It is that time of the year again and nothing will keep us from bringing a smile on other forum member's faces!
Put on your fake beards and get ready to enter into the wonderful, spectacular, 8th annual Big Brickset Secret Santa!
This year the great helping elves are @stlux , @kiki180703 and our new host for the year, @KungFuKenny . A big hooray and thanks to these volunteers. I'll be not on the front lines but will be there behind the scenes to help out where needed.
rules of the Brickset Secret Santa are as follows:
- The guide price for the cost of a gift is £15, €20 or
$20 (USD, CAD, AUD, NZD) -postage excluded.
- Wish lists are welcome, so please send that with your
initial message if you would like to include one, or add a link to
your Brickset 'wanted list' and make sure it is set to public. If you
are happy with whatever please add a line to that effect, just so we know
you didn't forget to add any info.
- MOCs are also welcome as long as the total part value
roughly corresponds to the guide prices given above.
- Please either wrap the gift before packaging it or
indicate on the box that the contents are not wrapped.
- Please ensure that your gift is sent in time for
Christmas, final posting dates for each country are available online. However, please don't leave it until the last minute, we all know there's things going on in the 'real' world and expect the unexpected. So, more than other years, try to get it send as early as possible.
- When you open the gift on Christmas day, post a picture
or a description when you get the time (I know holidays are frantic).
exactly do you have to do to take part?
- Sign up to be included by sending a PM with your
username, emailadres, mailing address and
wanted list to the relevant organiser (see below).
- Your Brickset ID will then be entered into a draw, deadline
for this is the 1st of November.
- Names will be drawn during the weekend of the 2nd of
- Within a couple of days of the draw, everyone who
entered will be PMed with the name and address of the person they have
been assigned to buy a gift for.
- Purchase a gift, adhering to the cost guidelines.
- Send the gift, keeping in mind that it should arrive in
time for Christmas.
- If all goes according to plan, everybody will receive
their gift before Christmas!
- Post a picture or a message after you’ve opened the gift.
The closing date for signing up to the 2020 Brickset Secret
Santa is midnight (GMT+1) on the 1st of November.
exchange is divided between the United Kingdom, Continental Europe and North
America/Canada in the hope of keeping postage costs to a minimum. Do
let us know if you would like to join in but are elsewhere in the world as we
will try and accommodate everyone if possible.
the list of the relevant organisers:
If you are new to forums and you are not sure if this is for you, check out last year's thread to
get some inspiration. If you are not new, you might want to as well, just to get in 'the mood'.
there are any questions, post them here or send me or the organiser of your
area a PM.
A couple of FAQ from previous years to start...
- How to share a wishlist: When you share your wishlist,
don't just copy and paste the weblink when you are looking at it, because
that will show 'my collection', e.g. https://brickset.com/sets/mycollection-wanted
The way to go about it is you go to 'my sets', then to 'sets wanted'
and then click 'share', this will give you a link to send to the
organiser, e.g. https://brickset.com/sets/wantedby-Snowhitie
- How to make sure your wishlist is public: You go to https://brickset.com/profile/edit
and you make sure to tick this box at the bottom: Yes, allow Brickset
users to view my collection.
- Do I need a wishlist? A wanted list is not necessary,
it's more to give people ideas than an actual 'wishlist' per se. You could
say you are after bricks more than actual sets and maybe add a colour
scheme or tell what you are building. You can add a bricklink parts list
as a guide line (maybe this person has lots of something you want and they
don't) but part of the fun is to be surprised a bit too ;)
- Is it really Secret? Most people do keep their identity
a total secret, every year there is a lot of misdirection on the thread
(people posting that they've send the gift etc. You are off course allowed
to give the game away afterwards, but it seems like most people enjoy the
total mystery/trying to guess who it was from. If you want to try and hide
your identity even more but you want to put in a return address when you
send your parcel off (better safe than sorry), you can always use a
friend/work/family's details as a return address.
- What if I'm
travelling to relatives at Xmas time? Please let us know either the
address where you will be spending Christmas (if they will keep your
parcel safe off course) or let us know when you will be leaving so your
Santa can try and make sure the parcel gets there early.
Think that's it for me for now.
I now declare the Brickset Secret Santa open for business!!!