Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collecting certain parts only

Comments

• eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 631
    Didn't know the background of those fig's, just thought might be of interest in this thread. Thanks guys! (and certainly will not "invest" in these, even if I WERE actually interested myself ;))
    Switchfoot55KungFuKennyandhe
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,985
    edited February 4
    If the figure isn’t a regular plastic figure made available for the public to buy then I’m not interested. Very few exceptions to that rule for me.
    KungFuKennyandhe
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,101
    edited February 4
    🤷🏻‍♂️ I have a small collection of elements which were officially produced by Lego but never made available for the public to buy. For example:

Maersk Blue 1x8 brick
    Trans-clear 1x8 brick
    Trans-clear 2x3 plate
    Trans-clear 2x4 plate
    Trans-clear 1x2 'jumper' plate
    Bobflipandhe
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 626
    It's a whole new can of worms regarding the definition of official! Who knows what else they might start producing on the side too. If that machines are having enough spare time for this there may one day be a path to purchasing bulk bricks made to order
    andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,487
    eMJeeNL said:
    Didn't know the background of those fig's, just thought might be of interest in this thread. Thanks guys! (and certainly will not "invest" in these, even if I WERE actually interested myself ;))
    🤷🏻‍♂️ I have a small collection of elements which were officially produced by Lego but never made available for the public to buy...
    I have a couple of non-production pieces (red wizard hat, white pony, black pony, black old polar bear - the latter 3 were bought on ebay a good number of years ago) and I somehow feel differently about those...

I guess because they were made as part of the official process (testing of moulds/prototyping of parts I assume) rather than created solely to cash in on the desire for 'rare' parts. Perhaps that makes me a hypocrite, I wasn't intending my original comment to be an attack on collectors, I just see a lot of these new transparent parts being described as prototype or non-production which is a slight sullying of the terms. 
    Bobflip
  • RoebuckRoebuck Slitu, NorwayMember Posts: 80
    andhe said:
     white pony, black pony, black old polar bear -
    Would not mind to see a picture of those :O

From what I understand Lego might make parts in a lot of colours that never are intended to hit the marked, to test it, they need them to make a build for Legoland etc.
    However I do not think empoees at the factory work afther hours to make rare parts to sell them :S

When I was at the inside tour in 2019 I had a look at a brown crocodille, the horse in zebra print and the famous buffolo mould, not sure if they have made it outside the walls of fort Legorado :)

KungFuKennyandhegmonkey76
    andhe said:
    eMJeeNL said:
    🤷🏻‍♂️ I have a small collection of elements which were officially produced by Lego but never made available for the public to buy...
    I have a couple of non-production pieces (red wizard hat, white pony, black pony, black old polar bear - the latter 3 were bought on ebay a good number of years ago) and I somehow feel differently about those...

I guess because they were made as part of the official process (testing of moulds/prototyping of parts I assume) rather than created solely to cash in on the desire for 'rare' parts. Perhaps that makes me a hypocrite, I wasn't intending my original comment to be an attack on collectors, I just see a lot of these new transparent parts being described as prototype or non-production which is a slight sullying of the terms. 
    Yes I'd agree that prototype is probably the wrong word for them, but it's also probably the best word for most people to understand.
    andhe
    Roebuck said:
    andhe said:

From what I understand Lego might make parts in a lot of colours that never are intended to hit the marked, to test it, they need them to make a build for Legoland etc.
    However I do not think empoees at the factory work afther hours to make rare parts to sell them :S
    Yes I believe that was the story that the seller gave me at the time. Some art project they'd done for/with lego. Never got more info than that.

White polar bear and brown pony shown for comparison. 
    RoebucksuperfunkTkattpxchrisKungFuKennyAllBrick
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,509
     I wish that pony mold had gotten more use... but the black and white versions are cute! I bought one of the brown ones a while back to use as Bill the Pony in my Fellowship.
    andhe
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 472
    When LEGO Friends first came out there were some eBay sellers in China who were selling random mixed Friends minidoll parts. I won an auction that had an unpainted tan hedgehog that I've never seen anywhere else. As well as a couple of dual molded friends heads. I assume the parts were tests that were carried out of the factory by some enterprising employee. 
    I had only bid on the auction because I wanted the Friends hairpieces which were new at the time. The odd unreleased parts included were a nice surprise.

This was a very difficult picture to take, you can just make out the LEGO stamp.
    KungFuKennyandhe
  • RoebuckRoebuck Slitu, NorwayMember Posts: 80
    andhe said:
    Roebuck said:
    andhe said:

Yes I believe that was the story that the seller gave me at the time. Some art project they'd done for/with lego. Never got more info than that.

White polar bear and brown pony shown for comparison. 
    Sweet :D To bad they never came in sets, at least we got a black bear in the updated mould..

pxchris said:
     I wish that pony mold had gotten more use... but the black and white versions are cute! I bought one of the brown ones a while back to use as Bill the Pony in my Fellowship.
    Me too! It is a foal not a pony by the way ;)
    Paradisa moved in to friends and those sets have a lot of foals in different colours, I hope we get a updated mould for minifigs one day, would be a good accessory for a CMF :)
    @Roebuck yes I've always thought of it as a foal I was just going off Bricklinks terms https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=30032&in=S which admittedly are often a 'first come, first classified' type of thing. 
    Roebuck
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,813
    The hedgehog was probably one that was just not painted and escaped from the factory somehow. I've got a load of Theoden's Rohan helmet (brown) that were not printed.
    Tkatt
    These are closest to 2, but it may depend on how sanctioned they are/aren't!
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 714
    2. More commonly known as Q parts 
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,280
    For anyone who does not want to buy anything that has not been found in any sets, so be it... it allows more opportunity for those that do want to buy rare parts.  LEGO elements not found in production came into being in several ways... either 1) they were produced for the model shops, 2) for TLG in-house testing, 3) testing by outside chemical companies (Bayer, BASF, Grangemouth, Marbon), or 4) mold test strikes in several colors.  I highly doubt that (unlike the Grangemouth Borg-Warner marbled bricks) TLG employees are able to just crank out rare colored parts at will under the table.

So although some of these parts may have "disappeared" from company premises... I think that it is common for many of these parts to be given to employees to take home.

560HeliportSwitchfoot55Astrobricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,813
    There are transparent minifigures in just about every trans colour now, also including Darth Vader helmets available for lots of cash. I cannot see how those are all "just testing" type parts. Why test existing colours using an incredibly sought after licensed mould, or vice versa why test existing parts when they have been out for years now? Surely someone is making them for the collectors' market. Which sort of diminishes the value.
    Mr_Crossandhegmonkey76AllBrick
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 714
    edited March 2
    CCC said:
    There are transparent minifigures in just about every trans colour now, also including Darth Vader helmets available for lots of cash. I cannot see how those are all "just testing" type parts. Why test existing colours using an incredibly sought after licensed mould, or vice versa why test existing parts when they have been out for years now? Surely someone is making them for the collectors' market. Which sort of diminishes the value.
    I agree these are being produced in the factory for the sole purpose of money making on the side. I believe LEGO are aware although I’ve been informed that they have come from the factories in Mexico, China and also Hungary by different sources- I wonder how widespread 🤔 
    Mr_CrossAllBrickandhe
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,280
    edited March 2
    If these are indeed under the table production trans-clear minifig parts, I find it odd that TLG doesn't have more production controls.  But besides that, for every purist that find them "counterfeit", and not worthy of being collectible, there are at least 100 minifig fanatics that will pay an arm and a leg for these.

Just look at the 1978 Grangemouth Scotland "under the table" marbled 2x4 bricks that were produced by 2 Borg-Warner test employees.  They too were produced via shady means, but that hasn't stopped them from being wildly popular (and very expensive) on the secondary market.

I think that as long as the production of these questionable parts uses real TLG molds, and TLG plastic... the end result is that many minifig collectors are happy that these are available, "by any means necessary".
    gmonkey76andhecatwrangler
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    edited March 2
    When it was a few pieces here and there (trans red bicycle etc) it felt ok and special. 
    When it’s done purely for money making reasons it suddenly leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 
    It manifests when a hobby is followed and loved by adults, it happens in the Malaysian Hot Wheels factory and “factory custom” cars change hands for big money. The general consensus in the HW community is that “they are not official and therefore, fake”. 

The big question is, if you could make these things for your own collection and profit gains, would you? 
    And if money was no object, would you buy these things? 

For me, it’s tough as I love both hobbies. 
    I would be severely tempted to make myself these items as it would be a memento for me personally and something I would keep as a treasure forever. 
    But to make and sell them would seem like a huge risk and not worth losing my job over. 

Which makes me wonder, who exactly is making these things?
    I wouldn’t look at the assembly line for answers, I would be looking at the managers for answers as they have more access and more power to just “test” something, repeatedly, in different colours and then take them away to “show someone”. 
    KungFuKennygmonkey76andheMr_Cross
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 934
    Some of those microfigs (?) go for ungodly amounts nowadays, preying on completionists I suppose! I have a few of those Duplo pieces too, including several that only seem to have come in Dacta kits - I'll never complete the collection though as TLG release dozens every year, including several small runs for events and anniversaries.
    AllBrick
    edited March 3
    Aleydita said:
    Some of those microfigs (?) go for ungodly amounts nowadays, preying on completionists I suppose! I have a few of those Duplo pieces too, including several that only seem to have come in Dacta kits - I'll never complete the collection though as TLG release dozens every year, including several small runs for events and anniversaries.
    The board game market is quite a big one on its own which can’t help things. 
    People buy all sorts of games and part them out to sell on to collectors looking for completion. 

Now im googling Dacta kits. 
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,977
    I've ended up with so many of the boardgames from Carboot sales. One stall had half a dozen at 50p each.
    AllBrickGibbo1959Mr_Cross
    I've ended up with so many of the boardgames from Carboot sales. One stall had half a dozen at 50p each.
    Nice! Lots of bargain baseplates? 
    Speedman29
    Aleydita said:
    Some of those microfigs (?) go for ungodly amounts nowadays, preying on completionists I suppose!
    Ooh which ones? I've got a bunch of the games just sitting on my shelf...

Some of those duplo bricks are so nostalgic to me. Interesting to see the ones where they've slightly changed the design for some unknown reason.
    AllBrick
    AllBrick said:
    Nice! Lots of bargain baseplates? 
    Yep. I've used quite a few of them for a modular building MOC
    Mr_CrossAllBrick
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    I didn’t know there were LEGO bedpans...
    gmonkey76pxchrisKungFuKennyAllBrickcatwranglerAddicted2Oxygen
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,509
    ^ When ya gotta go...
    Yellowcastle
    93082a has a nice little selection of colours if you've never seen a pan before.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,091
    Inspired by a few other collectors on this thread, I've added to my crab and fish line up with some scorpions and baby raptors.
    Do you still have crabs or are you feeling better now? 🙂
    Where to go next with these?
    The possibilities are almost endless!  My most satisfying collections have been the animals, but browsing Bricklink for a previously un-tapped part type can be pretty enjoyable.  I may try to collect every shade of white 1x2 brick available, which could take years...😀
    CymbelineYellowcastleSwitchfoot55pxchris
    Inspired by a few other collectors on this thread, I've added to my crab and fish line up with some scorpions and baby raptors. Managed to pickup the last few I was missing whilst BLing my F1 cars.

I'd go for 80's F1 cars. They were pretty interesting. 
    KungFuKenny
    I'd go for 80's F1 cars. They were pretty interesting. 
    Got a quartet of late 70s first, then I'll look at his 80s collection
    KungFuKenny
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,550
    Binoculars? Roller skates? Rangefinders?
    KungFuKenny
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,340
    I may try to collect every shade of white 1x2 brick available, which could take years...😀
    I think the last bulk-lot owner I purchased from must have been a collector of these too... I could arrange QUITE the trade ;) 
    KungFuKenny
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk EnglandMember Posts: 589
    Inspired by a few other collectors on this thread, I've added to my crab and fish line up with some scorpions and baby raptors. Managed to pickup the last few I was missing whilst BLing my F1 cars.

Nice, how did you get the plain sand green baby dinosaur? As none available on Bricklink!
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,091
    edited March 20
    PJ76uk said:

Nice, how did you get the plain sand green baby dinosaur? As none available on Bricklink!
    There are quite a few available- maybe your search parameter was a bit off?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=37829&name=Dinosaur, Baby Standing&category=[Animal, Dinosaur]#T=S&C=48&O={"color":48,"iconly":0}

The olive green version is from the Sesame Street set, correct?
    edited March 20
    Here are all of part 98141 Weapon Crescent Blade... 

and the different colors of paddles (2 part types)

PJ76ukSpeedman29Mr_CrosscatwranglerGothamConstructionCopxchrisstluxAllBrick
    PJ76uk said:

There are quite a few available- maybe your search parameter was a bit off?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=37829&name=Dinosaur, Baby Standing&category=[Animal, Dinosaur]#T=S&C=48&O={"color":48,"iconly":0}

The olive green version is from the Sesame Street set, correct?
    My bad, I meant the Olive Green! I have the Sand Green one in #76122 Batcave Clayface Invasion. Didn't want to buy Sesame Street set and no UK sellers have listed the Olive Green currently...
    KungFuKenny
    Just checked and there are loads of UK sellers with both plain colours on BL. Most difficult was the grey with blue striped version. No UK sellers, but I found a place I buy minifigures from stocking it for £3, plus I had some loyalty points to use that covered that cost
    Just checked and there are loads of UK sellers with both plain colours on BL. Most difficult was the grey with blue striped version. No UK sellers, but I found a place I buy minifigures from stocking it for £3, plus I had some loyalty points to use that covered that cost
    Weirdly I see hundreds of listings now! Not quite sure what I was doing differently before! But with a feedback rating of 3 I guess its obvious I'm a novice and don't use BL much!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    Wow and creepy.
    arathemis