Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Chrome Gold C3P0 - 4521221

todlertodler UK - South WestMember Posts: 77
Word of warning if you have a bagged Chrome Gold C-3PO. Have mine displayed in a cabinet (out of direct sunlight) and went to move it today and the bottom of the bag disintegrated. At least I have a nice shiny C-3PO to display and look at now rather than a white bag.
May be worth getting yours checked and possible protected if you want it to be preserved in the bag
560Heliportcody6268FizyxKungFuKenny

Comments

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    edited February 23
    Oof! That’s a shame, poor quality or biodegradable plastic bags are never good. 
    Any sort of light and air will perish them very quickly. 

I had had the same problem with vinyl. 
    Some records come in a thick, plastic sleeve with no paper (picture discs normally) and a chemical in the plastic ruins the records over time if left inside. 
    As soon as I found out every vinyl I had in plastic was moved to paper. 
    catwrangler
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,951
    Store gold 3POs in a dark vacuum only ;-)
    madforLEGOJackad7gratefulnatAllBrickprevere
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,580
    AllBrick said:
    Some records come in a thick, plastic sleeve with no paper (picture discs normally) and a chemical in the plastic ruins the records over time if left inside. 
    I had no idea! That will explain the state of my "Into The Groove" and "Dress You Up" picture discs last time I visited my parents (pre covid). The A-Ha one isn't looking too great either. And I know you're all jealous of my Samantha Fox picture disc!

TkattGothamConstructionCoNateMN2020KungFuKennymessygratefulnatAllBrickcatwrangler
  • NateMN2020NateMN2020 MinnesotaMember Posts: 38
    AllBrick said:
    I had no idea! That will explain the state of my "Into The Groove" and "Dress You Up" picture discs last time I visited my parents (pre covid). The A-Ha one isn't looking too great either. And I know you're all jealous of my Samantha Fox picture disc!

Those are pretty cool! I’ve never seen such things before, are they magnets?
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 448

This is pretty niche, that you turned a discussion about a plastic deterioration into an appreciation of Samantha Fox! 
    KungFuKenny560HeliportbricktuaryAllBrickBrainsluggedcatwranglermadforLEGOJackad7
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,055
    AllBrick said:

Bikini girls with machine guns? Jeez... that's a blast from the past. Didn't expect to see that on a LEGO forum!
    AstrobricksBrainslugged
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 504
    Those are actually audio records - vinyl.  I used to have a few back in the day.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,951
    daewoo said:
    Those are actually audio records - vinyl.  I used to have a few back in the day.
    Need banana for scale :)
    daewooKungFuKenny
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,715
    ... I don't recall VW Beetles being 'fast' with their lawnmower engines.
    gmonkey76AllBrick
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,279
    ... Have you seen Threepio walk? Beetles seem fast to him.
    gmonkey76AllBrickKungFuKennygratefulnat
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,624
    I’m not sure C-3P0 will like what a fortune teller has to say - “I see great chances of survival in your future” - “But what are the stats, I only work in probabilities!”
    560HeliportAllBrick
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    SumoLego said:
    ... I don't recall VW Beetles being 'fast' with their lawnmower engines.
    Porsche flat 6 conversion, can’t you tell? 
    R2 did it for him, mates rates. 

The_Rancor said:
    I’m not sure C-3P0 will like what a fortune teller has to say - “I see great chances of survival in your future” - “But what are the stats, I only work in probabilities!”
    She had trouble predicting his future. 
    Turns out that all she read was his arm. 
    (Red arm / read arm.......... I’ll get my coat). 
    560HeliportKungFuKennygratefulnatMarshallmarioSumoLego
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 528
    edited February 25
    I don't know any of the chemistry at play here. But there seems to be an issue with modern furniture paints, stains and other finishes reacting with certain types of plastics or rubbers. I've never seen this occur in my parents home with their furniture or house. Their house was built in the early 80s with the majority of the wooden furniture dating from the same time. There are a few pieces that are later, but a majority is 30+ years old.
    My house on the other hand has newer furniture, much of it only 10 years old. I've had a couple of problems where plastics and rubber items have reacted with the finish. In one case badly marring the top of a storage bench such that the entire top needed to be refinished. I'll see if I can find some photos posted this later.
    Typically polybags are made of polypropylene. Polypropylene is a fairly stable plastic and doesn't necessarily react with a lot. That's not to say that it can't.  I don't recall what kind of bag this C-3PO came in. It was something other than polypropylene, like PVC that's a big problem.  There should have been a recycle symbol with a number on the bag to say what type it.
    Polyvinyl chloride (PVC), also just known as vinyl, is a highly reactive plastic and is susceptible to all kinds of interactions. Soft, flexible vinyl has plasticizers added to it to help lubricate the PVC chains as they slide along one another. That new vinyl or "new car" smell are the plasticizers evaporating out of the PVC. The plasticizers themselves are all kinds of nasty. Hard, stiff vinyl such as LP records and pipes, can absorb and leach plasticizers or other components out of other plastics when they're in contact. If you have anything that is important don't store it in or near PVC.

KungFuKennyAllBrickJackad7FizyxGothamConstructionCocatwrangler