Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Set Boxes

flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl JedburghMember Posts: 172
I have the boxes for most of my collection, including friends, city, and all my empty polybags. Storing them all is beginning to cause me problems so I am considering getting rid of them all apart from the modular boxes. Is there a market for opened once, empty boxes?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,090
    If the set is worth less than £100 then not really. If you think you will ever sell the sets, flatten the boxes for storage.
    madforLEGO
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl JedburghMember Posts: 172
    edited October 6
    Thsnks @CCC. They are already flattened. Then stored in the modular boxes, (which aren't flattened). These are then stored in the lego shop shipping boxes. They are mounting up! 
  • NateMN2020NateMN2020 MinnesotaMember Posts: 20
    I got rid of all of my boxes for opened sets. In my mind they were just taking up space. Only ones I miss are the ones from old sets that have alternate models on them, and have the nice inner trays system. But the alternate models can be found in places online, so there’s that too. Count me as a vote for ditching them, if you’re asking for input. 
    flowerpotgirl
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,311
    I get rid of all my boxes for non-UCS or non-D2C large sets for recycling. Even packed flat there would be too much to store otherwise, even though i’ve bought less sets generally over the last few years.
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 372
    I’d also recommend getting rid of most. After 6 years keeping everything I had boxes full of boxes full of boxes just taking up space. It was worth keeping the boxes for the Modulars and other big sets like GBHQ and Ninjago City/Docks, and also Ideas, which have recently been broken down and repacked to free up space, but pretty much everything else went to recycling, which was quite therapeutic. Anything else broken down just goes into the brick collection. I have kept all instructions though, now need a storage solution for them. 
    TL:DR - let ‘em go...
    flowerpotgirlPeteM
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 76
    I kept mine for the longest time.  I know I am never going to sell my sets, so I sold most of my larger sets for around $150 USD.  Boxing them up, even flattened, was a pain.  So I will sell local but I'm done with shipping.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,445
    I don’t feel any attachment for boxes usually, but I do like to keep the Architecture ones. They seem like they are part of the whole experience - nice box, nice instructions, etc.
    bricktuaryKungFuKenny
  • NateMN2020NateMN2020 MinnesotaMember Posts: 20
    I don’t feel any attachment for boxes usually, but I do like to keep the Architecture ones. They seem like they are part of the whole experience - nice box, nice instructions, etc.
    I do keep Architecture and Ideas boxes, ones that have a closing mechanism.
    flowerpotgirl
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 553
    edited October 7
    I had been flattening most boxing and shoving them into a large box like a UCS or Creator Expert (Modular or Fairground) set. I've kept them all in a closet that's conditioned space because I didn't want to deal with moisture or bug problems.

Last weekend I got some of the XXL/Jumbo Zip Lock bags and managed to get all of my flattened boxes into just 2 of those. Put them down in the basement. Freed up enough space in my closet for at least 4 more UCS sets just because I had to allow some empty space for maneuvering the flattened boxes into the other ones. I used some of that for my BCW boxes that hold my instructions. The closet floor looks much cleaner now!

ETA: I do keep my Architecture, Ideas, and Brickheadz boxes in tact in sterilite bins with gaskets. Throw away the battle packs, micro-fighters and similar though.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 656
    edited October 7
    I recycle absolutely everything (apart from the LEGO elements themselves). I keep some instructions but rarely. Boxes are definitely straight in the recycling 😬
    flowerpotgirl
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 553
    edited October 7
    Ugg... wish I could still edit my post... "all" isn't right. I couldn't get 3 of the largest boxes into the Zip Lock bags. Hogwarts Castle, UCS Sandcrawler, and Ideas Tree House did not fit. Some other UCS set boxes and Creator Expert (including 2 modulars, Carousel and Ferris Wheel) did fit, barely.
    flowerpotgirl
  • browny333browny333 USAMember Posts: 49
    I have the boxes for most of my collection, including friends, city, and all my empty polybags. Storing them all is beginning to cause me problems so I am considering getting rid of them all apart from the modular boxes. Is there a market for opened once, empty boxes?
    yes there is market for this purpose but u might not get the actual price
    flowerpotgirl