Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• panchox1panchox1 ColoradoMember Posts: 263
    I plan to start selling off stuff from other past hobbies to make room for my newest addiction. After the first of the year, I'll start unloading the Star Wars Black series figures and go from there.
    Snizzlebutts
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 599
    @Th1nDiesel Sorry for the belated reply. Thanks for the Ikea table recommendation. Now that I have my empty room available I can start planning that trip to my local Ikea!
  • flightriskflightrisk USAMember Posts: 60
    mh3490 said:
    Finally moved into the new house and started to setup my new lego room the best is I get a room and the basement for storage of boxed sets 
    Nice size room. Dino makes a good guard dog too.  

SumoLegoKungFuKennygmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,566
    mh3490 said:
    Finally moved into the new house and started to setup my new lego room the best is I get a room and the basement for storage of boxed sets 
    That's a nice display set up!  Still mulling over options for placement of the Corner Garage?

(Looks like someone is in the market for a UCS-scale R2-D2, and the newest Batmobile.)

Where's Tinkerbell?!?!
    lessjunkfoodKungFuKenny
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 171
    TLDR: Would most of you prefer display shelves with a fixed shelf height of 13" but usable depth of 14", or ones with adjustable heights but usable depth of 12"? (glass door on both, so hanging past the shelf is not an option.)

Longer:
    I need to get another bookcase for my home office. It will hold almost exclusively Lego. The basic requirements are glass doors, outside dimensions of ~36" wide (to fit between two windows), and ~14-16" deep and 70-75" tall. I think I've gotten it down to 2 (or 3) choices that will fit with other furniture in the room (which is at the front of our house and not a dedicated Lego room, so it does matter, for better or worse).

My collection is nearly all SW (mix of UCS and other), Modulars, Architecture skylines, and Ideas sets.

The inside width is within 1" or so for each, around 32-33".

Choice 1: A stack of barrister bookcases. Pros: I can add another shelf or two to the top of the stack later, inside depth is 14" so it can display some wider/deeper sets. Cons: No way to adjust the height of the individual shelves. 13" is the max height of anything in the case. Any sort of lighting will have to be battery-powered, I think.

Choice 2: A traditional bookcase with swinging glass doors. Pros: I can adjust the height of each shelf to accommodate taller sets. I should be able to run thin wires for lighting. Con: The shelves are 11.75" deep, which is enough for a 32x32 so it can fit modulars, but not as many SW ships.

Choice 3 (probably out): Ikea Hemnes Glass-Door Cabinet. I have a Hemnes sliding glass door cabinet in the room already, and I really like it, but the taller case's reviews are pretty poor compared to the reviews of the one I have. It's much cheaper than the other two, but I worry A LOT about the reviews that say a shelf just fell. Falling shelves and lego are a bad combination!

I don't think the other usual Ikea options will work with the rest of the room.

I do have other shelves in the room that can display items up to ~14" tall and so far am putting my really tall stuff on top of the cabinets I have.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,529
    If you already know what is going in them, I'd measure the biggest ones to make sure they will fit before buying. No fun finding out stuff won't fit (been there, done that).
    SumoLegoautolycusgmonkey76BuriedinBricks
    If you already know what is going in them, I'd measure the biggest ones to make sure they will fit before buying. No fun finding out stuff won't fit (been there, done that).
    It's more about preserving flexibility for the unknown future sets I'm worried about! :)
    Snizzlebutts
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 531
    mh3490 said:
    If you have more space than just a display room try to make a CITY with those Modular and your collection.
    Snizzlebutts
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 27
    I had considered painting it yellow and adding the LEGO logo on the side so it would look like #6692-1 or the other newer LEGO truck (can't think of the set number right now).  I could just start with painting the wheel rims red.  :)

I had also thought about a more subtle approach and might just put a LEGO logo square in the bracket near the front where the dangerous goods placard would go.
    SumoLegoLittleLoriCymbelinegmonkey76FizyxKungFuKennyBludchylde1CCCLordmoral
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 500
    Haha it looks like your house has been invaded!

I wouldn't want to dust that many exposed minifigures, though…
    FizyxLordmoral
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,759
    One word - dust.

Two more words - spider webs.
    SumoLegoJackad7
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 447
    All of those doors reminds me of those Scooby Doo episodes where the gang and the bad guy are chasing each other in and out of each one.
    SumoLegodatsunrobbieKungFuKennyAstrobricksmak0137LittleLoriGothamConstructionCocanon03Lordmoral
    edited November 2019
    Geez, those would all be on the floor in under 10 seconds at my house.  

And yes, dust!  And a battery-powered leaf blower would not work on those figs...
    One word - dust.
    Three words - skunk butt rug.
    mustang69BumblepantsKungFuKennyMr_CrossGothamConstructionCoJackad7
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,385
    it's kind of hard to admire them, unless you are 2m tall
    Shaq approves.

KungFuKennyBaby_Yoda
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 849
    SumoLego said:
    One word - dust.
    Three words - skunk butt rug.
    ah, Zootopia— I would love a set or two from that movie... the DMV with Flash the sloth, Elephant ice cream parlor with “baby” Finnick...if they released the Zootopia Police Department it would be the first  Police set I have bought since the early 2000s... maybe Mr. Big’s study... “you come here unannounced on the day my daughter is to be married...”
    SumoLegomak0137Djblythe05Mr_CrossLittleLoriSwitchfoot55Baby_Yoda
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,750
    I can say that, as someone who is a little over 2m tall, I do appreciate this display. 
    KungFuKennySumoLegoBumblepantspxchris
    Hmmm... do you live with the Hendersons?
    klintonKungFuKennySwitchfoot55gmonkey76catwrangler
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,750
    They're my neighbors. 

Plus, I'm not that 'hairy.' 
    SumoLegoLittleLorigmonkey76pxchrisFarmer_Johncatwrangler
    I can say that, as someone who is a little over 2m tall, I do appreciate this display. 
    I can't see s4!t!
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 315
    My wife was if favour of my buying the trailer for my hobby/obsession.  She is happy to have more room in the house and to have the guest bedroom back.  
    I like your solution lots and have been thinking about another storage container for mine. I am just worried someone will link it up and take the lot!

Does your household insurance cover it outside?
    Lordmoral
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 242
    @Snizzlebutts
    ”They’re great because I can put my daughters sets down at ground level and she can access them easily and I can display my collection of smaller display only sets at the top, where the shelves are thinner,”

That’s SMART thinking, like that!
    Snizzlebutts
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 501
    @Snizzlebutts That looks great, but I'd be terrified of it being used as a ladder!
    Snizzlebutts
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 38
    I was relegated to the basement of our 2 bed home... then we got a storage unit so most legos are there. :/

Looking forward to a different house. 
    SumoLego560HeliportSnizzlebutts
    My wife surprised me big time! She won the Amazon lightning sale lottery on the UCS Falcon and it was my big Christmas present! So... now I’m looking through all the display options for it. I think I’ve gotten approval for a coffee table display in the man cave!

Anybody have recent finds for a good option?

I may ask a friend to make me up something simple, but if there’s something already available and a decent price, that’s much easier!

Some of the options mentioned in earlier threads aren’t available, unfortunately!

or even if someone has plans I could have my friend follow? My biggest concern with my asking my friend is going to be sourcing glass and/or plexi for the top and sides and making sure all the dimensions work right.
    MynattKungFuKennyAddicted2OxygenSnizzlebuttsbrickventurescatwrangler
    @autolycus
    A recent solution has been to buy 2 of these and put them together...
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/sammanhang-coffee-table-gray-glass-20412444/
    $160 plus tax is a bit high but I haven’t seen any custom options cheaper.  

Wicked Brick has a great looking stand for around $70 plus shipping but doesn’t solve the dust issue...
    https://www.wickedbrick.com/products/display-stand-for-ucs-millennium-falcon-75192?_pos=1&_sid=cf0d6163a&_ss=r

There is also the Efferman stand (same dust issue)

Your friend may be the best option after all!
    Addicted2Oxygenautolycus
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 679
    tspike said:
    > What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

I may or may not have bought a cabin on 20 acres that has a lot of extra storage in the loft...
    Now that's some smart accommodations!
    SumoLegoKungFuKennybrickventures
    @KungFuKenny yeah, the Efferman stand or one of the acrylic stands from Wicked Bricks or iDisplayIt are my most likely short-term options. I’m pretty sure I can fit one of those on an existing cabinet, once some other sets are taken apart.

real shame the Sammanhang isn’t a foot longer! That would be excellent at $80! I’ll see what 2x of that looks like. Might be awfully big for a coffee table.

Some of the custom options run >$1k, which is both reasonable and crazy at the same time!
    tspikeKungFuKenny
    FYI for anyone who finds this thread in the future: the Sammanhang coffee table is being discontinued and is not available online anymore. It’s also sold out of most stores, including ATL.
    AstrobricksSnizzlebutts
    ^ That's a funny looking UCS MF.
    tspikeKungFuKennyTkattSwitchfoot55davetheoxygenmanGothamConstructionCoomniummsanders
  • tspiketspike Hood River, ORMember Posts: 22
    Minimum dimensions for a circular train track are about the same as UCS MF :)
    KungFuKennyMaffyD
    tspike said:
    I used some leftover hardwood flooring and a 12” high five sided acrylic case from ShopPOPDisplays to make a coffee table. Was still expensive ($550 shipped for the acrylic) but better than other options I saw and really happy with the results.
    This would have been a great excuse to use four of the wooden minifigs as table legs :)
    KungFuKennyAddicted2OxygenLordmoral
  • tom1994tom1994 UKMember Posts: 2
    I’ve just started renting a 15 sq ft storage unit to keep all my sets and boxes until I have a bigger house! No one warns you about how much space this hobby needs :O 
    KungFuKennyAddicted2OxygenCymbelinemsanders
    15 square feet wouldn’t hold much of my collection!
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenman
    tspike said:
    Minimum dimensions for a circular train track are about the same as UCS MF :)
    Am I right that 30” x 40” would accommodate either the Falcon or an oval track with 2 straights in each side? 

I’m now liking the possibility of using the same table for the the train sets I have, like you’ve done with the Winter Village. Unfortunately, I think the Disney station is too tall for any normal height coffee table that’s not just a big block sitting on the floor, but maybe that one I could just do on top as a short term display.
    SumoLego
    The room is 256 feet high.  I hope you practiced some Jenga...
    KungFuKennyAstrobricks
    autolycus said:
    ...I think the Disney station is too tall...
    Cinderella Castle is pretty tall as well.  But you could probably do some custom cupholders.
    KungFuKenny
    SumoLego said:
    The room is 256 feet high.  I hope you practiced some Jenga...
    Yes, the room is 15 feet long, 1 foot wide, and 256 feet tall... good luck!
    SumoLego said:
    autolycus said:
    ...I think the Disney station is too tall...
    Cinderella Castle is pretty tall as well.  But you could probably do some custom cupholders.
    Oh... good thought! Hogwarts Castle might work as a good chips and dip bowl too!
    wardm