Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Help using the forum

CynthiaMooreCynthiaMoore Silicon ValleyMember Posts: 7
I found this site searching for "Lego Discussion Forum". I have a 5-year-old grandson who we call The Lego Master. He routinely complete sets that are marked for ages 9+ and recently completed one marked for ages 14+.

I'd like to get his something really cool for Christmas, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions here. Which section would be the best place to post it?

Thanks

PS: If I put a blank line between the paragraphs, the Preview adds extra blank lines. To get the Preview to single space, I have to run all of the paragraphs together. Am I doing something wrong?
Bumblepants

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,877
    Hi Cynthia,
    Welcome to the forum!
    I would suggest posting in the Everything else LEGO section with a subject something like “Gift suggestions for advanced 5 year old”. 
    The extra blank lines are a current annoyance the forums are imposing on many or most of us; some get more than others. You aren’t doing anything wrong :)
    Baby_YodamadforLEGOdrdavewatfordCynthiaMoore
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,015
    Hello! Welcome to the forum! This is as good a place as any to post it. You could start a new topic in the Shopping section, but I'm sure people will respond right here too. :D
    First off: what kinds of sets does he generally like? Some kids like building spaceships, while others like trucks or animals. It'd be easier to offer selections if we had a general idea of his interests. There are hundreds of options currently in stores, hahaha.
    You can also peruse the "Holiday Gift Guides" that the admin team carefully assembled on the main page to help with just such a conundrum. :D

AstrobricksBaby_YodaKungFuKennydrdavewatfordMaffyDCynthiaMoore
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,289
    I suggest browsing the Lego website or catalog with him and seeing what excites him. If you had a Lego Brand store nearby that is even better.
    CynthiaMoore
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    You may also want to suggest a price range. The Modular Buildings line sounds like it might be the next 'step' in difficulty for him, but those sets go for well over $100 each, which might be too expensive for you.
    CynthiaMoore
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,445
    what about a 4000 pieces technic set?
    CynthiaMoore
  • CynthiaMooreCynthiaMoore Silicon ValleyMember Posts: 7
    Hi Cynthia,
    Welcome to the forum!
    I would suggest posting in the Everything else LEGO section with a subject something like “Gift suggestions for advanced 5 year old”. 
    The extra blank lines are a current annoyance the forums are imposing on many or most of us; some get more than others. You aren’t doing anything wrong :)
    OK, thanks
    klinton said:
    Hello! Welcome to the forum! This is as good a place as any to post it. You could start a new topic in the Shopping section, but I'm sure people will respond right here too. :D
    First off: what kinds of sets does he generally like? Some kids like building spaceships, while others like trucks or animals. It'd be easier to offer selections if we had a general idea of his interests. There are hundreds of options currently in stores, hahaha.
    You can also peruse the "Holiday Gift Guides" that the admin team carefully assembled on the main page to help with just such a conundrum. :D

Hi. I didn't include much information because, being new here, I wasn't sure if this was the right section. Now that I've started it here, I guess I'll continue it here.

At the moment he's primarily into Ninjago. Here are a few of the more difficult sets that he's recently completed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ3MYC5/ 460 pieces, ages 9+

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LB2K8D/ 544 pieces, ages 8-14

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKLFFMN/ 882 pieces, ages 9-14

He also completed this Golden Gate Bridge set:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX7R73M/ 565 Pieces, ages 12+

I had a little chat with him today. I think he would like some kind of vehicle, preferably Ninjago, with a remote control. Here's some that I found:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMGR1FN/ Batmobile, appears discontinued

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D75GN1C/ Racer, ages 6+?

I think it needs to be something stays on the ground. I don't think he ready for anything that flies (eg, drones).

Any other ideas?

Thanks

I suggest browsing the Lego website or catalog with him and seeing what excites him. If you had a Lego Brand store nearby that is even better.
    We have done that and there is a Lego store fairly nearby. But this is for Christmas, so I want it to be a surprise. :-)
    Baby_Yoda said:
    You may also want to suggest a price range. The Modular Buildings line sounds like it might be the next 'step' in difficulty for him, but those sets go for well over $100 each, which might be too expensive for you.
    I think for this Christmas, I'll stick to around $100 or so. Most of the sets he's done so far have been $30-$60 or so. His building skills are advanced for his age, but his caretaking skills are not. A couple of his creations have been broken or pieces lost. I don't want to spend too much until learns to do better.

Fauch said:
    what about a 4000 pieces technic set?
    The only 4,000 piece technic set I could find was $350. He could probably complete it, eventually, but I don't think he is quite ready to take care of it. Maybe in a couple of years.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,103
    This seems to fit your requirements.
    Being technic it's a slightly more advanced type of building but not horredndously so as it's only got 324 parts plus it's a currently available set.

CynthiaMoore
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2019
    That is not Lego, unfortunately.
    CynthiaMoore said:
    I had a little chat with him today. I think he would like some kind of vehicle, preferably Ninjago, with a remote control. Here's some that I found:
    There currently aren't any remote control Ninjago vehicles available, and I don't think there ever has been. If he has the set #70652 it can be modified to be remote controllable with the set #17101.

If that sounds like a bit much, the set #42095 is a vehicle with a remote control, but it's not Ninjago. It has an age range of 9+ which sounds to be about his ability.

The numbers above are clickable links, by the way.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was too slow!
    bandit778 said:
    This seems to fit your requirements.
    Being technic it's a slightly more advanced type of building but not horredndously so as it's only got 324 parts plus it's a currently available set.

That looks like an excellent choice. Thank you. They just moved to a more rural, wooded area, so he should have fun running it around outside -- well, maybe afyter the snow melts. :-)
    bandit778MaffyDdrdavewatford