Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Secret Santa 2020

Comments

• Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,074
    ^^Perhaps one could look to online alternatives such as BL, Ebay, Amazon, etc...? With a relatively small budget for this exchange, it creates other issues to go these directions. But, maybe it is one alternative? 

It's clearly weird times we're living in. 
    560HeliportKungFuKennySeijiAmasawakiki180703
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,537

When a (partial) lockdown is enforced, it may be very difficult to purchase LEGO to send to your fellow LEGO lover.

Hopefully there will still be shopping opportunities (curbside pickup, etc) even with a partial lockdown.  If not here are a few ideas:
    — as @Switchfoot55 stated, you could look to online sources i.e. Amazon, Bricklink, etc..(Lego.com has free shipping if you spend over $35 in the US, which gives you an excuse to get something for yourself!)
    — Make a custom MOC with instructions (I have done this before... I just took a photo of each step and made a “collage” of the steps in order)
    — Give something from your personal collection, and then replace it after the lockdown lifts

I also know that in the US it is possible to have Amazon and Bricklink orders shipped directly to your Santee (as a final resort)... perhaps this is an option in the Netherlands as well?
    Switchfoot55gratefulnat
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 238
    To save on shipping therefore maximizing on the giving part, I may or may not have shipped directly from Amazon or Lego.com for my prior Santees.
    KungFuKenny
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 828
    ^Oh man, we're starting that again?

I may or may not have signed up to participate in another great year of the BSS!

• Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 286
    I just typed a 300 words comment but hit a wrong key and my input was lost.
    Summary: I'm sure we can 't do Secret Santa in Europe because many countries are in a lockdown state. I explained that online buying in the US is totally different from online buying in the US.

I'm a fan of @KungFuKenny but in this case I think it's not a good thing to have an American "handle" Europe.

So I'm out, sorry to say this. I foresee too many problems with regard to buying small sets and the cost of shipping.

I'm anxious to know what @snowhitie thinks about this.
    England in lockdown

My point is this:

The essence and fun of Secret Santee is that you hunt for small LEGO gifts that are somewhere related to the wish list of the recipient. The next step is to personally pack the items you bought, add a gift card or whatever else you want to add to your package to make your recipient feel great when she/he receives the package. And ship it.

When shopping online (because there are no real shops available) you only have to click twice and the ‘personal’ gift is no longer personal but sent by an Internet Molog. This is not in line with the intention of the Secret Santee idea.

For me 90% of the fun is to buy items that match the recipient's preferences/theme and than to pack and personalize it.

In return I would like to receive something that has been selected for me personally.

snowhitie
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,176
    edited November 2020
    @Brickfan50

The thing you have to remember about this is that the vast majority of members are addicts of the brick and while it's nice to get a set ticked off a wants list, most would be happy with any gift that involves building something out of LEGO.
    Whether it's a small MOC, a wanted Minifigure and a small set that they didn't know they wanted it will always be welcome regardless.
    And you have to remember, everyone is in the same boat.
    snowhitiestluxkiki180703gratefulnatpanchox1SeijiAmasawa
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 238
    To each his own.

Can’t wait to receive my assignment. I can only promise that I will try my best to investigate what my Santee may want and click on the Amazon link on the forum page. It will help Brickset out a little and will at least guarantee that my random, impersonal clickings will be on Lego items.
    bandit778snowhitiered237panchox1M1J0E
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,025
    And also, you can still buy online, get it send to yourself, then add wrapping and a card, I was only saying that if things get too difficult, the option of ordering and drop shipping is an idea.

But then, you can still send a card on top or you can make an alternate build using the bricks in the set, if there ever was a time to think outside the box, this is it :)

Anway, we are all just trying so all those who still want to have a go and haven't entered yet, the draw is very close now! Last chance to take part in the fun!
    SeijiAmasawa
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 303
    Post is being quarantined to stop spread risks ,but if worried ,quarantine the package when it arrives. Here Smyths and argos are click and collect and a few deals to be had in both. I'm still in and hope I'm not alone ,but I do know I'd like which would be a bonus!
    Thanks all who commented and offered ideas. I'm a waiting the draw....
    gratefulnatKungFuKennypanchox1
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 288
    Thanks all who commented and offered ideas. I'm a waiting the draw....

So you are still in - wonderful! It is such a great experience!
    My number one store is a family run business, so far not shut down, but who knows what tomorrow brings (they were closed middle of March to the middle of June). The whole world is having to deal with covid19 and with the different guidelines being implemented in each country.
    If another lockdown like in Spring (here in western Europe) happens, maybe contact your favorite store and see if they will deliver to you at home. My favorite store does not have an online shop, but they did deliver to me in spring. Obviously not the same as going into the store and enjoying looking at everything, but still very personal.  I often spent 30 mins on the phone with them even down to details like which new polybags had arrived.
    The owner brought me my deliveries personally, free of charge :) (I do spend enough money there...)
    There are many options available to still purchase specific items without having to go physically into the store.
    Wishing everyone good health and loads of LEGO fun, this holiday season will be different, but it can still offer enjoyment!
    FowlerBricksBrickfan50KungFuKennysnowhitiekiki180703SeijiAmasawa
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,693
    *anticipation intensifies*
    KungFuKennygratefulnatSwitchfoot55SeijiAmasawa
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 288
    I have a name...
    The festivities may commence!
    KungFuKennyFowlerBricks
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 617
    *waits patiently*
    gratefulnatKungFuKenny
  • VgangVgang CyprusMember Posts: 73
    This year we need to act fast to overcome any potential delays in the post!
    Brickfan50FowlerBricksSwitchfoot55gratefulnatKungFuKennykiki180703
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 617
    Just checking, is everything OK? @stlux
    said I'd have my info by November 5th.
    Don’t worry... North America and the UK had quite a few signups, and sending out assignments takes a good amount of time - not unlike counting the votes in a presidential election :-) ... I’m sure @stlux and @kiki180703 will have incoming news in the next couple of days...
    kiki180703ModeltrainmanGothamConstructionCo
    @KungFuKenny, thanks, buddy. Just making sure.
    KungFuKenny
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,298
    Don’t worry... North America and the UK had quite a few signups, and sending out assignments takes a good amount of time - not unlike counting the votes in a presidential election :-) ... I’m sure @stlux and @kiki180703 will have incoming news in the next couple of days...
    I've consulted lawyers already about my selection. :-)
    KungFuKennytrax_3560HeliportGothamConstructionCopanchox1SeijiAmasawa
    edited November 2020
    I’ve got my name and the sleuthing has begun!
  • ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 165
    Still waiting for mine....so excited!!
  • MeganLMeganL West Coast Outpost, Brickset TowersMember Posts: 115
    Got my assignment, the stalking, er, information gathering will begin! 

It's interesting that my Santee's wanted list is so similar to mine.  Or, I mean, maybe it isn't...
    KungFuKenny
    I may or may not have made some Secret Santa related Bricklink purchases last night... :-)
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 828
    I may or may not have spent a couple hours or minutes researching my Santee...
    KungFuKenny
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,822
    edited November 2020
    I'm checking my inbox still... :-)
    Oh crap - there's one from ages ago I haven't replied to!
    I am useless at this. But slightly better at buying Lego, so my Santee needn't worry.
    smsloggettKungFuKenny
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,074
    I swear I already put in a comment after Stlux's confirmation that all had been sent out. Weird...

In any case, target acquired, purchasing commenced! 
    KungFuKenny
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 653
    Still waiting patiently here in the UK…! 🎄
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,897
    Where is that gif of that person just swing sadly on a swing, then stood in an empty pool when you need it? 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,298
    Where is that gif of that person just swing sadly on a swing, then stood in an empty pool when you need it? 
    From the TV series Narcos?

Probably fairly apt, waiting to deal with a highly priced, addictive product.
    GothamConstructionCoRedbullgivesuwindKungFuKennyravendragonwingSprinkleOtter
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,897
    ^Yep that is exactly it. I feel like Lego fans are not very patient.
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 653
    Quote from Kiki on 8th Nov, two days ago:
    I'll be doing the draw for the UK this morning and will be sending the assignments throughout the day.
    I'm trying to be patient! But the paranoia that I've been missed kicks in ;-)
    SprinkleOtter
    To all UK people, draw has been done, I'm just going to double check nobody has the same recipient as last year and then @kiki180703 will be sending out assignments!

Just a little longer on the swing :)
    kiki180703stluxKungFuKennybenbacardiSwitchfoot55GothamConstructionCoBrainsluggedtrax_3Redbullgivesuwind
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,724
    edited November 2020

I'm trying to be patient! But the paranoia that I've been missed kicks in ;-)
    If you've been missed, then so have I. One year I had already bought, wrapped and shipped my gift by this point!.....or had I!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,448
    CCC said:
    From the TV series Narcos?

Probably fairly apt, waiting to deal with a highly priced, addictive product.
    That's why I had to sell my outdoor swing.
    GothamConstructionCoSprinkleOtter
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,519
    Thanks for organising, @kiki180703. It feels like Xmas is really on its way now. Getting all my advent calendar needs sorted in the past few days has helped in this respect as well. :)
    KungFuKennysnowhitiebenbacardikiki180703
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,368
    Can someone just remind us all how you can look at someone else's collection and want list.

Just asking for a friend.  Obviously after being a member for eight years, I know how to do it, but it might be helpful for others...
    FowlerBricksKungFuKenny560Heliportkiki180703SprinkleOttergratefulnat
    edited November 2020
    Can someone just remind us all how you can look at someone else's collection and want list.

Just asking for a friend.  Obviously after being a member for eight years, I know how to do it, but it might be helpful for others...

Go to Brickset and fill in the member's name in the search field, this should show the owned and wanted list. Unless they've not made it public, then maybe ask your organiser to ask your Santee to make it public ;)
    You could also put in their name instead of Snowhitie
    Hope that helps your friend, otherwise let me know..
    KungFuKenny560HeliportBooTheMightyHamsterkiki180703
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    Let the stalking begin!
    KungFuKenny