Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO is really screwing up Bricklink

Comments

• DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 672
    Q parts are gone ☹️
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 699
    ^ Surely if Bricklink becomes that bad people will buy elsewhere. Brickowl has been mentioned a fair bit and other sites will pop up to fill the void.

I buy parts direct from Lego but obviously only those in stock at a decent price, if they’re older or harder to find I’ll use Bricklink or go somewhere else.
    SumoLegoandheLordmoral
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,603
    DeMontes said:
    Q parts are gone ☹️
    Well, that's one groups of sellers (and buyers) who will presumably decamp to BrickOwl.... Plus the chromers, customisers and eventually everybody else as the critical mass shifts away from BL.

Once again you have to wonder what the purpose of the purchase was. There are all sorts of hypotheses out there - tapping into user data, control of secondary market etc. etc., but BL will only bring value to LEGO if people keep using it. Except they won't if they're gradually driven away.....

Next step: LEGO buys BrickOwl. Then someone will set up another alternative. Then rinse and repeat ad infinitum.
    560HeliportdatsunrobbiepxchrisSumoLegoMr_CrossmadforLEGOcatwranglerLordmoral
  • ToyTownBreakDownToyTownBreakDown Michigan, USAMember Posts: 5
    I’ve sent them this feedback but I’ll post it here as well. I’m a heavy buyer on BrickLink. I’m never going to be a seller. While the cosmetic changes are nice, overall the update has destroyed usability and organization. Too much is hidden or eliminated. Way too much screen real estate is wasted while providing no useable information. The search by part ID is useless as they removed the previously well-organized parts catalog that had info like part ID to begin with. If I don’t know the part ID I can’t search for it.

These changes will result in me spending less money on the site. It will result in lost sales. Period. 
    KungFuKennypxchrisMr_Crossgmonkey76Lordmoral
  • wardward Member Posts: 18
    Unfortunately, also the inventory of M:Tron: 6862 has been removed from bricklink.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,557

Once again you have to wonder what the purpose of the purchase was. There are all sorts of hypotheses out there - tapping into user data, control of secondary market etc. etc., 
    Given the number of IDEAS proposals that reach 10K, it wouldn't surprise me if some started to appear as another round of BL AFOL programme sets (if unlicensed). If they are not quite ready to commit to a large IDEAS run but still think there might be money in the rejected ones, then making smaller runs via BL might work. There is what, something like 25 IDEAS for the next review. So a lot that will be rejected.
    catwrangler
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,563
    So will the lack of a price guide mean that when I part sets out as a seller i will have to guess the prices as opposed to using current market averages?

Also will the changed catalogue mean that the Brick Owl/Brick Link store inventory synchronisation software (BrickSync) will no longer function?
    Waterjedi17
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 597
    Sorry, but it's not an improvement...
    If I search for set #853866, I get 17 lots in v2, but 4 lots in Bricklink r3... They just migrated 1/4 of the listing for testing?
    And the separation between domestic and international is just stupid, makes it harder to compare prices.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 898
    Although live, this version of BLXP isn't the final product. They've said that many other things are being worked on - store fronts for one - and I suspect the price guide is another. BL doesn't work without it.

The real worry is if they make access to the price guide come at a cost, perhaps a subscription basis or if you generate a certain level of commission or something.

Another worry for professional sellers is the API. If this goes or changes substantially, it will break BrickStock and a lot of bespoke software out there that many rely on. Again, they could make access come at a cost.

I certainly wouldn't put it past BL creating membership 'levels' like Ebay.
    Brickfan50
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 520
    An API crappification overhaul would also break Stud.io's integration.

*demonic voice* "There is no Brickset...only Bricklink!"

"What, who said that?"

"You will not click on that new tab...I see you searching elsewhere...STOP IT!"

"I think I'll just go now..."

"NO...you will STAY!"

*ad for discount TP appears*

"oooo...toilet paper!"

"Yes my sheep, stay where we can control your lego purchases...MWAHAHAHAHAHAAA"

*real AFOL appears*

"LEGO! What are you doing?! Aren't you supposed to be considerate to all to customers?"

*Darth Vader appears* "JOIN THE DARK SIDE!"

"AAAAAAHHH!" *real AFOL runs away*

...The End (of usable BL)
    Aleydita said:
    Although live, this version of BLXP isn't the final product. They've said that many other things are being worked on - store fronts for one - and I suspect the price guide is another. BL doesn't work without it.

This is the problem. It is far from the final product, but has been made live. They have also changed a number of things on the classic site to fit the requirements of the XP site - you only need to look at the forum to see the problems that changing the working of order status has given many sellers. And there was no warning whatsoever, they just make changes to a live system to fit with a new system that could well be months or years away. XP was announced, what is it, two years ago now? 

Most companies work on something, get it close to being finished, then beta test it. And don't screw up the current working system with something that is far from complete. Not BL. 
    Brickfan50Fizyx
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 589
    edited May 2020
    pxchris said:
    I've already found numerous things about the new site that I do not like.

I too am a fan of change, I honestly am, but there are a number of features that I used on a regular basis that are no longer available! Just a few examples:

• Instructions and boxes aren't listed in the XP catalog
    • Set part inventories don't have the option to sort pieces by color and they do not have a print layout
    • Sets and minifigures are often not listed by theme (or sub-theme)
    • Even searching a theme won't come up with the appropriate results - for example, searching Spyrius does not bring up any of the Spyrius sets - go to the Space category and then try to filter by a keyword Spyrius, 0 results - this is absolutely NOT an improvement for new or existing users
    • The only condition options on sets are New, sealed; New, complete; and Used, complete - so no more listings for used partial sets - just browsing a few examples, there are lots and lots of listings in the old catalog that are not in the new one
    • All of the price and sales history is gone, so you can't see if the prices you do find are good or not
    • There is no way to see all of the items available from all sellers at a time, only from either "domestic" or "international" groupings
    • When viewing the listings on a part, minifigure, or set, there is no easy way to open up that store that is selling that thing so that you can browse their other listings 
    • Browsing through your wanted lists is much more confusing, especially if you have multiples of them
    • You cannot select a handful of items from your wanted list and see which stores carry those items, only the "easy buy" option is available
    This is just after spending a short time on the site.
    All I can say is that I hope they keep the "classic" version around for a long time to come, because this is bad for hardcore users.
    Can't select just Europe as well!

I remember the Wants List changes a while back. They took some getting used to, but I gradually phased out going to the old site as I found my required functionality in the new site and learned new ways of doing the same tasks. This site has potential. I really like the bigger images in part search results, that will save a lot of clicking through.

Presumably all the data will gradually get tagged properly in time and they'll reinstate the price guide - feels very unlikely that they won't. Also just seen that the orders page shows you a few items from each order as well, I like that detail!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,001
    ward said:
    Unfortunately, also the inventory of M:Tron: 6862 has been removed from bricklink.

A bit off topic, but I did not know there was a super model for MTron.. Interesting. I can kind of see why that occurred, but they couldn't just put the inventory of all three sets into the inventory for #6862 (and it was probably already there anyway at some point)?
    Especially since #1593 (and more to the point #6861) still has an inventory list even though it is a combination of sets.

Actually going to print the inventory list for the #6861 set now before someone '86's' it..lol
    pxchris
  • CrockAlleyCrockAlley New York StateMember Posts: 3
    I love the design of the responsive site. The category display with thumbnail pictures is much easier to navigate on my mobile device. I appreciate the filters on part pages. For example, the minifig torso page has a filter for plain or decorated, so we don’t need the extra top-level category. 

It’s a huge, necessary step for Bricklink, and I’m excited to see them fine-tune the new site. 
    I love the design of the responsive site. The category display with thumbnail pictures is much easier to navigate on my mobile device. I appreciate the filters on part pages. For example, the minifig torso page has a filter for plain or decorated, so we don’t need the extra top-level category. 

It’s a huge, necessary step for Bricklink, and I’m excited to see them fine-tune the new site. 
    Have you tried putting together, say, a 400 piece order?

pxchrisgmonkey76Cyberdragon
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,407
    ...and right now it's completely borked. Won't load on any of my devices, been trying for about 15 minutes now, on and off.
    SumoLegoKungFuKennygmonkey76
    Obviously, there doesn’t seem to be any access to stores yet. I imagine that’s coming down the line. This is beta, remember, not final release. 

I DO know that navigating the catalog and adding parts to my wanted lists is about 10,000 times easier now on my mobile device. 
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 589
    Definitely heard the term 'borked' a lot before, if that's what you mean!
    SumoLegoMr_Cross
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,407
    SumoLego said:
    Is that a thing?
    It is indeed. Borked or borken, usually tech stuff or IT that isn't working.

(the link is to urban dictionary, although merriam webster also has an entry)

Although, in fairness, Bricklink is working again (for) now.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,003
    edited May 2020
    Is anyone else having problems logging in to the old site? Last night it wouldn't log me in, saying ID/password mismatch (and I noticed that the character limit for passwords is now shorter than my password, bizarrely). So I reset it and logged in. I ticked the 'keep me logged in' box.

This morning I'm logged out again, and it's again saying ID/password mismatch. I can, however, log in on the new site and then go to the old site. Very odd.
    edited May 2020
    Obviously, there doesn’t seem to be any access to stores yet. I imagine that’s coming down the line. This is beta, remember, not final release. 

I DO know that navigating the catalog and adding parts to my wanted lists is about 10,000 times easier now on my mobile device. 
    And that is the root of the problem. They are going for the mobile device market, forgetting about people that use a computer instead. It is a shame they didn't keep the original catalogue, then have two different interfaces to it - a picture based one for those wanting to buy a couple of parts or a set on a mobile device, and the original style interface for those that want to build larger orders on a computer. 

It may be that they want to become the amazon / ebay for LEGO sets. They are not going to compete with them for set sales. Their USP is (and soon to be was) being able to order parts that you want. They are borking that going after the one click sales.

Out of interest, how many people are using an LDD type designer on a mobile phone screen? And how many people design their digital MOCs on a computer?
    madforLEGOFizyxcatwranglergmonkey76Cyberdragon
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,219
    To be honest the only time I've ever used Bricklink on a mobile device is when I'm in a LEGO store to check if any of the pieces on my wanted lists are on the PAB wall.
    Due to the size of my wanted lists (7 lists, 1600 different part numbers) to do anything else without the accompanying computer based spreadsheet would be a total mare. 
    andheSumoLegoKungFuKennyFizyxgmonkey76Cyberdragon
    The majority of the time that I add parts to my wanted list I do so on my mobile phone in my build room. It's not the easiest thing to do!
    CrockAlleyandhe
    CCC said:And that is the root of the problem. They are going for the mobile device market, forgetting about people that use a computer instead. It is a shame they didn't keep the original catalogue, then have two different interfaces to it - a picture based one for those wanting to buy a couple of parts or a set on a mobile device, and the original style interface for those that want to build larger orders on a computer. 
    Sorry, desktop interface is better, too. Also, it's unreasonable to expect developers to maintain two interfaces. That was never going to happen.

As I see it now, the biggest problem with the new site is the lack of access to stores' inventory. And that's a huge problem. If/when they add that, I don't see how this new site would hinder large orders. 

My issues with the new site are all about features. The design is fantastic and so much easier to navigate.

Whatever you feel, don't forget to give feedback to Bricklink!
    SumoLego
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,279
    @SumoLego those percentages add up to 100%- clearly something's wrong. ;-)
    SumoLegoKungFuKennyFizyxgmonkey76CyberdragonMynatt
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,715
    It's +/- 4% margin of error.  So it's possible nobody wants tacos.
    560HeliportKungFuKennyFizyxdatsunrobbiecaterham7Cyberdragon
    No, it is not possible that no one wants tacos. Even with infinite universes, varying in just one detail, it is not possible that no one wants tacos.
    SumoLegoklintonKungFuKennyBumblepantsFizyxdatsunrobbiegmonkey76CyberdragonMynatt
    edited May 2020
    {meme removed -- remember they are not permitted in this forum! -- Huw}
    KungFuKenny
    Nope.
    SumoLegoKungFuKenny
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,763
    The lack of tacos in Bulgaria is sad. On the other hand, I gained about 15 lbs. in the States for 6 months eating as many tacos as I could so it is probably for the best.
    560HeliportKungFuKennyFizyxSumoLegogmonkey76
    SumoLego said:
    My ego is shattered.
    panchox1starwars4everBumblepants560Heliportandhecatwranglergmonkey76CyberdragonMynatt
    Better than shattered LEGO.

560HeliportSumoLegocatwrangler
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    My ego is shattered.
    Huw is the all-seeing overlord! ;)
    SumoLego
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,889
    And today is Tuesday, and I didn't see the meme. It feels like the removal was done just to spite me, on this blessed day of tacos. :-(
    Only joking - my kids send me more than enough memes to keep me going...

I get the feeling that the retool of BL is to try to get more casual visitors to buy things, anything, rather than making existing power buyers to spend even more. Maybe they are hoping power users won't leave because of history and inertia, but sales will go up for newer users based on how easy it is (it certainly wasn't intuitive to me, and I'm tech savvy-ish and Lego-competent-ish). I don't know and I certainly won't speculate on how successful such a tactic might be - but I'll try the new look when I next buy something on there, and see what it looks like.
    SumoLegocatwranglergmonkey76
    Maybe it's just my nature, but I don't understand why maintaining accuracy of their parts database is not a priority.

This is already true on BaP, so we shouldn't be surprised that theme and set accuracy on Bricklink 95 has been discarded for the infinitely less confusing nomenclature where zombies are listed under 'fantasy' instead of monsters...
    graphiteFizyx
    Well, they have made a massive U-turn. They are now saying XP will not replace classic but run alongside. They are still not clear what they are going to do to the catalogue though.

Why was the catalog structure changed?
    We approached the catalog structure from the perspective of a LEGO fan coming out of their dark ages and trying to find something based on visuals alone. A user in this position may not know the name of every piece or remember the name of a theme. We are re-evaluating the new catalog structure to find ways to make it more acceptable to advanced members as well.

canon03
    edited May 2020
    ^ That's exactly what I was trying to allude to in my post - might not know the theme, might not know the name of a piece, but knows kinda what it looks like. Those people (and I distinctly remember when I was one of them) would find BL daunting, but presumably the new version doesn't fix that and still be useful to advanced users yet.
    Redbullgivesuwindtspike
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 597
    MaffyD said:
    ^ That's exactly what I was trying to allude to in my post - might not know the theme, might not know the name of a piece, but knows kinda what it looks like. Those people (and I distinctly remember when I was one of them) would find BL daunting, but presumably the new version doesn't fix that and still be useful to advanced users yet.
    Well, I often still fit in those that "might not know the theme, might not know the name of a piece, but knows kinda what it looks like", and I always manage to find it using the current system. I don't need a "your dumb" version to help me. I just don't expect that the thing I'm searching for is always the first one on the list!
    But I guess many people nowadays don't realize that doing a search implies... searching. Mind-blowing, I know.
    560Heliportdatsunrobbiegraphiteandhe
    If I'm an AFOL and looking for... say... 'zombies'... all you need to do is make sure every set and figure that is, or involves... zombies comes up in the search.

Now me, being a stickler for the meaning of words:

Perhaps the systematic arrangement of LEGO should be based on the complete list of set numbers, their themes and parts lists, comprehensively cross-referrenced with each individual piece produced by LEGO.

?

560Heliport
  • ToyTownBreakDownToyTownBreakDown Michigan, USAMember Posts: 5
    Has anyone scraped or downloaded the catalog and its info from BrickLink before the idiots erase it entirely? Maybe from archive.org? So it can be re-established elsewhere? 

It was built up by people over decades so any claims that the catalog is copyrighted/protected data should be ignored.

As for their asinine explanation about making the site more usable for people coming out of their dark ages...that was me in 2017. Exactly that situation. BrickLink’s catalog was perfect for me, with its specific info, logical categories and related info, etc etc.

BrickLink’s catalog is the resource Lego itself is too oblivious and lost to ever create.

datsunrobbieMr_Crossdaewoooldtodd33
    That does help a lot, and I think it clears up a lot of things which people were worried about, such as the price guide.
    KungFuKenny
    I see the BL forum structure hasn't changed.  Still the most confusing and unreadable feature.
    KungFuKennypxchrisandhelkliment2malleableshikadi
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    I wonder why they didn't solve the category changes as tags that work as a additional way of sorting stuff. That way would allow both ways of finding stuff.
    andhe
    jnscoelho said:
    Well, I often still fit in those that "might not know the theme, might not know the name of a piece, but knows kinda what it looks like", and I always manage to find it using the current system. I don't need a "your dumb" version to help me. I just don't expect that the thing I'm searching for is always the first one on the list!
    But I guess many people nowadays don't realize that doing a search implies... searching. Mind-blowing, I know.
    Sarcasm aside, you need to think about your definitions of 'dumb', 'people nowadays', 'manage' and 'searching' if you are trying to make something easier to use. And remember that personal experience is anecdotal at best, and not applicable to everyone. Mind-blowing, I know.
    stlux
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,177
    The new FAQ is a step in the right direction. It is however in direct contradiction to the first announcement:

Original Announcement:
    While BrickLink XP is in the beta phase, it will run alongside the current Classic version. The plan is for it to eventually replace BrickLink Classic once the new platform is feature complete. This will all happen over a long period of time to allow our members to adjust to the new platform.
    FAQ:
    BrickLink XP and Classic will co-exist. We do not intend to replace the current version with BrickLink XP. 
    Hopefully the latter proves to be the truth of the matter.

I can definitely understand wanting to make a version of the site that is more accommodating to the casual or new user. But I still feel that overall, the XP site is just a gigantic mess, even from the perspective of Joe-blow-new-guy.

Also, what running two versions of a site means, is that inevitably long term the "classic" site will fall into complete disrepair and be obsoleted just as a matter of course. Hopefully long before that occurs, they've actually made the XP site anything worth using.

SumoLegoOldfanbpk2300tspikesklamb
    Yeah, definitely a major U-turn.

I would hope that when they are running the two side-by-side, they would look at the statistics for numbers of orders being placed on each. I would imagine that most new users would use the XP side, whereas most experienced users would use the classic side. Similarly I expect most larger parts orders to go via classic and not XP. They can then see what they are killing off if they choose to get rid of classic.

Of course, it does require either only one catalogue or them to continually remap any new parts and minifigures from the classic to XP catalogue (or vice versa). I still don't really understand the point of them breaking the connection between minifigures and themes. It is like writing a bird book, then putting all the brown birds in one section, the black and white ones in another, and so on. It might be great for anyone completely unfamiliar with the subject but useless to anyone that is familiar.
    datsunrobbieSumoLegosklamb
    Put all of the Fantasy Birds with the Monster Birds.  But not with Dragons.  
    7BSBumblepantsCyberdragonKungFuKennygmonkey76sklamb