Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Orange Classic Spaceman: What Should Be The New Spaceman's Job/Role?

Traditionally, both LEGO designers and fans have assigned their colored Classic Spacemen different jobs/roles. With LEGO's introduction of the long-awaited orange classic spaceman, it's time to consider identifying his potential role in the classic space community. What do you think?

Below is what I currently understand the existing spaceman roles to be. With an exception of the pink spaceman, this is based on what Jens Knudsen & Mark Stafford have shared via articles (provided links are for those articles).
  • Blue: interchangeably technicians/mechanics and security/soldiers/commanders
  • Red & White: interchangeably pilots and explorers
  • Yellow: scientists
  • Black: warriors/spies
  • Green: mech operators
  • Pink: possibly dubbed "medic" by the fan community (I believe that I've read this somewhere before on a brickset article... but am now having trouble finding it)
This is my take on the orange spaceman's potential role. Mining is a common element found in other LEGO space adventures like Mars Mission, Rock Raiders, Collectible Minifigures (example: series 12 Space Miner), and even the 2019 City Space subtheme. Across these themes, the color orange is often associated with mining and rock collecting (if you're wondering about this theory in regards to Rock Raiders, Sparks has an orange mining suit). I think that a defined miner role seems to be missing in Classic Space, and personally believe that a miner's role could be very nicely filled with the orange spaceman.

But these are just my thoughts. What do you think? 
BumblepantsAyliffe

Comments

• Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 127
    imposter
    MinifigInSpaceBumblepantsFizyxandhebookmumgraphite
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 27
    Casper_vd_Korf Imposter is a good one! I can imagine Blacktron must be trying to sneak in among the Classic Space ranks  ;)
  • HugeBlueBrickHugeBlueBrick At my PCMember Posts: 27
    Retraining as ballerina
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,461
    Prisoner.
    Or maybe Orange Julius employee.
    MinifigInSpace560HeliportKungFuKennydavetheoxygenmanSumoLego
    Prisoner.
    Or maybe Orange Julius employee.
    LOL I never thought of that connection. Prisoner is a great one! 
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 76
    Blue: Command, security, soldier.
    Red: Pilot.
    White: Scientist.
    Yellow: Engineer.
    Black: Spy.
    Green: Technician, equipment operator.
    Pink: Medic.
    Light gray: Cadet.
    Orange: Miner? Sounds good to me.
    MinifigInSpaceKungFuKennySumoLego
    iwybs said:
    Blue: Command, security, soldier.
    Red: Pilot.
    White: Scientist.
    Yellow: Engineer.
    Black: Spy.
    Green: Technician, equipment operator.
    Pink: Medic.
    Cool! I completely forgot about the Light Grey classic spaceman. Thanks for bringing him up and identifying his role  :)
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 427
     I associate Orange with construction workers, or maybe the people on prison work details cleaning up litter along freeways.

So I guess my vote for Orange is Space Janitor or Space construction worker. 
    KungFuKennyMinifigInSpaceandhe
    iwybs said:
    Cool! I completely forgot about the Light Grey classic spaceman. Thanks for bringing him up and identifying his role  :)
    The reason cadets wear light gray is, of course, because the only known light gray classic spacer is this chap, who surely hasn't earned his commission yet:

https://brickset.com/sets/71018-13/Rocket-Boy
    MinifigInSpace
    Tkatt said:
     I associate Orange with construction workers, or maybe the people on prison work details cleaning up litter along freeways.

So I guess my vote for Orange is Space Janitor or Space construction worker. 
    Great thoughts! In this case, maybe the orange spacemen should be classified as "laborers"... the guys who do the dirty work like cleaning-up, mining, and construction.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,143
    edited October 20
    Was trying to think of a good all encompassing word. How about 'maintenance' or is that to close to engineer? (assuming engineer is more the hands on type than structural or electrical etc). 
    MinifigInSpace
    First responder?  I agree, a maintenance/construction role for orange would be too close to the technician/equipment operator role for green.  But maybe first responder for orange is be too close to medic for pink.
    MinifigInSpace
    Maybe the mission leader or something? Most people won’t have many orange dudes, so a role that is common will be difficult to fulfill in a diorama. Or he has to be the janitor of the whole base on his own.
    MinifigInSpace
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 78
    I think some sort of food service role would be good for the orange uniforms.  
    MinifigInSpace
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,524
    Journalist or civilian along for the ride.  They don't have the full training of other astro/cosmonauts so need to be easily visible in case of emergencies.
    560HeliportMinifigInSpace
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,552
    I just want the book he comes in to drop to a reasonable price.
    TheOriginalSimonBpxchrisMinifigInSpaceTkattFizyxKungFuKennyMr_CrossSumoLegoReesesPieces
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 953
    Yes, this.
    I ain't gonna spend $36 (current Amazon price) for this.
    MinifigInSpaceTkattKungFuKennyBumblepantsMr_Cross
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,143
    It'll end up at £6 at The Works (UK) at some point. All these big books seem to. 
    MinifigInSpace
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,104
    Yeah. It is a shame thebookpeople no longer take orders, as they would have probably done it for £3 or £5 like the old SW and HP ones.
    andheMinifigInSpace
    Looking over all the great thoughts (and jokes!) so far, I'm seeing three common elements that are being associated with the Orange Classic Spaceman:
    1. High visibility (due to the bight color)
    2. Laborer/worker/maintenance type of duties (due to application of orange in the general workforce)
    3. Some sort of special ranking (due to uniqueness/rarity)
    Combining these common elements, here's a new proposal: Cosmic Superintendent. 

"The Cosmic Superintendent has many duties, particularity in leading technical labor operations and overseeing complex maintenance routines. Despite being a crew leader, the Orange Spaceman is frequently required to do the technical assignments himself. The Orange Spaceman's duties include doing/overseeing technical mining, colony construction, advanced maintenance, hazardous clean-up, and occasionally delivering vital supplies (like food) to Classic Space explorers. The Orange Spaceman's jobs require great skill but frequently result in him getting his hands dirty. Because of his high position and skill, the lower ranking spacemen often treat their boss like a convicted criminal."

Thoughts?
    AstrobricksAyliffe
    How about combining yellow and reds roles? So an aircraft engineer?
    MinifigInSpaceeMJeeNL
    Looking over all the great thoughts (and jokes!) so far, I'm seeing three common elements that are being associated with the Orange Classic Spaceman:
    1. High visibility (due to the bight color)
    2. Laborer/worker/maintenance type of duties (due to application of orange in the general workforce)
    3. Some sort of special ranking (due to uniqueness/rarity)
    Combining these common elements, here's a new proposal: Cosmic Superintendent. 

"The Cosmic Superintendent has many duties, particularity in leading technical labor operations and overseeing complex maintenance routines. Despite being a crew leader, the Orange Spaceman is frequently required to do the technical assignments himself. The Orange Spaceman's duties include doing/overseeing technical mining, colony construction, advanced maintenance, hazardous clean-up, and occasionally delivering vital supplies (like food) to Classic Space explorers. The Orange Spaceman's jobs require great skill but frequently result in him getting his hands dirty. Because of his high position and skill, the lower ranking spacemen often treat their boss like a convicted criminal."

Thoughts?
    I think they called that a “functional manager” at my old job :)
    MinifigInSpace
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,977
    ^ As opposed to nonfunctional, or dysfunctional? :)
    MinifigInSpace
    How about combining yellow and reds roles? So an aircraft engineer?
    That's an interesting thought! It wouldn't necessarily be a "new" role, but it could definitely work.
    ^ As opposed to nonfunctional, or dysfunctional? :)
    In other words, normal?
    MinifigInSpace560Heliport
    I think they called that a “functional manager” at my old job :)
    Honestly it kinda looks like this potential role could be called lots of things  ;)
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 577
    I'm making all my orange spacemen orbital construction workers. That said, in my collection, I have more orange guys than any other single color, so maybe they would be better off being the general population?
    MinifigInSpace
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 78
    How about if the orange guys were assigned to exterior HazMat cleanup duties.  You wouldn't need a lot of them on the team as this would be a very specialized duty.
    MinifigInSpace
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,272
    Does anyone have a link to the Orange Spaceman in the BS database? I can't find it anywhere!

The book is here, but no link to the minifig: https://brickset.com/sets/ISBN0241409691-1/LEGO-Minifigure-A-Visual-History

Am I going mad?
    MinifigInSpace
    Does anyone have a link to the Orange Spaceman in the BS database? I can't find it anywhere!

The book is here, but no link to the minifig: https://brickset.com/sets/ISBN0241409691-1/LEGO-Minifigure-A-Visual-History

Am I going mad?

I haven't been able to find a link either...

Am I going mad?

I haven't been able to find a link either...
    If you can't find it, no one can! ;-)
    MinifigInSpace
    I did actually manage to find it. First went to BL and found out that it is called "sp130", so here it is:

https://brickset.com/minifigs/sp130

@Huw, could this perhaps be linked to the book above somehow?
    MinifigInSpaceAstrobricksKungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,425
    edited October 24
    pxchris said:

On Amazon it is down to $31.99 in the US and £20.50 in the UK...
    MinifigInSpace
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 953
    pxchris said:

On Amazon it is down to $31.99 in the US and £20.50 in the UK...
    Well, that's getting better... I'm really hoping for more like $25 though.
    SumoLegoMinifigInSpace
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,247
    ^ I'll hold out for the clearance Blu-Ray DVD $9.99 price, thank you.

(Just ordered two Shazam DVDs.)
    MinifigInSpace
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,247
    iwybs said:
    Clearly, Space Miners...

Affleck - you the bomb in Phantoms!, yo!
    MinifigInSpace560HeliportKungFuKennyBumblepantsFizyxbandit778
    How about if the orange guys were assigned to exterior HazMat cleanup duties.  You wouldn't need a lot of them on the team as this would be a very specialized duty.
    Personally, I really like that idea! I think it could fit well into the existing Classic Space roles. They could also explore toxic planets in addition to cleaning up leaked radioactive material   ;)
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,438
    I think orange denotes membership to the Elf Clubhouse.

560HeliportGothamConstructionCoAyliffeMr_CrossKungFuKennyAstrobricksJudgeChuckbrickventuresmadforLEGO
    ^ Looks like a “A Clockwork Orange: the Space Holiday Special”...
    560HeliportAstrobricksGothamConstructionCoMr_Cross
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 955
    First he gets it from the Gingerbread Men, now he gets it from the Orange Spacemen... elves can't catch a break in LEGOTown.
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyBrainslugged
    @Brainslugged Where on earth did you get so many Orange Spacemen??!! Any secrets you'd care to divulge, as I'd love one or two more! ;-)
    The only ones on BL are from a seller in HK at the moment at about £20 each!
    MinifigInSpace
    @Brainslugged Where on earth did you get so many Orange Spacemen??!! Any secrets you'd care to divulge, as I'd love one or two more! ;-)
    The only ones on BL are from a seller in HK at the moment at about £20 each!
    Perhaps a bulk LUG order?
    BrainsluggedJudgeChuckMinifigInSpaceAyliffeMr_Cross
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 284

AstrobricksCasper_vd_KorfKungFuKenny560HeliportBrainsluggedJudgeChuckpxchrisMinifigInSpaceAyliffe
    @Cymbeline LOL!
    MinifigInSpace
    LOL! Yeah my eyes just about popped when I saw soooo many orange spacemen. I've got only one so far, I'm just waiting to see if my local Costco gets the books in stock dirt cheap like previous years  ;D