Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego On TV programmes

123457»

Comments

• BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 626
    pxchris said:
    Saw this a couple weeks ago but forgot to post it. A second magic trick on the show Fool Us by magician Jandro featuring LEGO. I really enjoyed this one a lot and felt that the use of LEGO was especially well done for this trick and actually made the illusion even more "magic".

Any thoughts on how he did it? Looks like a little palming going on just as he's about to prise the 'card' off, but doesn't look like he could hold the entire card face. I feel like it's something inside the build (either in the main picture or the card) that lets him put the right face in place, and can then be hidden with the screwdriver.
  • AySeaAySea Member Posts: 65
    I watched his first trick again after watching this one and the 'random' card that Penn and Teller decided on then was also the Two of Diamonds. I suspect it would have had a different outcome if they'd selected a card at random from a deck of cards, but in both these tricks by Jandro they were free to select a number and suit of their choice. I wonder if there's been more tricks beforehand where they've chosen the Two of Diamonds in this way and that these tricks are purely based on the hope that they would do the same again.
    560Heliport
    AySea said:
    I watched his first trick again after watching this one and the 'random' card that Penn and Teller decided on then was also the Two of Diamonds. I suspect it would have had a different outcome if they'd selected a card at random from a deck of cards, but in both these tricks by Jandro they were free to select a number and suit of their choice. I wonder if there's been more tricks beforehand where they've chosen the Two of Diamonds in this way and that these tricks are purely based on the hope that they would do the same again.
    I saw in the comments that they'd picked the same card both times! It's possible, but I suspect world-class magicians are going to have more to their technique than hoping.

Come to think of it, I recall that the performers have to tell the programme how the trick is done, so that if Penn & Teller guess correctly the performer couldn't pretend otherwise. If the performer was to tell the crew that they just hope P&T will pick the right card, they'd get laughed out of the production office.
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 182
    i assume that Penn & Teller are in on the trick. when magicians pick random people from the audience, it is always a plant.
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 703
    blokey9 said:
    i assume that Penn & Teller are in on the trick. when magicians pick random people from the audience, it is always a plant.
    Given the premise of the show, I think that's unlikely. 
    pxchris
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 213
    blokey9 said:
    You’ve not seen enough magic if you think all audience selections are a plant. 
    panchox1
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,509
    I did watch a video that supposedly is trying to explain how the trick was done and in that video they are guessing that it was done via a mechanism in the build. I wasn't quite convinced by the specifics of the explanation, but I think the premise is still likely.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,813
    Obviously it is hidden minifigures inside that build it.

pxchrisFizyx560HeliportCymbelinegmonkey76
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,117
    pxchris said:
    I did watch a video that supposedly is trying to explain how the trick was done and in that video they are guessing that it was done via a mechanism in the build. I wasn't quite convinced by the specifics of the explanation, but I think the premise is still likely.
    This seems likely because he cuts down the card options from 52 to 20 by asking penn to show a number on one hand meaning it could only be 1-5 x 4 suits.

But looking at the lego I cant see how it is done. Very clever.

I watch a lot of these and can usually work it out.
    SMC said:

I watch a lot of these and can usually work it out.
    I usually can work out a few ideas as to what is happening as well. I did a bit of magic myself in my childhood training under a professional (nerrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddd) so I have a tiny bit of background into a lot of the methodology. But yeah... this one with the complications of using LEGO bricks makes it really fascinating. 
    KungFuKennyandhe
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,983
    Anyone in the UK that watched The Savoy at Christmas on itv would have got a full blast of Lego! Even the gold statue outside had had its head replaced by a Benny head :D

This was Christmas 2019 of course. But it had a ‘12 days of Lego’ theme. There was a huge Brickley sculpture shaped like a Christmas tree, a Rapunzel like tower and a life size Harley Fat Boy. They had really gone all out.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    edited December 2020
    I am extremely late to the Penn and Teller party here but do have a couple of thoughts about the illusion. I have certainly not worked out the vital features, that I know of, but some things did jump out...

Firstly, the performer throws something into the topit inside his jacket at 3:48 in the video. Fumbling around with the LEGO is almost definitely intended to disguise that motion so I imagine it is important.

With regard to Teller's image appearing on the canvass, that is achieved through removing the uppermost layer of white tiles as the other elements being thrown strike them. A similar trick is sometimes performed by throwing paint or ink at seemingly traditional canvasses.

Concerning the climactic unveiling, it occurs to me that the canvass is sufficiently thick to accommodate multiple layers. Jandro already knows which card was chosen and could probably control how many layers are removed when inserting the screwdriver. Only twenty possibilities are available, should one represent the Ace. Of course, that would not reveal the relevance of the aforementioned item placed in the topit.

pxchris
    edited December 2020
    I am extremely late to the Penn and Teller party here but do have a couple of thoughts about the illusion. I have certainly not worked out the vital features, that I know of, but some things did jump out...

Firstly, the performer throws something into the topit inside his jacket at 3:48 in the video. Fumbling around with the LEGO is almost definitely intended to disguise that motion so I imagine it is important.

With regard to Teller's image appearing on the canvass, that is achieved through removing the uppermost layer of white tiles as the other elements being thrown strike them. A similar trick is sometimes performed by throwing paint or ink at seemingly traditional canvasses.

Concerning the climactic unveiling, it occurs to me that the canvass is sufficiently thick to accommodate multiple layers. Jandro already knows which card was chosen and could probably control how many layers are removed when inserting the screwdriver. Only twenty possibilities are available, should one represent the Ace. Of course, that would not reveal the relevance of the aforementioned item placed in the topit.

Definitely right on the middle bit. It’s the main chard change that I can’t work out though (which is also why that guy is a pro magician)

It looks like he palms something when he gets the screwdriver and over the top of the card when he switches the screwdriver to the other hand at 6:13, but it doesn’t look like he attaches it and doesn’t look like he could be holding anything big enough to be the face of the card.

The thickness will probably be hiding what’s going on, but not sure all the cards are there as individual layers, I kinda think the card itself can be changed. The studs on the face of the card are facing out and the opposite direction to the studs that are in the recessed area

When he turns the canvas around just before, he could be activating some kind of mechanism that changes the card or part of the card (and maybe the screwdriver changes the rest of the card). He’s holding the back of the canvas right above the top of the card, but can’t see anything that gives it away. Then again, Penn and Teller can see both sides of the canvas between them, so that limits how much can be done there. Very tricky! (Pun not intended but acknowledged)

pxchris
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 271
    Did anyone catch the 'LegoLand' answer to a question on Jeopardy the other night?
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,342
    Episode of Judge Judy about seller vs buyer of "Lego's" or "Laygoes" as Judy pronounced it was on American TV this week. I had to Google it cos I am in the UK. 
    I do love Judy !!!
    pxchrisAstrobricks
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,977
    Been binging Superstore recently, S5 Ep1 and they built a model of a prison they're trying to break a colleague out of.

"some of this is from an old western set, so some of the doors in the detention block might not swing open as easily!"
    OldTownBricks
    NEWSFLASH to all UK Lego Masters fans - the channel E4 will air Will Arnett’s US Lego Masters ‘soon’. This suggests within the next couple of weeks!

I’ve been looking forward to this as I deliberately tried to avoid all the constant reporting when it was out to air in the US hoping there would be a legit way of watching in the UK, so I can’t remember key exits each week or the final winner.
    PJ76ukSMCpanchox1Gibbo1959
    ^ Sounds good, I kind of did the same thing. Can you give us an update if you find the date?
    The_Rancor
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,574
    LEGO MASTERS USA, Tuesday 13th April. 
    The series will be available on ALL4. if you want to binge watch it....
    The_Rancor
    Great news on the date. I doubt i’ll binge and just spread it out a bit. But glad it’s not too far away
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 317
    Kid in Roald Dahl -esiotrot movie on Netflix, playing with a ninjago jet
    On tonight's Jeopardy, the contest Amy was taking about her love for LEGO and all the sets she has.
    vanvonfullMarshallmario560HeliportModeltrainmanAanchir
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,977
    NEWSFLASH to all UK Lego Masters fans - the channel E4 will air Will Arnett’s US Lego Masters ‘soon’. This suggests within the next couple of weeks!

I’ve been looking forward to this as I deliberately tried to avoid all the constant reporting when it was out to air in the US hoping there would be a legit way of watching in the UK, so I can’t remember key exits each week or the final winner.
    Posted this in the season 2 US thread by mistake!

Sat down with Little Miss Speedy to watch the first episode. We almost made it to the first advert break before giving up. There was no substance to it at all, the Lambo driving in seemed pointless and rather than a cool prize like getting your MOC in the LEGO House, it's a rather vulgar chunk of money.
    We might go back and try again another day, but she just asked me when they were going to actually start building.

I just don't think it had the same charm as the UK version, it felt far too Americanised and cheap.
    sjr60
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 683
    it def got better as it progressed. but yeah the lambo was pretty pointless.
    I thought the actual building challenge of the theme park was fantastic in the first episode of Lego Masters USA (although some of the UK ones I can remember were just as good, if not better).

However, I didn’t like the superficial aspect of it. They made the effort to edit in a piece where Jamie was appreciating usage of colour locked parts but nothing to elaborate on it or explain how most of the builds or mechanisms were made. I feel the UK version delved a bit deeper into how the contestants actually chose to build certain things - but maybe that’s not as appealing for the wider audience?

I also missed the kids. Although a fully AFOL team won UK Lego Masters I liked the ideas and variety the kids and kid teams brought to it - and they often held their own against the adults!
    andhe
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,540
    Stay tuned for kid involvement :)
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 182
    Lego Masters Australia season 3 starts tonight. for those who hate destruction, there was a scene in the ad where Hamish plays ten-pin bowling with the sets.
    panchox1
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 271
    Jeopardy is currently running the Tournament of Champions and Semi-Finalist Kevin Walsh said since Covid messed up other plans he and his wife got into LEGOs last year and now they are all over their apartment ... you can tell who I will be rooting for!
    560HeliportCymbelineBumblepantsKungFuKennypxchris
    Somewhat oddly, Lego appeared prominently in an intro video for Iceland (but not Denmark) at the Eurovision Song Contest. Or as I like to call it, “watch some bonkers music and get reminded how much more Europe hate the UK year on year”. I’m not sure what’s more embarrassing/depressing - admitting that I watched it, or UK’s final score.
    andheBumblepantsbandit778KungFuKennyMaffyD
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,996
    Somewhat oddly, Lego appeared prominently in an intro video for Iceland (but not Denmark) at the Eurovision Song Contest. Or as I like to call it, “watch some bonkers music and get reminded how much more Europe hate the UK year on year”. I’m not sure what’s more embarrassing/depressing - admitting that I watched it, or UK’s final score.
    Iceland is everyone's favorite. Play JaJa Ding Dong again! 
    stluxKungFuKennysid3windr
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,086
    edited May 23
    Iceland is everyone's favorite. Play JaJa Ding Dong again! 
    I was thinking Lion of Love...
    Bumblepants
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167
    edited June 4
    Not exactly on TV, but apparently the Chicago White Sox closer has become an AFOL:
    Yellowcastle
    edited August 5
    UK Lego Masters fans (who want to legitimately watch programmes without VPN) rejoice! You can now see the first series of Australian Lego Masters on E4 on Sundays - first episode just aired last weekend. Yes that’s about 2 years since they first went out in Aus.

I have to say the Aussie format is a great halfway house between UK and USA - the challenges & twists of US but more calm and focused on builds like the UK. I’m hoping that the fact Channel 4 bothered to buy the format in the UK might be a sign they’ll consider a series 2 in the UK some time - as they just did one and it suddenly died without being recommissioned when it was blowing up elsewhere in the world (sometimes literally).
    SMCMaffyD
    ^ I watched the first episode of the Aussie one after watching the first series of the US version and I have to say I missed Will Arnett and thought if that's the standard of Australian presenters I might have to head over and give it a go myself. I found the whole thing lacking the production values of the US version even down to the contestants. I know a lot of UK folks will find the US version a bit OTT but for a casual viewer rather than an AFOL you can see that the US have this kind of formate nailed. Maybe its cos I work in TV and have that same mindset but for me I think the US is the best version, controversial I know.
    windjammer
    I agree that Hamish the presenter for Aus wasn’t particularly funny or engaging in the first episode (but he can grow into it maybe), and it was noticeable the Aussie version didn’t have the level of money spent on production as the US version. I definitely didn’t miss the ‘rollercoaster of emotions’ of the US version though - when the Aussies drop something or it falls down, they brush it off like it’s nothing compared to the Americans.
    Yeah I agree with the emotional rollercoaster stuff but they still seemed to be looking for a little misfortune, why make them roll the buildings back into place quickly if they weren't looking for trouble. Same as the US version it would have been easier to judge the buildings out in the open where you can easily see all 4 sides and then put them all together after judging.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,540
    I agree that Hamish the presenter for Aus wasn’t particularly funny or engaging in the first episode (but he can grow into it maybe), and it was noticeable the Aussie version didn’t have the level of money spent on production as the US version. I definitely didn’t miss the ‘rollercoaster of emotions’ of the US version though - when the Aussies drop something or it falls down, they brush it off like it’s nothing compared to the Americans.
    The first US season did play up some things too much, but dropping or collapsing builds wasn’t one of them. Imagine how you’d feel if it was your build that happened to!
    The_Rancor