Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Saving card board boxes?

SteverdSteverd Member Posts: 29
edited April 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
So does anyone else save the card board boxes used by [email protected]?
Do you save the Legos you plan to resell in the [email protected] boxes?
Or save and break them down for future use?
Or toss out and plan to get new boxes in the future for shipping?

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    I have a weird habit of saving LEGO [email protected] boxes just to save the memory of that purchase. Sounds weird, I know. But I'm not a hoarder, lol. I actually have o particular use for these but who knows, maybe I'll move in the future and need to use them.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I just packed away a large [email protected] box stuffed with flattened Lego set boxes. I also use them to temporarily store small sets that I dont have room to display but I'm not ready to pack away yet. Keeps the dust off of them at least!
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Only one I kept was the one I store my ucs falcon in. All others I have thrown away. The sealed sets take up enough room that if I do sell them in the future I will just get new boxes.
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    This is funny because I just threw out about ten [email protected] boxes.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    I had about five or six of the boxes with two parts (container and lid) and used them last week when moving. The other [email protected] boxes I kept for my Millennium Falcon, Death Star and Star Destroyer boxes and because I moved into a smaller place I decided to flatten all my LEGO boxes and used [email protected] boxes for them too. Also still have some smaller, unopened boxes of 5623 and 6177.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    LEGO [email protected] boxes are far sturdier than boxes from most standard e-tailers, particularly the ones that contain the additional insert. Because of this and because my collection is large and requires stacking, I never discard a [email protected] box.
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    My cats love to play in them.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Don't they lose value once you open the seal on the box? I leave most of my collection in the original [email protected] boxes so everything stays MISBISB.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    Don't they lose value once you open the seal on the box? I leave most of my collection in the original [email protected] boxes so everything stays MISBISB.
    LOL, well I guess that is one way to keep your product to be EXTRA MISB. But aren't you worried about opening the box 10 years after purchase only to find they put in the wrong product in the box?
    I think as long as the Lego set's box itself is sealed it retains it's value. I'm a collector and personally would want to open the S&H box to at least confirm the correct product is packed inside. That's just my paranoia though :)
  • SteverdSteverd Member Posts: 29
    My thought is that on sets that I have more than one like Fire Brigade I will resell in the future. The card board box it came in is pretty large and would probably cost me t least a dollar or more from Uline to replace. So I think it might be down to storage space vs cost of replacing the box if you do resell in the future.
    Thoughts on that?
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited April 2012
    ^^^^ LOL. I'm now worried I still have quite a few MISBISB sets! I wonder what they actually look like!

I tend to keep all my [email protected] boxes and use them to keep the boxed sets in when I don't have them out / on display. I've sorted them by theme etc and always challenge myself to see how many I can arrange into each [email protected] box, whether I can fit a complete theme in, etc. They're then stacked and stored (many in the loft).
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    LOL, well I guess that is one way to keep your product to be EXTRA MISB. But aren't you worried about opening the box 10 years after purchase only to find they put in the wrong product in the box?
    I thought about leaving my Death Star in the [email protected] box, but I did not want them to put the SSD or something. IMO, value for a MISBISB depends on the set. The 10179 Millennium Falcon is worth a tad bit more in the sealed [email protected] box.

• BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Why would a set be worth more sealed up in the shipping box it came in and never opened? I've never even heard of that -- that makes no sense, and have never seen any indication that is true. I don't believe 10179 is worth any more sealed up and never opened in its shipping box than not.

If anything, it might be easier to sell a Falcon that ships in the original box, just because a buyer knows it will be packaged well and less prone to shipment damage. But that doesn't mean you couldn't have ever opened it up and taken it out.

In fact, I would never even buy something like that from someone who had never even opened it. How would they even know the condition the set was in? For all they know, there could be a huge gash in the front of the box, or a huge dented corner or something.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Possibly because DaddyDeuce was 'aving a larf. It worked for me, anyway.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Even better would be if you could convince the delivery driver to leave the [email protected] carton in his truck, lock the truck, and leave you the keys. Then you could sell them MISBISBILT.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^haha MISBISBILT! You can never be too cautious when it comes to perfect boxes.
    ^^Would you ship internationally :)
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,265
    ^ wouldn't be able to ship internationally and keep it "ILT" since overseas vehicle shipping requires them to be unlocked I believe for customs purposes. Plus they don't guarantee any personal belongings left in shipped vehicles.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    I would prefer Lego to keep it in a locked Lego safe onsite and just send me a stock certificate...it would be MISBILLS...or better yet, don't even put an actual set in the safe, just the purchase order for the various chemicals that would have been purchased to make the bricks....in a nice frame of course.
    I would prefer Lego to keep it in a locked Lego safe onsite and just send me a stock certificate...it would be MISBILLS...or better yet, don't even put an actual set in the safe, just the purchase order for the various chemicals that would have been purchased to make the bricks....in a nice frame of course.
    hehehe, Remember when Topps did this!?!
    It was called E-Topps, or eTopps. Did that ever catch on?

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I keep most of the shipping boxes from S&H, they are good for shipping out sets that I sell.

Those I don't keep had too much rough handling in shipping, not every box can be reused.
    I keep most of the shipping boxes from S&H, they are good for shipping out sets that I sell.

Those I don't keep had too much rough handling in shipping, not every box can be reused.
    That's the whole thing. When and if I resell some of these larger sets: DS, FB, etc
    I will need a box to ship the sets in. I am going to break the boxes down and store in my shop or garage for future use.