Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Technic Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey cancelled?

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 41,788
edited July 2020 in Brickset.com articles
Technic Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey cancelled?

Here's an interesting story from our friends over at Zusammengebaut. Apparently the German Peace Society has condemned LEGO's decision to produce what is fundamentally a modern military aircraft, even if the variation modelled is used for search and rescue.

It claims that LEGO cooperates with arms companies and plans to stage demonstrations outside three brand stores in Germany this week. You can read more about its concerns and plans on a website called Love Bricks Hate War.

What's most interesting, though, is that LEGO Germany has issued a statement in response: "The LEGO Technic Set 42113 Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey was developed by us in relation to the aircraft's operations in rescue operations. The aircraft is mainly used for military purposes. We have long followed the principle of not designing sets with military vehicles. In this case, we have not strictly followed our own guidelines and high standards and will therefore review the plans to launch the product on August 1st."

Whether they are speaking just for the German market or globally, and whether anything will come of it, remains to be seen. However, having just checked on YouTube, I can't see any reviews of it there, which would indicate that it's not already for sale anywhere, LEGO hasn't offered it to us to review, and it's no longer listed at LEGO.com, so perhaps it is having second thoughts...

© 2020 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 770
    Yet it's 100% OK to produce sets based on pirates who murdered and plundered and committed all sorts of atrocities.  TLG = hypocrite.
    gmonkey76Wrecknbuild
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 689
    TLG = massively successful and profitable corporation which is extremely sensitive to all the social-media-driven poor publicity that is the bane of all individuals and corporations in this day and age.  I've never believed that freedom of speech is a bad thing (and still don't), but the mob mentality and pre-judgment that's heightened by the interweb chatrooms is a disappointing development.  TLG was just trying to give its buyers a set they'd love to build, and some fringe group shuts them down with the THREAT of a protest?  Words fail me.

I can fully understand the various social justice protests in the USA these days, even if I can't immediately relate to the issues being raised.  I have no idea what drives the German protesters...
    Charmiefcbstarwars4ever
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 620
    Granted it's been long discontinued, but I wonder if they also protested the #8110 Mercedes-Benz Unimog.  That was also used by militaries across the globe as a utility/support vehicle, as I understand is what the Osprey is also typically used for.  If they didn't protest that one, then it seems a little hypocritical of them.
    pharmjodgmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,397
    They didn't mind celebrating their own Viking culture that invaded my country, or the Roman invasions before that. Down with history. 

It makes you wonder if vegan or vegetarians avoid certain sets due to the turkey legs.
    560HeliportpharmjodBumblepantsCasper_vd_Korfpanchox1gmonkey76datsunrobbiestarwars4ever
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 162
    Numerous Technic and Creator jet aircraft and helicopters have been modeled after military designs over the years.  Currently #31096 and #31094 are examples of what is currently available so there is no reason to not include the V-22 in their lineup.
    gmonkey76
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 451
    Oldfan said:
    TLG = massively successful and profitable corporation which is extremely sensitive to all the social-media-driven poor publicity that is the bane of all individuals and corporations in this day and age.  I've never believed that freedom of speech is a bad thing (and still don't), but the mob mentality and pre-judgment that's heightened by the interweb chatrooms is a disappointing development.  TLG was just trying to give its buyers a set they'd love to build, and some fringe group shuts them down with the THREAT of a protest?  Words fail me.

I can fully understand the various social justice protests in the USA these days, even if I can't immediately relate to the issues being raised.  I have no idea what drives the German protesters...

The people protesting this go from one company to the next bullying those that do what they don't like. I very much doubt any of them are regular customers of LEGO.
    I wish companies would wise up to the cancer known as social media. They would sell more of that set in a day than they would get complaints from sad losers that have nothing to do but live in a social media bubble and complain about anything and everything as long as it's trending.
    By next week they would have forgotten about a Lego set and been outraged about several other things.
    panchox1gmonkey76BumblepantsSumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,125
    Pathetic of Lego to cave like this. It's to be expected in 2020 though.
    gmonkey76M_Bossstarwars4ever
  • jedivalkyriejedivalkyrie Member Posts: 354
    I‘d buy one in a heartbeat, and promise to teach my kids the difference between “rescue” and “military”. 

If you do not appreciate the set, don’t buy it.   

LEGO could sell direct easily. Then no one is triggered by seeing the set in store. 
    gmonkey76SumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Cancel culture strikes again!
    gmonkey76SumoLegodatsunrobbiestarwars4ever
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,776
    We live in a 'cancel culture' as its absolutely right that people and companies should be held accountable for their view, opinions and principles. Companies should be able to hold up their hands and admit their mistakes "hey guys we didn't realise our latest product was toxic/destroyed the rain forest/was hugely offensive etc etc so we're changing how we do things". That is good and right.

What is totally baffling is how the Osprey got through their whole design process without someone questioning whether it went against their core principles.

I knew nothing of the Ospreys source material until all this was pointed out and I imagine a large number of customers would have just seen a cool looking plane with rescue branding. It's as much a military vehicle as the many jeeps/trucks/planes in the Marvel sets so the truth is their core principles have meant nothing for many years.

While I wouldn't be comfortable seeing full on army sets in the system range, or full on war machines, technic feels an appropriate place as any for more 'adult oriented' models such as this. Which is probably what Lego thought as well.

Ultimately its all about publicity, a small peace organisation got some free publicity by calling out lego on a set no-one would have batted an eyelid at, and lego probably weighed up the cost of the negative publicity so canned the Osprey. 
    WrecknbuildOldfanSumoLegoFizyxgmonkey76mak0137datsunrobbieSilverLove
    If you believe cancel culture is a good thing, then you're part of the problem.  TLG caving is stupid and will only lead to more of the same.
    cody6268SumoLegoBrainsluggedpharmjodgmonkey76panchox1datsunrobbiemsandersstarwars4ever
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2020
    To me, if they thought this set could cause issues, they should have realized it when this set was in development last year. Two weeks before its release, when probably a lot of sets are already made up is way too late. It's not like the Las Vegas skyline set, where they, last minute, had to delay production to make changes due to a horrible tragedy that happened in one of the buildings just weeks before release.

andhe
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,095
    Although I completely agree with @daewoo, @pharmjod and those reacting to oftentimes ludicrous 'Cancel Culture'.

I also treat this situation as different than the recent severing of marketing relationship with Shell Petroleum.  

TLG has always taken the 'high' moral ground when it comes to producing military-related themes or sets.  The fact the Osprey is essentially a military vehicle doesn't put TLG in some sort of hypocritical predicament for me.  However, it did give me pause that TLG would be 'scaling back' their marketing for police-related sets.  That's where the hypocrisy would begin...
    gmonkey76datsunrobbie
    By next week they would have forgotten about a Lego set and been outraged about several other things.
    There always needs to be a new target, otherwise, nobody takes notice.  People have a short attention span, particularly in the US.  Staying relevant - at all costs - informs a lot of what appears on the news...

For instance... is Kanye West really newsworthy?  Did he just release an album?
    andhedatsunrobbie
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,776
    daewoo said:
    If you believe cancel culture is a good thing, then you're part of the problem.  TLG caving is stupid and will only lead to more of the same.
    Eek. I was merely meaning that companies and individuals should be held accountable for their actions and opinions, but on the flipside should be allowed to admit where they made mistakes and rectify them. (I don't want align myself with some larger movement that I'm uninformed of).

Here the mistake was on LEGO's part where they baffflingly designed and produced a military vehicle (which I have no personal objection to) and didn't think it might conflict (no pun intended) with their company policy on military vehicles.

They either had to make up some creative excuse and suffer potential negative publicity (and people forever using it as an example of 'well they made the Osprey so what's wrong with XYZ') or take the financial hit. In no way do I think this is them suffering a late crisis of conscience, but merely a financial decision, as is usually the case with most corporate u-turns. 
    KungFuKennyAyliffebricktuaryBrainsluggedmak0137
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,266
    daewoo said:

Holy crap, enough already.  We get it, you're angry.  Go be angry at LEGO about the LEGO's choices.  Don't start attacking others here for expressing opinions that you disagree with, especially while entirely ignoring the actual points of what they are actually saying and start a real discussion instead of just breaking out their pitchforks and torches to burn the PC heretics.
    bricktuary560HeliportAyliffeIan_SKungFuKennymak0137
  • Sabreman64Sabreman64 Member Posts: 10
    Pathetic of Lego to cave like this. It's to be expected in 2020 though.
    Agreed. It's utterly feeble of Lego to give in to the demands of a small organisation which clearly consists of a bunch of crackpots.

And Lego's statement: "We have long followed the principle of not designing sets with military vehicles" is totally untrue. They produced two (three, if you count the polybag mini set) Sopwith Camel sets. The Sopwith Camel had no function other than as a war plane. The two Sopwith Camel sets even included the plane's twin machine guns. So the Sopwith Camel sets were 100% military vehicles.
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 162
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a call yet for TLG to stop producing police sets.  
    Brainslugged
    edited July 2020
    Fizyx said:
    daewoo said:

Holy crap, enough already.  We get it, you're angry.  Go be angry at LEGO about the LEGO's choices.  Don't start attacking others here for expressing opinions that you disagree with, especially while entirely ignoring the actual points of what they are actually saying and start a real discussion instead of just breaking out their pitchforks and torches to burn the PC heretics.
    You'll know if I'm actually attacking someone.  What I said wasn't even remotely an "attack".

There have been calls (one by some actress I believe) for Lego to stop producing sets with police in them.  All my acquaintances that know I collect Lego have mentioned it to me.
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a call yet for TLG to stop producing police sets.  
    Considering the PD Station has been a top seller since... forever, it will be around.  Forever.
    Sabreman64 said:
    And Lego's statement: "We have long followed the principle of not designing sets with military vehicles" is totally untrue.
    Yes, and they also produced Indiana Jones sets with military folk, and the odd Marvel or DC Superhero set with the arguable military vehicle.  And one could argue that the bulk of SW ships are military as well.

I think for the sake of simplicity, LEGO's statement is accurate.  Those with a short attention span would probably lose the important part of the message if they noted every exception over the years.  They don't produce military vehicles, and particularly those used in modern warfare.  A WWI-era biplane really isn't relevant to kids playing 'war' in 2020.  

I don't think any reasonable person would consider the Imperial Flagship to be a military vehicle.  It's a historic boat not relevant to aggrandizing war and conflict.
    andheFizyx
    Here is LEGO's newly written policy that fits in: We love war but only if it was over 100 years ago or is fictionalized. :-)

Although they seem not to like historical warfare that much these days either given the lack of Vikings, Castle, or other historical army builders. But you can always get hold of spears and landmines in other ways.

Fizyxgmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,357
    Brick fanatics is reporting Lego has approved the sale of product already shipped to retailers. They will just not replenish
    Fizyx
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 631
    Brick fanatics is reporting Lego has approved the sale of product already shipped to retailers. They will just not replenish
    And on eBay they are going for serious amounts... 
    Fizyx
    Don't worry, someone has started a change.org petition for LEGO to bring it back!

• panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 718

dang. I wonder what the odds are of being able to get one. since they probably aren't going to show up at my local rural Walmart.....

not a big deal. I truly would only want one for the resale opportunity. Better to have someone that actually wants the set to get one.

• jedivalkyriejedivalkyrie Member Posts: 354
    Or you could just look on eBay where they’re going for $1,000+++.....
    I wonder if that will last or if it will drop off and resellers will get left hanging once the story gets old? Remember the limited Technic crawler? 
    gmonkey76SumoLego560Heliport
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 2,157
    Fireheart said:
    And on eBay they are going for serious amounts... 
    All from sellers in New Zealand in with zero or very low feedback ratings. 
    gmonkey76
  • typocorrectotypocorrecto Member Posts: 197
    Why are people referencing "cancel culture"? Who was calling for this set to be cancelled? Seems like many are creating a strawman for some reason.
    ^ It's in the original post, and in the underlying news story.
    gmonkey76
    typo said:
    Why are people referencing "cancel culture"? Who was calling for this set to be cancelled? Seems like many are creating a strawman for some reason.
    Second sentence of the first post.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,125
    I wonder if that will last or if it will drop off and resellers will get left hanging once the story gets old? Remember the limited Technic crawler? 
    I do - I have several of them in storage locker several thousands of miles away! Do people not want them any more? D'oh! I think it's about the only set I've purchased specifically to sell on.
    Those Crawlers still sell for £350-380, so were a decent investment if you bought at RRP. Not so good if you bought at the bubble prices though. A new UK seller on BL has 90 of them at £395 although not sold any at that price. Anyone we know?
    CCC said:
    Those Crawlers still sell for £350-380, so were a decent investment if you bought at RRP. Not so good if you bought at the bubble prices though. A new UK seller on BL has 90 of them at £395 although not sold any at that price. Anyone we know?
    Maybe that one guy who posted on here about driving around the whole of GB buying them all up? Lol. 

I actually got two, one from [email protected] and one a day later when TRU had some. I built one and really enjoyed it, was a great set. Much better looking muscle car than the ugly F&F one they just put out.
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 934
    Wasn't it Billybrown or something like that?  He vanished off here after that.

Best time to sell them was straight away; could get 450 for them; they've then stuck at 400 ever since.
    gmonkey76
    Yes, I think he said he sold all his though to someone that was buying up loads.

But yes, they were the classic instant peak after out of stock, then no growth whatsoever, with a slight fall if you need to sell quickly.
    gmonkey76