Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO is really screwing up Bricklink

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,288
    SumoLego said:
    Put all of the Fantasy Birds with the Monster Birds.  But not with Dragons.  
    I look forward to the Friends Animal cube series with a platypus so they can catalog that
    KungFuKennygmonkey76andheToc13sklamb
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,852
    edited May 7
    It's a dinosaur.  Duh!

Edit - a Fantasy dinosaur, not a real dinosaur.  Platypusesess are not real animals.  Amphibious Trash Pandas that lay eggs aren't a real thing.
    Cyberdragongmonkey76
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 865
    They'll co-exist long enough to get the majority of people using XP, then it'll go.
    oldtodd33tspike
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 484
    MaffyD said:
    jnscoelho said:
    Well, I often still fit in those that "might not know the theme, might not know the name of a piece, but knows kinda what it looks like", and I always manage to find it using the current system. I don't need a "your dumb" version to help me. I just don't expect that the thing I'm searching for is always the first one on the list!
    But I guess many people nowadays don't realize that doing a search implies... searching. Mind-blowing, I know.
    Sarcasm aside, you need to think about your definitions of 'dumb', 'people nowadays', 'manage' and 'searching' if you are trying to make something easier to use. And remember that personal experience is anecdotal at best, and not applicable to everyone. Mind-blowing, I know.
    Try to think about your definition of easier. Because your anecdotal experience is different from mine, or so people say... Nowadays.
    MaffyD
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,126
    SumoLego said:

But getting to the Moon is still exceptionally difficult.  
    Not if you've got a #918 and you've been imagining a heap of crazy things from having been shut in for seven weeks!
    560HeliportKungFuKennyToc13
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,502
    Has anyone noticed on the old BL site, if you search for a set the drop down menu links are broken and you have to click the search button anyway?
    jnscoelhodavetheoxygenman
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,547
    Yes, they have been tinkering with a few things around the search function. Even minor search errors return a "were you looking for ?" when in the past they would have had a guess at what you were searching for. The site is also quite slow recently, which doesn't help.
    SumoLego
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 484
    oldtodd33 said:
    Has anyone noticed on the old BL site, if you search for a set the drop down menu links are broken and you have to click the search button anyway?
    Yes, it is happening frequently.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,001
    edited May 8
    Not sure if this is related to the XP rollout but it seems BL is deleting some variants of parts from the catalog because the differences don’t matter to “most users”.  I noticed when looking at getting some older parts to complete some Classic Space sets- example below...

Maybe not a big deal unless you are a purist but thought it was interesting...
    SumoLegodatsunrobbiegmonkey76pxchrisCyberdragontspikeMynatt
    Geez, that seems a little judgy?  

I don't know what to say,
    Don't know what to do,
    Don't know if it really even matters to you,
    How can I make you see...
    Oh, it matters to me.
    Oh, it matters to me...
    It matters to me...

I am imagining a dejected pile of slotted 1x1s quietly reflecting their lack of consequence.
    KungFuKenny560HeliportMr_CrossCyberdragonToc13
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,555
    ^It's on the wanted lists for 1531 users who wanted it specifically, do they consider those customers to be of little or no consequence?
    SumoLegoKungFuKenny560Heliportlkliment2Mr_Crossgmonkey76Cyberdragon
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,477
    Why delete it? Does it really use too much memory or something? I mean, I could see not creating a new, separate listing, but since it already exists why not leave it? 
    SumoLegoKungFuKennygmonkey76Cyberdragon
    ^ Precisely!  I don't get why leaving the variation/distinction is such an issue when the pieces are different.
    560HeliportMr_Crossgmonkey76KungFuKennydrdavewatforddatsunrobbieCyberdragontspike
    If they delete three of those four plates w/clips... a new user might think the ones they have are defective, or fakes... I don't see how that would be good for anyone- buyers, sellers, or TLG.
    andhegmonkey76KungFuKennyCyberdragon
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 644
    That's an unfortunate description of the 4070a deletion reason (which actually occurred at least a year ago now).  I remember discussion at the time where they found a LEGO employee who said that the slot was actually a molding tool defect, and not an intended design feature, so that's why BL felt comfortable deleting that version.  Why not just say that in the reason?

And woe to the jerk who ever deletes all the clip versions from the catalog search; as a classic set collector, I want the particular clip design that was contemporary to that era. The sellers who care enough to list the variants are the ones who'll get my business.  The ones who list one variant but actually mix them all up are the ones who have my eternal scorn...
    560HeliportKungFuKennyBumblepantsandheMr_Crossgmonkey76JudgeChuckpxchrisdatsunrobbie
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,502
    Or what about parts 4081a and 4081b? One of them you are supposed to put an antenna through in some sets and the other you can't because of the design change. 
    KungFuKennyCyberdragon
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,617
    As far as I'm aware they're only deleting the 'undetermined' variant of parts, which is fine by me because almost no-one actually lists their parts under those variants, so there's very few parts listed under them.
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 118
    I completely agree on the issue of possible part variants no longer being discernible. And as @oldtodd33 mentioned, some construction errors can result at times. I would hope LEGO has the wisdom to at least realize THAT point, and, as such, not remove variants. BL has “Undetermined ____ Type” for a number of parts. Naturally, I can see without having those. Otherwise I think that all variants should be left as is, because picking and choosing what variants stay and what variants go is a slippery slope.
    Not sure if this is related to the XP rollout but it seems BL is deleting some variants of parts from the catalog because the differences don’t matter to “most users”.  I noticed when looking at getting some older parts to complete some Classic Space sets- example below...

I think it has been marked for deletion since about 2012.

I don't think that there are any plans for removal of parts where the difference is actually functional. I'd still like the ability to put an "any one of these" onto a wants list. For example, with the clips, sometimes differences matter. Other times, they do not.

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,013
    Guys, guys, what if you're looking at this all wrong? What if it's actually Bricklink that's screwing up Lego?
    560Heliport
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 644
    CCC said:

I think it has been marked for deletion since about 2012.

I don't think that there are any plans for removal of parts where the difference is actually functional. I'd still like the ability to put an "any one of these" onto a wants list. For example, with the clips, sometimes differences matter. Other times, they do not.

Good idea, there are certainly times where the part variant doesn't matter, and we don't care which one we get.  But as a customer I'd like to be the one to make the choice, not the website or the seller.
    560HeliportKungFuKennySumoLegoandhe
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,559
    Was just playing around on the new bricklink, and I don't like it one bit. Hopefully they fix it, or go back to the old one.
    SumoLegoKungFuKennypxchrisdatsunrobbie
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 308
    klinton said:
    Guys, guys, what if you're looking at this all wrong? What if it's actually Bricklink that's screwing up Lego?
    From what I've read about the new site so far, it sounds like a case of Bricklink screwing up Bricklink more than anything...
    SumoLegostluxklinton
    klinton said:
    Then the [email protected] site would work properly, the inventory of sets would be accurate, and all of the sets and minifigures (retired and in-production) would be organized by theme!

If only Bricklink had a VIP Program... then maybe that wouldn't reverse-suck!
    klintongmonkey76tspike
    Bricklink hasn't worked properly for years and years, and has underlying code which should have been retired about 10 years ago, so I'm not sure how Lego's website would be any better if BL were running it!
    stluxSumoLego
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,756
    jnscoelho said:
    MaffyD said:
    jnscoelho said:
    Well, I often still fit in those that "might not know the theme, might not know the name of a piece, but knows kinda what it looks like", and I always manage to find it using the current system. I don't need a "your dumb" version to help me. I just don't expect that the thing I'm searching for is always the first one on the list!
    But I guess many people nowadays don't realize that doing a search implies... searching. Mind-blowing, I know.
    Sarcasm aside, you need to think about your definitions of 'dumb', 'people nowadays', 'manage' and 'searching' if you are trying to make something easier to use. And remember that personal experience is anecdotal at best, and not applicable to everyone. Mind-blowing, I know.
    Try to think about your definition of easier. Because your anecdotal experience is different from mine, or so people say... Nowadays.
    'Nowadays' meaning 'since time began', right? :-) Point taken though.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 813
    I too am a big stickler for getting the right vintage mold of parts for the set. I've replaced numerous parts on used sets I've bought off eBay or Bricklink with the proper vintage parts. I truly hope that LEGO and the Bricklink team aren't stupid enough to eliminate the mold variants from the catalog.

That said, I am for removing the "undermined type" variants and the other clean up actions that have been in place for a number of years already.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76Oldfan
    Perhaps it’s still a result of shutdowns, but is it just me or are there far fewer buying options for sets on BL now?
    Which sets? A lot of sellers have reported increased sales during lockdown.

edited May 19
    lkliment2 said:
    Perhaps it’s still a result of shutdowns, but is it just me or are there far fewer buying options for sets on BL now?
    CCC said:

I may be part of the problem- I looked back and I have had over 30 BL orders since March 1st!  It seems like there have been some good deals recently -most of the stores I used had store-wide sales and the vintage sets and pieces I bought were cheaper than eBay by 30-50% in most cases.
    SumoLego
    I'm surprised people have to discount to sell at the moment. I increased my prices to cut down my orders, some of the prices people are paying have gone through the roof recently.

SumoLegoandhe
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 245
    Indeed I took all my sets off sale on Bricklink and just focused on having them on ebay where they've just been selling insanely fast, even at higher prices. I've sold 3/4 of all of my stock of sets in the last 8 weeks, and trying to keep up with managing the inventory on both sites simultaneously was just impossible.
    CCC said:
    I'm surprised people have to discount to sell at the moment. I increased my prices to cut down my orders, some of the prices people are paying have gone through the roof recently.

DB361 said:
    Indeed I took all my sets off sale on Bricklink and just focused on having them on ebay where they've just been selling insanely fast, even at higher prices. I've sold 3/4 of all of my stock of sets in the last 8 weeks, and trying to keep up with managing the inventory on both sites simultaneously was just impossible.
    Maybe some difference in US vs UK markets?  I have been selling quite a bit on eBay and the sell prices are 20-30% higher in some cases than they were 2 months ago (especially UCS SW and modulars)
    CCC said:

I would imagine they have honestly. And conversations I’ve had with sellers would indicate as such, but I am mainly referring to SW sets to answer your question. It would also be worth noting that I mainly look at U.S. sellers; it just seems there are fewer options than usual. 
    I do jigsaws too, and those have gone up in price quite a bit on ebay recently. It seems now is not the time to buy things to do indoors!
    andhedmcc0
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 261
    lkliment2 said:
    CCC said:

I would imagine they have honestly. And conversations I’ve had with sellers would indicate as such, but I am mainly referring to SW sets to answer your question. It would also be worth noting that I mainly look at U.S. sellers; it just seems there are fewer options than usual. 
    I think it, quite literally, is that there aren't many sets left available to sell.  Some of it might be a lag in folks listing their sets, but, if the stories I'm hearing about "sales through the roof" are true, well, that means the supply is drying up.  Will be very interesting to see how things shake out the next 1-3 months.  There may truly be very little inventory out there to shift...
    lkliment2andhe
    I do jigsaws too, and those have gone up in price quite a bit on ebay recently. It seems now is not the time to buy things to do indoors!
    We've been doing LEGO outdoors today. It was actually old DUPLO that someone else was dumping so I don't care too much about it getting damaged. I think they used to play with it in a sand pit anyway.

I like to take LEGO when I go camping, for something to do in between hiking. Bright Red looks especially striking in sunlight. (I figure an hour or two of direct sun isn't that harmful.)
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,126
    Seems that I'm a moany thing at the moment. Perhaps it's cabin fever making me cranky but Bricklink is testing my patience currently. It's logging me out between and during visits. It's so slow that I'm getting "server dropped the connection" responses. Random things intermittently don't work, adding items to a new wishlist was yesterday's fun.
    I don't like BrickOwl very much, I find it harder to navigate and I'm reluctant to spend the time creating wants lists and finding out properly how it does work. However, I will migrate my business there for the majority of my parts purchases unless LEGO sorts out Bricklink pretty sharpish. You know, because despite the inventory and GUI it does have many redeeming features - seemingly that it actually works and doesn't irritate me every single visit.
    KungFuKennySumoLego
    The past few days have been quite hard on BL. Auto-log outs, inventory not updating correctly after orders placed, massive time-outs, time-outs when searching.
    KungFuKennySumoLego
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,559
    ^ So LEGO has officially moved it to whatever they have been using for [email protected], and it's up to their website standards.
    BumblepantsKungFuKennySumoLegoOldfanCyberdragon
    @SumoLego "I think you over-estimate their chances..."
    SumoLegogmonkey76BumblepantsCyberdragon
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 628
    This is a big company messing with an established market.
    cody6268
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 273
    flord said:
    SumoLego said:
    Mr_Cross said:
    Oh. That's disappointing and simultaneously very annoying. When is XP happening?
    I'm already bracing for BrickLink - Vista Edition.
    Well, as long as we don't get a Bricklink 95 Edition.

Or worse, Bricklink 8.1....
    SumoLego
    cody6268 said:
    flord said:
    Well, as long as we don't get a Bricklink 95 Edition.

Or worse, Bricklink 8.1....
    I see Bricklink Tiles in your future.  And an a counter-intuitive inaccessible Start menu.
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 455
    @SumoLego "I think you over-estimate their chances..."
    Yep, they must still be using ARPAnet.
    SumoLego
    I think Al Gore is the only one using that system.