has today shared further information:

Kicking off the BrickLink Designer Program: 2021 Invitational

Today we're excited to share the next steps in the collaboration between LEGO Ideas and BrickLink via the BrickLink Designer Program: 2021 Invitational.

As communicated in December 2020, we planned to invite a selection of LEGO Ideas members and their 10K Club submissions to participate in the pilot program, the purpose being to realise more of the amazing fan designs that are submitted to LEGO Ideas.

The result has been that 27 members have agreed to participate with 31 10K Club projects. We're thrilled at the response we got from the invited members, with almost 100% of the invited members deciding to accept our invitation.

Continue reading »

© 2021 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 1,984
    Depending on which sets get approved, this could get expensive really quickly! 🙂
    pxchrisBumblepantsMr_CrosseMJeeNLBrickchap
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,228
    Yikes, this could get dangerous for my wallet...
    Brickchap
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 142
    Am I right that the selected sets will not come with instruction? This would just about kill the whole thing for me. I would love to own a complete fishing village and could justify almost any pricing but... no instructions, geez I don’t know about that.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,358
    The last round all sets came with nicely printed instructions developed out of Stud.io. Not quite the same as official LEGO instructions, but still very clear and easy to follow, definitely on par with the better custom MOC instructions out there.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 1,984
    edited March 18
    Am I right that the selected sets will not come with instruction? This would just about kill the whole thing for me. I would love to own a complete fishing village and could justify almost any pricing but... no instructions, geez I don’t know about that.
    The FAQ states that the approved sets (first 13 of the 31 to get crowd-funded) will be produced, and that there will be digital versions of the instructions provided, rather than printed...

https://www.bricklink.com/r3/designer-program/support/main.page

There will be “up to” 5,000 copies made of each approved set.

I’m keeping my eye on the Castle set and the Chalet.  If Lego/BL actually make a Forestman set with figs etc, it will be a must buy for me!  I suspect the project may be altered though...
    pxchrisEGRobertsBrickchapoldtodd33
    Thanks for the clarification on the instructions @KungFuKenny, I missed that detail. I based my comment just on what was the case in the last go-round where I ended up getting two of the options.

As for cool minifigures... I won't be holding my breath on that. Last time the designers had to keep within a certain selection of pieces including minifig parts and the options were very generic which is why a number of the sets didn't even include any.

It will certainly be very interesting this time to see what the part selection limitations end up being. We won't really know how that affects the final design until June though.

At this stage I'm expecting that I'll only end up backing one design, if any.
    KungFuKennyBrickchap
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 890
    'Almost 100%' - excellent turn of phrase!

Some lovely builds in here though.  I look forward to seeing how this all works out.
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 764
    5,000 copies is going to be nowhere near enough to satisfy demand for these. Set your alarms NOW people! 
    EGRoberts560HeliportBumblepantswindjammerBrickchap
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,228
    I have my eye on 6 or 7 sets. They're some of the smaller ones, aside from the Chalet. I could see that making them both less like or more likely to be funded first. I guess time will tell. 
  • EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 140
    "The Castle in the  Forest" ..... I want it so soo sooo much.. It is the perfect Fry meme for "shut up and take my money!". If I can I will pre-order 2 or 3 of it! Yes it is that awesome.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,300
    Really really want the observatory!
    Brickchap
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,634
    Lover the ruined house. Just needs zombies!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,003
    This is simply awesome.  Can’t wait.
    I assume there is an entire thread about the last time Lego did this?  I would really like to read up on how it went last time but have no idea on which set it was or what year. Could someone post a link or some info. for me to get up to speed. Did the last set come with printed instructions? That is driving me nuts!
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,300
    I assume there is an entire thread about the last time Lego did this?  I would really like to read up on how it went last time but have no idea on which set it was or what year. Could someone post a link or some info. for me to get up to speed. Did the last set come with printed instructions? That is driving me nuts!
    You mean this one I found by searching “designer program”?
    Marshallmario
    edited March 21
    Bricklink did the AFOL Designer Program back in 2018-2019, before they were bought by Lego.  It was not connected to rejected Ideas projects, but was endorsed by Lego and did have a crowd-funding/vote aspect.  I was able to get the Western Saloon by Jonas Kramm, and it came in nice packaging with printed instructions (a link to his article on The New Elementary about his design process is below). 

(photos from The Brothers Brick review- link below)

The sets were limited to parts currently in production (no new minifig parts or prints).   They did come with an special “60 Years” printed brick...

Even the inside of the box surround was printed to create a backdrop for the set!

This new program will have digital instructions, rather than printed...

And here is a link to all the BL AFOL Designer Program sets...
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=S&catString=1056
    YellowcastleMarshallmarioAstrobrickstomahawkerpxchrisbricktuarySwitchfoot55
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,003
    ^ Thank you!
    KungFuKennyMarshallmario
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,957
    How much was that @KungFuKenny 1500 pieces I want to say £150 at the default 10p/part pricing. I'm tempted with a couple of the sets, the steampunk  Exploratorium looks brilliant 
    KungFuKenny
    I may pursue a few of them, depending on cost and whether or not they can ship them in ferret food boxes to avoid intra-house detection. :o)
    KungFuKennyAstrobricks
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 360
    edited March 21
    One annoying thing about when it was first done, was all the sets were shipped from America so customs charges were not fun at all. 
    andheKungFuKenny
    Is that because of who the designers were or something more logistical?
    You mean this one I found by searching “designer program”?
    Rats!  I searched crowd funding and didn’t come up with anything relevant. Thanks for the help!
    Astrobricks
    edited March 21
    How much was that @KungFuKenny 1500 pieces I want to say £150 at the default 10p/part pricing. I'm tempted with a couple of the sets, the steampunk  Exploratorium looks brilliant 
    It was $149 (US) at the time... about $270 sealed now on BL...
    I believe the sets were packed and shipped from Bricklink headquarters in California... the new program says that the sets will likely ship from Europe this time, although there is a possibility that they will add a NA site as well...
    YellowcastleAstrobricksandheSpeedman29
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Parts were hand picked by bricklink staff, which meant even less customer service than usual for months.
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 541
    Depending on the 13 chosen, this might be tempting for me.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,635
    There are a number of designs that I'd love to get my hands on, but the small number of each set being made mean that the chances of getting any of the successful 13 sets will be remote. I fear that (1) the website will crash as soon as preorders start, and (2) most of the successfully pre-ordered sets will end up on eBay selling for many multiples of their initial purchase price. I really hope I'm wrong, but can't see how this can go any other way.

It's a massive shame as I'm genuinely excited by this initiative.
    KungFuKennyYellowcastleMarshallmarioBumblepantsbandit778Brickchap
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 570
    There are a number of designs that I'd love to get my hands on, but the small number of each set being made mean that the chances of getting any of the successful 13 sets will be remote. I fear that (1) the website will crash as soon as preorders start, and (2) most of the successfully pre-ordered sets will end up on eBay selling for many multiples of their initial purchase price. I really hope I'm wrong, but can't see how this can go any other way.

It's a massive shame as I'm genuinely excited by this initiative.
    Hopefully there will be an opportunity to purchase all of these sets as digital instructions not just the ones that fail to be one of the 13 successful ones so at least we can build them using our own parts
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the original announcement that would be the case.
    I too am worried that scalping/hoarding may impact the success of this venture...
    Brickchap
    edited April 28
    I thought I'd check how things were going; looks like designers are still tweaking things, there have been quite a few updates and some really nice new pics.

https://www.bricklink.com/r3/designer-program/introducing.page

I did notice though that you can preorder up to 5 set per project. These things will fly, I'm sure, unless the prices are utterly insane. 

Edit: obviously the kakapo won't fly. 
    andheBumblepantsKungFuKennyBrickchap
    Sounds enticing to speculators...
    https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/introducing.page

8 sets are now confirmed!

Two more sets have withdrawn!

The rest are still being worked on!

Switchfoot55KungFuKennyandheBrickchapMarshallmariogmonkey76
    Well, as of right now the model I think I'm most likely to pre-order isn't on the confirmed list.
    If the Castle in the Forest set actually comes with Forestman minifigs I suspect it will go quickly...
    BrickchapBumblepantscanon03gmonkey76
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    If the Castle in the Forest set actually comes with Forestman minifigs I suspect it will go quickly...
    It won't. Or at least I'm assuming there won't be any new parts produced for these.

• BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 406
    Could someone please explain how this works with the crowdfunding thing?

Specially, do I personally need to give money in order to get a set in the event it makes enough money? And if so, what happens if the project I give money to does not make the threshold? Do I get a refund?

Or can I wait to see which projects go into production and then buy them like a normal set?
    edited May 14
    So they've changed it a bit, there are now rounds (more excitement!)
    In each round, 8 models will go forward. Then the funding opens, and the first 5 to hit their target get made. The rest, I dunno, probably get on the blower to Lepin or something.

Everyone expects the window to pre-order to be very tight, so if you like a set or sets, don't hang around. 1 July, click click clickety click. 

PS the next update of the castle will show the minifigures. The designer is quite chatty on the forum, seems like he's using torsos from the recent Blacksmith set for at least one of the minifigs. 
    BumblepantsandheOnebricktoomanyKungFuKenny
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,931
    I am glad that the Castle in the Forest has made it to the crowdfunding round. I will certainly try and support that once it moves to crowdfund. however, I feel like it is going to get snapped up by the scalpers. 

@Brickchap my understanding that this is like Kickstarter, you pledge to pay what is being asked. Then if it achieves its goal you get the set and payment is taken. If it fails you don't get billed.
    drdavewatfordBrickchapOnebricktoomany
    andhe said:
    It won't. Or at least I'm assuming there won't be any new parts produced for these.

Yeah, probably just wishful thinking... they did make the classic Forestman hat as late as 2011 (for the magnet), so maybe those molds are still out there somewhere...🙂
    BrickchapOnebricktoomany
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 406
    @Redbullgivesuwind Thanks for explaining this. Where does it say how much they want? And can you later decide not to get a set (having not paid any money)?
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 526
    I really hope the winter chalet makes it!
    BrickchapOnebricktoomany
    andhe said:

Yeah, probably just wishful thinking... they did make the classic Forestman hat as late as 2011 (for the magnet), so maybe those molds are still out there somewhere...🙂
    It was in #60271 (a City set) just last year, so yeah it's still in use. And always nice when designers/the Lego company throw classic theme fans a morsel.
    KungFuKennyBrickchap
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,931
    Brickchap said:
    @Redbullgivesuwind Thanks for explaining this. Where does it say how much they want? And can you later decide not to get a set (having not paid any money)?
    I do not think that information is anywhere at the moment. I am guessing that will become available once they have confirmed that the set is okay to use and is confirmed for the preorder. I, honestly, am not sure about being able to decide not to buy. 
    Brickchap
    If that BF flag and stag shield is a print... then wow! But guessing it might be stickers? Again judging by the lack of new parts or prints on the rest.

KungFuKennyBrickchap
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,857
    I’m so on board for a new Forestmen shield
    KungFuKennyBrickchap
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,412
    andhe said:
    If that BF flag and stag shield is a print... then wow! But guessing it might be stickers? Again judging by the lack of new parts or prints on the rest.

The Forestmen shield is almost certainly a sticker. That print hasn't been in production since 25 years, and the set designer has talked about doing stickers for these in the comments.
    andhe
    Well consider myself jaw dropped @KungFuKenny!
    KungFuKennyMarshallmario
    Yeah I only just realised this from his latest update video. And seems obvious now looking back at it.

He seems to have switched the hinges from his original design (where they hinged forwards to have an open back) to more reflect the way the original sets open (hinged backwards to open like a book).
    BrickchapKungFuKenny