Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Masters TV competition on Fox.

Comments

• bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,114
    It was an enjoyable second episode and it was quite surprising at the variance in the builds (even in the same destruction categories) with some of them being very polished against what seemed like some quite basic brick stacking (no I couldn't do any better but I'm not on the show).

It was a very close call between the bottom two IMO, although I think if the losing build had not broken before the destruction test the result would have been different as there is definitely some teamwork issues that need to be ironed out if Sam & Jessica are going to progress in the competition. 
    I also found Sam to be quite obnoxious and rude during this episode and while it is entirely possible that this is a normal behaviour type for Sam, you do have to remember that 11 hours is edited down to 45 mins, so any tension/drama is going to be put to the forefront of the aired show as everyone getting on and being happy doesn't make a ratings winner for the network.

Saying that, I don't think that Sam is used to playing with others that much due to the "you do your part, I'll do mine" attitude that has been apparent in both episodes so far.
    This is definitely a handicap to the team compared to how well some of the others work together.

Bring on the next one.
    Pyrobugpanchox1
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 537
    I, um.. thought the wrong team went home. Swap Sam and Jessica for Kara and Jessie would've been my pick.

• SteveGSteveG TNMember Posts: 33
    Why was Mayim Bialik even there? She didn't even stay for the whole show. Oh wait, she was there to promote her new TV show. smdh
    Pyrobugtomahawker
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,955
    Unfortunately, they seem to be doing the standard reality show thing of emphasizing the interpersonal drama and selecting competitors based on their ability to give different viewer demos someone to identify with and cheer on vs those other “jerks”. So far I don’t think it has overshadowed the builds and abilities too much, but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. And as usual with these things, you have to wonder how much drama is scripted.
    tomahawkerTkatt
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,666
    Watching people have disagreements and argue makes good TV, watching them stack LEGO bricks doesn't...
    bandit778klintonSumoLego
  • izxizx USAMember Posts: 36
    edited February 15
    Huw said:
    Watching people have disagreements and argue makes good TV, watching them stack LEGO bricks doesn't...
    Take my opinion with a big grain of salt because I'm the odd fish for whom episode 1 of the US show was my first ever full episode of reality TV (except a few viral Big Brother, etc. Youtube clips over the years).

After reading up a bit on Lego Masters, I got a hold of the Australian version and watched the first episode. That's reality TV too, but I liked it much more. Somewhat mellower and I think Hamish the radio/stand-up comedian host does much better than actor-comedian Will Arnett who seems stuck in Lego Batman mode. Interpersonal relationships are showcased with much less drama. Yes, the Australian episodes are longer which gives them more freedom...I appreciated the snippets of works-in-progress sprinkled throughout the episode. It looks like each team gets a decent amount of screen time compared to the US show where that can wildly vary. Also enjoyed the kids in the first episode about megacities ignoring the LCP judge's "you need height" suggestion at first! (You wouldn't dream of that with Jamie and Amy).

From what I've read, it looks like Fox has tried its best to Foxify the Australian version to fit their "standard" US reality TV template. Things seem to be getting better though, apart from the Sam & Jessica fracas this week. Liked the playful banter between Aaron/Christian and one of the black guys. And Jamie's disclaimer that destroying Lego should very much be the exception rather than the norm! Now that Kara & Jessie are gone--I felt too much was made of their ducks/redesign in the first episode as their exit interview suggests--I can't wait for Sam and Jessica to leave after which things should be calmer.
    PyrobugIan_SMCNwakeboardJern92
    But then they’ll need to find more disagreements to highlight like Huw said. I guess I’m just not as entertained by that as others. Probably why I typically ignore reality tv.
    izx560Heliport
  • LegoDad42LegoDad42 Member Posts: 63
    Mayim was a complete waste of time being in episode 2.

Tyler and wifey's build was awesome. He's got a miniversion of it on his flickr that's cool too.

They gave the Hair/grandma sister's the shaft. They shoulda' been given one more week at least.
    The other 2 (guy in dress and girl) were terrible again. So twice in back to back weeks they're in the bottom 2 and survived? Booo! The dress guy wasn't bad with his part of the build but the chick's build was super amateur hour. How'd they pick her for this show?
    Pyrobug
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,634
    I've just watched the first episode. Having seen both series of the UK version, I have to say that this is so completely different in almost every way.

It feels bigger, better, bolder, with more personality, far better production values, a vastly better set, an actual proper prize, and more interesting teams. It makes the UK version feel rather amateur.
    KungFuKenny7BS
    I've just watched the second episode now. For me it was quite easy to predict who would come top and who would leave. Tyler and Amy's build was absolutely outstanding, so that was the frontrunner from the start. As for the weakest, yes Sam and Jessica's effort was pretty basic and didn't really work well, but Kara and Jessie's didn't just fall apart before it even got on the table, it also wasn't that clear what on earth it was supposed to be in the first place. As a spaceship it looked awful, and it just didn't work.

To me, the strongest three teams so far are Tyler and Amy, Boone and Mark, and Christian and Aaron.
    AstrobricksPyrobugBumblepantsLyichirtomahawkerReesesPiecespxchris
    This quote from Will after a commercial break in the first episode cracked me up, although I think it might have been a bit too subtle for some people watching:

"We're back! No more commercials, no more companies trying to present their products in a fun and imaginative way... Welcome back to LEGO Masters!"
    PyrobugAanchirAstrobricksdatsunrobbiedvw2bmwlego
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 379
    My wife and I watched Ep. 2 last night.  I knew who got eliminated but couldn't recall who won. I was really disappointed by Episode 1 but there's no way I'm not going to continue watching, and it was my wife who asked if we wanted to watch Ep 2 since we missed it on Wednesday. I'm pegging Tyler and Amy to win the whole thing. The Sam & Jessica maelstrom makes for good TV, I suppose, but Jessica's build was milquetoast and for all the howling that Sam was doing at her, he didn't exactly have a show-stopper either during the fracas.  I fear that those two will artificially stay on longer than they should just to keep the "drama", forced as it is. I will admit, I'm really looking forward to the "build the other half of the object" theme this week. 
    Astrobricks
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 66
    It worries me early on that there seems to be too much "casting" embedded in the format, from which the producers intend to produce "drama".  I'm going to make a prediction: the newlywed team will get criticised for making their model about their relationship.  I noticed that criticism occured on both the UK and the Aus. shows and seemed to me that the producers may have (off-screen) nudged them towards that model choice so the judges could later comment on it.

If you do have the chance to see the Australian show, it'd be very interesting to know how fellow AFOL's think they compare.  So far I agree with @izx that it felt "mellower" and I preferred that.

Sadly it's become another show that I won't watch live, but rather would record and watch the 10 minutes of interesting content then skip past all the contrived "format" elements of the show.

I should say though that Brickmasters Amy & Jamie are great, I'd like to hear more from them.

@Ian_S
    The problem is, their technical critique is likely to be lost on the "average", non-AFOL viewer.  Unfortunately, it's very much just another reality TV show, just with LEGO as the medium in lieu of _______. At one point, during Aaron and Christian's build (the railroad tracks, which could have won simply on NPU) Jamie mentions that the team has reinforced it with Technic, which is their (Lego's) strongest building elements - but he didn't explain why they are. Anyone who's built any Technic sets can tell you about how redundantly they in reinforced, making dissembling them a nightmare, but the casual viewer might have no idea what the difference is. I'm honestly surprised they gave Will Arnett a minute to explain SNOT building to the average viewer. 

I would love to know what Jamie, whose portfolio includes modulars, the roller coaster, and almost every other Creator Expert set besides the vehicles range, privately thinks about the whole thing. 
    PyrobugIan_SSumoLego
    I'm just glad that they're not calling them 'Legos', and that Will actually made a point of correcting that in the first few moments of the first episode.
    Pyrobug
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    I think we all need to remember that 99.98% of the Fox audience are civilians that know nothing about the AFOL/MOC community.  

When I watch 'Nailed It' or any of the umpteenth similar reality TV shows, I'm the civilian that knows nothing about baking a cake, remodeling houses, singing voices, etc...

Overall, it's a formula show with a tongue-in-cheek host and a unique subject matter.  I doubt we'll get more than two seasons of the show on a major network, and it'll probably move to a streaming service at some point.  (It's likely cheap to produce and has a sufficient built-in audience.)

Although, Hell's Kitchen has been on for a decade, and it's literally the same show every year.
    ReesesPiecesJern92Aanchir
    ^ But literally everyone eats :)
    SumoLegogmonkey76Jern92
    ... and most people wouldn't know the difference between a $25.00 steak and a $95.00 steak.
    gmonkey76Jern92Aanchir
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,610
    And many wouldn't care. And I'd rather have a cheeseburger than a steak.
    PyrobugSumoLegodatsunrobbieJern92dvw2
    And many wouldn't care. And I'd rather have a cheeseburger than a steak.
    Correct - precisely why this show isn't geared toward the beef (LEGO) connoisseurs out there that wonder why we don't get to see all 11 hours of the planning, building and payoff.  We get five minutes of Will Arnett winking and hamming it up, for every five minutes of building.  And 10 minutes of people freaking out and being dramatic for every 5 minutes of building.

And ten minutes of random Mayim Bialik for no comprehensible reason.
    Pyrobugbenbacardigmonkey76LegoDad42
    MrJackson said:
    I'm honestly surprised they gave Will Arnett a minute to explain SNOT building to the average viewer. 
    SNOT is a funny acronym.  If it were called 'SOS' (stud on side) or 'SOB' (stud on bottom) or some other naughty, silly or body-function acronym, they'd be using it for comedic effect.

If there were such thing as 'Brick Ostensibly Over Grip Except Reverse', they'd plaster a BOOGER explaination clip all over this show.

I haven't seen any Duplo bricks in the builds, yet.  Where's the love for Duplo!?!?!?
    jnscoelhodatsunrobbieizxModeltrainmanKungFuKenny
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 496
    Nobody talks about classic "bricks on other bricks" techniques... It was widely used on Ep. 2.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 839
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've over-all just found the whole show to be simply very entertaining. I don't feel the need to dig so much beyond the surface and just enjoy it for the sake of enjoyment.
    panchox1mustang69ReesesPiecesMeganLSumoLegoKungFuKennyAanchirdvw2eggshen
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,366
    I am really looking forward to the next challenge. Having to complete the other half of a real-life object should really separate the top talent from the weaker contestants.
    PyrobugAstrobricksSumoLegobandit778ReesesPieces
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 537
    I hope they don't blow any more stuff up. I've had enough issues with broken parts.

I am really looking forward to the next challenge. Having to complete the other half of a real-life object should really separate the top talent from the weaker contestants.
    There are three teams that are a step behind the 'serious' builders.  And two more that haven't had substantial screen time in order to make an assessment.

It'll come down to the 'Formal Dressed' pair, the 'Bearded Dudes', 'Cosplay Girls' and the 'Pricky Guys that Won the Golden Brick'.
    Bumblepants
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 92
    SumoLego said:

I haven't seen any Duplo bricks in the builds, yet.  Where's the love for Duplo!?!?!?
    We asked about that during the set visit.  Duplo elements were not included in the 3+ million bricks on the show - no reason was given.
    SumoLegostluxKungFuKennyomnium
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,366
    SumoLego said:
    There are three teams that are a step behind the 'serious' builders.  And two more that haven't had substantial screen time in order to make an assessment.

It'll come down to the 'Formal Dressed' pair, the 'Bearded Dudes', 'Cosplay Girls' and the 'Pricky Guys that Won the Golden Brick'.
    Agreed. I expect either the dysfunctional couple to get booted next or more likely the Puerto Rico duo since they have already done their bio and given them a lot of screen time in the first episode.
    SumoLego
    ^ Agreed - the son doesn't like to follow the recommendations, theme suggestions or the advice of the judges.  (Half a rollercoaster is not a rollercoaster.)
    Astrobricks
    As a (deliberate) reality-TV neophyte till the US series, it's fascinating learning about basic reality-show mechanics!
    SumoLego
    Sam and Jessica really pulled it together for ep 3. Tyler and Amy were amazing again even though they weren’t in the top two teams. I knew that car/piñata thing was a loser when I saw they didn’t even make wheels for it.
    SumoLegopxchris
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 424
    Agreed.  The piñata car was horrendous!  Definitely the worst build.  I'm glad the gals got more air time finally, even though that was because they ended up in the bottom two.
    izx
    Sam and Jessica really hit it out the park this episode. That mermaid was amazing, and they've really shown what they can do. Tyler and Amy were superb again - they keep building consistently amazing builds. Christian and Aaron were again good, and if they listen to the advice that they were given this episode, they could get back to the top again.

I think the final two will come down to those two teams, although if Sam and Jessica keep building like they did this episode, then it could be any of those three.
    stluxbandit778
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 109
    The pinata had so much potential! I would have tried to build the other half as it is being smashed open, with a hollow center with lots of candies attached with trans clear bars. Maybe even build a bat on to it too if there's time.
    KungFuKenny
    The Pinatamobile was a bad concept and bad, bad execution.  Especially given the other concepts that were being constructed.  I also thought that Monkey-bicycle was terrible, but they managed to mask their lack of cohesion between the bike and Monkey.
    MCNwakeboardizxBumblepantsshikadiPyrobugM_BossJern92
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,562
    When Jamie and Amy come over and tell you that you are doomed half way into the show, and you keep going in the same direction, you're doomed.
    pxchrisSumoLegoPyrobug
    And I think the fact that they doubled down on the Pinatamobile is even more bewildering than the execution, especially given the midway talk. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and start over. 
    ModeltrainmanshikadiSumoLegodatsunrobbie
    If you look around the room and everything else is better built and/or more creative - then it's time to change.

They weren't much ahead of that globe/dragon thing - which made no conceptual sense, and didn't have particularly good execution, either.

Colorful, large candy exploding out of the pinata half would have been the obvious choice, and probably a simple build.  (Like the large-scale Octopus Band.)

I have to say I am a bit worried about the Golden Brick Bros. doing builds entirely too similar - despite being very proficient and well-done - and being underwhelming closer to the finale.

The Mermaid/Fire Hydrant was probably the most artistic piece thusfar.
    pxchrisPyrobugM_BossLegoDad42
    I do feel that Flynn and Richard's clock man build was particularly well executed as well and they deserved the top honors. I only wish that my guys Boone and Mark had gotten to it first - ha!
    SumoLegoPyrobugJern92
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,114
    Sam and Jessica really hit it out the park this episode. That mermaid was amazing, and they've really shown what they can do. Tyler and Amy were superb again - they keep building consistently amazing builds. Christian and Aaron were again good, and if they listen to the advice that they were given this episode, they could get back to the top again.

I think the final two will come down to those two teams, although if Sam and Jessica keep building like they did this episode, then it could be any of those three.
    Agree with all the above.

Tyler and Amy seem to work really well together and for me may be the surprise dark horses so far in this competition as their builds not only look good but are very polished as well. 

Really liked Sam and Jessica's Hydrant/Mermaid build this week and it goes to prove that the last episodes melt down was mostly an over edited ratings grabber (although still wasn't that impressed with the build that week).

Also thought that Flynn and Richards build was excellent in the confines of the brief but I do worry that they will struggle in future episodes when put out of their comfort zone.

The pinata/car didn't work out well at all and was definitely the worst build of the week although I wasn't overly keen on the monkey/bike either as although ambitious it didn't gel at all with the original item.

Christian and Aaron are exceptional builders when it comes to finesse and detail but I think they need to loose the golden brick so they push themselves with scale and really take the advice of Jamie and Amy to get out of what they know they're good at.

All in all another good episode though.

SumoLegostluxizx
    Does anyone know what drawer system they're using on LEGO Masters?
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 152
    I finally figured out what is annoying me so much about the show ... it is all about ideas, nothing hardly about building techniques. I mean how do those people accomplish some of that stuff?
    panchox1KungFuKenny560Heliportmustang69Pyrobug
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 407
    Agree. so much focus on the "story" over the build. I would love to see more about the designing and assembly than what they show which is next to nothing. I still am enjoying it though.
    560Heliportmustang69Pyrobug
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 152
    Some things would be pretty simple ... Arnett explained SNOTs but showed nothing on HOW to use them and when he talked about Cheese Wedges last night they didn't even show a closeup as to how the girl had used them.
    ModeltrainmanLegoDad42panchox1
    It’s like Manny and Nestor had never seen a fantasy movie. Lord of the Rings? Dark Crystal? Princess Bride? 
    KungFuKennyPyrobug
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    It’s like Manny and Nestor had never seen a fantasy movie. Lord of the Rings? Dark Crystal? Princess Bride? 
    They seem to interpret fantasy as sci-fi for some reason.
    Should have gone "space western" instead of shoehorning space into a period western...
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 925
    Jern92 said:

They seem to interpret fantasy as sci-fi for some reason.
    In their defense, I have heard the term space fantasy being used, even with star wars.  Of course, I'm not sure what the difference between sci-fi and space fantasy is though...
    So far I've spotted at least 10 of the LEGO Masters contestants here at Bricks Cascade! 
    shikadiSwitchfoot55Astrobrickspanchox1KungFuKennystluxMCNwakeboardJern92