Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO's 90th Anniversary Theme: Hopes and Speculations

Comments

• MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,401
    mr_benn said:
    (whispers) I find Classic Space a bit boring.  Give me the Futuron/Blacktron era any day....

I'm sure that all of the themes have their own advocates within TLG, so hopefully whatever gets chosen will do it justice, but also hold appeal for those who may not be necessarily so fond of that particular theme.  

What I really don't want to see is lots of people who end up voting for one particular theme due to nostalgia, but then don't follow it up with their interest in the product - or worse still, whine about what they've got....

Also, WHERE ON EARTH IS FABULAND?
    Futuron is Classic Space. A bit tarted up, but Classic Space nonetheless. I agree with all your other points, except possibly Fabuland (ducks and runs).
    catwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,401
    MaffyD said:

Bits fall off #70816 - I am the unhappy when this occurs.
    Ok but let's be real, what classic space set didn't have bits that fell off?
    Might be the way you play with it? ;-)
    Actually, yeah. you're right - which is why they need to have a Proper Go. We all know it makes sense :-)
  • BrickBeltBrickBelt United StatesMember Posts: 30
    So I collated a small statistical segment of the votes from the Ideas entries page. I took the sample from the evening of 19/01/21 but at that point most of the entries were still from the 18th likely due to the submitting system. The sample is 250 accepted voting Ideas members which only represents just over 0.5% of the total votes at that time so you can decide how much you think it represents the entirety of the vote, but there are some definite trends all the same:
    1. Bionicle - 136 votes (over half of the entire sample! However it was noticeable that at least around 2/3 of Bionicle votes were single votes for Bionicle only, and also often using Russian language accounts. Make of that what you will)
    2. Trains - 42 votes (surprised they are comparatively so popular)
    3. Adventurers - 35 votes (some hope that the interest is there!)
    4. Pirates - 34 votes (fighting it out with Adventurers)
    5. Forestmen - 28 votes (most popular Castle)
    6. Classic Space - 27 votes (slightly lower than I expected?)
    7. Lion Knights - 26 votes (oddly more than Black Knights/Dragons)
    8. Rock Raiders - 26 votes (hanging in there!)
    9. Space Police - 24 votes (best Space subtheme)
    10. Town - 24 votes (somewhat astounding)
    11. Dragon Knights - 20 votes
    12. M-Tron - 19 votes
    13. Model Team - 18 votes
    14. Black Knights - 17 votes
    15. Classic Castle - 17 votes
    16. Aquazone - 16 votes
    17. Imperials - 16 votes
    18. Studios - 14 votes
    19. Time Cruisers - 11 votes
    20. Alpha Team - 10 votes
    21. Blacktron - 10 votes
    22. Black Falcons - 10 votes
    23. Ice Planet 2002 - 9 votes
    24. Arctic - 8 votes
    25. Paradisa - 7 votes
    26. Divers - 6 votes
    27. Exploriens - 5 votes
    28. Spyrius - 5 votes
    29. Wolfpack - 5 votes
    30. Xtreme Team - 4 votes
    The Bionicle vote in this sample is so overwhelming that even if all the Castle choices were combined into just ‘Castle’ there still wouldn’t be more votes. Are Bionicle fans even more voracious than Classic Space even though they did actually get a temporary full theme revival not too long ago?

It will be interesting to see whether this reflects in the overall result after the 25th Jan. If I have more time I might return once or twice to see if the trends are the same with another 250 votes.

Adventurers needs more votes people!
    Good work. 

I think those with nostalgia for Bionicle are the perfect age group for Lego Ideas and Lego fansites. I mean the theme ran from 2001 to 2010. If you use the target age group of like 8-16 then the oldest fans in 2001 would be 35 now and the youngest fans in 2010 would be 18 now. Plus I'm sure it picked up some fans from the reboot. 

So let's say you've got a general age group of 18-35 for Bionicle. Pretty much every other theme most fans would be 30 years or older.

Bionicle was one of my votes. Adventurers is probably my number one but it really depends on what the final set would look like (hard to predict for Bionicle and adventurers).
    MinifigInSpaceB1z
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,456
    edited January 2021
    I question whether TLG have buried a lot of their Bionicle moulds at this point but they were always making new ones so that never really stopped them. It was just an inherent cost of the theme. I liked Bionicle particularly 2001-2005 but not more than the themes I voted for.
    MinifigInSpace
    The issue with Bionicle is that I'd love something like a very intricate and technical technic build of the OG six or something, but if it was something similar to the reboot or if it was a system set I wouldn't be particularly interested. 
    The_RancorB1z
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,483
    Brickchap said:

I really hope Bionicle doesnt win. I really believe a System set should win. Bionicle isnt even proper Lego really, its a weird offspring of Technic.

I'm not into Bionicle, but completely disagree with this. If an incredibly important theme in LEGO's history can just be passed by as not proper LEGO, then why not pass by anything that sold less than Bionicle, or other themes like Adventurers that didn't know what they were, just a mishmash of places, real and imaginary.
    stluxBrickBeltMr_CrossAyliffecatwranglerB1z
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 510
    Where were VIKINGS? 
    FizyxMinifigInSpaceBrickchapbricktuarygmonkey76catwrangler
  • mafonmafon TushinoMember Posts: 75
    edited January 2021
    I voted Spyrius. And Forestmen.

Surprised to see Forestmen the most popular and wolfpack the least, while in my eyes they are pretty much the same.
    pxchrisMinifigInSpace
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,819
    Time to fire up my Russian bot accounts for some wolfpack voting... 

In all seriousness, if bionicle wins, so be it. I see fans do some amazing builds with the parts, I'm just not a fan of the original sets (blah blah mythos don't care). 
    BumblepantsKungFuKennyThe_Rancorgmonkey76
    edited January 2021
    I feel like there are some odd things to think about regarding the design of a potential set when the vote is finished:

- With Bionicle in the shortlist, would TLG be willing to invest in a huge amount of bespoke Technic moulds for only one set (even then hard to tell who it would feature)? Or would they make some kind of System tribute like a bust which resembles Tahu’s mask? I don’t know if it screams ‘big Lego 90th anniversary’ to the more casual audience which TLG are often trying to attract with Ideas and its IPs
    - If Trains is in the shortlist, would TLG do a non-playable Crocodile Loco style set (which they could do as 18+ anyway) or a minifigure scaled set (which they could kind of do under City anyway)?
    - If Pirates is in the shortlist, they’ve already done Barracuda Bay but Imperials has far less votes - assume could be some of of Port Royal-esque docks with a smaller vessel but I feel like the options are narrowed.

I feel like I could picture a good variety of Adventurers based sets if that was in the shortlist - in my mind there is most potential for a fancy 18+ temple full of traps and playability (which I would argue is important for a 90th anniversary set).
    BumblepantsKungFuKennyMinifigInSpaceBrickchapandhegmonkey76catwrangler
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 2,123
    mafon said:
    I voted Spyrius. And Forestmen.

Surprised to see Forestmen the most popular and wolfpack the least, while in my eyes they are pretty much the same.
    A fellow Spyrius vote here!

And Bionical has never been my thing at all... so it really doesn't hold interest for me. However, I too have seen what the MOCers do with Bionical stuff and it's spectacular. So if we do end up with something in that vein, I could be OK with that.

But really, something in the Pirates, Space, Castle, or Adventurers group of themes is what I think most of us 80s kids want!
    MinifigInSpaceKungFuKennyandhecatwrangler
  • AyliffeAyliffe in your wallsMember Posts: 322
    The Bionicle vote in this sample is so overwhelming that even if all the Castle choices were combined into just ‘Castle’ there still wouldn’t be more votes. Are Bionicle fans even more voracious than Classic Space even though they did actually get a temporary full theme revival not too long ago?
    Hard to speak for everyone of course, but it definitely feels like the general consensus from folks was that the '15 Bionicle reboot was decent but missing a certain pinch of something - the answer to what that something actually was very much differs depending on who you ask (some lay the blame on the story being less prevalent, others on the CCBS system) but its very much left a legacy of being close but no cigar.

As for me, I voted for Bonkles, Rock Raiders and M-Tron - I'm not overly too fussed who gets through honestly, as long as the end result is interestingly designed enough I'm game for (nearly) anything they could end up chucking our way.
    The_RancorMinifigInSpaceandhecatwrangler
    I feel like there are some odd things to think about regarding the design of a potential set when the vote is finished:

- With Bionicle in the shortlist, would TLG be willing to invest in a huge amount of bespoke Technic moulds for only one set (even then hard to tell who it would feature)? Or would they make some kind of System tribute like a bust which resembles Tahu’s mask? I don’t know if it screams ‘big Lego 90th anniversary’ to the more casual audience which TLG are often trying to attract with Ideas and its IPs

A system take on Bionicle would be interesting and something unlikely to happen otherwise. 
    MinifigInSpacecatwranglerB1z
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,357
    Did they give any hint as to how big the set could end up being? I've seen someone reference that it will be a GWP, but I didn't get that impression from the Ideas page. Maybe I just missed it.
    FizyxMinifigInSpaceandhecatwrangler
    edited January 2021
    GWP would be a little disappointing, but if it was well designed that would be fine like the recent Classic Car GWP from Ideas. Guess the key difference here is that there’s no fan design element involved in the 90th vote (unless that’s a hidden 3rd voting stage for the winning theme).
    FizyxMinifigInSpaceautolycusgmonkey76
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 134
    autolycus said:
    Did they give any hint as to how big the set could end up being? I've seen someone reference that it will be a GWP, but I didn't get that impression from the Ideas page. Maybe I just missed it.
    I can't imagine it being a GWP, especially since this will be geared towards the AFOL community. I'm speculating that it will be in the $200 USD range.
    iwybsautolycuscatwrangler
    CCC said:

A system take on Bionicle would be interesting and something unlikely to happen otherwise. 
    That would probably just end up missing Bionicle fans and System fans. My tinfoil hat theory: they have a giant mound of leftover Constraction parts in a warehouse and this is a plot to get rid of them.
    What can they make from 100,000 Rey Heads and 250,000 Baze Malbus Torsos?
    Bumblepants560HeliportMinifigInSpaceandhegmonkey76catwrangler
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,439
    CCC said:

That would probably just end up missing Bionicle fans and System fans. My tinfoil hat theory: they have a giant mound of leftover Constraction parts in a warehouse and this is a plot to get rid of them.
    What can they make from 100,000 Rey Heads and 250,000 Baze Malbus Torsos?
    Galidor 2.0!!!
    560HeliportThe_RancorMinifigInSpaceFizyxCymbelineNateMN2020gmonkey76catwrangler
    autolycus said:
    I can't imagine it being a GWP, especially since this will be geared towards the AFOL community. I'm speculating that it will be in the $200 USD range.
    A $200 range Black Falcons night would be most excellent! Or a $200 Imperial ship and/or port! I'm sure I'll be disappointed by the theme that's selected though, so I will keep my hopes low.
    MinifigInSpaceBrickchapgmonkey76
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 955
    I've just voted, and it's clear that the themes at the top of the list will do better. Tick, scroll, tick, scroll, tick oh that's three. Skim the rest, yup that'll do.

I suspect Trains will benefit a lot from that position. How 'lucky' it was up at the top eh?

(it was, wasn't it? I suddenly doubt my memory from about 5 minutes ago! Old age haha)

catwrangler
    An update on my vote sample leaderboard - I’ve now taken a look at 250 more votes as of 21/01/21 so combined that now means 500 votes analysed in total from 58642 total votes at that point - close to 0.9% of the total votes taken now, so still quite a small proportion but the trends are interesting as there’s been some shifting and levelling out in some areas:
    1. Bionicle - 260 votes (lower ‘Bionicle only’ vote ratio in the second sample though)
    2. Pirates - 85 votes (moves up into the top 3)
    3. Trains - 78 votes (still in the top 3 at this stage)
    4. Adventurers - 77 votes (fighting it out for its place currently)
    5. Classic Space - 73 votes (also tight for top 3)
    6. Forestmen - 47 votes (from this point down a top 3 result seems unlikely - the range from 2nd to 5th is only 12, whilst the jump from 5th to 6th is 26)
    7. Classic Castle - 46 votes
    8. Lion Knights - 44 votes
    9. Rock Raiders - 44 votes
    10. Imperials - 41 votes
    11. Space Police - 40 votes
    12. Model Team - 36 votes
    13. Town - 36 votes
    14. Black Knights - 35 votes
    15. Dragon Knights - 32 votes
    16. Aquazone - 27 votes
    17. Studios - 27 votes
    18. M-Tron - 25 votes
    19. Black Falcons - 24 votes
    20. Ice Planet - 23 votes
    21. Alpha Team - 19 votes
    22. Blacktron - 19 votes
    23. Time Cruisers - 19 votes
    24. Exploriens - 15 votes
    25. Divers - 14 votes
    26. Paradisa - 14 votes
    27. Wolfpack - 11 votes
    28. Arctic - 9 votes
    29. Xtreme Team - 7 votes
    30. Spyrius - 5 votes
    So the hypothesis at this point is that although Bionicle is still a dead cert for the top 3 shortlist, the remaining 2 spots could be taken by Pirates, Trains, Adventurers or Classic Space. I’ll take at least one more sample before the ‘transparent’ public voting ends and see if this is still about the same.

As I suspected Classic Space trumps any of its subthemes whilst in contrast specific themes from Castle seem to compete with the original ‘Classic’ status and cancel each other out. I also agree with @bricktuary that I suspect Trains is benefitting from a bias in the way it’s shown first as a voting option, at least on the blog entry.

I’ve looked at comments from a few other places about the vote and there are a lot of properly obsessive and very vocal Bionicle fans out there - like a cult. I could reel off many reasons why I think Adventurers deserve their spot but it’s not a ‘do or die’ situation. Even if TLG don’t want to do a Bionicle 90 year set I wonder whether the sheer number of votes is enough to make them consider a proper Constraction theme more closely?
    MinifigInSpaceRedbullgivesuwindKungFuKennycatwrangler
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 92
    icey117 said:
    Where were VIKINGS? 
    My theory is that a couple themes including this one have been deliberately excluded as they have plans for a similar line in the future.
    BrickchapMinifigInSpacecatwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,450
    edited January 2021
    StoneWars did their usual great work of collecting actual data, and managed to scrape the votes from all 55,159 users who had cast their vote by January 20th. (Article in German, with many more details, here.)

In line with the sample @The_Rancor looked at, Bionicle has the top spot.

The_RancorpxchrisKungFuKennyMinifigInSpaceiwybsRedbullgivesuwindNateMN2020andhecatwrangler
    edited January 2021
    stlux said:
    StoneWars did their usual great work of collecting actual data, and managed to scrape the votes from all 55,159 users who had cast their vote by January 20th. (Article in German, with many more details, here.)

In line with the sample, Bionicle has the top spot.
    Thanks for the reference, I don’t regularly check StoneWars as it’s a bit of a chore needing to translate articles all the time and news usually spreads to other sites. But they have clearly written some fantastic code to pull out that info in its entirety - I’d wager it took them considerably more time to make that happen in total than my small manual samples, perhaps fortunately!

Not much point in me doing any more samples now - I kind of liked the guessing nature of it as anything still stood a chance, but we’ll have to see if anything changes between now and the end of voting.

Pirates, Trains and Adventurers are clearly battling it out for the 3rd spot in the list, though I might have to abandon hope that Adventurers makes it now, which is very disappointing considering the other 2 themes have had plenty of attention in recent sets and reboots.

If the ‘final’ winning set is themed on either Classic Space or Pirates I’ll definitely be buying it. Bionicle and Trains I’m not so sure ahead of time but it would depend on the size and design.
    KungFuKennyMinifigInSpaceBrickchap
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,368
    edited January 2021
    stlux said:

Interestingly, adding up all the Castle sub-themes equals over 33,000 votes (almost twice as many as Bionicle).  If you add up Pirates plus Imperials you get over 15,000... obviously dividing up into sub-themes dilutes the vote, and I wonder if Lego will take that into account...

I'm most definitely not a Bionicle fan, so perhaps someone else can chime in... Did Bionicle have sub-themes as well?  Brickset lists some, but not sure how applicable that is...
    The_RancorMinifigInSpaceBrickchapNateMN2020andhe
    I'm glad someone was able to pull together the data! I am still going to keep up my private data samples, especially since this new information may spark new surges in votes.

Comparing what I've got to the chart, my analysis was decent: (from high to low) Pirates, Bionicle, Adventurers, Space Police, Classic Space, and trains. Obviously Adventurers and Space Police are really further down the list, so I must have hit a few streaks of votes.
    After much debating over my third option, I have finally cast my vote:

1. Classic Space
    2. Rock Raiders
    3. Adventurers (Jungle theme)

I feel that adventurers really captures the heart of LEGO exploration. If LEGO were to create a AFOL themed Adventures set, I think the Jungle would be the most detailed option. 
    KungFuKennyThe_RancorBrickchap
    stlux said:

Interestingly, adding up all the Castle sub-themes equals over 33,000 votes (almost twice as many as Bionicle).  If you add up Pirates plus Imperials you get over 15,000... obviously dividing up into sub-themes dilutes the vote, and I wonder if Lego will take that into account...

I'm most definitely not a Bionicle fan, so perhaps someone else can chime in... Did Bionicle have sub-themes as well?  Brickset lists some, but not sure how applicable that is...

Generally they would alternate waves of heroes and then villains. You could kind of split things up into subthemes, but generally speaking you had a shift with each year, with one combo of heroes and villains. 

I guess they'd be subthemes? Would be kind of weird to split them up though. It's sort of like Ninjago's various settings: One cohesive theme that changes setting each year or so.
    MinifigInSpaceAyliffe
    stlux said:

The problem here is that it could well be the same people voting for Classic Castle, Forestmen and Lion Knights, for example, so if they were one theme they would only get one vote from that person not three.

I like Castle themes, but I didn't vote for Classic Castle. It's one yellow castle and a few minifigure packs. And I don't like bright yellow castles.
    FizyxMinifigInSpaceautolycusKungFuKennyandhe
    edited January 2021
    CCC said:
    stlux said:

The problem here is that it could well be the same people voting for Classic Castle, Forestmen and Lion Knights, for example, so if they were one theme they would only get one vote from that person not three.

I like Castle themes, but I didn't vote for Classic Castle. It's one yellow castle and a few minifigure packs. And I don't like bright yellow castles.
    The poll was flawed from the start. It's a shame. At least Lego doesn't seem to be taking the approach of boxing itself into only the top vote-getter. But they could also really annoy people if they end up picking "castle" because the castle themes combined for the most, even if the castle themes would have demonstrated the best market potential.

I voted for Black Falcons, Forestmen, and Imperials, so if you lump the first two into the "castles" theme, I would have only voted 1x for those if they were combined. I would have voted 1x for "pirates" (noting a preferred sub theme of Imperials). I'm not sure what my 3rd vote would have been.

I suspect there weren't a TON of votes that were 3x all within the same broad theme (e.g. "castles"). Surely there were more than zero though. Even if everybody who voted for any of the castles themes voted 3x for castle themes, that's still 11,000 unique voters casting a vote for "castle".

I also suspect that if the themes were set up in this broader way, "Castle", "Space", and "Pirates", then the front-runners would be (in this order: Castle, Space, Bionicle, Pirates. I think the gap between Castle and Space would be larger than between Space and Pirates.

Edit: I looked at the theme list again. I would have probably voted Castle (Forestmen), Pirate (Imperial), Space (Monorail).
    MinifigInSpaceKungFuKenny
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 790
    I agree with the poll being flawed from the start.  It was definitely rigged to give Bionicle the largest pool of votes even if many of us didn't even cast one vote for Bionicle.  I chose two from the Castle genre & one from the Pirate Genre leaving out Adventurers which should have gotten my third vote.  If the winning set is Bionicle I definitely won't be buying it.

BrickchapKungFuKennyMinifigInSpace
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 1,022
    I say again Bionicle should NOT win. For the 90th Anniversary of Lego it should be something iconic and truly Lego. As for Bionicle, well much of its popularity is the same reasons as Star Wars, but that doesnt mean we have a SW set for the 90th anniversary of the Lego Group?

Adventurers seems like a no brainer. Its iconic, unique, clearly Lego (like if you showed a non-Lego fan a picture of Bionicle where no Lego logo was showing would they recognise it as Lego as quick as they would if it were a Lego Castle, Pirates, Adventurers or Space set?) Unlike many of the other themes, Adventurers wouldnt be limited to one specific thing like Trains for example (as much as I want more trains) or most castle related things (unless its Forestmen chances are a Castle related set would just be a big castle which while cool would be not as good as say a big pyramid or temple with 1930s vehicles, aircraft and cool characters.)

Someone previously suggested a mix of Adventurers themes in the one set, I think thats a good idea. Personally Dino Island was never of much interest to me but Desert, Orient Expedition and Jungle are all possibilities. As also stated by others, Adventurers (regardless of setting) could have lots of great play features perhaps harking back to original sets for traps, puzzles and that sort of thing.

As for Pirates, Id be happy with an Imperials set but sadly it doesnt seem to be as popular. Personally I dont really want pirates as we've already had a great set which I believe covers all that a Classic Pirates fan would want (apart from Islanders/Soldiers which are separate anyway).

If Imperials was made, I think it would have to be a new design for Imperial Trading Post. We need a merchant ship to be attacked by the pirates and steal all those Spanish doubloons. It could have a more fortress style for the 'town' section and then a dock with a crane or two for the merchant ship. To also include a reasonably sized naval ship would be awesome!

But Adventurers is something we havent really had any re-do of (Pharaohs Quest was just pointless) and as Ive said before, whereas Medieval is just knights and castles, pirates is ships and forts and all that, space is just Cold War era Jetsons space stuff, Adventurers was unique as it wasnt really done by any other toy company and connected to lots of likely source material be it Indiana Jones, Around the World in 80 Days as well as real explorers and cultures.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76pxchris
    edited January 2021
    Brickchap said:
    But Adventurers is something we havent really had any re-do of (Pharaohs Quest was just pointless)
    I of course agree with the first statement but Pharaoh’s Quest was pretty decent too - the Anubis guards are probably still my favourite minifigs of all time and they’re pretty desirable on Bricklink.
    KungFuKennyMinifigInSpaceBrickchapNateMN2020gmonkey76
    Everyone knows this is about selecting a new theme, but most people have also observed that subthemes have been split apart from many "bigger" themes like Space.

Yet LEGO clearly doesn't distinguish all the space subthemes as separate themes. The new Beta Bricklink is a good example of their reasoning, as all space sets are simply under "space" with no clear subtheme distinction.

Has LEGO just split up the themes for data analysis and will merge all space, Castle, Pirates, etc. all in the same category?
    Brickchap
    LEGO has officially confirmed the current trends in the weekly Ideas email.

The_Rancorandhe
  • RailsRails Brierley Hill, UKMember Posts: 153
    I am pleasantly surprised by how well Trains is doing.
    MinifigInSpacegmonkey76andhe
    “So make sure to head over to the Lego Ideas page to cast your vote for Adventurers”.

There, I fixed it ;) 
    MinifigInSpaceKungFuKennyBrickchapandhe
    Officially that’s 3/10 in the castle line. 2/10 in the pirates line. Surprisingly just the one space. If the top 3 stay the same, I do think Bionicle will get crushed by the other two. 

I will personally be disappointed if a castle sub theme doesn’t make it to the top 3, but I would love an Imperials set or other pirates as well. Not as sure about classic space.
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 1,044
    I voted for trains. I WHEELY  want a new train.(Even though I bought the Croc...)
    Brickchap560Heliportgmonkey76
    I really wish Adventurers would make it to the top 3. Id be happy if 'Pirates' also counted Imperials but the fools separated it so looks like I wont be getting my naval ship or fort after all :(

Classic Space never interested me, I appreciate it as a Lego fan (and it is a lot better then Bionicle) but I prefer more realistic space stuff.

As I said before, we never really had any Adventurers stuff again (if one wants to be picky you could argue we had pharaohs quest, but how about Orient Expedition?)

Whereas we had Benny's Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP, which I think sums up classic space pretty well along with Benny's space squad.

After all, whats the point of doing classic space if Lego refuses to make baseplates anymore. Classic space bases were based around either launchpad baseplates or those cool crater plates. Cant say Id be particularly keen on brick-built craters...

Pirates we've just had POBB, if we had an Imperial set (i.e Imperial Trading Post) or perhaps a mix of Pirates, Naval and Islanders that would be cool but I dont want just another pirate ship (as cool as they are).

Castle Im open to although it will be interesting to see how this Creator castle turns out. I suppose a big castle set would do although how does one pick what faction? Especially when classic castle (not the Lego idea of Classic Yellow Castle I just mean like pre 2000s castle) is remembered for all the different unique factions be it Forestmen, Wolf Pack, Fright Knights, Lion Knights etc.

What Id like to see (if castle/medieval is chosen) is a big castle with a village segment, sort of like Medieval Market Village meets King's Castle from the Kingdoms line. One could also naturally include the Blacksmith shop. Sadly, Lego would likely just focus on a castle so as much as I love castles I feel like it would be a tad anti-climatic for 90 years of Lego oh four grey walls and some towers. Great.

Adventurers on the other hand could have multiple locations, traps and play features, vehicles and isnt limited to specific minfigs as in yes, some people may be disappointed to get say the traditional Johnny Thunder, Prof. Kilroy, and Baron von Barron in their desert kit as opposed Orient Expedition prints but it wouldnt be as much as a 'let down' as if say the entire black falcon knights group were left out in favour of, say Dragon knights.
  • SolojifSolojif NDMember Posts: 4
    Whatever they chose I hope it has a nostalgic feel. Real chunky and brick like. 1982 retail prices would be a nice touch as well.
    MinifigInSpacegmonkey76
  • NateMN2020NateMN2020 MinnesotaMember Posts: 40
    Once it gets narrowed down to the top 3, Bionicle is going down. It is the one theme on the list I would NOT buy under any circumstance. And I am not alone. There are just as many AFOL’s that loathe the theme as there are that adore it. And I think it would be the most costly for Lego to have to create new molds.
    MinifigInSpace1265FizyxBrickchapbricktuarygmonkey76pxchrisKungFuKennyandhe
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,352
    edited January 2021
    Town was the original System of Play LEGO theme, and although I don't see it high on the list, I thought that they could do a hybrid mix for their 90th Anniversary set, such as a set based on the idea of the 1592 set... which was a mix of Town and Castle... only it wouldn't have to be yellow castle... 

Brickchapgmonkey76560HeliportMinifigInSpaceKungFuKennyandhecatwranglersklamb
    @Istokg Thats a great idea! Id love another Town Plan 2008 style set with old cars, old buildings and such but updated.
    gmonkey76MinifigInSpaceandhe
    Brickchap said:
    I say again Bionicle should NOT win. For the 90th Anniversary of Lego it should be something iconic and truly Lego. ...

Adventurers seems like a no brainer. Its iconic, unique, clearly Lego (like if you showed a non-Lego fan a picture of Bionicle where no Lego logo was showing would they recognise it as Lego as quick as they would if it were a Lego Castle, Pirates, Adventurers or Space set?) Unlike many of the other themes, Adventurers wouldnt be limited to one specific thing like Trains for example (as much as I want more trains) or most castle related things (unless its Forestmen chances are a Castle related set would just be a big castle which while cool would be not as good as say a big pyramid or temple with 1930s vehicles, aircraft and cool characters.)

Someone previously suggested a mix of Adventurers themes in the one set, I think thats a good idea. Personally Dino Island was never of much interest to me but Desert, Orient Expedition and Jungle are all possibilities. As also stated by others, Adventurers (regardless of setting) could have lots of great play features perhaps harking back to original sets for traps, puzzles and that sort of thing.
    :

But Adventurers is something we havent really had any re-do of (Pharaohs Quest was just pointless) and as Ive said before, whereas Medieval is just knights and castles, pirates is ships and forts and all that, space is just Cold War era Jetsons space stuff, Adventurers was unique as it wasnt really done by any other toy company and connected to lots of likely source material be it Indiana Jones, Around the World in 80 Days as well as real explorers and cultures.

Whether you like it or not, Bionicle is iconic and truly LEGO.

I think we all get it, you like Adventurers. To me, that represents LEGO no better than Space, Castle, Pirates, Classic sets, Brickheadz, Bionicle, or Star Wars. Actually, I think it represents LEGO less than any of those.

This is one set, so putting a mishmash of three ideas such as Desert, Orient and Jungle into one means each item will be relatively small. That might work for three different themes such as Castle, Space and Pirates as they will clearly be distinct, whereas for three similar builds the builder may wonder why they didn't just combine the three into one cohesive set. Also we have had orient and jungle themes recently. Jungle in City and Friends, Orient in Ninjago. Just swap out the minifigs and vehicles.

I cannot see why any fan of Adventurers would call Pharaohs Quest just pointless. It had many elements of the Desert subtheme of Adventurers done with more modern (at the time) techniques, and I imagine if LEGO re-imagined Adventurers now they would look very similar to PQ but further modernized.

Plus other companies have done similar playsets. For example, playmobil have a long history of doing historical and fantasy sets that can easily be combined together, and there was even a range called the Explorers in which jungle and dinos were combined together and have also featured explorer type settings...

I still don't think a single theme should have been used to represent or celebrate the anniversary. Barely anything lasts longer than ten years so whatever they pick will represent a small portion of both their history and fanbase and may well lead to more fans not wanting it than wanting it. Which is why having something celebrating their history not linked to any one theme may have been better for a one off set. A plain old school town set or even a Classic Box with retro styled parts is more appealing to me than most other themes. There are plenty of themes currently on the shelves that I am not interested in and I do not buy, and LEGO doing one more set from a theme I am not interested in with a 90th anniversary badge on it is not really any different, the only difference is that it will have the 90th anniversary badge on it. Whereas something that celebrated their history not linked to just one theme might have been more interesting.

stluxBrickBeltAyliffecatwranglerB1z
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,352
    ^^

Sort of like the 1990 70th Birthday set of Godtfred Kirk Christiansen... lots of people will want to own it... but no one will want to play with it... ;-)

560HeliportMinifigInSpaceCymbelinecatwrangler
    Istokg said:

I'd hope for a bit more than what is in the picture!

But yes, I think a set that no-one necessarily wants to go with their favourite theme but something that wouldn't be ever be done as a regular set in any theme. A true one off to celebrate an anniversary.

Some examples that come to mind:

-The wooden elephant (done like the duck)

-A basic style town set with a number of of 1x4 / 1x6 / 1x8 bricks with shop names (kiosk / hotel / taxi / baker / etc - probably best to leave out cigarettes)

-A set that contains a number of different printed 2x2 tiles with the various different LEGO logos through the years.

-A microscale build with a date tile for every decade (and maybe the relevant logo as above).

-Even a modern reissue of something like the old "700" sets to show kids what LEGO sets used to look like.

They are all just as meaningful as a (insert winning theme) set to people that are not interested in (insert winning theme), probably moreso as they are a one of a kind historical set rather than just another retail set with a special badge on. Something for everyone rather than something for maybe 10%.

Plus it doesn't divide LEGO fan communities.
    stluxKungFuKennycatwranglersklamb
    ... which brings us back to - why not have multiple sets to celebrate the anniversary for different themes. Still, if they think 90th isn’t quite significant enough to merit a mini range of one off sets, wait 10 years and they’ll have to do something significant for the 100th.

If TLG did a set each based on the top 6 themes in the latest email I doubt many people would have any reason to complain at all. It’s just that fan preferences are fragmented - which isn’t helped by partial or failed attempts at reviving some of the themes available to choose from.

It’s likely still exacerbated too by TLG’s recent focus on themes like Ninjago and away from their core themes like Space, Pirates and Castle (I’m sure with market research that to some degree backs up this decision). Particularly adult fans are desperate to get something from one of the themes that feels like it’s been neglected or forgotten in recent years. Bionicle isn’t in a good position in those terms compared to some of TLG’s (previously so called) ‘evergreen’ themes because it did have a full on revival theme-wise that just didn’t do very well.
    AyliffeMinifigInSpaceBrickchapcatwranglerMaffyD