Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General VIDIYO Discussion

Comments

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,412
    Not that I think it's cheap, but the money to pay for moderating the platform needs to come from somewhere if you are not planning on monetizing your users through selling their data.... Or have some actual moderating happening, instead of hoping your AI will take care of things after they have blown up in your face.

(Also a bit surprised that people only learn about the price now - we have known for months that the RRP is EUR 20?)
    iwybsMinifigInSpacemic27
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,422
    See I realise that most of the price is probably linked to the moderation but it doesn’t add much to the actual product value. I had hoped that there was going to be some actual sets (like stages or something) that would have made the €20 price a better mark against other LEGO themes.

Honestly I normally defend LEGO’s RRP and use of tech but this line I really can’t defend. I’ll absolutely accept that I might be wrong and it might be the next big thing but I think safer money is on parents thinking it’s a rip off and refusing to buy them for the kids that do want them:
    560HeliportiwybsFizyxAyliffeMinifigInSpacemsanderscatwranglerIan_S
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,676
    You will probably be able to use the app anyway, so long as you have pictures of the tiles. You could do that with the Nexo Knights app. If so, then kids will be able to play with the app without buying into the expensive system.

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,412
    Shib said:
    See I realise that most of the price is probably linked to the moderation but it doesn’t add much to the actual product value. I had hoped that there was going to be some actual sets (like stages or something) that would have made the €20 price a better mark against other LEGO themes.

Honestly I normally defend LEGO’s RRP and use of tech but this line I really can’t defend. I’ll absolutely accept that I might be wrong and it might be the next big thing but I think safer money is on parents thinking it’s a rip off and refusing to buy them for the kids that do want them:
    I don't disagree that people might not feel it's worth it. Just wanted to call out where that money is probably going, and that it's not simply TLG having an insane profit margin on this theme. The music license might also be on the expensive side.

Regarding larger sets: there's a 2nd wave coming in June; most with (much) larger part counts. (996 pieces for the largest one.)
    The_RancoriwybsKungFuKennyMinifigInSpace
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,912
    I look forward to seeing the cool spaceships people make with the container parts for canopies.
    KungFuKennyMynattgmonkey76MinifigInSpacecatwranglerdaewoosnowhitie
    I keep looking at the large clear Pod pieces and thinking about if they might fit on some of the Mario rounded base pieces as a way of making scenes contained in a jar - snow globe like things....
    MinifigInSpace
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,876
    I signed up for the special welcome pack - they’re getting the limited release stuff in early!
    MinifigInSpace
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 785
    I like the Shark head guy. I’ll be picking them up when stores are blowing them out 6 months from now.
    Fizyxdatsunrobbie
  • FabulandloverFabulandlover SomewhereMember Posts: 12
    Some figures remind me of Fabuland figures.Especially the fox and the bunny one.
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 780
    Love the minifigures. 
    Zero interest in the app features. 
    Hate the pricing. 
    gmonkey76MinifigInSpace
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,686
    karrit said:
    I had a hard enough time justifying the $9.99 price of the Friends Cubes.  Double the  price for these Beat Boxes seems ridiculous just for a wacky looking Minifig & a bunch of printed tiles.
    And those Friends cubes already seem ridiculously poor value for money. I bought a couple of specific ones for my girls (teddy bear, turtle), but I saw some yesterday for half price and still couldn't quite bring myself to buy them. And I will buy pretty much any Lego set with  30%+ discount.
    MinifigInSpacemsanders
    • 2 backstage pass lanyards
    • Welcome letter
    I actually had to do a double take - I wonder what’s written inside the welcome letter? “Good luck trying to catch ‘em all”? Maybe it’ll have some nice artwork on it to frame it ;)

Hopefully I can add a VIP lanyard to my ever growing Lego-related lanyard collection - and insert the Black VIP card for the full VIP treatment.
    andheBrainsluggedMinifigInSpaceDjblythe05
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 795
    edited February 16
    Hopefully minifigs aren't gonna come boxed moving forward and it's just LEGO testing the waters. This lineup's pretty neat.
    MinifigInSpace
  • MalkanMalkan COMember Posts: 49
    The bandmates look neat and I wouldn't mind getting the set, but those blind boxes sure do sour the deal.  I look forward to scouring walmart and target for the boomboxes when they go on clearance this summer.
    MinifigInSpacedaewoo
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,434
    Got to assume that sometimes Lego prices this stuff with full intention for retailers to eventually discount it.

Sell as much as you can full price to the 'got to have it as soon as its released' crowd for their YouTube reviews. Then sell it at discount to the rest of us normal folk. 
    560HeliportMinifigInSpacemsanderscatwrangler
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,088
    If @MinifiguresPlus sells sealed boxes of these, this might be a good thing to go in on with a friend or two.
    panchox1gmonkey76MinifigInSpaceFizyxdaewoo
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 651
    finally got my email to sign up for the Vidiyo welcome kit only to be told that it is no longer offered. great, thanks lego! lol.
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 121
    I keep getting a strong Masked Singer vibe when looking at the characters and even more so when I see the names for them.  Makes me wonder if that is where this theme gets its inspiration from.  
    msanderscatwrangler
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 126
    The idea is cool, but I feel that Vidiyo is taking the tech integration too far. There's hardly any building with these sets. They obviously had a back-up plan by including minifigures and special parts that AFOL's would be interested in collecting if kids didn't like it (I've already fallen into that trap LOL).

The price is obviously the biggest drawback to the theme, but I'll wait a bit for hopes of decent sales. I'm only after the DJ Alien and the orange blind bag Alien. That anchor guitar is AMAZING and on my list too. But... IF they go cheap, I may consider grabing the Robo-Force inspired robot and the western dude.

I have heard rumors that some bigger Vidiyo sets are coming this summer with a rather fair part-to-price ratio. I hope we get some good stuff with those and not millions of 1x1 round plates.
    They obviously had a back-up plan by including minifigures and special parts that AFOL's would be interested in collecting if kids didn't like it (I've already fallen into that trap LOL).

I don't think that is the case. If kids don't like them, the line is doomed. While some AFOLs might like the figures and tiles, I cannot see many adults buying them at full price.
    AyliffeFizyxiwybsMinifigInSpace
  • MinifiguresPlusMinifiguresPlus Member Posts: 195
    If @MinifiguresPlus sells sealed boxes of these, this might be a good thing to go in on with a friend or two.
    It looks like we will not be able to get them yet. There will be a possibility of getting the second series though. We appreciate you thinking of us and would love to be able to provide them! 
    CaptainRogersFizyxRussell844MinifigInSpacegmonkey76oldtodd33daewookhopewosin
    edited February 17
    Does anyone know how many of the 130 collectible 2x2 tiles/Beatbits ‘for the first year’ are actually obtainable from the first wave?

I assume 24 of them are already covered as tiles specific to certain characters in first wave Beatboxes (2x6) and Bandmates (12x1). But does that leave 106 being completely random in the first wave, or are some being saved until a summer wave etc? I would assume the latter but maybe that means we have to use guesswork to know exactly how many we can get as of 1st March, out of 130.
    MinifigInSpace
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,005
    I keep getting a strong Masked Singer vibe when looking at the characters and even more so when I see the names for them.  Makes me wonder if that is where this theme gets its inspiration from.  
    I might have missed some previous comments, but this is exactly what I thought when I first saw the released images! Fox (won the USA Masked singer), there was an ice cream, a Leopard (that was the singer Seal!), and many other characters that have appeared in the Masked singer. Given that that is also a music show, I would say that it is definitely the inspiration for the theme!
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,005
    My impressions are that it is incredibly expensive for what it is! I`m not sure what audience this is aimed at. Kids have to have a phone device/some other type of device for this to work, but how many kids will have one that will also still be playing with Lego. My son, who is 8, is a perfect age for Lego, but absolutely no-way is he anywhere near having a phone. 
    Let`s see.....

The theme in general looks a lot of fun and I like the whacky look, but the functionality is lost on me...
    MinifigInSpacecatwranglerKungFuKenny
    Has anyone received the elusive VIDIYO ‘welcome pack’ that could be applied to last week yet? Probably early days and TLG did admit that they couldn’t easily promise a timeframe on delivery, but their rough guess was 5-10 business days so we’re in that bracket now. Perhaps it is intended to be delivered close to/around the start of March to hype up the theme on release for those that applied.

I see plenty of Americans finding boxes of VIDIYO early on their shelves, despite UK retailers seemingly being unable to get them for release at all, particularly the Bandmates. At least minifigure-wise, the Bandmates seem to be of equal rarity. Someone’s going to need to create a chart or cheat sheet for all the available Beatbits though.
    MinifigInSpace

Just had this so guess it’ll still be a while
    The_RancorDjblythe05FizyxMinifigInSpace
    That's a shame. I was looking forward to wearing the shoelace charms this weekend.

NicksBricksThe_RancorBumblepantsBrainsluggedmic27snowhitie
    I’m equally dying to know what “FREE access code for VIP virtual pass” means. Do you get access to extra songs other people can’t use in their videos? It sounds suspiciously like a ‘season pass’ or ‘battle pass’ from the wider gaming arena. 
    MinifigInSpace
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 785
    Bought the llama and a couple of blind boxes because Walmart put them out early. I can understand the price for each cube. Still, I’d like to get these on sale. The mini figures are nice. I’m considering setting up a local Facebook group to trade minifigs and Mario creatures to deal with all the inevitable duplicates.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,629
    Don’t know about the rest of the world, but the Beat Boxes are only £11.99 on Amazon.
    Same at Smyths - guessing they both thought rrp was too high
    edited March 1
    They must’ve immediately turned into loss leaders for the retailers, that’s quite the price reduction on day 1 from RRP. Pretty ridiculous when they get launched on Lego’s own site the same day still at RRP. I wonder how many people will buy them at RRP (in theory I didn’t because I used VIP vouchers which got much closer to the Amazon price, somewhat fortunately - and I needed to redeem my Pirate VIP coin).
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,958
    Picked up the mermaid via Amazon. Even I'll admit that they are vastly overpriced at RRP now.
    Mr_Cross
    I doubt they are loss leaders. Is there a massive rush to purchase them, driving new customers to the stores? They are probably paying well under the £12 they are charging for them. Everyone knows the prices LEGO set for these are ********, including the retailers.

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,912
    It could be an initiative to get them in a lot of hands early. The success of the app will likely ride on a lot of early adopters creating content for the app to drive popularity.
    The_Rancor560HeliportFizyxmic27catwrangler
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,387
    Amazon US is still at full retail price of $19.99.

I'm interested in the pirate beatbox, but I absolutely cannot justify spending 20 bucks for it.
    BumblepantsFizyxgmonkey76MinifigInSpacemic27KungFuKenny
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,119
    pxchris said:
    Amazon US is still at full retail price of $19.99.

I'm interested in the pirate beatbox, but I absolutely cannot justify spending 20 bucks for it.

I would probably spend... $15, and I would likely have to talk myself into it, but would end up doing it in the end.  But ~$20 is just way too much.
    pxchrisMinifigInSpace
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,387
    Even $15 feels high. $10 feels about right but I would probably pay $12 and complain about it. This all comes from the fact that I literally care only about the minifigure and guitar accessory. Maybe a couple of the printed tiles could be useful, but otherwise everything else is just fluff to me.
    gmonkey76FizyxBumblepantsdaewooMinifigInSpacemic27
    At least it's limit 12 for the minifigs at my local store. I wanted to buy a case for doubles. I guess they expect them to sell like hotcakes, even though I was the only one checking those out. The employees even had buttons "ask me about Vidiyo" lmao
    At least it's limit 12 for the minifigs at my local store. I wanted to buy a case for doubles. I guess they expect them to sell like hotcakes, even though I was the only one checking those out. The employees even had buttons "ask me about Vidiyo" lmao
    Ah the retail experience, how we miss thee...
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,473
    I picked a Bandmate and got the Banshee singer. I'll probably get one of the Beat Boxes eventually just to see what else I can do with the parts, so I don't mind paying $20 one time. (I was at the store for #80020 White Dragon Horse Jet; I grabbed #41931 Extra Dots series 4 also.)
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,678
    Was able to pick up a case of 24 at Target. Will see if the distribution is like others in a bit.
    MinifigInSpace
    gmonkey76 said:
    Was able to pick up a case of 24 at Target. Will see if the distribution is like others in a bit.
     What's the dpci? The twelve I got was a complete set thankfully.
    Nvm earlier this morning they weren't showing up on Target. For anyone wondering the bandmates dpci is 204-00-9744. 
    gmonkey76
    I can confirm one side of my box was a complete set. I can also confirm that the tiles are random as I got doubles of them. Unfortunately they were not in the same order I've seen on line. Don't know if I want to open the second set to see if they are in the same spot or return/sell them.
    mic27
  • jedivalkyriejedivalkyrie Member Posts: 238
    Is one of the tiles not specific to the Bandmate character, and the other two random?  That's what it looks like in the Brickset pictures.
    ^I'll have to check that later, but you're probably right on that. 1 special to fig the other 2 random.
    Pumpkin_3CK5
    In the Bandmates, I can doubly confirm 1 tile is specific to each of the 12 characters (such as the ghost tile for the Banshee Woman) whilst the other 2 are random.

I was able to get a full set of 12 Bandmates already and I don’t know whether I was very lucky but all of the 2 remaining ‘random’ tiles with each were totally different, so I’m off to a good start with 36 different tiles just from the Bandmates.

I saw someone suggest that a promo poster is out there saying there are 90 different tiles in this first wave. Seems somewhat plausible to leave the remaining 40 for the ‘first year’ in a Summer release as we know for certain there are 130 over that time period.
    gmonkey76Yellowcastle2MinifigInSpace
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 553
    I got a full set of Bandmates and there was only one duplicate tile.  Once the cubes go on good discount, I'll pick them up.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76