Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mirror image building

Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,961
edited September 24 in Building and Techniques
Someone has to have done this. I want to take a stock LEGO set and build a mirror image of it. Does anyone have any tips?
andhe

Comments

• Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,321
    Sounds silly, but use a mirror, look at the mirror not the model.
    andheKungFuKenny
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,346
    My other half built the rereleased winter village toy shop backwards after we were both gifted a copy each. She literally just followed the instructions but mirrored - she did say it was a pita to do and took a long time though.

if you can download the instruction you should be able to flip them with even the most basic design software - some printers will have an option to print in mirror too.
    Russell844
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,725
    It's fairly easy. I made a mirror image of the Greengrocer a good few years ago. It just requires a bit more brain-power and concentration!

^ That's a great idea. Download the PDF, extract the JPGs, mirror them, then recreate the PDF. I can do that for you if you can't.
    panchox1
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,543
    One thing to watch out for is parts that cannot mirror. For example, some doors have only been released in a particular color in the Left direction and not the Right direction mold. I know I have run into this problem when doing a mirror project years ago but I can't remember what set it was.
    Mynattandherd1899
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,321
    Yeah, "YOOVVWAYSTEDYOOOORMUNNEEEE". John looks more like Yoko, perhaps that was intentional...
    Sorry, I'm being mean, John is mostly okay, I can't stand Paul though and the less that's said about Ringo, the better, George is good though. Hmmm, funny that it reflects my feelings about the Beatles in real life!
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBKungFuKennyAstrobricks
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,413
    Mr_Cross said:
    Yeah, "YOOVVWAYSTEDYOOOORMUNNEEEE". John looks more like Yoko, perhaps that was intentional...
    Sorry, I'm being mean, John is mostly okay, I can't stand Paul though and the less that's said about Ringo, the better, George is good though. Hmmm, funny that it reflects my feelings about the Beatles in real life!
    One of them looks like Tupac. I think it's meant to be Paul.
    KungFuKenny
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 463
    One thing to watch out for is parts that cannot mirror. For example, some doors have only been released in a particular color in the Left direction and not the Right direction mold. I know I have run into this problem when doing a mirror project years ago but I can't remember what set it was.
    I mirror built a Parisian Restaurant to go with my regular built one.  I had to mod the refrigerator in the kitchen because of that precise issue (I didn't have the opposite door to use}.  You can't tell from the outside of course, but it is slightly different on the inside.  

I didn't actually use a mirror or anything.  I just placed the elements on the opposite side of where the instructions said they should go (so instead of front left corner, I placed it on the front right corner).  It took a little bit longer than the normal build because I had to double check quite a few things.
    Astrobricks
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 952
    I just did this with one of my #6265 sets, but I probably don't have any useful tips for you as that's a pretty simple set and didn't require too much of anything fancy to do so other than a bit of concentration.
    andhe
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,543
    daewoo said:
    I mirror built a Parisian Restaurant to go with my regular built one.  I had to mod the refrigerator in the kitchen because of that precise issue (I didn't have the opposite door to use}.  You can't tell from the outside of course, but it is slightly different on the inside.  

I didn't actually use a mirror or anything.  I just placed the elements on the opposite side of where the instructions said they should go (so instead of front left corner, I placed it on the front right corner).  It took a little bit longer than the normal build because I had to double check quite a few things.
    Yeah that might have been the one. I think I wanted the stairs on the opposite side for some reason.
    andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,137
    edited September 24
    I mirrored my Diner Modular (because of how I wanted it to fit next to the Detectives Office). I used the mirror and instruction book technique (look at the book in a mirror). Felt that required the least brain power for me as I could see how the build was meant to look. The only issue I had (as I recall) was a couple of wedge plates on the back staircase.

Robin Hood Bricks on YouTube recently mirrored Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes from the new Diagon Alley set by taking it apart and flipping the pieces as he went. So that's another method. 
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,961
    Shib said:
    My other half built the rereleased winter village toy shop backwards after we were both gifted a copy each. She literally just followed the instructions but mirrored - she did say it was a pita to do and took a long time though.

if you can download the instruction you should be able to flip them with even the most basic design software - some printers will have an option to print in mirror too.
    That is the exact set I plan on doing since I own both versions. I should be able to flip the instructions with software I have at work. Great idea!
    Shib
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 129
    I hadn't thought of doors that are only available in one configuration, but I have thought of "wing"-type cut plates. If the set doesn't include the matching plate, you'll have a problem. 

I built 31105: Townhouse Toy Store in mirror image because of how I wanted to attach it to other buildings, and because one side of my shelf is more seen from the room than the other. There were no parts that didn't have a line of symmetry. But for instance if a set had this part and not the matching one, it'd be a problem: https://brickset.com/parts/6253907/right-plate-2x4-w-angle 
    Astrobricks
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,445
    Mr_Cross said:
    Sort of a Beatles Rorschach Test, eh? :)
    Mr_Cross
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    I bought a couple of the modular pet shops - #10218 - and mirror built the town house.  Looks good next to the original.
    Briking said:
    I bought a couple of the modular pet shops - #10218 - and mirror built the town house.  Looks good next to the original.
    That's always been my plan as well.
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 78
    Sounds like a fun building technique.  I think I'll practice with a #497 Galaxy Explorer first and see how it turns out ;)
    560Heliport
    Sounds like a fun building technique.  I think I'll practice with a #497 Galaxy Explorer first and see how it turns out ;)
    If you want a challenge, build it back-to-front ;)
    560Heliport
    For a challenge I built #30358 in its polybag. Reverse-engineered from just the pic on the front, no instructions, only able to see into the bag through the slim unprinted transparent column at the back and having to build through the polybag material. I'm sure its still built in the sealed polybag somewhere as I was so proud of my work.
    KungFuKenny560Heliport
    For a challenge I built #30358 in its polybag. Reverse-engineered from just the pic on the front, no instructions, only able to see into the bag through the slim unprinted transparent column at the back and having to build through the polybag material. I'm sure its still built in the sealed polybag somewhere as I was so proud of my work.
    Did you actually get the visor on the helmet?
    560Heliport
    Did you actually get the visor on the helmet?
    Of course! In fact... if anyone in the UK fancies a crack at doing the same thing, I'll send them a polybag of it (as I seem to have a couple according to Brickset). Pics have to be posted though. Bursting the bag is instant fail, BTW.
    560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,725
    Building in bags is a popular activity at LEGO events. It tends to scratch the parts, though.
    Huw said:
    Building in bags is a popular activity at LEGO events. It tends to scratch the parts, though.
    By the time I was done trying, it would probably be a bag of ABS dust. 
    560Heliport
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 426
    If you're looking to try out building in a bag the Advent Calendar builds are generally pretty easy to do. 

If you're looking to try out building "Half in the bag" avoid technic sets.
    Cymbeline560HeliportAstrobricks
    Now I'm not sure what to do. I found out about a video with instructions for an alternate model of 10249. Now to mirror build or not.

https://youtu.be/-rPVJG8tL30