Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

European sets with American warning stickers?

OldTownBricksOldTownBricks VirginiaMember Posts: 26
Has anyone seen this before? It appears to be a European set with stickers containing the USA specific warnings and info. 

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,805
    It's been mentioned in the "What are you buying right now?" discussion. It appears that, due to the Mexico factory being shut down (and maybe other ligistics issues), LEGO has sent European-made sets to North America, and the stickers are to make them compliant with US laws. I wonder if these will sell for more on the aftermarket?
    ReesesPiecesPyrobugAstrobricksMynattkiki180703
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,118
    You mean this is all they had to for the Lego House sets they teased us with???
    I seem to recall suggesting exactly this 🙄
    PyrobugReesesPieces
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 151
    Picked up the Hall of Armor #76125 tonight at Target and it’s covered in the US stickers. I think it’s kinda neat. A lot of sets there had them, including Harry Potter and Minecraft. 
    Astrobricks
    edited June 7
    Has anyone looked at the tape seals on the boxes? What factory are they from?
    Interesting point you bring up. I just checked and my Hall of Armor set doesn’t have tape seals, but instead has thumb push tabs.
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,034
    edited June 7
    Seen that before with imported food/drink like Mexican Coca-Cola but not with LEGO. Makes sense as a way around trouble with the Mexico factory. Didn't see any such sets at the Target near me.
    Like packages an odd size in Imperial measure because it's a round number in metric
    I looked at several sets at West St. Paul Target- some had the thumb-press thingies instead of tape, for instance #75273. When I got home I checked my box for that set, bought in January, and it has tape seals. The codes I looked at seemed to be all different. The only one I remember was 08HO for #41381.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,874
     I wonder if these will sell for more on the aftermarket?
    If it is a lot of sets that it is being done for, then I doubt it.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,586
    CCC said:
     I wonder if these will sell for more on the aftermarket?
    If it is a lot of sets that it is being done for, then I doubt it.
    But what if it's a "rare" mistake with an upside down sticker? Surely I can sell that for thousands on Ebay. 
    KungFuKennyBumblepants560HeliportpxchrisdavetheoxygenmanPyrobugkiki180703
    bpk2300 said:
    Interesting point you bring up. I just checked and my Hall of Armor set doesn’t have tape seals, but instead has thumb push tabs.
    I believe the thumb press boxes have the same information embossed near the UPC code. It’s usually on the area of the blank white rectangle, which sometimes is not next to the UPC.
    Here is a copy of the letter codes again.

H = Nyíregyháza, Hungary
        R = Ciénega de Flores, Mexico
        S = Kladno, Czech Republic
        Q = Purkersdorf, Austria
        B = Shenzhen, China (Not Confirmed)
        M = Billund, Denmark (Not Confirmed) 
        O = Billund, Denmark (Not Confirmed) 
    panchox1
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 58
    Maybe the earlier produced sets are now rarer than the ones with the stickers.

On a related topic, I wonder why LEGO hasn't just adopted a universal package that has all the information on it for all the markets.  I don't think most of the world would mind if their boxes had the number of pieces printed on them.
    cody6268
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,150
    edited June 11
    Somewhere I have a 1970s set with the USA set number (back then the USA had different set numbers from the rest of the world).  This set was the EU version with a USA set number sticker over the set number on the top of the box.  When I find it, I will post it.  I just migrated all my LEGO images to a new computer... 34,000 from 1949-2020, most of which are used in my upcoming updated Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide!  No wonder I can't find things at a moments notice... ;-)
    pxchris
    Today at target I noticed a bunch of sets with the add-on stickers. I looked for the factory codes. A few sets had tape seals and some had the codes printed in that empty white rectangle. The factory codes were either S or H (Czech or Hungary).
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 487
    European sets don't have small parts warnings?

Huh...European kids must love eating Lego then...*devious thoughts ensue*

XD
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 480

XD
    I'm sure you're joking around, but the US is such a litigious society that I'm surprised the whole box itself isn't just a huge warning label at this point.
    dvw2
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,165
    Calm, rational discussion of an interesting development in our little hobby. This is why this forum is invaluable. This same discussion on the Brickset FB page looks like this:

560Heliportbpk2300KungFuKennyBumblepantsMynattdatsunrobbiekiki180703
    That's hilarious. Why would TLG put stickers on the boxes if they weren't required to? They would just include the sticker sheet in the box, and the instructions would show us where to put them! ;-)
    Apparently Mr. Nußbaum is German... and therefore would not see a USA version of set 42093.... WITH parts count...

560HeliportKungFuKenny
    Ditto for the USA Jurassic Park T-Rex.... with parts count...

560HeliportKungFuKenny
    edited June 16
    Add the above to the long list of reasons why I deleted my Facebook account back in 2012 
    560HeliportAstrobricksgmonkey76KungFuKennykiki180703
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 158
    This is why I'm not a fan of FB. I have an account but it is mostly to access info from companies I do business with.   It bugs me how may companies force one to use FB, Twitter, Instagram,et al. to receive the latest news info from them, join contests and such.
    Cymbelinecody6268

XD
    They do, they say "Warning! Choking hazard. Small parts." in many languages on the sides of the boxes.
    KingAlanI
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 417
    My 20th Anniversary Slave 1, ordered during May 4 promos, arrived yesterday. It has the stickers. The one on the front is not quite aligned. I had to put the box away to avoid my OCD!  :D (I don't really care about the alignment, I just can't let myself stare at it)
    Astrobricks
    edited June 24
    At Target
    #21044 #21051 #76895 #75551 #41366 #41374 #41378 #11005 #60197 #60215 #75214 #10713 re-stickered
    Most of what is there is regular North America production but most of that has been there awhile rather than a restock and one of the aisles is looking pretty empty

CCC said:

XD
    They do, they say "Warning! Choking hazard. Small parts." in many languages on the sides of the boxes.
    And since those languages include English, French and Spanish, LEGO wouldn't need to add any

I doubt different dialects would matter for such a short phrase and I rarely see such translations. For example except for Simplified and Traditional Chinese Magic the Gathering cards are printed in only one version of a language.

I also see German, Italian, Portuguese, Greek, Korean, Russian, a few Scandinavian presumably including Danish, 2 other Asian (Chinese dialects? Chinese and Japanese?)
    It may also be due to prominence or position on the box, the size of the text, and so on.
    LEGO case at the WalMart near me has mostly unstickered sets but a stickered #75957
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 280
    edited July 9
    When did they start producing LEGO here in the US again? Perhaps this refers to the stickers on the box?
    cody6268 said:
    When did they start producing LEGO here in the US again? Perhaps this refers to the stickers on the box?
    They didn’t. The factory for NA product is in Mexico. It was shut down for a while due to COVID. The stickers are relabeling of European production so it can be legally sold in the US.
    edited July 15
    bpk2300 said:
    I believe the thumb press boxes have the same information embossed near the UPC code. It’s usually on the area of the blank white rectangle, which sometimes is not next to the UPC.
    At the risk of continuing a conversation with just myself... :)

I bought #75249 at Target last week, and it has normal NA box labeling (no stickers). However, it is the kind you open with thumb tabs, so no tape seals. In the white rectangle near the UPC is a small 2D bar code and the codes:
    223S0
    I don’t see any embossed codes on the box anywhere.
    If the “S” above means the Czech factory, then they must be doing NA labeling over there. But the 223S0 code doesn’t quite track with the decoding previously posted here. The trailing 0 probably means 2020, but I’m not sure about 223. Maybe second day of 23rd week, or third day of 22nd week? That would be end of May, start of June by my count. 
    Maybe 025759 is a time stamp accurate to the second?