Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

"Temporarily sold out"

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,023
    My understanding is that LEGO doesn't 'oversell' any individual sets past their current year production schedule.  They do adjust their production schedules if they anticipate disproportionate demand in the next cycle for the product.  

As noted above - they don't want lengthy backorders, they'd prefer consumers buy an immediate alternative product or push consumers out to other retail outlets, and LEGO seems to avoid anything that would artificially inflate their current year sales.  I get the sense they are very intent on managing growth and keeping expectations very measured.
    AstrobricksFizyx
    LEGO also keeps their [email protected], Retail Store and wholesale channels very separate.  If Target adds more of the Creator line, a portion of the overall production is allocated to Target.  It doesn't first go to [email protected]  (This is partially why Elf Clubhouses are still on the shelves at Target, despite being out of stock at [email protected])  On the flip side, for actual exclusives like the Treehouse - currently 100% of the stock allocation goes to [email protected]  It is already off of the plan-o-grams for the LEGO Retail Stores, and was not available in great volume to other wholesale (third-party) sellers.

The Treehouse better illustates a 'pure' example of how stock comes in and out of availability when allocated to a single sale channel.
    YellowcastleFizyx
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Does anyone have a stock alert website they use for the Canadian LEGO shop? I'm waiting patiently for a Spring Lantern Festival but I'm worried it'll never come back!
    SumoLego
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    That was a grest stock  I had an email that the Rose was available. I saw the email, went to go order, and it was not in stock. The time delta between my email, seeing the email and trying to buy... and hour.
    panchox1
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 326
    tamamahm said:
    That was a grest stock  I had an email that the Rose was available. I saw the email, went to go order, and it was not in stock. The time delta between my email, seeing the email and trying to buy... and hour.

I got the same email and went right away to order and it was saying as it has for weeks "Temporarily Out Of Stock" but I went back just now and it was available. I think their email notifications of availability are getting ahead of website availability.
    Funny. I was just coming here to post that I just got another email a few hours back saying they were back in stock again. Finally ordered.! Now just waiting for Spring Lantern which will probably come in right when I want to order Winnie-the-Pooh.

Bumblepants
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 947
    I guess I don’t see how accepting my order for a product that they clearly intend to continue to sell would make muck up their production runs.  It would seem that the normal practice would be to book a sale whenever possible.
    Many customers would purchase an available set instead, so Lego gets a sale they wouldn't have got had they allowed them to join a virtual queue. And many of these will go on and purchase the set they had originally wanted later, when it becomes available, so they get 2 sales for the price of 1.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,309
    I’d like to resuscitate my question from above in case any of our smart folks here know the answer: Why is LEGO limiting current sets from being backordered?  I’m sure there is a reason but it’s not jumping out at me.
    There is also a finance issue here. If a card becomes invalid in the meantime, then they need to either cancel orders as they cannot be paid (bad for customer that has been waiting for ages) or contact the customer and get new details (and so extra customer service costs). Worse if they do it by PayPal, as they would have pre-charged the customer, then that drops out as they do not fulfill the order, then they have to try to charge the customer again.
    OldfanYellowcastle
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,296
    edited March 2021
    tamamahm said:
    Funny. I was just coming here to post that I just got another email a few hours back saying they were back in stock again. Finally ordered.! Now just waiting for Spring Lantern which will probably come in right when I want to order Winnie-the-Pooh.

@tomahawker has noted in the [email protected] thread it is available now. Get in there!
    WesterBricksKungFuKennyMarshallmarioSeijiAmasawatomahawker
    tamamahm said:

@tomahawker has noted in the [email protected] thread it is available now. Get in there!
    Thanks. It is so crazy. I was checking a ton yesterday because with so much coming in, I was concerned it would come in and I would miss it. It looks like it came available about an hour after I placed my order. 🙄 If I would have checked my email one last time before bed I would have seen it.  Because it is spring break, our sleep schedules are off, so just got up and saw it available. I got a backorder in for 60 days out. 😕 I am at least glad to have a backorder. 👍 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,082
    The #71741 Ninjago City Gardens has been listed on the web site as Temporary Out Of Stock for a while but today I actually got out of the house (out maybe once every 6 weeks or so due to Covid) today and went (of course!!) to the LEGO store in Jacksonville and they had it in stock!!! Of course then things got really expensive because they also had #80024 Legendary Flower Fruit Mtn ... hubby may NEVER let me out again!
    Well, you've got enough building to last for... a couple of days... then what? ;)
    AstrobricksCymbelineEGRoberts
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 326
    Well, you've got enough building to last for... a couple of days... then what? ;)
    I'm going to try to stretch it out for a week! then I guess I start taking things apart so I can build them again.

560HeliportCymbeline
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 353
    My wife REALLY wants Diagon Alley, should we be patient or pay a little more from Brick link? If it'll be back in a few weeks, we might as well wait. I had this problem with my Barracuda Bay set, but that worked out fine (I ended up with 2). 

Just looking for some opinions.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,480
    I would not buy new sets from bricklink. Buy them from LEGO
    vanvonfullKungFuKennyBumblepantskhmellymelPDelahanty
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 648
    Personally if a set is currently in production there is no way I would pay more than rrp for a set.  I'm perfectly willing to wait for it to come back in stock at regular price.  It has come back in stock a few times that I've seen.  Fortunately for me I purchased it day one.  Several other sets I've had to wait months for on back-order like the Disney Castle & the Bookshop.  The next biggie for me is the Haunted House but I'm waiting for Double Points before I order that one.
    MCNwakeboardvanvonfullKungFuKennyOldfanBumblepantsmadforLEGOFizyx
    Look at it this way: if you pay extra to get it today, then tomorrow it's back at [email protected] at RRP, would you be angry, or just say, "Oh well, at least we got one"? 
    KungFuKennyvanvonfull
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 209
    If you pay extra on BrickLink you’re just feeding the people who scooped the sets up for profit and put you in this pickle to begin with. I say let the flippers starve and wait for [email protected] to restock.
    560HeliportMarshallmarioKungFuKennydaynaRTdatsunrobbiekarritEGRobertsPDelahantyGothamConstructionCo
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 281
    Hurray for little Timmy!
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsjmeninno
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,361
    And Spring Lantern Festival is gone again... hopefully those who wanted it were able to order in time... I’m probably going to snag the Story of Nian as well soon.  If the CNY sets run like last year then all of them should be available until at least next fall, but with Covid and Lego’s production issues I wouldn’t count on it..
    SumoLego
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 683
    If you pay extra on BrickLink you’re just feeding the people who scooped the sets up for profit and put you in this pickle to begin with. I say let the flippers starve and wait for [email protected] to restock.
    I guess you only buy stuff from the manufacturer/producer and never from a third party.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    No, we also leverage authorized dealers and resellers who commit to stocking purchases with this MFG well in advance of any later ‘constrained market’ flippers.
    karritFizyxPDelahanty
    Hurray for little Timmy!
    I'll make sure to steal the package off of the porch.  That way Timmy can anticipate delivery and then I'll crush his spirit.
    560Heliportgmonkey76TkattMarshallmario
    No, we also leverage authorized dealers and resellers who commit to stocking purchases with this MFG well in advance of any later ‘constrained market’ flippers.
    Authorized dealers and resellers do it for free? No. Could the stock they receive be sold directly by LEGO? Yes, especially nowadays. The only "difference" is that they are forced to obey LEGO's rules, those kind of "stocking purchases" and others, that especially in a country like mine are pretty strict for small resellers. Big chains can keep up, but small shops can't.
    Also, that "constrain" exists because authorized dealers and resellers get a lot of stock - if all of it (impossible, I know) would be sold directly by LEGO, the constraint would be different. Maybe even fairer, as I cannot easily buy something that only exists in UK LEGO stores, and Portugal doesn't have any, but I could buy it directly from LEGO if that option existed. 
    I'm not defending those that buy all the stock of a certain stip to flip it. I'm just saying that, to me, a guy having 100 identical sets for sale or a store having them is more less the same thing, nowadays (in terms of market constraint, there's a bunch of legal and other stuff that I don't want to get into). 
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,232
    jnscoelho said:
    I'm not defending those that buy all the stock of a certain stip to flip it. I'm just saying that, to me, a guy having 100 identical sets for sale or a store having them is more less the same thing, nowadays (in terms of market constraint, there's a bunch of legal and other stuff that I don't want to get into). 
    I think, in my mind, and from what I'm reading, the difference is really between scalpers and people selling at the RRP of the set.  I personally (and I think most of the people in this thread) would have no issue paying RRP for a set from the guy with 100 identical sets, assuming he obtained them through legal means and wasn't abusing some program to get the sets at cheaper prices than a 'normal' person could. (Blah blah blah, assuming they were also willing to set up a shop/bulk order for wholesale prices, etc etc.  Basically just that they get it by not cheating.)  The issue comes when that guy gets the sets, and then tries to flip them and make a profit scalping them for higher than RRP prices.  And actually, I agree with you again here that the guy and the store are the same... a store trying to do the same thing would be one that I would avoid and not buy from.  But either way, it's really the attempt to snatch and then sell current sets at above RRP that is the problem, not so much who is doing it.

On a different note, as I expected and mentioned earlier in the year, it looks to me like many of LEGO's stocking issues are starting to be resolved.  Very large/popular sets are still OOS or on backorder, but looking at my wishlist on LEGO's site, almost everything else is back in stock at this point.  I think it will take a while longer for the more popular set's availability to stabilize again, but I do think it looks like LEGO is catching up over all.
    Marshallmario
    ^Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly common here for stores to sell sets above their RRP.
    Nobody forces nobody to buy anything, especially if the set hasn't been retired. I only buy what I want, be it from a random guy or a random store. While I'm totally against somebody that would stock 100 copies of the same set to sell later, I have no problem with stocking 1 or 2 copies. And I've seen several Timmys finding joy in retired sets that somebody flipped for a profit, that otherwise they would have never gotten a chance to play with.
    iwybs
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,309
    SumoLego said:
    Hurray for little Timmy!
    I'll make sure to steal the package off of the porch.  That way Timmy can anticipate delivery and then I'll crush his spirit.

That's not good.

At the very least, you should replace it with a LEGO box part filled with dry dog food. Better still, set up video cameras inside his house so you can post the disappointment video on youtube.
    SumoLegoFizyx560HeliportEGRobertsMarshallmariogmonkey76
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 353
    I WAS able to find one at the Legoland in Auburn Hills Mi. They had one more, from the looks of it. They charged $400 for it as well, I was expecting some sort of price hike from them. Sets were more expensive there in the past.
    CCC said:
    ...disappointment...
    Ooooo... I can put a glitter bomb in it to really emphasize the disappointment.
    560Heliportgmonkey76
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Petaluma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 229
    Sometime over the last few days, anything on my Lego.com wishlist that was marked "Sold Out" has disappeared.  I guess that means for sure they're not coming back (even if some of them were STILL in stock at local stores.)  32x32 road plates, I weep for you.  May you rest in peace.
    YellowcastleJudgeChuckgmonkey76prevere
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 648
    Sometime over the last few days, anything on my Lego.com wishlist that was marked "Sold Out" has disappeared.  I guess that means for sure they're not coming back (even if some of them were STILL in stock at local stores.)  32x32 road plates, I weep for you.  May you rest in peace.

I though I was imagining it when some of them disappeared off my wishlist too but they haven't all been deleted yet.  I had deleted a few myself & some are still there but some are definitely gone from my wishlist now.  Don't know why they didn't delete the Hidden Side ones since they've been soldout/discontinued since before the holidays.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 598
    Weird, I just checked my list and 1 or 2 disappeared, but a few are still there.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    Nooooooo.  Nebulon has disappeared.  I had plans to keep it there forever as a cold, piercing reminder of my failure to stay awake and click...
    vanvonfullCymbelinePDelahanty
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 598
    Nooooooo.  Nebulon has disappeared.  I had plans to keep it there forever as a cold, piercing reminder of my failure to stay awake and click...
    Oooh, maybe that's the other one on my list that disappeared.  I don't recall if I deleted that one myself recently, but one that I definitely didn't delete myself was the Kenobi 20th Anniv poly.  I still have a few other "Sold Out" items in my list, so I wonder if it's just a Star Wars thing.  "As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced..."
    KungFuKenny560Heliport
    These aren’t the sets we were looking for...
    MarshallmarioKungFuKenny
  • The_StudThe_Stud IndianaMember Posts: 59
    The Ideas Tree House is out of stock on [email protected] I know it was supposed to be retired last year, but has stuck around for longer than anticipated. Does anyone expect it to come back again or did I miss the boat?
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,243
    The_Stud said:
    The Ideas Tree House is out of stock on [email protected] I know it was supposed to be retired last year, but has stuck around for longer than anticipated. Does anyone expect it to come back again or did I miss the boat?
    It is listed as Temporarily Out of Stock, so it will probably come back. Hard to make any solid predictions though.
    PDelahanty
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,927
    I'm wondering if the #40440 is going to be restocked... I hope so since I didn't have a chance to pick it up originally.
  • PisceanPetPisceanPet UKMember Posts: 41
    edited March 2021
    #80107 Spring Lantern Festival is showing as available in the UK right now in case anyone is waiting!  Just got my order in....
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,894
    IDEAS tree house is showing up as available now in the UK!
    KungFuKenny
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 731
    It's frustrating when a product goes out of stock almost immediately at the VIP early access stage.  Do they withhold x amount of stock for general release?
  • quark12000quark12000 hereMember Posts: 23
    I've now given up hope of ever getting the Police Station.  Well, that's it for modulars.  Lego just saved me a bunch of money.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,480
    I've now given up hope of ever getting the Police Station.  Well, that's it for modulars.  Lego just saved me a bunch of money.

Calm down.... jeez.
    SumoLegoBumblepantsstluxjmeninnoiwybsAyliffepxchris
    daewoo said:
    Do they withhold x amount of stock for general release?
    I doubt it.  They're in the business of selling as much product as possible, as quickly as possible.  
    jhuntin1

Calm down.... jeez.
    This might be better suited in the “unpopular opinion” thread, but I’m not sure how much I even like the police station.  That being said, this set will likely be around into 2023 so I think it’s silly to give up on finding it.
    Astrobricksstluxjmeninno
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Petaluma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 229
    edited March 2021
    Yellowcastle said:
    This might be better suited in the “unpopular opinion” thread, but I’m not sure how much I even like the police station.  That being said, this set will likely be around into 2023 so I think it’s silly to give up on finding it.
    I hear ya. It's not even top half of my favorites.  Maybe that will change once I get it and build it...but I doubt it.  At this point I'm only getting it because I bought all the other modular buildings when they were new (except Market Street because it looked ugly and I have no regrets and still don't consider it a "real" modular.)  I'm in no rush to get it though.  Maybe next year.

Waiting for my backorder of Spring Lantern Festival to arrive...but I see it in stock at ALL my local Lego stores, so that's super frustrating.  I could mask up and go have it this afternoon...or I can keep waiting who knows how long for my order to arrive.
    I also started getting called by my LEGO store for the SLF but just got mine in the mail so all square.
  • quark12000quark12000 hereMember Posts: 23

Calm down.... jeez.
    Well, considering it was "around" for about an hour on the day ordering started, and, unlike the Spring Lantern Festival, hasn't been seen since, I think it's safe to assume they've stopped producing them.

Calm down.... jeez.
    Well, considering it was "around" for about an hour on the day ordering started, and, unlike the Spring Lantern Festival, hasn't been seen since, I think it's safe to assume they've stopped producing them.
    It's been less than three months! Give them a little time to make some more.
    Astrobricksstluxpvp3020jmeninnoCathyVT
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 500
    I originally ordered #10278, Police Station, on Dec 31 and it was shipped Jan 18. I ordered my second Police Station on Mar 9 when it was on backorder and it's being delivered on Tuesday.   
    AstrobricksKungFuKenny