Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collecting certain parts only

Comments

• KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,420
    This is a small one, but I when I received #5988 (Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins) recently I was able to finish out all of the 8 tooth alligators...Dark Grey only came in this set, while the others were far more common...
    Mr_CrossBumblepantsstluxpxchrisGothamConstructionCoBrickfan50Mynatt
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,971
    This is a small one, but I when I received #5988 (Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins) recently I was able to finish out all of the 8 tooth alligators...Dark Grey only came in this set, while the others were far more common...
    Weird... Brickset calls #5988 Temple of Anubis. I have it, and I also have all three alligators. 
    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny
    Weird... Brickset calls #5988 Temple of Anubis. I have it, and I also have all three alligators. 
    It must be a North America vs European naming difference - I like Temple of Anubis as well, mainly because it fits with the 2 statues in the back of the ruins.  Hopefully I’ll get to build it in the next week or two!
    560Heliport
  • RoebuckRoebuck Slitu, NorwayMember Posts: 74
    Did see a brown one last year on the inside tour, but I doubt that has ever escaped Billund ;)
    560HeliportKungFuKennyandhe
    Roebuck said:
    Did see a brown one last year on the inside tour, but I doubt that has ever escaped Billund ;)
    I’m doing the IT next June (virus permitting) — I wonder if they would let me “borrow” it? :-)
    560HeliportMr_CrossSwitchfoot55Cymbelinegmonkey76
  • Mr_BMr_B EnglandMember Posts: 11

I know that this is somewhat tangential to the main purpose of this forum, but I think that it might make for an interesting discussion.

What additional colour(s) would you like TLG to use for the parts you collect? (obviously the main ones not "all of them"). It might be interesting to break them down into:

-          Current mainstream colours, which TLG might use for your part anytime.

-          Current obscure colours which only have a (relatively) few parts at the moment

-          Obsolete colours which you'd like bringing back (as Teal was)

To start us off, these are my thoughts (the part I'm interested in is the 4x1 Bow which I use in my Space Scooter models):

Current mainstream colours, which TLG might use at anytime.

I'm pretty sure that they'll use Coral sometime soon anyway, so I'll leave that aside. There are two colours I've been waiting for since I started my collection, and one of those - Cool Yellow (BL: Bright Light Yellow) has just had a massive release of new parts (including the one I want) in the Fiat 500 set. So it's the other one that I would really like TLG to release next - Medium Nougat.

Current obscure colours which only have a (relatively) few parts at the moment

None of the transparent colours has any bows, apart from the 6x1, which has a lot of internal support. So I assume there is a problem with making bows in the material they use for transparent colours. But they have just released a whole load of parts in Gold Ink (BL: Metallic Gold) (didn't see that coming), so there obviously isn't a problem with metallic colours. In which case, the one I would really like is Titanium Metal (BL: Pearl Dark Gray). It's a really great colour for machinery  and spaceships. Also, I'm not really up to speed on Monofig collecting, but isn't the body just released in this colour new?

Obsolete colours which I'd like bringing back

Most of the obsolete colours have pretty good replacements in the current palette. (Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Pastel Blue (BL: Maersk Blue) re-introduced; surely another marketing agreement between two major Danish companies must be likely.) But there are two old colours which have no current equivalents: Sand Red and Sand Violet (BL: Sand Purple). Of the two, I think Sand Red is more likely. There were more parts in this colour, and it would be really useful. I could see it becoming as popular as Sand Blue. I really like Sand Violet, but it only ever came in a few parts most of which are obsolete (there were printed minifig chest and legs, but there was never a head). So realistically, if I wanted to use the 4x1 Bows to build anything it would have to be Sand Red.

So what do you think? If you could lobby TLG for a colour in your collectible, what would it be? Or would you rather keep your collection complete with no new addtions?

msandersKungFuKenny
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,848
    Regarding the Pearl Dark Grey monochrome fig, every part apart from the hands has been available for some time. Show me some genuine Pearl Dark Grey hands and I'll be interested! Mostly TLG just use Dark Grey for the hands.
    KungFuKennyVorpalRyu
    I’d like to see Very Light Grey and/or VLBG make a comeback— they could provide nice variation for castle and Star Wars builds.  I would also love for Maersk Blue to return, mainly because it would make completing my 1x2 plate collection cheaper!
    Mr_CrossVorpalRyu
    Ooh yeah, Very Light Bluish Grey. I also want Sand Red, but it might be a bit too dull for TLG.
    560HeliportVorpalRyu
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,091
    edited July 20
    I'd like one more shade of red. There are plenty of blues, greens, purples, yellows, but red is lacking a bit.
    560HeliportBumblepantsMr_CrossVorpalRyu
    I'd like Silver Metallic and Titanium Metallic for regular bricks and plates- currently, both are mostly used for minifig parts and accessories.
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyMr_CrossVorpalRyu
    Oh, and copper, too. I'd like Technic beams in these colors. And glow-in-the-dark! Also, I'd like more windshields and canopies in more transparent colors.
    AstrobricksMr_CrossVorpalRyu
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 982
    I would also like sand red. I feel that the modular buildings need another colour to help distinguish the sets now that there are so many. I think Sand red would be ideally suited to this. There are lots of buildings in this type of colour so would love great! Or a Sand orange colour. 
    KungFuKenny560HeliportVorpalRyuMynatt
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 275
    Here are all of part 64648, elegantly named “Fish”...

I like the way you clipped them to the base. 
    KungFuKenny
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,843
    I've used a product called quixx which seems to work very well, with no scratches or residue.
    I bought some Quixx based on another thread (maybe it was @Paperballpark that recommended it at the time) and Quixx is awesome and rarely damages the part. It take a bit of 'elbow' grease but works really well.

KungFuKenny
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,315
    I really want to see copper make a come back, especially in the various blasters/weapons, particularly lightsaber hilts. I'd also love some copper in regular parts, like cheese slopes & tiles. I want some copper monochrome minifigures too.

VLBG needs to come back, along with LG & DG, need more color variation for builds like the Millennium Falcon, so all 3 in the typical parts used for SW builds.

I also want to see more parts in the various translucent colors, particularly the original trans-green (I still want at least a couple dozen lightsaber blades [4L bars] in trans-green).

TLG also needs to bring back the 3 different glow in the dark colors & maybe add in variants that glow blue, red, yellow, orange, purple & pink.
    Bumblepants560HeliportKungFuKennyGothamConstructionCo
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 132
    Not just “Fish” but a male fish...

thank you, i needed a laugh today.
    panchox1lessjunkfood
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,641
    Here are all of part 64648, elegantly named “Fish”...

You've inspired me to start my first collection! Got five of them already, off to BL to hunt the others! The display is so simple as well
    Mr_CrossKungFuKennymadforLEGO
    Be careful, it’s a slippery (cheese) slope!  Medium Azure was the most expensive but was still under $1 I believe...

Here are the Scorpions (part 30169)...
    Snagged the three I needed in with other BL orders for under a £1 each, so I'm happy. Only got one scorpion, so I'll pass for now. But I have found several crabs..... 
    KungFuKennyandhe
    Have any of you found an interesting part which you couldn't actually collect because it only exists in one colour?
    Brickfan50
    Mr_B said:
    Have any of you found an interesting part which you couldn't actually collect because it only exists in one colour?
    Lobster! I thought we'd add them in with the Crabs, but there is only a red one
    panchox1KungFuKennymadforLEGO
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 482
    Mr_B said:
    Lobster! I thought we'd add them in with the Crabs, but there is only a red one

Don't let that hold you back! Think of how quickly you could complete that set.
    KungFuKennyCymbeline
    panchox1 said:

Don't let that hold you back! Think of how quickly you could complete that set.
    Done!
    panchox1Brixfan02
    edited July 28
    In the water animal category there are 2 more, I believe: The old school manta/sting ray only came in black, and the narwhal is only in pink...

The Atlantis Portal Emperor helmet and armor only came in “Speckle Black Gold”... 

and the Scala kitchen sink only came in Very Light Blue Grey

The minifigure bugle only came in Chrome Gold

although one seller has a trans clear one for sale (non-production version I guess, or more likely all of the chrome has rubbed off)... 
    Mr_CrossAstrobricksvanvonfullomnium
    @ KungFuKenny - I wish they did that Speckle Gold in a lot more pieces... It was only used for 2 - your helmet and the matching Armor Breastplate with Shoulder Bands.
    KungFuKennyCymbeline
    My first colour collections. The fish are missing the silver variant that only appears to have come in a three pirate sets in 2009 (I've popped a far more common metallic silver in its place for now). 

Crabs are all the colours available over the two different designs, the only difference I can see is the older mould #33121 is flat either side of the anti stud where as #31577 has a pair of indents underneath.
    I have a sudden craving for sushi...
    Speedman29
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,091
    Mr_B said:
    Quite a few minifigure accessories and animals come in only one colour, especially those from CMF series. I was hoping for a Roman shield in a new colour for years and then they did one and covered it in Batman prints.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,843
    Now if LEGO would just make a dark red Lobster and Blue lobster
    KungFuKennyandheRoebuckVorpalRyuSpeedman29
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 285
    Here are all of the released colors (I think) of part 4495b “Flag 4x1 Wave Right” ...

Please extend the display by 1. :)
    andhe7BSSwitchfoot55SeijiAmasawa
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 190
    Legoland modelmakers could (and probably still can) get parts in pretty much any colour. They're not supposed to escape into the wild, but some have.
    I've certainly seen goblets, 2343, and taps, 4599, in colours that never appeared in sets.
    Annoyingly, while I have a tan and a brown goblet, I'm missing lime and red, so I may have to remedy that.
    I see that you only have 1 shade of pearl gold goblet on show, as only 1 shade officially exists.
    I have 2 very clearly different shades in my collection.
    andheKungFuKenny
    jgadget said:
    Legoland modelmakers could (and probably still can) get parts in pretty much any colour.
    "Hey Lego, please can I have 500 2x4 bricks in 'Wild Unicorn' colour? Thanks!"
    KungFuKenny
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 546
    jgadget said:
    Legoland modelmakers could (and probably still can) get parts in pretty much any colour. They're not supposed to escape into the wild, but some have.
    I've certainly seen goblets, 2343, and taps, 4599, in colours that never appeared in sets.
    Annoyingly, while I have a tan and a brown goblet, I'm missing lime and red, so I may have to remedy that.
    I see that you only have 1 shade of pearl gold goblet on show, as only 1 shade officially exists.
    I have 2 very clearly different shades in my collection.
    Is there two distinct types of pearl gold, or is it a colour with a lot of natural variation?
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 190
    jgadget said:
    Legoland modelmakers could (and probably still can) get parts in pretty much any colour.
    "Hey Lego, please can I have 500 2x4 bricks in 'Wild Unicorn' colour? Thanks!"
    :-)

I should have said "... any current colour."
    I doubt that they can get old grey, brown or sand red any more.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 656
    edited August 26
    All of the versions of 2343 Minifigure Goblet...the green is not in a set that I can find, so maybe is from the model shop, or a test color run?

There are a couple of colors (brown, tan) that were never sold that I’m also tracking, but most of them are in Europe and quite expensive...

Thats Brown and Reddish brown but not very clear on this image. I think I have spare Tan and Brown but also UK so shipping might not be worthwhile. Also, I must apologise as I have a feeling one of my little people has been playing with my spectrum layout and mixed it up a little!!
    Mr_CrossKungFuKennyCymbelineJudgeChuckstluxomnium
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 656

Oh and more interesting is an updated 1x1 3024 Colour Collection.  This has become a bit special now :-) Trans Brown/Trans Black and Trans Purple are en route.

KungFuKenny560HeliportCymbelineJudgeChuckMr_CrossstluxGothamConstructionComak0137
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,270
    This has become my favorite thread to browse.  Highly entertaining and oddly satisfying.
    Totally agree. I love the "completeness" going on here. :-)
    KungFuKennymattytreksMr_Cross