Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

1131415161719»

Comments

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 621
    The typewriter looks cool, exactly the sort of thing I like - it reminds me of the piano, which we still haven't heard anything about…!
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,914
    ^ With 7 sets approved pre Christmas next year sounds about right. Odd that we got 3 approved from this round (which I thought looked a bit weak) when there is 26 in the next round, the ideas backlog is getting bigger and bigger.

With the aquarium this time and pursuit of flight last time not passing it does seem like Lego is favouring larger sets now and maybe not that interested in smaller sets any more which is a big change from a few years ago when too big meant you could rule it out right away.
    iwybstomahawkerPyrobugFizyx
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,098
    There was a hidden message in the pop-up book.

Grandma, what big sets you've got.

All the better to screw as much money out of the Ideas line as possible.
    SMCmsanders
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,242
    They are doing an excellent job of making the selections unpredictable.

Given the previous choices, I'm shocked Seinfeld gets a set, but some iteration of 'The Office' doesn't.

JFK's golf clubs better make it into that set, that's for sure.  (Or a Manzier.)
    Switchfoot55
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,449
    Kramer's Technicolor Dreamcoat :-)
    gmonkey76panchox1SumoLego
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 945
    I'm wondering what superman reference they will have.
    gmonkey76J0rgenSumoLego
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,599
    All I want the Home Alone set to include is the wet bandits. Got to have a Joe Pesci Minifig. Ok Ok Ok.
    oldtodd33panchox1PyrobugdaewooSumoLego
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 492
    I really hope they don’t make the Home Alone house just a facade, that would be really disappointing.
    daewoo
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,528
    The typewriter makes no sense to me. Didn't everyone throw theirs away 20 years ago? Why would I buy something to replace something I threw away? 
    Mr_CrossBumblepantsgmonkey76
    oldtodd33 said:
    The typewriter makes no sense to me. Didn't everyone throw theirs away 20 years ago? Why would I buy something to replace something I threw away? 
    Because it is made from Lego.

I feel the same. Why have a non-functioning machine that is obsolete as a display item that costs significantly more than a working one that could also be displayed. And I think the answer is ... Because it is made from Lego.
    Mr_Cross
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 323
    @SumoLego I don't think it's weird that Seinfeld got picked over The Office (and I'm over the moon that it was!) because Jerry's apartment is a nice clean display piece, just right for five minifigs, while that The Office project was a huge, messy maze that could only work as a playset, and I don't think The Office fans are in the market for that.

I'm super excited about the Seinfeld set as it's my favourite show and Jerry's apartment has been my most wanted set for years! The submitted project looks good, but I'm sure the LEGO designers will do a great job making it even better.
    Lyichir
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 551
    Anyone else find it surprising that LEGO chose the Seinfeld set right now, considering the current focus on racial issues? I thought it stood no chance because of that.
    ^ Yeah
    SMC said:
    I was super surprised by Seinfeld. I know we have had a couple of sitcoms recently but I almost thought that counted against it. Big Bang had a few Lego references in the show and was big recently. Friends is super big and still has a lot of merchandise, also it being the coffee shop rather than an apartment made it a bit more interesting. 

Compared to these Seinfeld seemed a little old and less well know. And even before recent events I thought Michael Richards racist rant some years ago would have made this a non starter. But saying all this Seinfeld is very well regarded and has a cult following. A lot of people myself included would put it up there as one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

My guess would be that Lego didn't know about it. I had ruled this one out and was hoping for Futurama but its a nice surprise.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • FodderFodder AustraliaMember Posts: 321
    I just can't get excited by any of these.... I really like the Treehouse and Barracuda Bay, but Lego has priced them out of my range. I would rather spend that same amount of money on parts to build my own stuff. At the end of the day, Lego is in the money making business and they must expect these three to sell...
    Sorry @SMC , I missed your comment earlier saying basically the same thing.
    Do you think there will be some fallout about this? Surely there's no way it has got this far with LEGO without some internal conversation about that incident?
    If the right people find out and protest, I can see it being cancelled TBH, or at least the Michael Richards character being removed.
    SMCBrainslugged
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 130
    Yeah I was thinking they might remove Kramer, which would tick a lot of people off but it would continue the conversation. Or maybe it’s just a character and they’ll ignore the actor’s transgressions. 

Not sure where they will draw the line. It’s not like Robert downey’s blackface has affected the output of Ironman figs. 

Maybe next we’ll see the huxtables living room with no father figure.  
    panchox1gmonkey76560HeliportBOBJACK_JACKBOBKungFuKennyBrainsluggedSumoLego
  • timmeyhtimmeyh BelgiumMember Posts: 12
    The typewriter was not a surprise. However I am surprised by the Home Alone House.
    A bit sad that there is no BOTW Stables which was a very beautiful idea (but probably IP issues etc so nogo for TLG). Also sad that Queen didn't make it but maybe a queen winner in the "music to our ears" competition?

• GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 165
    I hope I will be able to afford the typewriter ... I like the Home Alone house but it will almost certainly be more than I can budget. The Seinfeld one is not interesting to me but I guess it will be to some. I do wish TLG would pay more attention to mid range sets like $40 to $150 that more of us could afford.
    Could Netflix have anything to do with Seinfeld passing, we got Stranger Things and Friends. Maybe Lego think like Friends it will find a new younger fanbase to add to those already fans when it joins Netflix.

Maybe with ideas sets based on a license Lego really do go to all the rights holders and ask how much it would cost. Maybe we just get the sets we do because Lego can reach an agreement.

As for dropping Kramer, if Lego feel that way just dont make the set. I dont see Lego wanting controversy and I really think they just missed it. I mean its not out the question that a team in Denmark missed something that happened 14 years ago that wasnt connect to the show.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 463
    Michael Richards reacted badly to a rude heckler and it was blown way over proportion.  If they release the set without a Kramer figure, I won't buy it.
    gmonkey76Brainslugged
    edited June 25
    ^ It was more than badly it was nasty and racist. But saying this people should get second chances.

But Kramer was a big part of the show and they should include him or there is no point making the set. 
    gmonkey76RedbullgivesuwindBrainsluggedMr_Cross
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 152
    my wallets happy at least,hard pass on all of them.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,142
    edited June 26
    I think you'd struggle to find an old sitcom that didn't have something that would be racially or gender(ly?) 'iffy' by today's standards. Not to say that you just ignore it, but must be an absolute minefield for brands. Little Britain battle pack anyone?
    Astrobricksgmonkey76
    Yes, just as today's standards will be iffy in 50 years time.
    MaffyDFollowsClosely
  • jhuntin1jhuntin1 Indiana, USAMember Posts: 48
    SumoLego said:
    They are doing an excellent job of making the selections unpredictable.

Given the previous choices, I'm shocked Seinfeld gets a set, but some iteration of 'The Office' doesn't.

JFK's golf clubs better make it into that set, that's for sure.  (Or a Manzier.)

Some other company (not sure the name) has the rights to The Office for construction. I've seen a set for sale at my local Target.
    Lyichirgmonkey76
    ^Phatmojo
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 955
    wardm said:
    The Van Gogh starry night achieved 10.000 supporters! I really hope this one gets to be made a real set! 

The speed that it hit 10k at should indicate to LEGO that there is probably enormous demand here.  It only took about 20 days!  Is there another project that has received 10k votes in even twice that time?  Honestly, of all the sets that have come through Ideas, I feel like that one is about as much of a shoe-in as it's possible to be.  (Now that I've said that, I'm sure it won't be chosen ;_; )
    560HeliportKungFuKenny
    Does anyone know what idea got to 10,000 in the quickest time?

Fizyx
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,489
    I have no idea what it is. a show like big bang theory / friends ? I guess every single of these shows has a community extremly implicated in lego ideas
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 982
    Fizyx said:
    wardm said:
    The Van Gogh starry night achieved 10.000 supporters! I really hope this one gets to be made a real set! 

The speed that it hit 10k at should indicate to LEGO that there is probably enormous demand here.  It only took about 20 days!  Is there another project that has received 10k votes in even twice that time?  Honestly, of all the sets that have come through Ideas, I feel like that one is about as much of a shoe-in as it's possible to be.  (Now that I've said that, I'm sure it won't be chosen ;_; )
    It looks like a great set. I would definitely buy. I wonder whether there will be any licensing issues with making this set?
    Fizyx
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,548
    Minecraft got 10K overnight or close to it.

Perhaps a dumb question but to make Starry Night what rights or permissions would Lego need, if any?
    FizyxBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 955

Perhaps a dumb question but to make Starry Night what rights or permissions would Lego need, if any?

Shouldn't need any.  The work itself is in the public domain, and with van Gogh being long dead, there shouldn't be any issues with his representation either.  I actually think that would make this an even more appealing set for LEGO, since they shouldn't have to do any wrangling at all over it.

Bumblepantsthedoctor46
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 982
    Fizyx said:

Shouldn't need any.  The work itself is in the public domain, and with van Gogh being long dead, there shouldn't be any issues with his representation either.  I actually think that would make this an even more appealing set for LEGO, since they shouldn't have to do any wrangling at all over it.

Yeah, I have no idea with works of art and selling/making money out of depicting that work of art. That was a question I was posing in my original comment. 
    Fauch said:
    I have no idea what it is. a show like big bang theory / friends ? I guess every single of these shows has a community extremly implicated in lego ideas
    Yes, it is a sitcom show with quite a cult following. I've been watching it recently, up to season 3. Seasons 1-2 were good, 3 still funny but some of the episodes get a bit weird.

One if the things I like about the IDEAS submission is the way the little vignettes are spread round the back and sides. It gives a bit more interest than the rooms of BBT and Friends.
    Fizyx
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,189
    I just really hope Schitt's Creek makes the cut. I'm really not a fan of the Ideas sitcom sets (Flintstones is the only one I've purchased), but I feel like my LEGO collection would be much enriched with Moira Rose hanging about.
    Cymbelinebrickventures
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,423
    So with The Fortress - Imperial Army reaching 10,000 votes, that makes 25 projects (I think) that have qualified so far for the second 2020 review stage! 
    gmonkey76
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 713
    Question about the ideas website:
    is there a way to view all the sets currently in review/achieved support state? 
    They used to have that on the bottom of the homepage on the old website. Would be nice to have an overview! 
    Brickchap
    On the search page you can filter by "achieved support".
    wardm
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 364
    Do you think, with the numbers achieving 10,000 supporters, Lego might increase the number? Or do you think they like more reaching enough support to give more options and so they can select more sets (I am assuming here that Ideas sets are reasonably profitable, as they keep releasing them in what feel like larger numbers).
    If anything they've made it easier recently for projects to reach 10,000. You used to have to answer a load of questions when voting for a project about price, how many you'd expect to buy, what age range you think it'd be targeted at.
    AstrobricksKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,449
    So with The Fortress - Imperial Army reaching 10,000 votes, that makes 25 projects (I think) that have qualified so far for the second 2020 review stage! 
    The Bakery also just got to 10,000.
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/ae9fdefd-bf7d-47d1-a3bc-71bf25a1eeed
    KungFuKennyBrickchap
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,886
    It is good to see so many other pirate sets getting to 10,000 votes. Hopefully Lego see that well-built pirate models really appeal to AFOLs and TOFLs. Although, if they chose to make one of the fortresses it will be interesting to see how they approach it. They are very similar to each other. Maybe a joint winner? Or if they risk a bit of a backlash and just pick one over the other.
    KungFuKennyFizyxBrickchap
    It is good to see so many other pirate sets getting to 10,000 votes. Hopefully Lego see that well-built pirate models really appeal to AFOLs and TOFLs. Although, if they chose to make one of the fortresses it will be interesting to see how they approach it. They are very similar to each other. Maybe a joint winner? Or if they risk a bit of a backlash and just pick one over the other.
    Or release their own as a follow up to Barracuda Bay and reward neither.
    RedbullgivesuwindFizyxPapaBearBrickchapandhe
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,489
    I prefer the style of seagull bay, the imperial fortress looks a bit boring
    Brickchap