Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collapsing Colosseum!

Hi my first post here so apologies for any unforeseen poor form etc. I’ve had a disaster with the Colosseum. I completed the ‘low side Ok, but when I was putting the first half of the ‘high side’ in place bits started to fall off starting a chain reaction that has resulted in a complete mess ... partly my fault, but it is so fragile as a build, anyway, I\m left with an overwhelming pile of ruins, but worse, no optimism that it won’t happen again. Any advice?

Comments

• lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 155
    Gorilla Glue™  Lots!

...Welcome, btw😁
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,119
    edited February 15
    lowlead said:
    Gorilla Glue™  Lots!

I hear their spray glue is, quote, "Considered permanent."
    Switchfoot55SirBrickalotOfLegogmonkey76
  • peter_galepeter_gale UKMember Posts: 2
    Do people actually use glue? Sorry, wasn’t sure if you were joking or not. Seems a shame that their biggest set isn’t a little more robust!
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,119
    Definitely joking.  I have no problem gluing sets, as long as you are sure that you are both going to keep it forever, and will never take it apart.  (Both things that I, myself, would never commit to even for my absolute favorite sets.) 

I think @gratefulnat is right that it's likely that not a lot of people here have built the set yet.  It's huge, expensive, and just came out in November, and seems to have a much more niche appeal than a lot of the other comparably large sets. (This is not judgement!  I love the set personally, just explaining why probably not many people have built it yet. :) )  So you're probably at the forefront of finding some of these construction issues.  I think gratefulnat provided a great basic guide for connecting large sections together, and that may be the best you're going to find out in the wild for the time being for the reasons mentioned above. :(
    gratefulnatCymbeline
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,060
    I have the set on my wishlist, but we'll see when/whether I actually get it.

Oh and if gluing Lego, use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) for ABS, and a needle syringe. That's the stuff that the professionals (Legoland and LCPs) use. Two words of caution though. Firstly, use it out in the open or somewhere with very good ventilation (it's a carciogen. The workshops of the pros usually have proper moveable extraction fans which can be positioned directly above the workspace). Secondly, only use the stuff if you really don't want to take the parts apart again - glued properly, the bond will be stronger than the plastic itself and you simply won't be able to.
    Fizyx
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 527
    I have the set on my wishlist, but we'll see when/whether I actually get it.

Oh and if gluing Lego, use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) for ABS, and a needle syringe. That's the stuff that the professionals (Legoland and LCPs) use. Two words of caution though. Firstly, use it out in the open or somewhere with very good ventilation (it's a carciogen. The workshops of the pros usually have proper moveable extraction fans which can be positioned directly above the workspace). Secondly, only use the stuff if you really don't want to take the parts apart again - glued properly, the bond will be stronger than the plastic itself and you simply won't be able to.
    Yes, it's 100% permanent as it's a welding adhesive for plastic, meaning it disolves the parts and fuses the plasic together (just like a metal weld). This also means it deliberately damages the parts, so only tiny amounts in non-visable areas. If the bond does break, it's also destructive just like a metal weld snapping.

Adam Savage uses it profusely when working with pure styrene. I'm not sure about ABS, but at least with pure styrene you have a few seconds of grace period before full fusion occurs, though to ensure a good weld it should be held still during fusion.

This is all hypothetical of course. Please don't weld your Lego unless you are intending to make a professional/high durability display. As mentioned it is destructive to the parts and should only be used with experience. Any other high strength standard chemical adhesive (such as cyanoacrilate) should be fine for home gluing. 
    iwybsFizyx