Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dare I say, Walmart?

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,978
    Surprised I haven't seen any activity on this thread this month: I just found multiple stores around me with multiple clearance items.  In no particular order:
    #60258 Tuning Workshop $50
    #75288 AT-AT $88
    #76166 Avengers Tower $58
    #71706 Cole's Speeder Car $1
    #60228 Deep Space Rocket & Launch Control $25
    #71712 Empire Temple of Madness $28
    #71720 Fire Stone Mech $22.40
    #71822 Skull Sorceror's Dungeon $35
    #76142 Avengers Speeder Bike Attack $6 & $7
    #76140 Iron Man Mech $3.45
    #76896 Nissan GT-R Nismo $8
    #75269 Duel on Mustafar $10.95
    #41425 Olivia's Flower Garden $2.50
    #41423 Tiger Hot Air Balloon Rescue $7
    #76150 Spiderjet vs. Venom Mech $15
    #60243 Police Helicopter Chase $10
    #75551 Brick-built Minions and Their Lair $26.90
    #30453 Captain Marvel & Nick Fury $1.75
    #30394 Skeleton Defense $1
    #30370 Ocean Diver $1
    #30556 Mini Frame $1
    #71024 Disney CMF Series 2 $1.20

And probably my best discount ever...
    #60265 Ocean Exploration Base $0.30 (yes, thirty cents)

To quote Bill Hader in the oft overlooked HotRod film: "I am just green with jealous rage right now!"
    CaptainRogersKungFuKenny
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 839
    A few days ago I was the jealous one... Here's what a friend of mine found. He was in the Lego aisle while the employees were marking down clearwnce to 90% off.

BumblepantsmadforLEGOred237
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 416
    There's never anything good left on the shelves around here when clearance time rolls around.  My closest Walmart has a Bricks & Minifigs store right across the street so all the good stuff disappears immediately when it gets marked down.  The next nearest one usually shows it has items in stock that mysteriously never make it on to the shelves.  Another one is a really old store that has about a half very short aisle of Lego so not much stock at all ever.  The other two have all the big sets locked behind glass and one of those actually has about two thirds of the aisle under lock & key.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,151
    Meh, most Walmarts around me are cleared out or whatever they have left is regular price unfortunately.
    KungFuKennyrd1899
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,475
    My Walmart has all of this to offer:

No clearance
    No new 2021 sets
    Hardly any stock of anything else LEGO 
    FizyxKungFuKenny
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 737
    Was that Walmart closed for the holidays?  Geez.  I stopped by a couple WM today and saw the same as the pics above...the Knight Bus...still $22.xx.
      The best I could find were some #75225 Yoda for $55.  According to the app there was a WM an hour away that had them for $30....but that a drive for a "maybe".
    Well I did manage to get #11009 Bricks & Lights but for $10.45 from the furthest away of my next town over Walmarts.  The smallest one a little closer supposedly had it for $14.90 so I went for the cheaper one on the other end of town.  Also was able to get a few of the series 21 CMF's I was still looking for.  Not much else on the shelves but there were a couple of newer sets but not anything I was interested in.
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 586
    Oh, it's time for my annual fit of jealousy at @CaptainRogers and his walmarts again :-)?
    Seriously, everything around here flies at 10% off. Heck, they could probably mark it UP 10% and it would fly off the shelves here.
    CaptainRogersReesesPiecesFizyxgmonkey76Ronyar
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 899
    Anyone try to hunt down any of those 50 cent polybags that was first advertised on the brick fan site?

The Walmart Brickseek site showed me several polys "that were" all 50 cents.  The handful I found in store though all range up as 3.97.  A bit disappointed.

Wondering if anyone had any luck or discovered the same thing as me.
    Only thing I've found was my local store was selling the latest Harry Potter polybag for $3.00.  I didn't scan the Super Mario ones as I have no interest so I don't know if they were reduced.
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 180
    Super Mario polys were 50 cents when I found them last week. There were about 100. I bought zero. 
    KungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,053
    Super Mario polys were 50 cents when I found them last week. There were about 100. I bought zero. 
    You have better self control than I do- I’ve bought too many sets just based on extreme clearance prices!  At least they can be parted out for MOCs, but still ... :-)
    560HeliportmadforLEGObmwlego
    You have better self control than I do- I’ve bought too many sets just based on extreme clearance prices!  At least they can be parted out for MOCs, but still ... :-)

I hear ya. I have really had to stop and think now when it comes to buying a ton of LEGO on sale/clearance, not because I may feel it still isn't a good deal (it typically is), but because my argument of ' I can always part it out' is exhausted when I look around my home and see tons of LEGO sets to 'part out' and 'parted out' sets to actually start organizing from 'color' into 'part type'.
    hleonffuKungFuKennyAstrobricks560Heliportred237
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,023
    I found the Harry Potter, mario , and minecraft ones for a $1 each.  I grabbed a bunch as it'll make great v-day and end of year gifts for my students.
    hleonffuKungFuKennymadforLEGO560Heliportred237mak0137bmwlego
    Anyone have a SKU or UPC for the Mario poly?  They were still full price around here last week when I checked.  Thanks!
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 669
    The Walmart in the next town over from me had the Tuning shop for 25% off. I thought that was pretty good.
    madforLEGO
  • Jeffrey_pt_2Jeffrey_pt_2 MichiganMember Posts: 23
    Sith TIE Fighter = $28
    War Machine Buster = $8.40
    560Heliport
    Missed out on more LEGO clearance but found shoebox bins for .88 cents per
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 180
    My local shop was 20% lowest stickerEd price on all sets, today only. Not sure if it’s store specific. 

• daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 587
    It's at the point now with me that I don't even bother to go to Walmart to check for Lego because the stores around me have been barren for a while.  I only check now if I happen to go to a Walmart for some other reason.
    rd1899KungFuKenny
    #70423 Hidden Side Paranormal Intercept Bus AT $21.50 online right now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/606084943
    MarshallmariomadforLEGOReesesPieces
  • Jeffrey_pt_2Jeffrey_pt_2 MichiganMember Posts: 23
    edited January 27
    $5 only one left!

Oh, wait, that's at my local store not online.
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 168
    Now showing out of stock. Rats, missed it by that much.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,023
    Now showing out of stock. Rats, missed it by that much.
    Back in stock at the moment.  Max 2 per order.
    Marshallmario
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 839
    Just found three copies of #76143 Avengers Truck Takedown for $4 apiece.

Keep hunting!
    madforLEGO560HeliportBumblepantsReesesPiecesgmonkey76
    edited January 31
    My walmart actually had some clearance. Just stumbled on it. Got #30386 for $1.50, #43178 for $9, #71706 for $3, #75934 for $5, #70686 for $3 and #41907 for $8
    Interestingly, they were increasing prices on all other lego sets by a cent, bringing them up to even dollar amounts.
    pxchris
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,567
    ^ maybe so that people would think they were clearance prices? 
    Who knows
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,489
    panchox1 said:
    Interestingly, they were increasing prices on all other lego sets by a cent, bringing them up to even dollar amounts.
    Their prices are always a mix of .97, .99, .00, and other random amounts like .24, but I believe their “normal” prices are .97.
    Nothing has been consistent in clearances at WM this year.  What's with clearances of $11.90, $9.70 and $8.10?
    I noticed the same $0.01 increase on a number of sets at my WM yesterday as well. I also missed out on #41421 for $4 :-(

They did finally have the 2021 sets out for the most part though... took them long enough! Was able to grab the rest of the series 21 figs my kid was looking for.
    Happened to be back in WM today, and whatcha know, found a #41421 and it wrung up for $4.
    madforLEGO
    edited February 10
    panchox1 said:
    I saw that today- almost all 2021 sets are now a penny more than RRP. I'm willing to pay more than RRP at an independent toy store. I will NOT do so at the world's largest retailer! I'll be driving the 15 miles to the LEGO store instead of 2 to Walmart. Yes, I am that stubborn!
    Fizyxpxchrispanchox1Oubird
  • rbozarthrbozarth TexasMember Posts: 92
    panchox1 said:
    I saw that today- almost all 2021 sets are now a penny more than RRP. I'm willing to pay more than RRP at an independent toy store. I will NOT do so at the world's largest retailer! I'll be driving the 15 miles to the LEGO store instead of 2 to Walmart. Yes, I am that stubborn!
    Walmart more than makes up for it by offering sets at clearance prices quite often.  I shop anywhere I can get the best deal.
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 168
    Is that the cold weather in Minnesota talking? Have you even seen above 0 degrees Fahrenheit in the last 10 days?
    rbozarth said:
    panchox1 said:
    Walmart more than makes up for it by offering sets at clearance prices quite often.  I shop anywhere I can get the best deal.
    If I see a clearance price, okay, but I'm not going to pay more than RRP. 
    Is that the cold weather in Minnesota talking? Have you even seen above 0 degrees Fahrenheit in the last 10 days?
    Every day, I think. Not by much, true. I'm not going to pay more than RRP at Walmart when I can go to the Lego store and get 5% in VIP points, and sometimes GWP, plus a better shopping experience. 
    I agree that this is a really dumb move by Walmart... it makes no sense. I mean, I think the X.99 pricing scheme is dumb to begin with, we should have eliminated the penny a long time ago, but to take the step to do this to some products while other shops like The LEGO Store are still using the X.99 is just idiotic.
    560Heliportgmonkey76
    edited February 12
    pxchris said:
    I agree that this is a really dumb move by Walmart... it makes no sense. I mean, I think the X.99 pricing scheme is dumb to begin with, we should have eliminated the penny a long time ago, but to take the step to do this to some products while other shops like The LEGO Store are still using the X.99 is just idiotic.
    There’s nothing about eliminating the penny that would automatically result in prices that don’t end in 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9. And evidence says the .99 price trick works, at least on average, if not on you or me when buying Lego.

I would theorize that Walmart may be changing the normal price to .00 just to reinforce the .99 effect, so discounts of even a few cents will drive more sales. They certainly don’t have a problem with changing their prices frequently (and with little obvious reason).
    ^ It's the fact that they're now charging more than RRP (even if only a penny) that really pisses me off.
    gmonkey76
    But you're a dedicated LEGO fan that know the prices of each/most sets.   I would guess a vast majority of people at WM buying LEGO have no idea what RRP for each set is or should be.
      It's the same weirdos(my opinion) that flock to Kmart/Sears/JCPennys/Gordmans in a panic to buy groceries or useless crap they don't need at 10% off all in the name of "store closing".   When their prices were 15-25% higher to begin with.  Or they could just drive down the street to another store and get it cheaper or at the same price.

People don't know prices or comparison shop or don't care.

Bumblepants
    I agree with everything you said. On the other hand, I buy a lot more LEGO than the average person. I feel that Walmart is trying to trick people into thinking that these are discount or clearance prices. I don't intend to reward their bad behavior. (I'm not going to stop shopping at Walmart; I just won't buy LEGO above RRP.)
    gmonkey76pxchris
    I think as devoted hobbyists, we sometimes assume “normal” people don’t know what Lego “should” cost, or aren’t smart enough to get it at a decent price. But it is one of the most popular toys in the world and I think people know a good price on it when they see it. And conversely, they know a bad price. They might buy at RRP or even over it for various reasons, like to make a kid happy on their birthday, but we do that too, often because we just have to have it!
    560Heliport
  • OldTownBricksOldTownBricks VirginiaMember Posts: 63
    It is surprising because Wal-Mart prices were typically at 0.97, which allowed them to claim they had the lowest prices even though most other retailers were at .99. I wonder if they'll do price matches for 0.01.
    None of my local Walmarts will price match.  They haven't for several years.
    Astrobricks
    ^ Same here.
      Walmart was a xx.97 to be a penny lower than Targets xx.98.  Not sure if Target has changed their prices also.  I would guess this has been a strategy in the works for a few years by Walmart.  They started lowering prices or "roll backs" to end in xx.00 on some products a few years ago.  To me, it was confusing because that's what their 'clearance' prices always ended in.  But isn't that the WM way...marking stuff as 'clearance' when it's the suggested RRP.
    Ugh...posts back to back....awkward.  Is everyone else's Walmarts LEGO shelves still only 1/4 to 1/2 full??   There's only a few new Creative, Minecraft and Star Wars sets on shelves...6-8 total...the rest if leftover that didn't sell from X-Mas.
    There was nothing much in my local Walmart either when I went yesterday.  No signs of any of the new Vidiyo theme.  Only a couple of old Harry Potter sets, some City, Star Wars, Marvel, Ninjago, Princess books, a couple of Friends sets and some Classics as well as a few Creator sets.  Basically pretty much just older stuff they haven't lowered the prices on yet.  They had a display for the Friends Jungle sets but as far as I've seen they've never actually had any of the sets in stock in the store so I found that prettuy odd.  They also had another display case but I don't remember if it was City or Marvel.  My local Target is stocked a bit better but still has bare spots.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,207
    Just browsed Wal-Mart and nothing special.  I grabbed an interesting purple Dots poly but that’s it.