Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Harry Potter Discussion

Comments

• HugeBlueBrickHugeBlueBrick At my PCMember Posts: 30
    I've found Diagon Alley difficult to move. The flimsy bases and walls with few interlocking parts are the main culprits - poor design perhaps? And some of the detail parts in Flourish & Blotts fall to pieces just looking at them .
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,550
    North American sets are made in Mexico. Not sure what the deal is with CMFs.
    SumoLegogarethjedwards
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,744
    I'm starting to wonder if there might be a clutch issue with some of the parts coming out of the Mexico plant. I'm UK-based and constantly moving Diagon Alley because at the moment three sections of it are on top of my printer. Nothing has ever come close to falling off. My wife even moved it the other day and didn't break it, and she isn't used to handling Lego.

I remember getting a tub of LBG bricks from the PAB wall when I lived in the US, and the clutch was absolutely abysmal. If you put them on a baseplate and turned it upside down, they would fall off. I also remember noticing that one of our little Friends cars had about a dozen slightly cracked pieces just from it being sat on a shelf.

I'm imminently going to ship a storage locker back from the US which is probably over 50% Lego. I'm a little worried that if the quality thing is a regional issue, I'm going to introduce a crapload of inferior parts to my (now sizeable) UK collection. I'm also not sure what effect 4 years in a storage locker might have had on the pieces. I hope nothing as the storage facility does have AC at least.
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 611
    As I live in Dallas, I can almost guarantee that the sets I've bought these past years have all been produced in the Mexico plant.  I have not experienced any issues with clutch what-so-ever.  
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 428
    I've had no clutch issues with my Diagon Alley set and I assume the elements are from the Mexico factory.
    edited October 2020
    If the box seals have an R on them, it’s from Mexico. 
    Remember, some sets from other factories have been shipped over to NA this year because of the Mexico factory Covid shutdown.
    Aanchir
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,101
    Please could someone measure the size of the box for Diagon Alley? Thanks! :)
    Please could someone measure the size of the box for Diagon Alley? Thanks! :)
    I make it 16.7 x 47.8 x 57.8 cm.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,101
    edited October 2020
    Thanks! Trying to work out if it'll fit in a suitcase...
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 547
    don't forget that if jumping on a plane you can check a cardboard box in as hold baggage. In some airlines the overall dimensions allowed are huge subject to the weight limit. I have brought boxed bbq's back from the USA and several cardboard boxes of Lego from Billund just taped together (BA for example allows a massive size of 90 x 75 x 43cm)
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 656
    LEGO revealed the Hogwarts classroom books. They look interesting, I'll probably buy them.
    wardmMCNwakeboardkhmellymel
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 788
    I might get duplicates of each one... one set of books for my bookcase and another set to add to my Hogwarts display...
    KungFuKenny
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,292
    Yeah I'm really keen on them!  I also collect various editions of the HP books, so I think they'll look great on the shelf altogether. 
    CymbelineKungFuKenny
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 424
    They're all very neat! I'll only be getting the herbology one, though, as that has the most stuff I want. Perfect birthday size on these sets, something that's kind of been missing from the 2018- range.
    KungFuKennyCymbeline
    edited November 2020
    I think these «book» sets could have further potential. If they do more classes they could do divination and defense against the dark arts (preferably with Lockhart and pixies), but they could also do something more interesting, like Tom Riddle's diary with the scene from the memory inside.
    Mr_Crosswardm
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 904
    Well, this is very unexpected, but the Monster Book of Monsters has shown up in the US... at Barnes and Noble of all places. $75 purchase of Harry Potter sets.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/free-lego-harry-potter-book-of-monsters
    560HeliportwardmWeepy_DonutsAstrobricksMCNwakeboard
  • Weepy_DonutsWeepy_Donuts Greenville, SCMember Posts: 19
    Thanks! I didn't really want to pay full price for 4 Privet Drive, but I suppose it was worth it to get the Monster Book of Monsters.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 315
    Appreciate the notice
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 422
    Already got Privet Drive for 20% off from Target so not about to pay RRP and try to find anything else to meet the minimum just to get MBOM and then have to return Privet Drive to Target.  I'll keep checking to see if the Astronomy Tower comes back in stock while the promo is still active.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,091
    autolycus said:
    Well, this is very unexpected, but the Monster Book of Monsters has shown up in the US... at Barnes and Noble of all places. $75 purchase of Harry Potter sets.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/free-lego-harry-potter-book-of-monsters
    As mentioned by @flightrisk in the shopping section, #30628 Monster Book of Monsters is available for sale now online at Barnes and Noble ... $24.95 seems fairly reasonable, so I grabbed one!
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 315
    I’m hoping for a wider release or at least through Lego.com at some point as it seemed to sell out very fast. 
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 422
    I somehow managed to miss it despite having actually searched on "Monster Book of Monsters" on the Barnes & Noble website earlier today that returned over 2000 items.
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 183
    I’m thinking about buying the 4 classroom sets and a duplicate of a hogwarts set and trying to combine it into a standalone wing with hallway between classes, 2 stories, and attach it to my other sets. 

Then I can frame up the 4 crests as a stand-alone wall display. We’ll see how it goes. 
    Cymbeline
    I’m thinking about buying the 4 classroom sets and a duplicate of a hogwarts set and trying to combine it into a standalone wing with hallway between classes, 2 stories, and attach it to my other sets. 

Then I can frame up the 4 crests as a stand-alone wall display. We’ll see how it goes. 
    Not really a Potter head, so excuse the silly question, but what section of Hogwarts Castle are the classrooms supposed to be in, and has Lego released that section as a set?
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 703

Not really a Potter head, so excuse the silly question, but what section of Hogwarts Castle are the classrooms supposed to be in, and has Lego released that section as a set?
    According to the books, they're all in different sections of the castle. The Potions class is in the dungeons, Herbology is outside in the greenhouses, and Transfiguration and Charms are just in the main castle body. (I think those are the four in the new sets?)

Other classes are elsewhere, like Care of Magical Creatures in the grounds and Divination at the top of the Astrology tower.
    Astrobricksvanvonfull
    @Astrobricks The dungeons with potions class and Snape's office is in the Whomping Willow set, while a greenhouse can be found in the astronomy tower. Charms and transfiguration haven't been «assigned» a space, so you'll just have to get creative with those :)
    Astrobricksvanvonfull
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 437
    edited December 2020
    Monster book of monsters is apparently in some stores for order pickup. Just submitted one, waiting on notification. 
    gmonkey76
    edited December 2020
    thenos said:
    Monster book of monsters is apparently in some stores for order pickup. Just submitted one, waiting on notification. 
    I take it you mean Barnes & Noble.
    Anyone seen it elsewhere?
    560Heliport
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 437
    edited December 2020
    I take it you mean Barnes & Noble.
    Anyone seen it elsewhere? 

Yeah. Just at BN. Thought I had put it in that thread when I saw it, put it here and then corrected myself. I shouldn't come here on my phone. Like, right now, I can't get out of quoting you. Oh well. 
    560HeliportAstrobricksKungFuKenny
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,281
    edited December 2020
    All sets in NA are made in Mexico.  CMFs are imported from China.

Is there some reason why this thread remains in the Members Only section?  Can it go back to the top?  @CapnRex101; @drdavewatford
    gmonkey76thenosAstrobricksKungFuKennyRonyarpxchrisCM4Sbpk2300
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,923
    edited December 2020
    SumoLego said:
    All sets in NA are made in Mexico.  CMFs are imported from China.
    CMFs USED to be imported from China prior to The LEGO Movie 2 series. Nowadays they're produced in LEGO's various facilities around the world, same as other sets.
    Besides the updated outer labeling ("Components made in Denmark, Hungary, Mexico, China, and the Czech Republic"), this shift was also evidenced by a change in the packaging design from a single thick foil pouch to a thinner foil pouch with a clear plastic bag inside.

SumoLegostlux
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,281
    ^ That's interesting - I'll have to find out about that.  Although now that you mention the change in packaging, I have found them more available than previous series.
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 377
    Did everyone get the same minifigure on day 15 and 19 on the HP advent calendar? 
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,054
    Did everyone get the same minifigure on day 15 and 19 on the HP advent calendar? 

It's the twin sisters Padme & Parvati, the Indian dresses are different though, the colours should be switched for bottom of the sari and the top. IT's only a very subtle difference.
    560Heliport
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 377
    snowhitie said:

It's the twin sisters Padme & Parvati, the Indian dresses are different though, the colours should be switched for bottom of the sari and the top. IT's only a very subtle difference.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Should have looked closer.
    snowhitie
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,054
    Thanks for clarifying that. Should have looked closer.

That's alright, it's very subtle so can totally see the confusion. I love those sari's and Cho's dress is so pretty too.
    wardmMr_Cross
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,091
    edited December 2020
    For those who missed it, The Monster Book of Monsters GWP looks to be a promo in January...
    https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-harry-potter-the-monster-book-of-monsters-30628-confirmed-for-january-2021-gwp-release/
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,613
    Oh geez, I just got it... Knocturn Alley = nocturnally... facepalm!
    KungFuKennyAstrobricksBrainsluggedBumblepantsMr_Crosskhmellymelpxchris
    And Diagon Alley = diagonally :-)
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,613
    And Diagon Alley = diagonally :-)
    I knew that one, that's why I'm so disgusted that I didn't get Knockturn Alley!
    Astrobricks
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 904
    edited December 2020
    I still don't understand how the floo network misconstrued Harry's mispronunciation of D-Diagon Alley as him wanting to go to Knockturn Alley.
    560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 203
    autolycus said:
    I still don't understand how the floo network misconstrued Harry's mispronunciation of D-Diagon Alley as him wanting to go to Knockturn Alley.
    Magic and plot convenience...
    560HeliportJ0rgen
    I take it you've never used Siri or Alexa…
    Recently Alexa misheard and added "booty" to the shopping list for me. I wasn't gonna complain though.
    AstrobricksKungFuKennytomahawker
    I take it you've never used Siri or Alexa…
    Recently Alexa misheard and added "booty" to the shopping list for me. I wasn't gonna complain though.
    So did you pick some up then? ;-)
    KungFuKenny
    edited December 2020
    So did you pick some up then? ;-)
    Fortunately Mrs Brainslugged had already stocked up. I don't think she would have been too happy with me coming back with some fresh stuff.
    Astrobricksgmonkey76J0rgenKungFuKennypanchox1bricktuarydavetheoxygenman
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 788
    With what has been leaked from summer information about the Harry Potter sets, it seems like for now there’s no year 7 sets included... 
    According to the information they will include golden collectible figures.
    There’s a girls bathroom set coming (with cat Hermione), a forbidden corridor with brick built Fluffy, a Hogsmeade set with three broomsticks and Honeydukes buildings and larger Hogwarts build (the great hall and staircase tower again) with chamber of secrets underneath.
    Now there’s still lots of sets with no information on, so still holding my hopes high for Gringotts and Battle for Hogwarts sets, maybe a Shrieking Shack...
    What do you guys think?
    Roebuck
  • RoebuckRoebuck Slitu, NorwayMember Posts: 80
    I think this will be a side wave for the 20 years anniversary, then the next wave (in August) will be all the normal DH sets.
    What I am most exited for is a potential 250$ DA expansion with Gringotts and maybe a second building with stores, but we will see, could also be the 120$ one with only the bank I guess..
    I'm very anxious to learn more about the HP sets for the Summer! It's been said that the anniversary castle won't link with the rest of the 2018- castle, but how can it not? I don't see them reverting to the 2001-2 building style, that would be too extreme. I'm really worried about the new Great Hall/Chamber of Secrets set being the greatest HP set of all time, when every logical fibre in my body is telling me I shouldn't get it because I already have it... If HP becomes truly evergreen, like Star Wars, I won't know what to do.

The other anniversary sets sound great, though! A new Fluffy, Moaning Myrtle's bathroom and Hogsmeade all sound great, and I'm sure there will be a pleasing selection of DH sets in addition to what's been reported.
  • 7BS7BS CaliforniaMember Posts: 55
    I'm also disappointed that they're rehashing the Great Hall—I read that the roof will be sand green, not Dbley, so won't be aesthetically compatible with past sections regardless of connectivity. Nonetheless, it's nice to get those specific scenes from Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and at $80 Hogsmeade should be pretty decent. I did hear that the $250 set isn't Gringotts. Like @Roebuck I'm holding out hope that the other half of the year's sets will be DH stuff—and that would be consistent with Ninjago and Star Wars anniversary lines.