Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Quality issues / broken parts

1234568»

Comments

• karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 794
    Some of these clip pieces (https://brickset.com/parts/255526/plate-1x1-w-up-right-holder) broke recently. And some of them were made in black and grey...

I had one of those in black that was broken when I switched out my Creator #31038 - to the winter version.  Contacted Lego online & they shipped me a replacement for it without issue.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,250
    Lego redesigned those a couple of years ago. It's likely that there wasn't enough 'give' in the clip of the old version, which probably resulted in stresses greater than the clip could eventually tolerate, resulting in some of them breaking after a while.
    KungFuKenny
  • middleton83middleton83 Member Posts: 18
    My Fire Brigade #10197 is still built from when I got it as a present 8 years ago, now I don't want to take it apart in case it breaks, but I was wondering whether the Pet Shop #10218 would have the same issues as it has lots of reddish brown parts.
  • BubbaBubba Member Posts: 53
    Today while disassembling the Lego Simpsons House (SET#17006) I ended up breaking about a dozen bricks. They were mostly the 1x6 Tiles and 1x8 Plates. The breaks would occur at the end/tip of the brick. What was shocking is how easy the break was and how it was like dealing with something that had rotted and was coming apart as you handled it. We have hundreds of sets between the ones I have when I was kid (over 30 years old) and the ones my own kids have and I have never experienced anything like this. I used to bowl up sets with fire crackers as a kid and I don't ever recall break a brick just blowing the pieces apart.

Have any of you ever experienced something like this with any Lego bricks where the pieces seemed to be rotted. I've emailed Lego support and I know they will replace broken bricks but my concern is that the whole set is bad or at least more pieces. After the first 6 had broken I got to thinking that maybe (and I hope I'm wrong) that Lego outsourced some brick manufacturing and these were cheaper and poorly made bricks. 

needless to say the wife nd I as the kids' were surprised by this. I'd ask to see proof from someone who told me this if I I had not experienced it myself. 
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 239
    What colour are the parts? Some years ago LEGO had trouble with reddish brown and blue parts, something about the chemical composition...
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 331
    There was a lot of trouble with reddish brown and dark red parts crumbling between about 2012-2018.  The formula for those colors has been fixed now, but it's terrible that they let the problem get so big for so long.  The Simpsons House set was right in the middle of the bad years for those colors.
    edited March 2021
    What colour are the parts? Some years ago LEGO had trouble with reddish brown and blue parts, something about the chemical composition...
    Most of the pieces were in deed brown. Not that It's a good thing this happened but I'm glad to know there's at least a known reason for this.  That said It's not just brown parts that broke and not just the Simpson set. I am in the process of taking apart and bagging up a number of sets we've had put-together and in the kids play room for several years and I had a 6x12 Green plate brock snap right in half while disassembling the 4645 Harbor set. 

I found a story/article (https://brickshow.com/2018/12/problem-brittle-lego-reddish-brown-bricks-solved) that included the LEGO press release that addressed this issue o brittle bricks but they don't mention any shades of Green as being an issue so maybe this was just a one of.  Have to give LGO credit in that even though these bricks were flawed they will still replace them. We got the Simpson set several years ago and I had no issue with getting replacement parts. Most corporations especially large ones look for that date they can say "no longer our responsibility.
    vanvonfull
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,820

Talking of reddish brown... Posted this on my instagram a few days ago. Seems I'm not the only one to have it happen.
    KungFuKennyFizyx
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    @andhe - have you given any thought to a Game of Thrones MOC? :o)
    KungFuKenny
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,487
    Gordon Elliott will be along soon.

I had a traditional Green 6x12 plater snap in half this weekend when disassembling the 4645 Harbor Set and from what I can determine Green pieces have not been reported to be a color that's been know to produce brittle elements. I know TLG will replace it , its just concerning how many of this brittle and broken bricks I've been experiencing the last few weeks while disassembling sets my kids have outgrown.  I have sets form the 80s that consist of pieces that seem to be far more durable than what we've gotten in the last 10 years. 
  • KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 253
    One minute of silence to this Bionicle piece from 2009... :-(

veyniacpxchrisKungFuKenny
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 723
    Hmmm, saw this earlier today on my son's #42121 (the third 71708):

Would that be reason for you to call CS?

Also, the material of these parts seems different to what I'm used to when I was still building lots of Technic?
    pxchris
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,333
    ^ I’m pretty sure that’s just the parts being misaligned because there is no pin or axle at the edge keeping the third and fourth parts in alignment. See step 82 of the instructions.

eMJeeNL
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 143
    Hi all - looking for a bit of advice here, if possible.

Like many here, I have a Lego room - and I have a lot of sets on display.  I've hit the limit of what I can display, so I've been disassembling sets that have been together for many years to make room for new purchases - and disappointingly, I've noticed that several bricks have cracked.

I've never really experienced this before, mostly because I build and display and don't really peer closely at the sets after.  I spotted an issue with white cheese slopes on the top of a couple of Christmas sets, which Lego replaced many years ago.

Some of the bricks which have broken are reddish brown; I put in for a replacement for one and replaced the rest out of my loose collection.

But disappointingly, I've had real issues with clips which I don't have spares of in my loose collection.  These are sets which have been built once and been on display ever since - in a house which isn't too dry or too humid, in a room with no direct sunlight etc.  There's no kids or pets here - so it's not misuse.

I had 3 break on the top of Kwik-E-Mart and I put in for a replacement, specified all 3 had broken - and Lego sent just 1.  :(  

Last night, I discovered one of the clips on Hogwarts had broken - again, it's been built for 3 years, and was just holding one of the trees on the side.  It's never been played with or dropped or even rebuilt.

Just trying to figure out the best approach.  Has anyone been through this before?  I feel like I've put in one request in 15 years and suddenly two in 2 weeks and now I've got several that I should claim for, but I don't want to get some sort of blacklist for requesting parts.

I couldn't seem to find a way to say 'multiple bricks have broken' in one request, but I might be missing something on the site.  It seems costly for them to post+pack individually, but maybe you can't do multiples because they don't expect you'd have multiple broken bricks in a set?  Just wondering if other people have dealt with this.
    For penny parts that often crack, I tend to order a load on bricklink when I am buying something else from that seller. They'll all crack again anyway, so might as well get spares.
    pvp3020WesterBricks
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,333
    @mnbvc, I’m guessing you didn’t read the rest of this thread.
    This is unfortunately a common problem with certain colors of certain parts produced in certain periods. Lego has acknowledged problems for some of these, like reddish brown. Others on this board have reported good luck getting replacements for sets that aren’t too old. But ymmv. Like many organizations, Lego may be having trouble keeping up its standards of customer service.
    @mnbvc, I’m guessing you didn’t read the rest of this thread.
    This is unfortunately a common problem with certain colors of certain parts produced in certain periods. Lego has acknowledged problems for some of these, like reddish brown. Others on this board have reported good luck getting replacements for sets that aren’t too old. But ymmv. Like many organizations, Lego may be having trouble keeping up its standards of customer service.
    I did read the thread.  Apologies if it wasn't clear - but my query wasn't 'does anyone have cracked bricks'.  I experienced the cheese slope problems in some sets years ago, and the reddish brown bricks breaking didn't surprise me at all as I'd read many complaints over the years.

My query was more about the best approach to get the bricks replaced.  With people having such large collections, I assume I'm not the first to find a number of bricks broken across several sets from different years.  I was wondering if anyone had any best approaches they could suggest.  I was especially wondering if it was possible to request more than one replacement brick at a time through the replacement programme - I just couldn't seem to find a way to do it (maybe it's because I was on my phone and not desktop).

So, for example:

-  Do I continue to log them as I find them on the Replacement Brick programme?  And if/when I get blacklisted, then respond to Lego with an explanation of what's happened?
    -  Do I deconstruct everything, check for broken bricks, and log them all as a single query with Customer Service?
    -  Do I deconstruct the sets, make a spreadsheet, and put a single request in every few weeks so as to spread them out?
    -  Do I reach out to Customer Service with this query to start with and see what they respond with?
    -  Do I give it up as 'tough luck' and purchase some bulk lots from sellers so I can replace if/when it happens again?

That's what I was wondering.  I realise there might not be a best answer, but I figured some of you must've been through the same and someone might have a great idea.  :)  
    Astrobricks
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 794
    Did you just send an e-mail requesting replacement or did you use the replace broken bricks option on the website?  The website is set up to allow you to choose the quantity of broken pieces when you use it by inputting the actual set number.  Your other option is to call customer service directly.  I've requested replacements several times over the past few years just using the website.  I only call if the part I need doesn't show as available.
    mnbvcFizyxAstrobricks
    edited December 2021
    karrit said:
    Did you just send an e-mail requesting replacement or did you use the replace broken bricks option on the website?  The website is set up to allow you to choose the quantity of broken pieces when you use it by inputting the actual set number.  Your other option is to call customer service directly.  I've requested replacements several times over the past few years just using the website.  I only call if the part I need doesn't show as available.
    Ohhhh, I think it's because I was on mobile.  I was using Replacement Bricks on the website - but it's working fine for me adding multiple bricks now - whereas before, it wouldn't let me add multiples or go back and add different sets.  

Appreciate this, thanks mate.  I think I will deconstruct all the sets I intend to, log any bricks that have broken, put a single order in - and then if Lego reach out to me to query why, I'll explain.
    karritAstrobricks
    FYI.. There is a limit to how many replacement pieces you can submit using the Replacement Parts process. I had been saving up until I finished breaking down all the sets planned for storage and then submitted it and it was 31 pieces between 8 sets (several of the large Creator sets) and I was initially sent a denial email; saying they could not accommodate the request. I emailed back and explained what I had done and then they re-processed it so you can over use the system. 
    AstrobricksSwitchfoot55KungFuKenny
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Yellowstone, 1883Member Posts: 3,036
    To avoid the above denial email (which I've received too in the past) is to just do the CS chat option and have them manually put an order together. You could also call it in if you have the time. 

I think overuse of the replacement system puts a flag on your account for a period of time as well to ensure no abuse of the system. 

I've been making a list, and checking it twice, with broken pieces I've discovered in my winter village this year. I'll likely have 15-20ish parts I'll try to request. Fingers crossed!
    eMJeeNL
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 948
    I've been making a list, and checking it twice, ...
    ...Santa?
    Switchfoot55gmonkey76KungFuKennyjmeninnoCyberdragoneMJeeNL
    To avoid the above denial email (which I've received too in the past) is to just do the CS chat option and have them manually put an order together. You could also call it in if you have the time. 

I think overuse of the replacement system puts a flag on your account for a period of time as well to ensure no abuse of the system. 

I've been making a list, and checking it twice, with broken pieces I've discovered in my winter village this year. I'll likely have 15-20ish parts I'll try to request. Fingers crossed!
    I fear most of the pieces from sets made during that period when they had parts made with that problematic dark brown/reddish dye will end up having to be replaced eventually.  I tried putting together one of the Winter Village sets we got a few years back and got 3 more broken pieces all brown/reddish in color. 

Sadly while I did get my order after all they did not send me the right items for everything. I had 2 Saucer Balls broken from the Creator Emporium Set and they sent me 2 Light Grey colored Saucer balls instead of the brownish colored ones that come with the set. I do hope its just a mix up and not a substitute b/c that piece is no longer available in that color. If so it won't ruin the set because the Grey can work but it does devalue it some. 

I too keep track in a spreadsheet of broken pieces and replacements b/c already (more then once) I've just tossed a broken piece to the side and later when i went to make a not I had forgotten which set it was from and I don't want to end up in a situation where I've order more replacement pieces for a set than that set came with. If it were any other color brick I'd be grateful for whatever they can do but with these brown & reddish brick that are known to be problematic I feel they need to make right on those. 
    I don't know what LEGO does if anything but as a data/analyst guy if I were working there in replacement pieces I'd have a DB of email addresses & shipping addresses keeping track of all replacement parts to prevent abuse.  Too much abuse of the system and they could one day decide to stop doing it and that would screw the rest of us who use it like its designed to be used. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Yellowstone, 1883Member Posts: 3,036
    I do know that if the part/sticker sheet/etc... is no longer in production, they will not send the correct color replacement. In cases where there is a new/current color, they will substitute. Otherwise, you're out of luck. 
    Bubba said:
    I don't know what LEGO does if anything but as a data/analyst guy if I were working there in replacement pieces I'd have a DB of email addresses & shipping addresses keeping track of all replacement parts to prevent abuse.  Too much abuse of the system and they could one day decide to stop doing it and that would screw the rest of us who use it like its designed to be used. 
    And what would the threshold for abuse be? Someone ordering ten parts for a set they didn't buy? Someone ordering 100 parts after buying 1000 sets (but not from lego). If you don't know how much they buy, how can you check abuse?
    autolycus
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,358
    CCC said:
    Bubba said:
    And what would the threshold for abuse be? Someone ordering ten parts for a set they didn't buy? Someone ordering 100 parts after buying 1000 sets (but not from lego). If you don't know how much they buy, how can you check abuse?
    Agree completely. Even if they set up a system to give more leeway for known good customers based on their own VIP system, they still wouldn't know what someone is buying from third parties like Amazon.
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 358
    All clips are broken but I'm taking it on the chin as I'm nearly getting fed up with lego . I'm not going to tap out but nowhere to display or store and a Wife who hates lego ,I'm feeling I should pull the pin .I love lego and even got lego tattoos but it's turning into a chore
    Just finished inventorying the parts I got and naturally its not %100 accurate. Apparently LEGO changes the Element/Part# used for individual bricks/elements so the number listed in the build guide that came with the set may no longer be accurate and presumably these changes aren't published publicly so customers don't have a way to check. I can't understand why they'd change numbers on the elements/bricks knowing it can lead to these kinds of problems. It's not like as if they must re-use a number when an element is no longer available. In some cases I found that the elements number had changed and a new number was being used for the exact same element and a different still available element was using the old # so I got shipped something that did not match what I needed because they shuffled around part numbers. Geesh. 
    CCC said:
    Bubba said:
    Requesting the same element form the same set more than X times within Y time frame excluding the known problematic Dyes (the Reddish Brown & Dark Red) . You could use different contact info and of course you can move but the combination of Customer name + Address + Number is part of the order and that's stored and thus usable. If the same person is submitting replacement pieces for the same element and set multiple times over too short a period of time that would raise a red flag. Known issues aside if a customer is replacing (for example) the same say 8x10 plate every year or 2 from the same set than LEGO should cut them off because that will eventually be passed onto the rest of us in price hikes.  
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 184
    Bubba said:
    Just finished inventorying the parts I got and naturally its not %100 accurate. Apparently LEGO changes the Element/Part# used for individual bricks/elements so the number listed in the build guide that came with the set may no longer be accurate and presumably these changes aren't published publicly so customers don't have a way to check. I can't understand why they'd change numbers on the elements/bricks knowing it can lead to these kinds of problems. It's not like as if they must re-use a number when an element is no longer available. In some cases I found that the elements number had changed and a new number was being used for the exact same element and a different still available element was using the old # so I got shipped something that did not match what I needed because they shuffled around part numbers. Geesh. 
    I'm no expert but I believe the numbers in the instructions' parts lists refer to both a design and colour combination. I've never relied on them as part numbers. I use the inventories and part numbers on Bricklink - which are generally the LEGO design IDs. It's not perfect, and you need to be careful about design variants, but it's way more reliable for inventorying a parts collection.

pvp3020 said:
    Bubba said:
    I'm no expert but I believe the numbers in the instructions' parts lists refer to both a design and colour combination. I've never relied on them as part numbers. I use the inventories and part numbers on Bricklink - which are generally the LEGO design IDs. It's not perfect, and you need to be careful about design variants, but it's way more reliable for inventorying a parts collection.

That would make sense if this were constant but it's not. of the 17 different elements  I ordered 6 had different part#'s now at LEGO then what is listed in the build guide that came with the sets while 11 did not. When you enter the part/element# on Bricklink it will show you not just the element but what color it is. EXAMPLE a 1x6 Plate is Reddish Brown is# 421590 where as the Dark Red color of that same brick/element is 4539062. 
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,986
    We have been taken apart some of my son’s older sets that he no longer needs displayed.
    We have had at least 10+ Flat  brown pieces simply break/crumble. I did not track which sets they were from, beyond knowing one set with broken pieces was a Minecraft set. Considering the age of my son, though, these sets would definitely fall in the 2012-2018 range. Some of the other sets we were taking apart… Ninjago, police, etc.
  • sonofrich2sonofrich2 NAMember Posts: 18
    I hope this is the correct thread for what follows. 

I had recently received an order with a VIP reward for the pirate coin. When the package arrived, I had received the coin wrapped in tissue paper only, sitting loosely packed inside the box.  The tissue paper was ripped in the upper corner and the acrylic was marred. When I contacted NA CS try to get an exchange, They told me that they could not exchange the item due to limited quantities, but did refund my VIP points that were used.

I was wondering if anybody else had similar issues outside of NA or is this a NA problem only?
  • sonofrich2sonofrich2 NAMember Posts: 18
    pvp3020 said:
    Bubba said:

From what I have be told by LEGO, when they change a part number,the which is what is listed in the instruction book, it is because the design of that element has changed and has most likely received a new design ID number.  The part that I'm most familiar with,  is this black sword from the NINJAGO line. If memory serves correctly there have been 3 different part numbers for that black sword.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 956
    Back in 2012-2015 I was buying A LOT of sets, so naturally opening a lot of sets. Some were missing pieces, a lot have cracked since then. I tried requesting replacements and they said they couldn't send me any more pieces. So yes, definitely a limit to it all. I quit requesting after that and just eat the cost for this "luxury" toy. I mean, they need their billions.
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 653
    Sethro3 said:
    Back in 2012-2015 I was buying A LOT of sets, so naturally opening a lot of sets. Some were missing pieces, a lot have cracked since then. I tried requesting replacements and they said they couldn't send me any more pieces. So yes, definitely a limit to it all. I quit requesting after that and just eat the cost for this "luxury" toy. I mean, they need their billions.
    If you're requesting the replacements online, there are more automated restrictions. Try calling them and talking to a CSR.  If they won't work with you, call back and talk to a different CSR.
    gmonkey76Marshallmario
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 956
    It really does depend on which CSR you talk with too, I've found..

I did call in and talk to them and request things. They seemed in disbelief, so I guess they marked my file. I just quit trying to replace any of them after that.
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 530
    edited March 25
    I just purchased #10297 and design 95270 (door for tabless frame) doesn't fit properly
    and keeps falling open. The previous design 60614 which was also made in dark tan fit perfectly. Has anyone else noticed this problem in #10297, #76399, or #76396?
    I've emailed Lego customer service. 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,250
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 69
    I was sorting through some mid 2010s stuff and found a Chewbacca, some Jawas, and a Ninjago guy who have arms that are very hard to move up and down. Good to know it's a common issue and not something I did, i'll just say they have arthritis 
    Brickfan50
  • Jern92Jern92 New ZealandMember Posts: 888
     Spent the past couple of weeks disassembling my entire collection for an upcoming move, and this was the result. There could have been more, but once I figured out which particular pieces were brittle, I started taking them apart very very slowly and gently (which was not easy for some of them!). Even using the Brick Separator led to broken pieces. 

I was submitting replacement requests for each set initially, not realising there would be so many. It wasn’t long before the website just auto-rejected all my orders, and I had to call customer service every single time to explain the situation instead. Now I have 5 (I think?) separate orders on their way to me, but given the shipping delays it might be a month or so before they turn up. I just hope they get to me before I move.
    FizyxAstrobricks
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 194
    edited July 16
    In the set 10297, Boutique Hotel, there are two dresser/armoire builds where the doors open loosely without any friction. They also will tilt into the dresser. Items in them will just fall out when the building is tilted. Something has changed (intentionally or poor quality) to the 4x3 window frame. It's not he doors because I swapped them into an older frame and the friction to hold the doors shut was working. Below are the parts I'm mentioning are listed below. I mixed the parts and the problem is with the frame. The lattice doors work correctly (i.e. hold in place) in all frames.

Frame 1X4X3
    - Lid ½ For Frame 1X4X3 (pre-2022 version)
    - Lid ½ For Frame 1X4X3 (2022 version)