Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Unpopular LEGO Opinions

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,091

Ages ago, I joined the brickset facebook group and left within 24 hours. Looks like I haven't missed much.

Talking of stupid things on facebook ...

FollowsCloselylowleadCharmiefcbandheSumoLego
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 55
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,971
    I don’t bother with Facebook. All the cool twats are over here :)
    Why, thank you! ;)
    KungFuKennyAstrobricksSumoLegoSeijiAmasawa
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,545
    andhe said:
    I recently joined a number of vintage lego groups on Facebook and I'm amazed at the number of people that aren't aware of/don't use Brickset or Bricklink.

"Anyone know where I can find instructions online for..."

"Does anyone have this one piece for sale/know where I can buy this piece, ebay is really expensive..."

I can understand those that choose not to use Bricklink, but not knowing of or using Brickset is surely an AFOL crime?
    Even better, those same posts on the Brickset group. Hey guy, did you check out the website of the group you are in? Like ever?
    andhe
    ^ and ^^ How do you expect people to just "know" about Brickset or Bricklink? A co-worker told me about Brickset, otherwise I'd have no idea. And I only know of Bricklink because of this forum. 
    andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,138
    Sorry, it was meant just as a friendly jibe. I appreciate every AFOL moves in different circles, be it facebook groups, instagram, specific forums etc

I guess it's easy to see the circles we move in as the 'main' ones.

I always enjoy 'stumbling' across other lego fan communities, sites and builds (usually outside of the UK/USA/Germany that tend to dominate the western AFOLs I feel) especially if they've been established a long time. And I'm like "How have I never heard of this!"
    KungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76
    I'd like to thank this forum for letting me know about Bricks and Pieces- it's there at LEGO.com, but you kind of have to already know about it to find it, since you have to work your way through "support" and "replacement parts" to get to "buy parts". 
    panchox1andhepxchrisAyliffeAstrobricksSilverLovegmonkey76rd1899Marshallmario
    ^ and ^^ How do you expect people to just "know" about Brickset or Bricklink? A co-worker told me about Brickset, otherwise I'd have no idea. And I only know of Bricklink because of this forum. 
    When I've told non-AFOLs about bricklink (friends/colleagues wanting a certain part etc) I feel like I'm introducing them to the dark Web or something.

"It's a bit baffling at first, just try and ignore the look of it..." 
    Astrobricksgmonkey76KungFuKennyFizyx560Heliport
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 502
    edited August 12
    The recall of the Osprey is stupid.  Release the damn thing, then apologize with a "Going forward..." press statement.  That set looked awesome.  Lame.  Great for scalpers, though.  Happy LEGO?  Duh.
    If you follow the Osprey thread, the real reason for recall (whether Lego admit it or not) appears to be bad design leading to frequent mechanical failure (a certain gear is overloaded and always strips). So no, releasing right now without fixing it would be bad on that account. The whole political stuff and people saying "sales are banned here" is just a bunch of snowflake crap IMO. It might get released eventually, but then again it might not since everyone seems to have blown it out of proportion and made it political. Honestly, I don't care if some Facebook pansies get offended.
    560Heliportcozydaewoopanchox1
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 132
    can we have a thumbs down button added to posts?
    BumblepantsAyliffe560Heliport
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 463
    I think it is snowflake to ban a legitimate Lego product from an online community dedicated to selling and trading Lego products.
    560Heliportgmonkey76Cyberdragon
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 148
    edited August 12
    I'd like to thank this forum for letting me know about Bricks and Pieces- it's there at LEGO.com, but you kind of have to already know about it to find it, since you have to work your way through "support" and "replacement parts" to get to "buy parts". 
    Quick, off-topic question I’ve been meaning to ask: does Bricks and Pieces via the Replacement Parts tab offer the same parts as the Pick a Brick page on TLG website?
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 148
    lkliment2 said:
    Quick, off-topic question I’ve been meaning to ask: does Bricks and Pieces via the Replacement Parts tab offer the same parts as the Pick a Brick page on TLG website?
    Nevermind! Had time to answer that myself!
    560Heliport
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 463
    klinton said:
    In all honesty, the only 'snowflakes' I see are the people still complaining about a set that had zero hype prior to being canceled. It's just whining about something for the sake of whining. It was canceled. It's now merely a footnote in Lego's long history that 'snowflakes' can latch onto and add to their litany of 'issues'.
    Let it go.
    You have your opinion, I have mine, which I stated, and I'm not going to withhold my opinion on a discussion site because some random person (or persons) on that site don't like it.

Lego manufactured a product.  Lego distributed said product.  Lego then changed its mind about said product but did not recall those that had already made it to sellers.  To now ban that Lego product on a social media page that focuses on buying/selling/trading Lego products is ridiculous, at best.  It is a legitimate Lego product.  Lepin din't make it.  MegaBlocks (or whatever they call themselves now) didn't make it.  Lego did. 
    560Heliportgmonkey76cozySteveGCyberdragonSumoLegoWhiteDove
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,189
    daewoo said:
    You have your opinion, I have mine, which I stated, and I'm not going to withhold my opinion on a discussion site because some random person (or persons) on that site don't like it.

Lego manufactured a product.  Lego distributed said product.  Lego then changed its mind about said product but did not recall those that had already made it to sellers.  To now ban that Lego product on a social media page that focuses on buying/selling/trading Lego products is ridiculous, at best.  It is a legitimate Lego product.  Lepin din't make it.  MegaBlocks (or whatever they call themselves now) didn't make it.  Lego did. 
    Is it a site that you use? Is this a set that you're actively trying to buy? If your answer is 'no' to either of those questions, snowflake, then you're just whining for the sake of whining. I thought the policy here was 'no children'? When did this change?
    560Heliport
    On that Facebook group, you also cannot sell knock offs. Which seems sensible. But the moderator of the group has recently posted a review of an exact copy of the Lamborghini set in a different colour by a lepin like company. And has gone on to say it is better in colour and quality than the Lego version! But no selling clones.

560Heliportgmonkey76Cyberdragon
    edited August 13
    blokey9 said:
    Originally when buttons were added we did have that. It quickly descended into some ridiculous and petty squabbling between a few outspoken commenters. It got where they would thumbs down the other person on random threads just because they were that ridiculous. So Huw removed them and the forum returned to the happy place it is now. I will admit it was somewhat entertaining though as a bystander.
    ok clearly I am not the only one who remembers this. I have in the back of my mind that in addition to the always heated Resellers vs Little Timmy debate there was also an offshoot Star Wars vs Star Trek in there somewhere that got angry? I miss the fights for hypothetical Timmy, those were always super funny.
    gmonkey76KungFuKenny560HeliportGibbo1959MarshallmarioGothamConstructionCodavetheoxygenmankhmellymel
    I think Little Timmy gave up on Lego and sold off all those mint in box sets he had stored under his bed.
    gmonkey76560HeliportGibbo1959Astrobricks
    CCC said:
    I think Little Timmy gave up on Lego and sold off all those mint in box sets he had stored under his bed.
    I dunno, he is probably still in therapy after someone bought all the clearance at the local Buy N Large before he could.
    Mr_Crossgmonkey76SirBrickalotOfLegoklinton560HeliportAstrobricksSumoLegomak0137davetheoxygenman
    Mr_Cross said:
    When I was a kid, looking at LEGO catalogues, I used to really hate the pictures of the smug kids playing with all the amazing LEGO sets. I used to really despise their dead-eyed self-satisfied grins... I may have poked through their eyes with a compass point on one or two occasions.

This kid got to go in a helicopter too.

Chances are the models in the shots these days didn't get to build or play with the sets, but just had a conveyor belt of items put in front of them to be photographed with.

Mr_CrossFizyxgmonkey76560HeliportiwybsAstrobricksCyberdragondavetheoxygenman
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,323
    I bet that guy's not even a real Pilot!
    Fizyxgmonkey76560Heliportpanchox1MynattGibbo1959andheGothamConstructionCo
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 372
    Mr_Cross said:
    I bet that guy's not even a real Pilot!
    Hello pal. Would you like to see my chopper?
    KungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76Mr_Cross
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,420
    edited August 13
    Mr_Cross said:
    When I was a kid, looking at LEGO catalogues, I used to really hate the pictures of the smug kids playing with all the amazing LEGO sets. I used to really despise their dead-eyed self-satisfied grins... I may have poked through their eyes with a compass point on one or two occasions.

I don't know-- those ads had to be better than Zack the Lego Maniac...

560Heliportgmonkey76Mr_Cross
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 502
    CCC said:
    Mr_Cross said:

This kid got to go in a helicopter too.

Chances are the models in the shots these days didn't get to build or play with the sets, but just had a conveyor belt of items put in front of them to be photographed with.

*James May mode engaged*

What's...that set number?

No...I'm not gonna go buy it just yet, just adding it to my wanted list.

Speaking of possible unpopular opinion and my wanted list...obviously I like vintage technic but that means my wanted list is full of...well...um...

Dacta

KungFuKenny560HeliportBumblepants
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 40
    blokey9 said:
    Originally when buttons were added we did have that. It quickly descended into some ridiculous and petty squabbling between a few outspoken commenters. It got where they would thumbs down the other person on random threads just because they were that ridiculous. So Huw removed them and the forum returned to the happy place it is now. I will admit it was somewhat entertaining though as a bystander.
    ok clearly I am not the only one who remembers this. I have in the back of my mind that in addition to the always heated Resellers vs Little Timmy debate there was also an offshoot Star Wars vs Star Trek in there somewhere that got angry? I miss the fights for hypothetical Timmy, those were always super funny.
    I really enjoyed the resellers vs Little Timmy debates. Always got way too worked up over them and couldn’t wait for the next post. What happened to them? Were they banned because everyone got pissed?
    BumblepantsSumoLegogmonkey76
    I really enjoyed the resellers vs Little Timmy debates. Always got way too worked up over them and couldn’t wait for the next post. What happened to them? Were they banned because everyone got pissed?
    I think it was more that the golden age of reselling was ending and also resellers took their conversations to the brick investor site (BrickPickers I think it is called?). I miss all those conversations too but reselling just got too big and watered down. Most resellers also got tight-lipped and stopped talking predictions to avoid giving tips to the competition. The only way to make decent $$ the last few years is get a good buy-in price and get lucky with something disappearing from the general market unexpectedly, preferably both. Talking about those things would only damage your slim chance of making decent money so the talk dried up.
    KungFuKennyFizyxbandit778TkattandheSumoLegogmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,240
    edited August 16
    @Redbullgivesuwind - totally agree.

And I already scared Little Timmy away from the S10 CMFs years ago...

Also, if the owner/moderator of a site wants to self-censor, it's their prerogative.  If you want unfettered discussion about the Osprey, start your own site.
    KungFuKennyFizyxgmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,240
    legobod said:
    klinton said:
    I am sorry about that. 
    Are apologies allowed on the internet? Was there an update I missed or something?
    This is... a... TRAP!!!
    gmonkey76davetheoxygenman
    My current (unpopular?) opinion is that I don't find army building impressive...

Whether it's buying up battlepacks of clone troopers or huge amounts of vintage Black Falcons, I just don't get it. I'm sure we've all gone through spending sprees when coming out of our dark ages, but somehow just spending loads of money seems a bit of a cheat (and pushes up the price for us bargain hunters...) 
    560HeliportiwybsBumblepantsMr_Crossbenbacardigmonkey76Redbullgivesuwind
    I'm happy with #75280 the way it is. To all of you who whined that it should have been a $15 battle pack, I say: I'm sorry; did you need more stud shooters?
    Charmiefcbgmonkey76Brainslugged
    andhe said:
    My current (unpopular?) opinion is that I don't find army building impressive...

Whether it's buying up battlepacks of clone troopers or huge amounts of vintage Black Falcons, I just don't get it. I'm sure we've all gone through spending sprees when coming out of our dark ages, but somehow just spending loads of money seems a bit of a cheat (and pushes up the price for us bargain hunters...) 
    I understand it to a point. Like, I get wanting enough Storm Troopers to fill out various posts in a Star Wars build. I bought up a few extra Justice League sets to have extra Parademons and Atlantean soldiers.
    There is a rational limit though, beyond which it just becomes obviously compulsive behavior. You really won't ever need 100 Storm Troopers for any possible reason.
    andhegmonkey76
    That I'm okay with too. There was clearly a vision in mind for a specific display. The figures are as important as the pieces in the wall. Very few people asipre to such grandiose builds thugh when purchasing twenty of Benny's Space Squad or the 501st set. 
    gmonkey76andhe
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,270
    Yes, a fair point, but most people do have something in mind when purchasing multiple figures.
    andhe
    andhe said:

For me , it depends on the type of army. I have a number of different armies. My Gondor army is mainly very similar figures but with variations in the faces. My Rohan army, I've tried to make each figure slightly different. Any subject where they are uniformed tend to be similar with minor variations.
    andhe
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 955
    Personally, I always get army building extras of figures that I really want to make an army out of in a display, either because it would be fun, cool, or hilarious (I'm looking at you, Unicorn Guy CMF).  I never do MAKE those displays (YET), but I definitely get where the army building bug comes from.  (Also though, I've never gone so over board that I've bought 20-30 of battle pack.)  (....YET)

560Heliportandhe
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 539
    edited August 23
    And then there are those cases where you don't want to army build but you end up doing so... Like a Harry Potter army, a Kai army, an Emmet army, a Batman army, etc.

So here's another unpopular opinion: f&#% Batman! (quoting Robin in the Titans TV Show)
    I want more Justice Leaguers, not Batman. 
    And I want more villains with big builds, be it DC, NINJAGO, whatever. Not a set in which Kai or Jay have a huge vehicle and the enemy is composed of 2 figures with sticks or swords. #70678 was great in that regard, as it only has 2 ninjas plus Akita and then there's a big build with a big evil dragon and four evil minifigs. That is a challenge for the heroes. 
    Actually I can't complain anymore about NINJAGO, as the new wave is perfect in that sense (except for Legacy). 
    560HeliportklintonFizyxgmonkey76andhebandit778KungFuKennyMynatt