Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Burnt out with collecting?

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,494
    Of course, there’s always the “Friends Star” version of the Death Star 🙂
    560HeliportKungFuKennygmonkey76msandersmithridatecatwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,153

Huw said:
    In my experience there is no point hoarding large sets to build later because (a) you'll never find the time and (b) there is always something better being released.

I dunno, I like the idea I have a Cafe Corner and Green Grocer to build (along with other mods) but probably because I'm a collector and do not want to be without a mod in the series.
    KungFuKenny
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034

Huw said:
    In my experience there is no point hoarding large sets to build later because (a) you'll never find the time and (b) there is always something better being released.

I dunno, I like the idea I have a Cafe Corner and Green Grocer to build (along with other mods) but probably because I'm a collector and do not want to be without a mod in the series.
    A sealed Café Corner could be sold to fund a lot of current sets! But, yeah I get it as the same could be said for my two open Cafè Corners. It's hard to part with a set in a series.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,771

Huw said:

That is how I felt with CMF until I broke the habit. I wonder what the break point is for modulars, when collectors realise they don't need them all. Could Lego produce a pile of crap modular and it still sell, just because collectors feel the need to be complete. 
    andheFollowsCloselyFizyx
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,133
    CCC said:
     Could Lego produce a pile of crap modular and it still sell, just because collectors feel the need to be complete. 

Yes.  Yes they could.  And as the line grows, I think that only becomes more and more true.
    CCCgmonkey76
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    autolycus said:
    klatu003 said:
    I was relieved when the Fairground series ended. 
    Who wants to tell them?

Well, I did explain that I am old... That is some faint labeling.   Haunted House feels more like a Disney take on a Hunted House.  I wonder if there is going to be a continuation that looks more like a theme park than the original county fair/beach boardwalk vibe.

F

I haven't been following LEGO releases or Brickset, so I didn't know that this wasn't just a new larger version of 10228 Haunted House.  I'm now placing my fingers in my ears and going *LA_LA_LA" and hoping my declining memory will forget about this set.  Hummm.... how does it look next to Disney Castle....

560Heliportpanchox1klintonKungFuKennyFizyxautolycusbrickventuresmithridate
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 426
    Fizyx said:
    CCC said:
     Could Lego produce a pile of crap modular and it still sell, just because collectors feel the need to be complete. 

Yes.  Yes they could.  And as the line grows, I think that only becomes more and more true.
    I think we’re already there, aren’t we. Here’s looking at you Corner Garage. A backward step from the previous Modulars IMO, Bookshop was a bit better but spoilt by splitting in two; could have been a much better bookshop over whole ground floor with better residential spread over uppers. Still bought them both though.

Been following this thread with interest as I’ve gone off the boil recently, and lots of the comments above ring true. TBH I think I’ve just got too much Lego to appreciate why I enjoyed getting back into it just 6 years ago. Once I finish my ongoing deconstruction and reboxing  exercise (now onto my oldest Modulars) I need to have a good look at my unbuilt stash and decide what I really want and what I just bought on impulse. In my mind I tell myself I can just focus on CMFs and Modulars, but there’s also Winter Village plus the Ideas ones I like, and then stuff like Ninjago City, random Hidden Side sets, even Harry Potter for goodness sake, and I’m over 60 and never read the books.

Maybe I should just sell it all and buy the motorbike my wife won’t let me have.
    vanvonfullKungFuKennyFizyxcozysuperfunkmithridate
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,953
    edited August 2020
    Gibbo1959 said:

Maybe I should just sell it all and buy the motorbike my wife won’t let me have.
    She can’t dislike #10269 that much surely? ;)
    msandersFizyxGibbo1959maaaaaaagmonkey76mithridate
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,650
    PeteM said:
    Huw said:

This is a level of wisdom I am only just reaching! 
    I can acknowledge this on a logical level but the prospect of having to pay two or three times RRP once the set is retired is a strong incentive to buy ahead of time.
    vanvonfullflightriskKungFuKennyFizyxPeteMgmonkey76
  • flightriskflightrisk USAMember Posts: 163

I can acknowledge this on a logical level but the prospect of having to pay two or three times RRP once the set is retired is a strong incentive to buy ahead of time.
    I’m burnt out also and am only buying to make sure the set is gotten at a good price.   Just waiting on the new Harry Potter sets and the Beatles artwork.   Might get the piano if there’s ever a deal to be found and the reviews are decent.  
    But my backlog of sets to build is cringeable. I’m guessing cringeable is a word since auto correct left it alone.  Anyway the great thing for me is that nobody cares.  There couldn’t be a better time to be burnt out - my family is healthy, I’m in a hammock reading this forum, my dog is snoring right beside me, the weather’s fantastic and all my work is done for the day.  I couldn’t feel more blessed.  The shut down in Mexico gave my wallet a break too.  But that’s gonna change here real soon.  And my backlog is going to get even larger.  I don’t mind that either though because winter will come and there’s nothing like having a fresh box of LEGO to open and build in front of a fireplace.  

560Heliportpanchox1drdavewatfordbricktuarybrickventurescozysuperfunksnowhitie
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 586
    I've definitely slowed down quite a bit. From now on I'm sticking to collecting from older themes, I still have some Atlantis and Power Miners to pick up. And I will continue to collect Ninjago (but not Legacy, I already have all of those). There are a couple of random minifigures that I want to pick up, but I'll get those from Bricklink. My kids and I went through all of our sets and threw a bunch of sets into the freebuild bins. We have a bunch more to do that with, but the kids wanted to build them first before we did that (around 1/4 - 1/2 of our collection have never been built). And I still need to MOC all of the Nexo Knights stuff in the Book of Monsters, but I haven't figured out a good way to make the minifigures that I would need.
    KungFuKenny
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 869
    klatu003 said:
    autolycus said:
    klatu003 said:
    I was relieved when the Fairground series ended. 
    Who wants to tell them?

Well, I did explain that I am old... That is some faint labeling.   Haunted House feels more like a Disney take on a Hunted House.  I wonder if there is going to be a continuation that looks more like a theme park than the original county fair/beach boardwalk vibe.

F
    I haven't been following LEGO releases or Brickset, so I didn't know that this wasn't just a new larger version of 10228 Haunted House.  I'm now placing my fingers in my ears and going *LA_LA_LA" and hoping my declining memory will forget about this set.  Hummm.... how does it look next to Disney Castle....

I'll be very interested to see what aesthetic direction they go with future Fairground Collection sets. This one absolutely feels similar to Disney's Tower of Terror from the outside with a bunch of Easter eggs to Lego's past on the inside. Will it be a sign of a change in direction or was it just a one-off design decision? Only time will tell to those of us without access to the inner halls of Lego HQ! 
    MCNwakeboardklatu003
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 588
    My actual issue isn't burnout, it's that I've run out of room to keep stuff built.  I need more shelves in the short term and a larger place in the long.
    560HeliportFizyxautolycusMCNwakeboard1265
  • SnizzlebuttsSnizzlebutts MelbourneMember Posts: 62
    I’ve got the opposite of burn out actually. I can’t find enough sets I’d like to build. I wish I had a backlog of sets because there’s definitely a lot of free time being in lockdown.
    wardm
  • WrecknbuildWrecknbuild NetherlandsMember Posts: 4
    edited August 2020
    Good topic in this thread. Starting mid seventies, and returning around 2000, I end up buying too much. However, after buying I usually start realising how much I really want a set. If I decide I can do without, it will almost always sell for more than what I bought it for. This justifies buying whatever I like.
    Time, space and the spouse are limiting, and by now also the amount of expensive and attractive sets that are being released. 
    Once bought the Cafe Corner, but sold it since it became so expensive that I couldn't get myself to open it. Now looking for a nice used one...
    Bumblepantscozy
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    daewoo said:
    My actual issue isn't burnout, it's that I've run out of room to keep stuff built.  I need more shelves in the short term and a larger place in the long.
    Don't we all.  My collection has gotten too large even with me not collecting as nearly as much as I did in the past.  I'm one to buy and not build, but looking to cure that disease. I'll pick up something from time to time, but I have no more room.

What part of Texas you from?
    SumoLego
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 541
    Burnt-out, broke, what's next, if I get this where does it go, if I build i will I regret opening it, if I dont buy it now will it retire too soon (Y-Wing re-release), will they make another one next year that's better, is there more important things I should be spending my money on

All this and more, has made me question a lot and I think, being out of work from Jun to Nov last year and a very bad time for me personally in 2019, think it helped me realise a little bit what an addictcion it had become and also how worn out it had made me. Reading these posts has been interesting:

you dont need all the sets
    its not a competition
    another will come out

Yup, I get all that, but, when you have elements of OCD, are a completeist or perfectionist or are addicted, then it's very hard to stop.

The point about building Lego in the current climate is also interesting. Yes, it may have made staying in better, maybe you bonded with your family better over it. I was thinking, im not going to build anything, in case I have to sell it, who knows if I'll be made redundant again.

I think events fro me in 2019 and now in 2020 has made me think alot about things. I love my football club, Spurs, but the whole scenario has made me question my season ticket. I haven't missed the football at all.

Am I burnt-out with collecting/buying Lego? Yes, OP, i think I am, but I think it's a combination of things and Legos constant churn of repeats, certainly amongst SW cr*p, but also maybe me realising, I'll A, never be able to display it all, and B, why do I need a loft full of boxes, Im never likely to build?

I say all this, but did just buy the Star Destroyer lol, but, I do plan to put that on display prominently, with the new MiLf (that are still boxed from Dec 2017!!!!!!!)

I am, in a way, hoping it all passes, whether I do stop, or, do get back into it. But one thing is for sure, if the prices continue like they are with Lego, it'll likely be the former.
    flightriskmsandersandheMr_Cross
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 123
    I've found that the current line of sets available doesn't help anyone that is feeling burned/overwhelmed by this hobby.  The current August/September catalogue arrived this past week and I think I was halfway through it before I saw any items that I am interested in.  

The Nintendo licensed products while appealing to some, just don't do it for me and probably don't warrant the 10 pages of coverage in the catalogue.  A couple of more pages of some very expensive creator and technic sets doesn't help.   Even though there is a repetativeness to the Star Wars lineup, it is still one of the few themes that I give a closer look and has sets that I am more likely to add to my collection.
    andhe
    @colay:
    Sorry to hear things have been kind of rough for you.   I pray that will change soon. 

As far as your approach to the topic at hand...

“you dont need all the sets.”
    - I totally agree.  

“its not a competition”
    I agree with that also.  No one in my life understands my LEGO obsession, much less wants to compete.  I’m lucky there.  

“another will come out”
    Other sets will for sure come out.   But not all will be reproduced.  For instance, decent Ideas sets I like are gotten as soon as possible.   Modulars also, although I haven’t built the last few NIB sets I’ve purchased.  I think I’ve only built a couple NIB purchases in about a year.  There’s too many pre-owned sets being sold at good prices taking up my time.  To be honest though, breaking open a NIB set is so much more enjoyable than breaking down, inventorying, sorting and building a pre-owned set.  I’m ready to break the seals on something.  But I won’t.  I’ll just keep buying new sets and hope the same set comes up for sale pre-owned and cheap.  That way I know for sure there’s at least one in my inventory and I won’t have to pay a retired set price for it later on.  It takes up a lot of space but it’s worth it for me financially.  

colay560HeliportMr_Cross
    @flightrisk Thanks dude. It's all good, I think the whole scenario right now doesn't help matters, but, as I said, it has put things into perspective.

I'm sure it will all pass, but I have defo slowed down on collecting for sure.

flightrisk
    SumoLego said:
    @colay said:
    you dont need all the sets
    its not a competition
    Excellent.  One less competitor...

LOL

just another 63 billion to go LMAO
    Mr_Crossgmonkey76drdavewatfordSumoLegopxchris
    @drdavewatford.  I get your point.  I’ve found a few early Winter Village sets that I enjoyed very much.  They’re prized possessions.  But that’s older sets, I was referring to newer sets.   For instance, I’ve recently rebuilt the Roller Coaster, Ewok Village, 1989 Batmobile, and my own Rexcelsior.   Thousands of pieces to sort through and my family has banned me from using the dining room table.  So, I built a little 3x4 table on wheels that can be moved out of their way when not in use.  It’s too small for all the pieces and kind of a pain.  Just not enough space. 

Rebuilding the Roller Coaster wasn’t quite so bad, having built one already.  The other 3 though - sheesh!   Ewok Village almost did me in.   With every step it was like 20 minutes trying to find a needle in a hay stack then 2 minutes getting to snap the pieces in place.  I’ve tried different methods of sorting but haven’t figured a good system out yet.  Got lucky last week though.  I snagged a pre-owned Simpson’s House cheap and it was easy to breakdown and rebuild.  

My next plan is to build a table on wheels with slide out drawers w/separate compartments.  
    Hopefully it will be finished before I purchase a pre-owned ISD.   

Do you mind sharing a link to your blog?  I could use some good therapeutic reading.  

drdavewatford
    @drdavewatford.  I get your point.  I’ve found a few early Winter Village sets that I enjoyed very much.  They’re prized possessions.  But that’s older sets, I was referring to newer sets.
    Yep, makes sense - if we're talking current sets then my preference would always be a MISB copy.
    Do you mind sharing a link to your blog?  I could use some good therapeutic reading.
    http://gimmelego.blogspot.com
    KungFuKennygmonkey76
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,221
    The added bonus is that if a MISB set is old and valuable some people feel guilty about cracking it open, but there's no such guilt with a pre-owned, used example.

And those people are just a bit mad, imho. I will never understand that sort of 'dilemma'. If I've purchased something, it's only true value is my enjoyment of it. I'm never going to try and sell it (and if I were, it would imply dire financial straits wherein I'd be in no position to wait out a high rolling buyer). Usually, if I'm inclined to be rid of something, it goes to the charity shoppe, and they accept loose sets as eagerly as sealed ones. Feeling like something I want to use is 'off limits' because of it's after market value just seems like the surest way to suck all of the joy out of the hobby. Everything is more fun without adding unnecessary crippling guilt to the mix. :)
    drdavewatfordMr_CrossJudgeChuck560Heliportiwybsgmonkey76pxchrisbrickventures
    klinton said:
    The added bonus is that if a MISB set is old and valuable some people feel guilty about cracking it open, but there's no such guilt with a pre-owned, used example.

And those people are just a bit mad, imho.
    That depends entirely on personal circumstances IMHO.

For example, I bought a MISB 10181 Eiffel Tower back in 2010 and didn't get round to building it. A MISB copy was recently sold on Bricklink for more than £1,250, and there are no MISB examples currently available over there for less than £1,000. Used examples are selling for considerably less, on average about half as much.

Similar story with 10196 Grand Carousel - it cost £179.99 back in 2010 but recent MISB sales on Bricklink were between £1K and £1.5K, used sales about half as much.

Looking at the real-life examples above, that's a lot of cash to kiss goodbye if money's tight. I'm extremely grateful that I'm in a position to crack open my sealed 10181 or 10196 if I fancy building them, but I'm mindful that not everybody is that lucky. We are talking LEGO sets, after all - for many it'd be madness to open them....
    FizyxKungFuKennycolay
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,953
    edited August 2020
    I open 99.9% of the non-polybag/GWP sets I buy - I get zero enjoyment out of seeing a sealed box on a shelf or in storage. It even pains me that I haven’t built my Inside Tour Tree of Creativity but that’s probably the only MISB set I own that’s worth a large amount of money - even after getting diluted by the separate and very similar Lego House tree set that still frustrates me a little to this day.

Depends on how much money a set’s worth really - I bought Dwarves Mine MISB in the last year, opened it and built it, adding to my Fantasy Castle collection. But it’s worth was a fairly modest 3 figures - not the 4 figures of some of the sets being talked about here! When you’re “wasting” hundreds and hundreds, or even thousands of pounds opening a box, it would be pretty offputting - but I don’t find myself in that situation.
    560HeliportdrdavewatfordFizyxKungFuKennypxchris
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,568
    I have maybe 20 sets that I haven't opened- yet. Half a dozen Chima sets, about a dozen City starter sets and SW battlepacks, all bought on clearance, and all duplicates of sets I've opened and built; and the Halloween Witch and Scarecrow Brickheadz, which are my "emergency reserve" MISB sets for if I really, really feel a need to build brand new, pristine LEGO some day- I have two cats, so nothing stays clean for long.
    flightrisk
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,220
    colay said:
    just another 63 billion to go LMAO
    I am very patient.  And most of them are amateurs!
    KungFuKennydrdavewatfordcolayFizyxdavetheoxygenmanandhe
    @drdavewatford -Thanks.  The weather’s back to being great again.  I look fwd to kicking back outside with a good read.
    klinton said:
    And those people are just a bit mad, imho. I will never understand that sort of 'dilemma'. If I've purchased something, it's only true value is my enjoyment of it. 
     I have many sets that will never be opened. Mostly Comic-Con sets.  Also the Batpod, all the Brickheadz (except Nonnie),  #4002016 - Employee gift 50 Years on Track. I actually have 2 of those unopened.  I forgot about that little jewel. Great!  I know what I’m building next!  Thanks klinton.  Maybe my burn out is finally over.  
     Still tho, there’s quite a few that will not be built.  Not by me in my lifetime anyway. 
    It gives me great joy to see those sets still mint.  Before this pandemic I would usually get 2 of a set that I really liked.  The nicer the box art, the better.  The weirdest NIB sets I’ve collected are the Star Wars constraction figures.  Got them all, will never build one.   It’s not been a problem duplicating sets until now.  Except the batpod. I should have gotten those parts long ago.  
    drdavewatford
    klinton said:

And those people are just a bit mad, imho.
    That depends entirely on personal circumstances IMHO.

For example, I bought a MISB 10181 Eiffel Tower back in 2010 and didn't get round to building it. A MISB copy was recently sold on Bricklink for more than £1,250, and there are no MISB examples currently available over there for less than £1,000. Used examples are selling for considerably less, on average about half as much.

Similar story with 10196 Grand Carousel - it cost £179.99 back in 2010 but recent MISB sales on Bricklink were between £1K and £1.5K, used sales about half as much.

Looking at the real-life examples above, that's a lot of cash to kiss goodbye if money's tight. I'm extremely grateful that I'm in a position to crack open my sealed 10181 or 10196 if I fancy building them, but I'm mindful that not everybody is that lucky. We are talking LEGO sets, after all - for many it'd be madness to open them....
    You're looking at it all wrong, mate. That's not money you're 'kissing goodbye'. That's money you've saved by buying it when you did. Sure, you could sell it. Or, you can actually enjoy it, knowing you don't have to pay crazy after market prices.
    Perspective is key.
    560Heliportiwybsgmonkey76SumoLegoGothamConstructionCo
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 520
    edited August 2020
    colay said:

I love my football club, Spurs, but the whole scenario has made me question my season ticket. I haven't missed the football at all.

I too have not missed football, but i am willing to bet that like me you have renewed your season ticket. At least Lego are producing some quality product unlike our lilywhites.
    colaydvw2
    brickedin said:
    colay said:

I love my football club, Spurs, but the whole scenario has made me question my season ticket. I haven't missed the football at all.

I too have not missed football, but i am willing to bet that like me you have renewed your season ticket. At least Lego are producing some quality product unlike our lilywhites.

LOL, and yes, I did. Only because, I know it will pass and only because, as I was out of work last year and didn't go, I accumulated  so much credit, it didn't 'cost' me anything as what they wanted was in My Account, and then some! :)

But also, I know lots are fed up and some haven't, but I have a ST since 1995 and no way Im giving it up easily, as who knows when you'll ever get one again. But, saying that, I think a lot of people are re-thinking

KungFuKennydvw2
    klinton said:
    That's money you've saved by buying it when you did.

Perspective is key.
    The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural... from a certain point of view.
    gmonkey76BumblepantsdrdavewatfordSAMAEL64
    ...a certain point of view???
    gmonkey76BumblepantsSumoLego
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    I would not say that I am burnt out, but I have basically stopped buying new sets. There comes, for me anyway, a point where you have built enough sets. I do make a bricklink purchase every few months for new pieces, or old pieces that I am lacking. But I have lost interest in official sets. I still need to buy this year's modular to keep that series in complete state.
  • HenkdeVriesHenkdeVries NetherlandsMember Posts: 86
    For me the pandemic/lockdown had the opposite effect, less time to build due to work and kids (home school and no day care) left me with very little time. I did still buy new stuff, but I started to enjoy it less. Recently I bought and built the Resistance Y-wing but I also have the UCS version, so the regular build was less enjoyable as the UCS one, so a bit of regret there so I need to learn to accept that cheap is not a good reason to buy, but then I saw the Resistance A-wing for a good price and went ahead, having just completed the UCS A-wing... :S

Late last year I took over a friends collection and I really want to get started on sorting the lot, build or rebuild those sets and see what is sellable (a few train sets that do not interest me and some other stuff) but the main problems are time and space. My attic served as workspace and Lego room but my partner also needed a work from home space, so I just moved all Lego aside for her and have not been able to do much with it since. I'm running out of display space and my wish list keeps on growing, too much nice large sets I would like to have, like the Treehouse, Stranger Things house, Jurassic Park gate for example, but as is I have had to put the Barracuda Bay in the window sill, which is far from ideal.  I've got some reorganising to do, hopefully soon, and I hope that will bring back the spark that the hobby used to give me!

Well this has been therapeutic, thanks! ;-)
    KungFuKennypreverecozycolayGigglebyte
    ...a certain point of view???
    Yes, it's a mixed metaphor.
    560HeliportFizyxgmonkey76
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    OP's thoughts mirror mine very closely.  In the middle of a longer distance move, and I'm really burnt out with all the empty boxes, back log of sets, thought of re-assembling at the new house, etc.  I still love LEGO and always will, but at some point these collections just get to be too much like work. 

I've scaled back to modulars and Idea sets that strike my fancy. 
    SumoLegoFollowsCloselygmonkey76
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 685
    I'm about to dismantle everything, get rid of shelves & call it a day.
    SumoLego
  • SnailSnail AustriaMember Posts: 1
    edited August 2020
    partially i'm fed up at the moment, that's true.

I'm not primarily a collector but more of a builder, but i tend to like "complete" things when the opportunity arises.
    I also don't do MOCs because that would mean to mix all the parts and i'm quite afraid of that (it's 200.000 parts in 500+ sets).
    And i don't exhibit my collection, there are always like 5 sets built, the rest is broken down for re-build now and then. We are settled down, no move ever planned, so space or weight is not really an issue.
    Corona didn't affect me directly – i didn't have to change my lifestyle, nor did i experience a hard financial hit so far (but there is more uncertainty in the long run, so buying really expensive sets makes me think four times now instead of twice).

I came back to lego around 2013, after my leave around 1995, but started with technic exclusively – Unimog, Volvo, AROCs, ... getting the highlights i missed 2nd-hand (which was fun to hunt), and stopped again with BWE actually (with big red being a late attempt to revive the spirit, but no ...). Technic has become so wanting to model buinding without looking really spot on good, that it didn't appeal to me anymore. Going to powered-up for me has sealed that chapter for good.

with my sons growing into the lego age, i started around 2015 to look into city sets (oh the disappointment of trains, compared to my 12V cable-remote collection ...), buying some real highlights for later (sea explorers, ...) and collecting older sets we missed from 2nd-hand local and internet stores (again, the hunting was fun).

When losing focus on technic, i first re-discovered my 80ies/90ies space, city and train stuff, then discovered the "afol" things like ideas and creator and creator expert, and found that much more relaxing and satisfying to build than the later technic sets ... so i started with the modulars and some ideas sets (again mostly hunting easy to get stuff i missed out before). I had a mixels episode (get them all twice, because ... !) but stopped myself getting into brickheadz (too much licensing, not my taste) and minifigs (started much too late, and too expensive to catch up).

While catching up and having some good catches 2nd-hand, i went along with new offerings from Lego, which added to the mix – something old, something new, ... both was good.

Then I came to the point that there was little to nothing to catch up anymore because either i do have it already, or it's far too expensive to be of interest (I can't get myself to buy stuff double the price it was in retail). That was somewhen last year, so the fun of hunting and celebrating good catches almost ended there.
    Also, it was about the time lego got serious. With that i mean they were starting to very officially target AFOLs with sets that had a different approach, different quantity/frequency and in another price range (making a 160€ modular building looking like a mid-sized in-between purchase). This somewhat changed my perception of lego being a building toy towards the impression it's now made to be lifestyle and an object of collecting (i know this was like the before too, but TLG themeself didn't communicate it that way and it was not to such an extent). This made it somewhat sour for me ... i like opportunities, not being "targetted" (barracuda bay made it ... right into the nostalgia. NES should do the same to me, it's spot on, but i can smell the intention behind it ... crocodile train same ... the psyche is a strange animal).

I almost stopped buying the past months and built the stuff in stock instead (still fun!). Currently i have a little hunting and catch-up revival with architecture sets again ... they felt "a bit small" to me earlier, but now with lego going into giantism, they suddenly feel quite neat and i try to get what i can without selling kidneys.

After that though, I'm not sure how to proceed. My perspective is to build what i have, think hard about MOCing and the consequences it has on my fundus, look at past series (with doubt there is still something undiscovered that appeals me) and see what really, really catches my eye from new releases – and ignore the rest.
    And i have not yet thought once about selling something ... I'd have 10-20% of sets i would not miss, but it's not like they disturb me so i need to get rid of them.

Thanks for listening :-)
    vanvonfullSilverLoveBrickfan50catwrangler
    Snail said:

Also, it was about the time lego got serious. With that i mean they were starting to very officially target AFOLs with sets that had a different approach, different quantity/frequency and in another price range (making a 160€ modular building looking like a mid-sized in-between purchase). This somewhat changed my perception of lego being a building toy towards the impression it's now made to be lifestyle and an object of collecting (i know this was like the before too, but TLG themeself didn't communicate it that way and it was not to such an extent). This made it somewhat sour for me ... i like opportunities, not being "targetted" (barracuda bay made it ... right into the nostalgia. NES should do the same to me, it's spot on, but i can smell the intention behind it ... crocodile train same ... the psyche is a strange animal).
    How utterly rude of them, deliberately making things that people might actually want and enjoy more than random City sets or other playline pap. The very nerve of those cretins!
    autolycus
    gelkster said:
    I'd be happy to make a special trip out to both help you break everything down and haul it away.  No charge!
    KungFuKennygmonkey76Fizyxcolaymak0137monstblitz
    SumoLego said:
    gelkster said:
    I'd be happy to make a special trip out to both help you break everything down and haul it away.  No charge!
    Oh no you don't! I'm closer! 
    FollowsCloselySumoLego