Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO acquires BrickLink

Comments

• AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 877
    CCC said:

Plus there is the issue of them being CE certified.
    In fact, all EU sellers that deal in parts are breaking the law regards CE. By repackaging the original product without Lego's explicit authority, EU law considers that the seller takes over responsibility for certification, in essence they become the manufacturer. Unless each seller certifies that what they're selling is compliant, they are technically breaking the law when supplying parts to consumers. It's not compliant to just lump a CE sticker on, or claim that Lego have already certified them so you don't need to.
    Lordmoral
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,280
    I still find it odd that LEGO's own inventory lists frequently are missing (sometimes) random pieces.  It appears that when a piece is retired (or replaced with another similar piece) the old number disappears from the inventory.

One would think it simple to take the parts list from the instruction manual, and that becomes the static parts list.  No need to modify or adjust if parts come and go, but then add new 'replacement' parts when parts retire.
    mustang69LordmoralBumblepantsMr_CrossmafonmadforLEGO
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 492
    @SumoLego I was thinking the exact same thing regarding the parts list at the back of the manuals. I dont see why they cant just take a copy of the list they used to generate that page and us it as the master list for the set online.
    Lordmoral
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,492
    mustang69 said:
    @SumoLego I was thinking the exact same thing regarding the parts list at the back of the manuals. I dont see why they cant just take a copy of the list they used to generate that page and us it as the master list for the set online.
    The people in charge of the web site are probably also responsible for this. :-/
    Lordmoralmustang69SumoLegogmonkey76sklambOldfanM1J0E
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,584
    SumoLego said:
    I still find it odd that LEGO's own inventory lists frequently are missing (sometimes) random pieces.  It appears that when a piece is retired (or replaced with another similar piece) the old number disappears from the inventory.

One would think it simple to take the parts list from the instruction manual, and that becomes the static parts list.  No need to modify or adjust if parts come and go, but then add new 'replacement' parts when parts retire.
    This is a common flaw in poorly written inventory management systems. Items that are no longer produced/stocked get dropped from the catalog entirely, causing exactly this sort of problem. A better approach is to have a flag in the item master file indicating that the item is active or inactive, so the item can be excluded from being sold while still being available for historical purposes.
    LordmoralsklambLittleLoriM1J0EKingAlanIRogerKirk
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 497
    Glad to finally have an explanation for the odd gaps in Lego inventories! Poorly written programs seem to be all too common on TLG's computer system, sadly.
    SumoLegoBumblepantsLordmoral
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,280
    ^ Oh, that can't be true.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76sklambLordmoral
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,144
    stlux said:
    Fair point @drdavewatford, and Rebrickable also seems to rely on volunteers. They seem to be more motivated than the BL ones though. #30624 Obi-Wan Kenobi is still missing an inventory on BL - looking at Rebrickable they seems to have had one since August (with several updates made, from what I can gather from the audit log).

It's rather typical of BL, where even after being part of a large company they couldn't be bothered to spend money on having an inventory available for all sets within a reasonable timeframe.

I think this is partly because of the way BL works. Someone takes the inventory role for a particular set/figure and nobody else can do it. They then have to get the parts submitted and approved, then the inventory approved. The minifigure is currently in the same state.

Although I doubt it has had much impact on sales. The minifigure and the set was added 6 Dec, so about at release date. Remember that BL do not allow items to be listed before their official release, to stop the trade in stolen items or other leaked parts.
    stluxdrdavewatfordLordmoral
    Seems the takeover is complete. 
    Yeah, invoice payments are now going to a LEGO paypal account.
    Lordmoral7BS
  • bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 707
    both bricklink and brickowl are now in maintenance mode. coincidence?
    Lordmoral
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 607
    Suddenly my 1st gen iPad (which I've ALWAYS used for Bricklink, Brickset, & peeron.com) freezes when I try to access Bricklink...🤔🤔🤔
    LordmoralraygunnKungFuKenny
    Everything has been slow on bricklink.com for the past day or so, a clear sign that LEGO have taken over!
    Mr_CrossbricknationLordmoralPyrobugBumblepantsDoktorLBaby_Yodasid3windroldtodd33
    Gets stuck here & cannot proceed 
    Lordmoral
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 714
    gelkster said:
    Gets stuck here & cannot proceed 
    This isn't a BrickLink problem forum but we are here to bring you help among fans if needed. Both LEGO and BL need to invest in proper site mantainence.
  • DadsAFOL2DadsAFOL2 CA, USAMember Posts: 14
    The sale has in fact been completed this week per a post from LEGO in the ambassador forum.   
    Lordmoral
    It is strange that they still have not announced it to BL users. The current announcement still refers to the "will join" message. Yet payments for fees have already been taken by a different Paypal account.
    Lordmoral
    The disclaimer has also changed on the page footer.
    Lordmoral
    Lordmoral said:
    This isn't a BrickLink problem forum but we are here to bring you help among fans if needed. Both LEGO and BL need to invest in proper site mantainence.
    Understood- just reporting/found it interesting that this happened after the takeover. Had no trouble accessing BL prior to this.
    Lordmoral
    gelkster said:
    Lordmoral said:
    Understood- just reporting/found it interesting that this happened after the takeover. Had no trouble accessing BL prior to this.
    Lego really needs to stop being so cheap with their support for electronic platforms.
    davetheoxygenman
    gelkster said:
    Lordmoral said:
    I don't believe that there has been any change in personnel or location, so this is probably down to BL rather than LEGO. BL has been very flaky for the past few months. There are times it works, and times it doesn't. The types of errors have changed recently too.
    stluxLordmoral
    CCC said:
    And Brickset still hasn't made an article pending this post.
    CCC said:
    Brickset have reported on the sale of BL to LEGO. I'm not sure what else you expect them to report on.

Updated ToS perhaps.
    Lordmoral said:
    CCC said:
    Brickset have reported on the sale of BL to LEGO. I'm not sure what else you expect them to report on.

Updated ToS perhaps.
    Why does it need an article on it though? Any active bricklink users will have already found out they need to decide to accept new terms or stop using it.
    stluxLittleLorimadforLEGOgmonkey76drdavewatford
    CCC said:
    Lordmoral said:
    CCC said:

Updated ToS perhaps.
    Why does it need an article on it though? Any active bricklink users will have already found out they need to decide to accept new terms or stop using it.
    Because LEGO said there wouldn't be immediate changes? Because more Lego fans might need clarity? Because as a Lego news site that is a big deal (they cover magazines related to our hobby and not the main second hand site)? 
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 623
    You clearly have a bee in your bonnet about this for some reason! You even posted a comment on today's City advent calendar post about the new ToS, for some reason—not sure what the link is there. 

As @CCC said above—Brickset have posted about the takeover already, updated TOS are relatively minor in comparison to the original news. Brickset doesn't generally post tabloid-style news articles, which is effectively what "Lego changed the T&Cs when they said they wouldn't" is. 
    stluxLordmoralBumblepantsKungFuKennyLittleLorigmonkey76drdavewatford
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,872
    SumoLego said:

Yes, this has been an issue with LEGO inventories on BnP (at least) since Market Street inventory had its train windows replaced with the new standard window frame once the train windows sold out.
    I really hope LEGO does not try to mess with the inventory lists in BL. I think a LEGO set inventory list should be an accurate count of part and part type that came with the set. With 'alternates' listed if a part is no longer produced. If BL stays that way Ill be content.
    gmonkey76DeMontesSumoLegodatsunrobbiesklambOldfan
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 281
    Seems like the site no longer works. Cannot login, reset the password and still cant login.. Good job Lego
    Lordmoral
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,872
    edited December 2019
    I can get to the site and logon, check your browser, though I would not be surprised if the site is going up and down periodically for updates
    LordmoralKungFuKenny
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,072
    mustang69 said:
    vizzitor said:
    So I wonder if they'll remove the minifig parts, printed pieces and stickers that include IP they no longer have the license for.
    I would think it would only stop them from making new versions and selling those. A third party selling used ones shouldn't be a problem.
    sounds like the first sale doctrine, that copyright or trademark law limits the initial sale of an item but not resale of a legitimate copy

Lordmoralmustang69
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,072
    I haven't had any technical difficulties with the BL site lately.
    Orders are down but that might be on me for not adding much new inventory or not updating prices on some old inventory, as well as or instead of people afraid of change.

This is a common flaw in poorly written inventory management systems. Items that are no longer produced/stocked get dropped from the catalog entirely, causing exactly this sort of problem. A better approach is to have a flag in the item master file indicating that the item is active or inactive, so the item can be excluded from being sold while still being available for historical purposes.
    I've heard of similar for employee records. someone no longer working there needs to have their access turned off but needs to remain in the system for, say, records of interaction with customers.

Bobflip said:

The main change I want (aside from the ability to bulk order a batch of rare pieces to be remade) is for them to get rid of the daily maintenance downtime. So many times I've been working through inventories or researching things, only to have to stop part for 10 minutes while they do whatever they do.
    Never understood why the site has to totally shut down for 10 minutes every day (replaced with an hour one day a month). wouldn't they have multiple servers, being able to fix one and run off of the others?

Lordmoral
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 631
    SumoLego said:

cascade delete much?? :/
    Lordmoral
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,584
    Just got the email to accept the new policy. Looks like I won;t be buying nearly as much from Bricklink, since they now prohibit sales of modified parts, particularly chromed parts. The seller I was buying from has opened up a new website at https://www.custombricks.nl/ . I bought a bunch of chromed parts to finish up a couple of Naboo fighters, very pleased with the quality of the parts.

I hope that other sellers who have been chased out of Bricklink by the new policies will post their new sites in this thread so we can get the parts Lego group won;t let us buy through Bricklink.
    Lordmoral560Heliportgelksterbandit778
    I got the same email today too.
    Lordmoral
    Well correct me if I am wrong but Storm Troopers aren't listed in the catalogue anymore:
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=1&q=Topper&catLike=W&catString=65.258&sortBy=N&sortAsc=A&itemBrand=1000&catType=M&v=1
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,162
    edited January 29
    @Lordmoral
    Plenty when I looked....
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=Stormtrooper

@datsunrobbie, I wish you hadn't posted that link, that chrome Fat Boy looks sooooooooo good.
    AstrobricksKungFuKenny
    Lordmoral said:
    Well correct me if I am wrong but Storm Troopers aren't listed in the catalogue anymore:
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=1&q=Topper&catLike=W&catString=65.258&sortBy=N&sortAsc=A&itemBrand=1000&catType=M&v=1
    Why did you search for “topper”?
    I swear I searched for Trooper and that is what I linked.bandit778 said:
    @Lordmoral
    Plenty when I looked....
    https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=Stormtrooper

@datsunrobbie, I wish you hadn't posted that link, that chrome Fat Boy looks sooooooooo good.
    Yeah found them now with the exception of the 501st Stormtrooper.
    (*pssst*) "stormtrooper" is one word.
    Lordmoralgmonkey76panchox1
    gelkster said:
    (*pssst*) "stormtrooper" is one word.
    So that is why.
    I suspect this is one of the results of LEGO buying BrickLink, they saw that this light kits are popular with fans and hence they are now entering into the market:
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,541
    Lordmoral said:
    I suspect this is one of the results of LEGO buying BrickLink, they saw that this light kits are popular with fans and hence they are now entering into the market:
    LEGO have only owned Bricklink for a few months so there isn't time for them to have completed a market analysis and then researched and mocked up some real lighting products in that short time.
    stluxLordmoralklintonmadforLEGOgmonkey76pvp3020
    Lordmoral said:
    LEGO have only owned Bricklink for a few months so there isn't time for them to have completed a market analysis and then researched and mocked up some real lighting products in that short time.
    But it really looks interesting how they removed third party light sets from the site only to now introduce these potential sets themselves and I suspect they have been running tests before buying the site after looking how popular those were.
    They've removed all customs from the site, not just lighting kits. They have even removed MOCs of trains that might have infringed on logos from 70 odd years ago.

Lawyers have probably told them to get rid of anything that LEGO could be sued over.

stlux7BSdrdavewatfordmadforLEGOgmonkey76Lordmoral
  • izxizx USAMember Posts: 36
    edited February 13
    CCC said:
    They've removed all customs from the site, not just lighting kits. They have even removed MOCs of trains that might have infringed on logos from 70 odd years ago.

Lawyers have probably told them to get rid of anything that LEGO could be sued over.

Not just MOC/kits, merely instructions for historical trains without any logos claiming that it might infringe "design copyrights" of the steam locomotive manufacturer! (you can't copyright physical items and any patents on an entire locomotive--which wouldn't apply to instructions even if they ever existed in the first place--are long expired).

BL is quickly turning into an official sets, parts & set instructions only site. 
    datsunrobbieCCCLordmoral
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,541
    CCC said:

^ This.

LEGO's interest in lighting kits is nothing to do with their purchase of Bricklink, although that won't stop people from adding 2 and 2 together and making 5....
    stluxBumblepantsgmonkey76Lordmoralsid3windrM_Boss