Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collecting certain parts only

11314151618

Comments

  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,461
    andhe said:
    Seen a lot of these parts popping up on instagram. Trans-green etc drath vader helms. They seem to be coming out of lego factories, but obviously not standard parts so what is it? People doing short runs in random colours after hours?... Or LEGO's secretly way of recovering prototyping costs by selling them on Bricklink?
    Apparently the Mexico factory is getting an extra night-shift of people making all sorts of stuff in the official molds. Much of this is purportedly coming from a few local shops in that area with resellers from California and Texas driving down and scooping it up for ebay
    Sounds shady to me.
  • FodderFodder AustraliaMember Posts: 321
    It's always great to see a big monofigs collection, it is much nicer than mine. I remember"discovering" then myself, just happened to have a plain black head and torso and legs on my desk and stuck them altogether and they looked great. Then I made another 4 or 5 then found out other people had been doing the same.
    I have a single white fig pieced together from snowmen from several old advent calendars. I don’t want to start collecting monofigs, so I live vicariously in this thread.
    BumblepantsGibbo1959KungFuKenny
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,104
    Did they do a snowman with minifig legs? I'm not really into City calendars but I thought they normally brick build the snowmen.
    KungFuKenny
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,461
    Impressive young Kenny :)
    KungFuKenny
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 427
    Most impressive.
    KungFuKenny
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,329
    ...but you are not a Jedi yet.
    KungFuKenny
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,977
    Nitpick: "The Force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet."
    panchox1
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 656
    Nitpick: "The Force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet."

    Nitpick: there’s no evidence of you collecting certain parts only in this post 😉
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,977
    edited September 27
    DeMontes said:
    Nitpick: "The Force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet."

    Nitpick: there’s no evidence of you collecting certain parts only in this post 😉
    I posted this on April 18th:😀
    KungFuKennyAstrobricksmak0137
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,461
    absolut3 said:
    Enjoying everyones collections! Here's my collection of trans-clear minifigures.

    Nice!
    Nitpick: only one of those is trans clear :)
    560Heliportmak0137WesterBricksmsanders
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,857
    edited September 27
    absolut3 said:
    Enjoying everyones collections! Here's my collection of trans-clear minifigures.

    Nice!
    Nitpick: only one of those is trans clear :)

    Hmm, and all of those are completely LEGO, and typical production parts (not some guy making them in a LEGO factory after hours to hawk on eBay)? If so I need to get back to cultivating my collection
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,461
    absolut3 said:
    Enjoying everyones collections! Here's my collection of trans-clear minifigures.

    Nice!
    Nitpick: only one of those is trans clear :)

    Hmm, and all of those are completely LEGO, and typical production parts (not some guy making them in a LEGO factory after hours to hawk on eBay)? If so I need to get back to cultivating my collection
    See @Bumblepants comment from September 19 on this thread.
    KungFuKenny
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 403
    I'm gonna have to redo my Classic Space/Futuron Display box. I forgot he was coming out this month. 
    Mr_CrossKungFuKennyWatfordScottyM
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,272
    MrJackson said:
    I'm gonna have to redo my Classic Space/Futuron Display box. I forgot he was coming out this month. 
    I had almost forgotten as well! It was a nice surprise when I got a notification from Amazon to say that it was going to be delivered today. :-)
    Mr_Cross
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,329
    I refuse to pay £20 for it. I want that figure so bad.
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsJudgeChuck
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,272
    It does come with a free book, you know! ;-))
    KungFuKennyMr_CrossandhePeteM
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,425
    @JudgeChuck
    Amazon here says it isn’t out til October 13th and the current price is $36- I hope that comes down pretty quickly once the book is released.  What do you think of the book itself?
    Mr_Crosspxchris
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,329
    ooh, yeah, some page shots would be nice ;-)
    KungFuKenny
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,272
    @Mr_Cross Page shots??!! LOL! Actually, honestly, you can get a good idea of the book from the images on the Amazon website. ;-)

    @KungFuKenny I've only had a quick flick through, but it's what you'd expect from a DK book of this nature. It's nice, but it's not an encyclopaedia of every Lego minifigure, of course. It does cover a good range of figures though and the picture quality is high.
    If you already have the previous version of this book (which I do), you'll know what to expect, except that one did come with 3 figures (a townsperson, robber and SW Stormtrooper). Of course, the old one was published in 2013, so this is updated with entries covering the last 7 years.
    KungFuKenny560HeliportMr_Crossandhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,143
    Mr_Cross said:
    I refuse to pay £20 for it. I want that figure so bad.
    How about £15 on bricklink 😆
    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,329
    Don't rise to the bait, don't rise to the bait.

    Oh, GRRR! you know what I mean! (stamps feet).

    andhe said:
    How about £15 on bricklink 😆
    ...and it's in Ohio, not including postage. (more stamping) :-P

    In about six weeks you know it will be half that. I'd happily pay £7 for it in the Works... because that is what lies in its future.

    Also, I kinda need at least three or four of them ;-)
    benbacardiKungFuKenny
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,143
    Yeah shipping would put it over that going by transatlantic costs at the moment. It was also available in a recent lugbulk so I amazed more haven't found their way onto bricklink... But perhaps its harder now Lego own it... 
    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 546
    andhe said:
    Yeah shipping would put it over that going by transatlantic costs at the moment. It was also available in a recent lugbulk so I amazed more haven't found their way onto bricklink... But perhaps its harder now Lego own it... 
    Would that affect things? I know they've stopped custom brick makers from listing product on there, but would they be preventing individual items like this?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,104
    Bobflip said:
    andhe said:
    Yeah shipping would put it over that going by transatlantic costs at the moment. It was also available in a recent lugbulk so I amazed more haven't found their way onto bricklink... But perhaps its harder now Lego own it... 
    Would that affect things? I know they've stopped custom brick makers from listing product on there, but would they be preventing individual items like this?
    No, anything genuine LEGO that is retail released will be allowed.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 546
    Yeah, that was my thinking
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,143
    edited October 4
    Yeah I was just thinking that technically stuff bought via lugbulk (and AFOL days etc) shouldn't be re-sold. But no idea how they would prove it other than crossreferencing sellers ID and that would probably stray into breach of privacy etc. Was just a thought, I'm often intrigued at how certain stuff ends up on bricklink in bulk (build a fig items etc). 
    560HeliportAstrobricks
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,855
    Some Lego stores (before covid) allowed buyers to get, for example, 15 torsos or 15 accessories in the build-a-fig bar, which works out at about 33p each. I've done it before for a few bits I wanted multiples of (baseball torsos and bats mainly).

    I guess some stores might turn a blind eye to people doing that for a dozen or so packs, therefore getting hundreds of a single element.

    Alternatively the only other way I can think of is if boxes or bags of elements are walking out the back door...
    andhe
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl JedburghMember Posts: 172
    More!








    I like the flowers  - collection "goals", as the young ones say. 

    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny560HeliportGothamConstructionCoSwitchfoot55khmellymel
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,425
    A little more research - BrickLink alternately uses "Sky Blue" and "Aqua" for the color I'm missing... Brickset calls it "Dove Blue"... BrickOwl also calls it "Aqua"... all of them still only show it in the Snow Queen set... the search continues...
    560Heliportandhe
  • Brixfan02Brixfan02 USAMember Posts: 204
    A new addition to the collection!

    There are 2 impostors among us
    JudgeChuckBumblepants
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,143
    edited October 5
    Found where all the orange spacemen are @Mr_Cross




    Mr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,104
    Someone on BL has been showing similar quantities, from a LUGbulk order.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 876
    A little more research - BrickLink alternately uses "Sky Blue" and "Aqua" for the color I'm missing... Brickset calls it "Dove Blue"... BrickOwl also calls it "Aqua"... all of them still only show it in the Snow Queen set... the search continues...
    That set can include the 1x2 in either Sky Blue or Aqua - it was still being produced in the year when Aqua was retired I believe, so the later versions will have the Sky Blue - I think I'm right in saying that both versions of the 1x2 only come in this one set, which makes getting them that bit trickier. I've parted out 3 of this set over the years and only one of them had the Aqua version. The two colours are noticeably different - Aqua looks really washed out, almost like a green tinted version of the current Light Aqua, while Sky Blue is, to me at least, a pastel version of Medium Blue.
    KungFuKennyBobflip
  • browny333browny333 USAMember Posts: 49
    I just wondered if there are collectors who collect only a specific subset of LEGO, like printed tiles, or animals. I know there are many part 3001 collectors (one of which being me) but never came across collectors like I'm describing. Was just thinking of collecting all printed 2x2 tiles...
    They may be present but currently I don't know such people
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,104
    bandit778 said:
    CCC said:
    Someone on BL has been showing similar quantities, from a LUGbulk order.
    Smart move, selling LUGBulk items on a LEGO owned selling platform.
    The expression 'biting the hand that feeds you' springs to mind.
    When they start banning LUG's from participation because of this, the seller can give themselves a huge pat on the back.
    They weren't selling, just showing in the forum. But I imagine they will get drip fed for sale soon.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 656
    browny333 said:
    I just wondered if there are collectors who collect only a specific subset of LEGO, like printed tiles, or animals. I know there are many part 3001 collectors (one of which being me) but never came across collectors like I'm describing. Was just thinking of collecting all printed 2x2 tiles...
    They may be present but currently I don't know such people
    There are some showing their collections of these very things in this thread!
    560HeliportMr_Cross
  • browny333browny333 USAMember Posts: 49
    andhe said:
    Seen a lot of these parts popping up on instagram. Trans-green etc drath vader helms. They seem to be coming out of lego factories, but obviously not standard parts so what is it? People doing short runs in random colours after hours?... Or LEGO's secretly way of recovering prototyping costs by selling them on Bricklink?
    Apparently the Mexico factory is getting an extra night-shift of people making all sorts of stuff in the official molds. Much of this is purportedly coming from a few local shops in that area with resellers from California and Texas driving down and scooping it up for ebay
    Sounds shady to me.
    exactly it sounds something fishy
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,425
    edited October 6
    CCC said:
    bandit778 said:
    CCC said:
    Someone on BL has been showing similar quantities, from a LUGbulk order.
    Smart move, selling LUGBulk items on a LEGO owned selling platform.
    The expression 'biting the hand that feeds you' springs to mind.
    When they start banning LUG's from participation because of this, the seller can give themselves a huge pat on the back.
    They weren't selling, just showing in the forum. But I imagine they will get drip fed for sale soon.
    The one seller in the US has 18 for sale at $20 apiece... I think I’ll wait for the book!

    edit: He has 16 now, so someone is buying them at that price...
    560Heliportandhe
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 549
    Nice! Are they all 'pure', I know that some people remove printing to get to the plain colours underneath.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,425
    Nice! Are they all 'pure', I know that some people remove printing to get to the plain colours underneath.
    Nope— a lot of those colors don’t come unprinted...on single-sided prints I have been known to “cheat” and just turn the printed side around back to avoid having to mess with removing the printing...
    JudgeChuckbricktuary
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,313
    edited October 21
    I don’t know if anyone keeps track of it but complete ‘purist’ monofigs must be few and far between (as in, the torso, legs and head don’t have to have printing removed from them). Be interesting to know which ones were possible though. Unprinted torsos are usually just for ‘sandwich board’ minifigs nowadays.

    The Harry Potter advent calendar last year had a pearl gold monofig so that’s a definite!
    JudgeChuckGothamConstructionCowardm
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,104
    I don’t know if anyone keeps track of it but complete ‘purist’ monofigs must be few and far between (as in, the torso, legs and head don’t have to have printing removed from them). Be interesting to know which ones were possible though. Unprinted torsos are usually just for ‘sandwich board’ minifigs nowadays.

    The Harry Potter advent calendar last year had a pearl gold monofig so that’s a definite!
    The I in the VIP set (all red minifigure) is also an official monochrome figure.

    I'm a bit behind as I haven't done any for probably a year but I think there was at least 20 or so purist ones possible when I last looked.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,855
    I have a spreadsheet of all possible colours (and all parts available in all colours), but I don't keep track of whether it's possible to get them plain or whether you need to 'wipe' them.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.