Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10153 9v train motor engine disassembly

bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 96
Does anyone know how to pry off the back cover on the black box of a 9v train motor Engine box.  I can’t find a video for this anywhere.  I need to replace the motor inside.

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,638
    You can't get a new replacement motor for it. You could get a used motor but that motor would come from another motor anyway. It's better to buy a used motor assembly from Ebay or BL. There is a video on youtube to do what you want, I'll look to see if I can find it. 
    Ok, too many train videos on youtube to mess with this. I saw the pf conversion for the 9v motor, it's been so long since I saw that that I had forgotten it could be done. I still say it's easier to buy a used motor. But if your heart is set on it.......

On the bottom of a 9v train motor there are many small tabs that hold the top and bottom pieces together. Simply get enough tooth picks and insert them one at a time into the tabbed areas to release them. After you get all of the tabs released pry the bottom from the top. I have done this before to see if I could do it, it can be done. If you have trouble, post again and I will post a picture. 
    madforLEGO
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 96
    I will have to try the toothpick idea to pry it open.  I will report back the results or if I get stuck.  I also have to figure out which power function motor to buy.
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 548
    edited August 2020
    It's likely just dirty brushes/comutator in the motor iself. You can open it and clean them with a cotton swab and alcohol, depending on the type of motor it'll probably be easier than getting into the assembly itself was (unless the mech is already exposed inside).

If you get it open, inspect and show photos, if it's just dirt causing the issue you won't need any parts.
    It's likely just dirty brushes/comutator in the motor iself. You can open it and clean them with a cotton swab and alcohol, depending on the type of motor it'll probably be easier than getting into the assembly itself was (unless the mech is already exposed inside).

If you get it open, inspect and show photos, if it's just dirt causing the issue you won't need any parts.
    That may may be it.  It tries to go and stutters.
    edited August 2020
    It looks like a piece of plastic has broken free from the side of the motor box and is putting a force on a wheel this would explain the stuttering motion.  Now to try to fix it.
    edited August 2020
    I’m at a loss of how to pry this thing open.
    If you've cleared the broken plastic part from the wheels, the probable cause of the stutter is that the motor hasn't run in a long time. Simply place the motor on the tracks and turn the power all the way in one direction and move the motor in the same direction around the tracks and it should stop stuttering in about three revolutions on a full circle of track. There's probably nothing wrong with the motor other than sitting for too long. 
    madforLEGO
    I am having a hard tim clearing the broken plastic piece.  I need to get the back cover off to snap it back in but I can’t figure out how to pry it open.
    I'll post a picture tonight after work. 
    oldtodd33 said:
    I'll post a picture tonight after work. 
    Thanks!
    edited September 2020
    Here you are. Not as I remember but it works. No actual good working Lego motors were harmed to take these pictures. Forgot to mention, don't pry from the center, only the sides. The plastic is too soft and you will rip a hole through the middle if you pry from the middle. 
    KungFuKennymadforLEGOstlux
    oldtodd33 said:
    Here you are. Not as I remember but it works. No actual good working Lego motors were harmed to take these pictures. Forgot to mention, don't pry from the center, only the sides. The plastic is too soft and you will rip a hole through the middle if you pry from the middle.  

That worked.  I was able to get the cover off and glue the broken piece back in place.  I tested it and it works.  Thanks for your help.
    oldtodd33madforLEGOpanchox1