Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2021 Modular Rumors

Comments

• BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 314
    ^^ Hopefully not a mobile phone store since the modulars really ought to be in the 1930s-1950s era.

Id love to see a radio or television shop, perhaps both. It would be cool to see what Lego designers come up with for home wireless' (the small/medium sized ones that sit on a mantel piece), transistors, a large wireless (those radios that are like an entire cabinet) and of course a good old fashioned rabbit-eared 1950s telly. Mind you, in that case BooTheMightyHamster and CCC had better get their TV licenses ready hahahaha.

Lordmoral
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,977
    There's  rabbit-eared TV in the apartment on the top floor of #10264 Corner Garage.
    AstrobricksCymbeline

Yes, hence it would be cool to have somewhere for the fellow who owns that apartment to have bought his TV, like the newly-weds from Town Hall can go to the Assembly Square bakery for their wedding cake (and likely the AS florist for the bride's bouquet)
    560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,104
    Brickchap said:
    ^^ Hopefully not a mobile phone store since the modulars really ought to be in the 1930s-1950s era.

Id love to see a radio or television shop, perhaps both. It would be cool to see what Lego designers come up with for home wireless' (the small/medium sized ones that sit on a mantel piece), transistors, a large wireless (those radios that are like an entire cabinet) and of course a good old fashioned rabbit-eared 1950s telly. Mind you, in that case BooTheMightyHamster and CCC had better get their TV licenses ready hahahaha.

There is no definitive date. 1930-50s buildings look similar now as they did then, so they can easily be old buildings in present day.
    @CCC Yes but the interiors and accompanying vehicles are meant to be 1930s-1950s. It also just looks ridiculous like how town hall had a 1930s flash bulb camera next to a (well modern for 2012) PC in the secretary office, or brick bank had a modern espresso machine next to a typewriter. It looks very out of place, when I MOC modulars I pick an era and stick to it with vehicles, clothes of minfigs and objects.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,461
    As @Tkatt suggested, the modulars exist in a fantasy world where historical anachronism is just part of the fun!  But you do you :)
    560HeliportTkattCymbelinestluxthedingman5gmonkey76NateMN2020
    Brickchap said:
    @CCC Yes but the interiors and accompanying vehicles are meant to be 1930s-1950s. 
    They are meant to be what you want them to be.
    mustang69
    @Istokg Agreed. Personally I like seeing the old projecter build although why they had roof access for no reason I do not know and I did a mock up in LDD and found that I could have I think three or four? rows of seats, plus raising them. I will excuse the raising of the seats since Ive been in two 1930s era cinemas (one is specifically a 1928 one) and both had all the seats on one level.
    Istokg said:
    Brickchap said:
    @CCC Yes but the interiors and accompanying vehicles are meant to be 1930s-1950s. It also just looks ridiculous like how town hall had a 1930s flash bulb camera next to a (well modern for 2012) PC in the secretary office, or brick bank had a modern espresso machine next to a typewriter. It looks very out of place, when I MOC modulars I pick an era and stick to it with vehicles, clothes of minfigs and objects.
    That's all small potatoes to what I find the biggest Modular blunder of all... the interior of the Palace Cinema. 

Only 6 theatre seats in the entire building, all on the 2nd floor... WTH?  They could have skipped having the bathroom and especially the projection room (when do you ever see the interior of a projection room when inside a theatre?).  Like with most modulars that don't have a bathroom, that could have just been implied. 

They should have just had a candy counter and staircase on the first floor... with main floor seating, and just a balcony on the 2nd level, to make the theatre look like a movie palace on the inside, as it already does on the outside.

This is what the interior of the Palace Cinema auditorium should have looked like... with the screen and procenium (arch framing the screen/stage) about 1 1/2 stories tall, and with more than just 6 seats...

That is towards realistic, but also somewhat boring and repetitive. The PC suffers from small numbers of people but then so do most modulars. The number of people that can go to the restaurants for example, they would not be viable. The number of books in a book shop. Elsewhere in lego, the number of people in a train, and so on. 
    BumblepantsLordmoral
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,143
    Then people would be asking why the set didn't have enough figures to fill the seats. 
    Lordmoral
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 284
    andhe said:
    Then people would be asking why the set didn't have enough figures to fill the seats. 
    Terrible film and stale popcorn?
    andhegmonkey76mic27KungFuKennyLordmoral
    Cymbeline said:
    andhe said:
    Terrible film and stale popcorn?
    Or they predicted coronavirus and the need for social distancing in cinemas.
    RedbullgivesuwindFizyx560Heliportkarritmic27Lordmoral
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 427
    edited October 8
    @Istokg You've left out another problem with the Palace Cinema.
    There are windows in the auditorium! Film Projectors and daylight are a bad combination. I'm usually not too bothered with the weird design choices that show up in LEGO modulars. But I feel putting windows in a movie theater is wrong.
    I modified my PC by taking out the windows, adding more seats and enclosing the projection booth. But now that I see the theater Istokg posted I'm inspired to make more changes. I really like the stadium seats and balcony. 
    CymbelineFizyxBrickchapAstrobricks
    I changed the roof on mine, made it look more like an Art Deco palace rather then a chinese restaurant.
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 564
    Brickchap said:
    I changed the roof on mine, made it look more like an Art Deco palace rather then a chinese restaurant.
    Chinese restaurant?!?!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grauman%27s_Chinese_Theatre
    Astrobricks560HeliportstluxCCCBananas
    @autolycus Yes I know it was a Chinese theatre but a Chinese theatre is very specific and therefore limiting and apart from the Chinese embassy in Canberra, the only Oriental architecture we have in Australia is Chinese restaurants. There's one in Brisbane which has a similar roof to palace cinema.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,218
    I'd like to see a post office - It would suit a 'straight' modular. Could have an apartment above for the post master and a small van build (with perhaps a nod to one well known British series...)
    Brickchap
    Thats what I thought. I feel like it would just go well next to Bookstore.

Id love to see the bespectacled Postman Pat and his black and white cat but sadly Lego only does things if Americans or Chinese like it.

I wonder whether they would use the entire ground floor (sorry I get all confused with the US and British discrepancies on that, whatever the floor is that is in line with the street) for the post office or whether it would be done similar to that great Post Office modular MOC that has been around for a while (it was a small branch British post office with a fish and chip shop next door and a small post van, say 1940s)
    Brickchap said:
    Id love to see the bespectacled Postman Pat and his black and white cat but sadly Lego only does things if Americans or Chinese like it. 
    I’d love to see them, even though I’ve never seen the show they’re from :)
    Lordmoral
    Mails here  Postman pat Lego trains Toy car
    560HeliportMattDawsonAstrobricksHugeBlueBrickLordmoral
    Brickchap said:
    I want one!
    Brickchap
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,218
    Brickchap said:
    I wonder whether they would use the entire ground floor (sorry I get all confused with the US and British discrepancies on that, whatever the floor is that is in line with the street) for the post office or whether it would be done similar to that great Post Office modular MOC that has been around for a while (it was a small branch British post office with a fish and chip shop next door and a small post van, say 1940s) 
    The easiest way to remember is the British use ground floor as 0, whereas the Americans use it as floor 1. 

... makes you wonder where the "0" floor is in US elevators...
    Lordmoral
    I've never seen a "0" floor, and no consistency on how the below-ground levels are named... "B" for basement, then "SB" for subbasement below that; "B1, B2", etc. going down; "LL" (lower level) with "SB" below (how can there be a subbasement without a basement?). Even one where the underground level was "-1", and the elevators had a recorded voive that announced the floor: "Floor minus one!" just sounds weird.
    Astrobricksiwybs
    Brickchap said:
    The easiest way to remember is the British use ground floor as 0, whereas the Americans use it as floor 1. 

What’s the first floor you build in a one level building? The ground floor :)

Besides, 0 is just a conspiracy by Big Math (Maths for you Brits).
    560HeliportiwybsKungFuKennyim2cre8iv
    Brickchap said:
    @Brickchap, where did you find that MOC? Is it yours?
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 622
    edited October 10
    Brickchap said:

You go up one flight of stairs to reach floor onetwo flights to reach floor two, etc…!

If you're at ground level, well, you're on the ground floor…
    BooTheMightyHamsteralexwilRedbullgivesuwind
    It seems to me that, wherever you start, that's the first! The next is the second, etc.
    AstrobricksFollowsCloselygmonkey76daewoopanchox1
    “0” is the ground itself.
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 76
    edited October 10
    There is no year zero, and there is no floor zero, and there is no kilogram, and there is no meter.  Oh, and we live on the back of a giant turtle and the greatest city in the world is definitely not Ankh-Morpork.
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 76
    But there is a floor 19 and there is a Miss Zarves.  Everyone who dares to call the ground floor the zeroth floor must go to school on the nineteenth floor for an indeterminate term.
    KungFuKennymic27Tkattkhmellymel
    And Pluto is still a planet!
    gmonkey76LinuxBrickie
    @Astrobricks Not sure who made it, I just typed up Lego Postman Pat and found it.
    Astrobricks
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,528
    The hardest floor to find in the US is the 13th floor. 
    560Heliportgmonkey76
    Brickchap said:
    @Astrobricks Not sure who made it, I just typed up Lego Postman Pat and found it.
    Hmm. Seems like it’s attributed to Brickshelf.com on Pinterest, but that site doesn’t easily reveal the origin. 
    And Pluto is still a planet!
    A dwarf one :) 
    Along with Ceres, Haumea, Eris, and Makemake. 
    benbacardi
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 403
    It seems to me that, wherever you start, that's the first! The next is the second, etc.
    One would think. 
    Logic like theirs is why we won two wars against them and needed to bail them out of two more. 

:-D
    gmonkey76
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,855
    I went looking for an explanation of why they're different, and found this:

The answer is simple, a number system that skips zero, like -2, -1, 1, 2 is common to primitive cultures, where more civilized cultures have invented the zero, and would count -2, 1, 0, 1. It just means the US are more primitive than Europe.

😉
    iwybsgratefulnatReesesPiecesMr_CrosseMJeeNLscottdd2bricktuary
    I read the Wikipedia article on Storey, and now my head is spinning :-/
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 130
    ^i went there too. Interesting that the 1st story is different depending on where you are in Vietnam. 
    I went looking for an explanation of why they're different, and found this:

The answer is simple, a number system that skips zero, like -2, -1, 1, 2 is common to primitive cultures, where more civilized cultures have invented the zero, and would count -2, 1, 0, 1. It just means the US are more primitive than Europe.

😉
    No, as I said, we account for the "0" with the ground itself. 0 as an entire floor makes no sense.

And if we're more primitive, you Brits can only blame yourselves.
  • HugeBlueBrickHugeBlueBrick At my PCMember Posts: 27
    Mezzanine floors? I know a building where you can go in, take a lift, walk along a corridor, then a lift down, but you don't end up on the same level you started from.

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,191
    Detroit's Masonic Temple... the world's largest, has 1,038 rooms.  In the main tower block there are 7 floors, each with its' own mezzanine level, for a total of 14 floors. :-O

In the Anno Domini system of year measurements (thanks to the UK's Venerable Bede)... there is no year zero.  January 1, 1BC is one year to the day away from January 1, 1AD.  

SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,247
    ^ My daughter fancies herself clever when people discuss the decade/century/millenia change a year early.

"There's no year zero.  People should be partying like it's December 2000.  Not like '1999'.  Nobody would write a song about partying like it's 1986."

She didn't quite conceptualize the idea there needing to be a year 0 BCE and a year 0 CE.  (The year zero would actually be two years!?!?!?!?)
    -0 and 0
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,247
    -0 and 0
    And every math person's heart just skipped a beat...
    560HeliportBumblepantsAstrobricksFollowsCloselySAMAEL64