Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How Covid-19 affects our hobby

1235»

Comments

• ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 594
    jmeninno said:
    Philippians 4:13, my brothers and sisters.

Amen!
  • flightriskflightrisk USAMember Posts: 159
    To get this thread back on track, this experience has got me praying more, reading the Bible more, and finally getting my 30+ years of (God given) LEGO sorted! 
    I hope you’re sorting by piece now instead of by color. 

jmeninno said:
    Philippians 4:13, my brothers and sisters.
    Absolutely!   Waking up to these nice posts was just what I needed.  
    Modeltrainmanpanchox1
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 594
    To get this thread back on track, this experience has got me praying more, reading the Bible more, and finally getting my 30+ years of (God given) LEGO sorted! 

That's still on my list of to-dos. We're doing it by color first to save space, but that's a story that belongs elsewhere. Let me go start elsewhere.
    I can only say this.  You’re not doing yourself any favors by sorting by color.  
    ModeltrainmanSumoLegoKungFuKennymonkeyhanger
    I'm seeing that. :D I'm building something with a lot of colors, and it is not easy to find a  dark green 1x2 in a gallon bag of dark green...But I digress, there's another thread for this now. ;)
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 323
    I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but Australia gets our Lego from China. One thing I am noticing on our [email protected] is things are starting to go temporarily out of stock and not being replenished. Not older sets, but newer ones. The new Star Wars helmets have been out of stock since the day they were released for example.
    Even other stores that stock Lego are not getting new stock in.
    I do wonder if we will have a noticeable Lego shortage and if we do would we get stock from other factories.
    Modeltrainman
    @Charmiefcb Maybe that's why certain sets are showing out of stock. Hadn't considered that closely, but it makes sense why the Treehouse isn't coming back in stock here, either.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    I see the Tree House is backordered in the UK as well. 
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 564
    My "wishlist" on [email protected] is 40 sets long, with a pretty good mix of modulars, SW, HP, and Ideas from 2018 to the most recent SW helmet releases and 3 pre-release sets. 10 sets are showing "Temporarily Out of Stock" and have for at least two weeks now. 5 show backorder that will ship within 45 days. So 15 out of 37 sets are not in stock in the Lego warehouses in the US. The out of stock includes every single modular and at least one set from every theme in my "wish list". There is almost certainly some combination of supply shortage and/or massive demand spike.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 524

That's still on my list of to-dos. We're doing it by color first to save space, but that's a story that belongs elsewhere. Let me go start elsewhere.
    You can do the piece type first by grouping related part types, too. like all 2-wide bricks as one group instead of one bin/bag per type.
    @masterX244 Are they still easy to find, that way?

You can do the piece type first by grouping related part types, too. like all 2-wide bricks as one group instead of one bin/bag per type.
    Exactly.  That’s exactly how to get started.  

Just throw a pile on a table and leave room on the table to start 3 other piles.  Separate bricks from flat pieces from smaller pieces.   Once you have them separated, toss each pile into a separate tub and start up another pile.
      I kept four tubs under the table (an extra tub for pieces like canopies, windows, wheels etc). I also combined technic pieces with bricks at first.  
    Using tubs lets you start and stop at any time.  The pieces will slide right into them and not bounce right back out.  Then you just pop on a lid to stack them in a corner when your family demands the stupid table back. 

Thanks, everyone! Going to have to see about this. Hadn't though about all 1x, etc in a container, but I wonder if that might save space, too.. 
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 165
    I don't have lots of space here and when my LEGO pieces started to get more numerous I had to find something to keep them in and do some preliminary sorting. At my local dollar store I found Sterilite Stack & Carry boxes. After the first few I ended up ordering more through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-14138606-Layer-Stack-8-Inch/dp/B00NIVBEDA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=345S6631W9RPI&dchild=1&keywords=sterilite+stack+and+carry&qid=1587950880&s=home-garden&sprefix=Styerilite+Stack%2Cgarden%2C184&sr=1-1 

I have types like bricks and plates and tiles sorted by size and then some are by color. The system keeps growing and I will probably have to get some more soon! I've printed off labels for all four sides so it doesn't matter which way one is facing. I also have a couple of small drawer sets for the little bitty pieces.
    560HeliportcatwranglerSumoLegoModeltrainmanBrickfan50Cymbeline
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    Covid-19 has got me watching Lego Masters (both US and Australia) and reignited my interest in Lego. Unfortunately both of the modulars I want (Diner and Bookstore) are sold out locally so guess I'll have to wait a bit. Hopefully they'll come back in stock soon.
    panchox1catwranglerSumoLegoCymbeline
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 323
    Still no stock for my wish list sets on [email protected] Australia. I added the new Harry Potter sets to my wish list and I would be interested to see how many of them are in stock on release day. That should show how good or bad it is for the regions served by the Chinese factory.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,247
    This photo feels like an allegory for the current state of affairs....

Bumblepantsstluxpxchrisscottdd2catwranglerdavetheoxygenmanKungFuKennyCymbelinekhmellymel
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,358
    edited April 29
    @Charmiefcb The Jiaxing factory was only closed for a grand total of a single week before it was allowed to open again.
    So any bare Lego store shelves you're seeing are related to logistics issues and changed buying patterns, some possibly specific to Australia itself, not "the Chinese factory".

Lego factories are highly automated, with some sections basically non-accessible to humans. The Jiaxing factory has 1 employee for every 137.5m2 (approx 1500ft2), so plenty of space to do social distancing.
    CharmiefcbJern92gmonkey76panchox1catwranglerCymbelineFizyx
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 955
    stlux said:
    @Charmiefcb The Jiaxing factory was only closed for a grand total of a single week before it was allowed to open again.
    So any bare Lego store shelves you're seeing are related to logistics issues and changed buying patterns, some possibly specific to Australia itself, not "the Chinese factory".

Lego factories are highly automated, with some sections basically non-accessible to humans. The Jiaxing factory has 1 employee for every 137.5m2 (approx 1500ft2), so plenty of space to do social distancing.

Glad this got necroed because I had missed this the first time.  That's actually pretty crazy about the staffing levels of the Jiaxing factory, definitely cool to know.  I never thought of it before, but thinking back all the footage I see from inside LEGO factories really is very light on employees wandering around in the background!

Also, another effect that I don't think most of us were expecting when this all started (although it should have been a pretty obvious corollary early on due to the supply issues...) but the lack of sales has definitely changed my buying patterns.  I don't know if it actually changed the amount that I've bought over the last 6 months, although I suspect that for it has reduced it by a decent amount.  At the same time though, I've made purchases on sets that looked like they may be going out or production that were clearly having stock issues at times that I didn't even have double points or a similar incentive, which is also a pretty massive change for me. (Treehouse and DD were the two big ones there.)
    Astrobricks560HeliportKungFuKennyCymbelinegmonkey76autolycus