Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2020 Modular Rumors

Comments

• legomaniacjlegomaniacj Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 11
    ecmo47 said:
    I just saw the 360 view. It's not very deep either. Kind of like a facade rather then a full building. Definitely  going to have fun modding it to my satisfaction. 
    https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/12/06/lego-creator-expert-modular-for-2020-revealed-as-10270-bookshop-news/

and I saw a review of it on youtube. Lego sent the guy the set just for the review. Looks fantastic to me, I would want to figure out how to make it a bit taller as well. I have other books I can put in it too because some of the minifigures have them. EEEEK! take my money!

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,785
    SumoLego said:
    This is a funny looking Police Precinct.
    They’re undercover.  21 Jump Street.
    CathyVTSumoLegogmonkey76stluxMynattsid3windrsklamb
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 808
    I think I love it.  The colors, the unique pieces...probably won't rush to get it but thinking we'll have it in our collection at some point.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,421
    I am among those who have not yet delved into the world of Modulars. However, offerings like this make it increasingly difficult to stay away. My initial reaction is that is is a highly appealing combination of buildings and colors. There might be a few oddities (such as the bricks mentioned by @CCC ), but overall I think it's pretty fantastic! 
    I had divested myself from all of my modular buildings to focus on MOCs and other themes.  The only one I kept was the Parisian Restaurant (for sentimental and aesthetic reasons).  I think this new modular is the most attractive design since PR, and being a bibliophile myself it is now on my want list...sigh <insert "slippery slope" meme here>
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2019
    Seriously you guys, considering element https://brickset.com/parts/6186681 is now 'officially' referred to as the “round nipple plate”, I would like to say on behalf of that fat ass from Southpark, Eric Cartman: "Wow! Totally Tits!"
    Anyway, yes! How awesome is this newest modular set, it is sweeeeeeeet!
    I really really really like this latest addition to the modular series a lot. When I buy it, I do want to add an extra floor to both buildings though, as well as extend it further to the back so you can put more stuff in the interior, such as a tiny kitchen, toilet, bathroom etc. I might heighten the streets too, so they are level with the Ninjago City sets, and put water in front of the pavement, and turn them into proper canal houses. That way the basement (or 'souterrain' as it is referred to in Dutch, using a French word, for a floor that is not a true basement as it is not entirely underground) can also be fully decorated and turned into an extra bedroom, or kitchen, or something else.
    legomaniacjeMJeeNL
    I don't get all these people nagging here and elsewhere about the amount of books in the bookshop.
    Just add some more yourself!

legomaniacjsklamb
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,548
    I'm surprised they don't seem to be using the printed birch limbs they made for the Frozen 2 sets. If I still collected modulars I would switch those out.
    tomahawkergmonkey76Mynatt
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 954
    I don't get all these people nagging here and elsewhere about the amount of books in the bookshop.

I know many won't appreciate this perspective, but not everyone gets joy out of modding sets they buy. I'd rather just build and appreciate the set that someone a thousand times more talented than me designed, and that I paid €160 for :)
    7BSM1J0EM_Bossgmonkey76thedingman5Jern92LegoEveryonelegomental

Seriously, I mean I have a few minifigures from one of the series that have books if I really wanted to add them. Or maybe they will make a poly bag for it with that, never know. Everyone has something negative to say. I could say "where is the child supposed to sleep? There isn't enough bedrooms for him and his parents. Or are those his grandparents" or... "why isn't the garden bigger with vines going up the side of the building? Where is the fire escape?" 

I love it and I am getting it day 1 regardless. 
    SnizzlebuttsTheBigLegoski
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 114
    I don't think Parisian Restaurant will ever be topped for me. BS looks ok, but needs a bit of work both inside and outside. I'll just continue working on my arcade MOC until we start speculating on what 2021 will bring :)
    legomaniacjlegomental
    shikadi said:
    I don't think Parisian Restaurant will ever be topped for me. BS looks ok, but needs a bit of work both inside and outside. I'll just continue working on my arcade MOC until we start speculating on what 2021 will bring :)
    didn't they say something about another being released mid year? Or would that be for a different topic like the fairgrounds... two in a year could happen 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,845
    Excellent, glad it is another mod were you can split it and move the buildings around.. a bit disappointed they have not done a hardware store yet though, I mean it is logical that builders would need tools.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 874
    SumoLego said:
    If there were more books, there be people complaining about too many books, and arguing that excessive books were just driving up the piece count and the retail price.
    Not to mention making the build process feel repetitive. Wall to wall books are a lovely sight in real life but to build them all from scratch could get tiresome fast.

I also saw someone complaining that more of the books on the shelves should have been removable book pieces, which I think would be a recipe for disaster any time you had to move the set (not to mention making the thickness of the spines a lot less varied).

As it is I really like the tiny size of the shop. Reminds me of the quirky used bookshops in my hometown. Not necessarily somewhere you go if you need the hottest releases or the widest selection, but definitely somewhere you can find unexpected treasures.

SnizzlebuttswardmM1J0Ebrickventures
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,098
    SumoLego said:
    In all seriousness, now I have to reconsider my residential block.  All of my Pet Shop brownstones will have some variation!

I don't mind variation if it is somewhat random. But here it is uniformly under the same type of pieces, as they don't have the right coloured parts for the job.
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 284
    For those of you who are disappointed in the height of the two buildings, the designer's video shows examples of what the buildings would look like by adding floors.
    legomaniacj
    Cymbeline said:
    For those of you who are disappointed in the height of the two buildings, the designer's video shows examples of what the buildings would look like by adding floors.
    I want to do this, but my wallet might not want me to do this. =( I need a money tree
    gmonkey76Pyrobug
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Legoboy said:
    The suggested retail price is 179.99 €.
    Which comes to just short of A$300. A pass for me, unless it's incredible.
    Looks like I'm buying it after all.
    (It's also A$250, for those curious.)
    SnizzlebuttsPolyphemus
    I just checked out the designer video:

When I get this set, I am definitely at some point doing all the things I commented on earlier in this topic. The first of those being: adding additional storeys to the buildings. In the video, you can catch a quick glimpse of how to go about it in a somewhat straight forward (lazy) way without too much hassle and changes. I don't want to get rid of that triglyph above the door of the main floor, so I will need to get more creative. Changing, modding, expanding and MOC'ing upon this set will be a lot of fun, even if you do not see many of the details in the end when the set is on display without actually grabbing it, and opening it up.
    I am even considering changing all the colours of the book store from light brown / toffee colour bricks to black, and many of the grey ones to white.
    ps.
    Actually the buildings aren't all that small when placed next to other modular buildings. Sure they are smaller, but not ridiculously small compared to the other ones.
    The 2020 Bookshop modular #10270 is totally spectacular IMO!

SnizzlebuttswardmKungFuKenny
  • SnizzlebuttsSnizzlebutts MelbourneMember Posts: 57
    I don’t why you would buy two sets just to add another floor to each building. What to do with the rest of the pieces? (Though I’m sure they are nice to have.)
    I don’t why you would buy two sets just to add another floor to each building. What to do with the rest of the pieces? (Though I’m sure they are nice to have.)
    That is one way to go about it. Instead of buying this set twice, you could also just rummage through your own brick collection to see what you have first, and then proceed to bricklink the rest, or see what you can find at the PAB wall in your Lego stores. Especially if you plan on e.g. changing the colours of one or both buildings, it makes no sense to buy a second copy of this set.
    Snizzlebutts
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,489
    I also think it seems to be one of the best modulars, though it's still not on the parisian restaurant level. unlike some others, I'm rather impressed by the amount of details indoor, yeah, the book shop is a bit empty, but it's still not bad, other rooms feel like they put stuff absolutely everywhere they could, it's pretty hard to cram that much furniture in such small spaces, especially with stairs in the way.
    SnizzlebuttsBrickchapshikadi
  • SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 89
    I wonder how the two buildings compare if one adds a floor to the apartment but keep the bookstore att the original height. (I try to picture it looking at the designer video).

I like it as it is. My obnoxious side miss a small bathroom and the smallest kitchenette (like, 4studs wide: no need for oven, could be just hot plate on top of drawers 2studs wide x 1 stud deep, and a sink 1-2studs wide x 1 stud deep)....wait a minute, even i can MOC that!!! Yey!!!

I wonder if i can make a bathroom too with my nonexisting MOCing skills...

I dont know why i want complete interiors - while I enjoy building interiors and the sometimes ingenious ways they are designed, i rarely take the modulars out from their shelfunits to admire the insides. 
    oldtodd33
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 640
    ^ I’m like that too. There’s just something that seems so satisfying & complete about putting in a nicely detailed interior, particularly as you point out, when it uses some ingenious designs. 
    SilverLove
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,423
    Just watched the designer video for the new modular. When he stacks an extra layer of floors, he's missed out a 1x2 plate with door rail #32028. Do I win a prize?

That door on the middle floor looks kinda odd.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76Baby_Yodacaterham7Jern92CCCandhe
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 284
    @Brainslugged obviously a few beverages were involved in that rebuild...
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 640
    ^ shouldn’t a few beverages be involved in any build?  Or maybe that’s just me... :D. 
    klintonTheBigLegoskiSilverLoveBaby_YodaCymbelineMynattBlueTacodavetheoxygenmanPolyphemus
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 457
    Looks like an improved version of the Pet Shop
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 310
    AWESOME! LOVE IT! and $260 AU roughly is a decent price. Its lacking in books, yes, but overall a great set. (unlike the 2019 failure). Moby Brick is cool. The minifigures are very disappointing to me personally. Day 1 purchase.  Plus it splits in half which is great and Lego finally released a modular that will look okay next to the left side of Parisian Restaurant.
    SilverLoveBaby_YodaSnizzlebuttsKungFuKenny
  • SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 89
    Brickchap said:
    AWESOME! LOVE IT! and $260 AU roughly is a decent price. ... Day 1 purchase. 
    Im so happy for you that you feel its a decent price. I often cringe inside when i see how much ozzies have to pay for lego. When i need a pick me up (in terms of Lego pricing) after watching an american review of a set, i think ”at least its not as expensive as in Oz”...no offence 😅
    Baby_YodaM1J0EPolyphemus
    Brickchap said:
    AWESOME! LOVE IT! and $260 AU roughly is a decent price. Its lacking in books, yes, but overall a great set. (unlike the 2019 failure). Moby Brick is cool. The minifigures are very disappointing to me personally. Day 1 purchase.  Plus it splits in half which is great and Lego finally released a modular that will look okay next to the left side of Parisian Restaurant.
    As a matter of fact, it's even less.
    SilverLove said:
    Im so happy for you that you feel its a decent price. I often cringe inside when i see how much ozzies have to pay for lego. When i need a pick me up (in terms of Lego pricing) after watching an american review of a set, i think ”at least its not as expensive as in Oz”...no offence 😅
    To be fair, we've had little to complain about for the past few months, at least in terms of what Lego can control. Between taxes and currency conversion, we're actually paying anywhere between $10 - $25 American less for this set than the US. It's not like the worsening exchange rates are making things any cheaper, but at least Lego now have a relatively good justification for their prices.
    Brickchap
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 713
    Has anyone else noticed that the set isn’t listed in the database with the “modular buildings” subtheme for creator expert? 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,446
    wardm said:
    Has anyone else noticed that the set isn’t listed in the database with the “modular buildings” subtheme for creator expert? 
    Looks like that has been fixed.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,240
    I don’t why you would buy two sets just to add another floor to each building.
    Reminds me of the 'buy extra copies' designs that were in the Cafe Corner.
    560HeliportJern92MCNwakeboard
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,599
    edited December 2019
    If it's only one floor that I can add from the set then no. If I can add two or more floors from a set then I will buy a 2nd or 3rd. Extra parts just go into the collection for later MOCs.
    560Heliport
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 386
    This set does look rather lovely. There is a chunkyness to it and the bold colours make me think of a friends style set rather than previous creator buildings. But I do like it. 

It does seem to suffering on space and detail like the pet shop did (not as much though) due to the split design. I do prefer the single building per 32x32 baseplate. The detectives office was the exception.

if I had space for a city, I could see me getting a couple of these sets to have 2 houses next to each other and modifying the bookshop to be a full baseplate. 

@Baby_Yoda Thanks for letting me know. $250 AU. FINALLY Lego has used some COMMON SENSE and priced a set at an acceptable price. This will be an absolute day 1 purchase for me. $250 is perfectly reasonable.

I really hope the bookshop will prove to Lego to keep things how they are: properly priced, European modulars are what people want and what they should get. Now occasional variations for a restaurant particularly (eg. an Oriental restaurant) or occasional American architecture that is not too American specific (i.e DO).

On that note, the architecture of this set is really good, in that is not too specific. Yes its 'European', although the designer said part of it was American inspired and I have had people say that the bookshop looks quite British therefore this will appeal to a wide variety of people and fit in a wide variety of cities.
    SnizzlebuttsBaby_Yoda
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    Just watched the designer video for the new modular. When he stacks an extra layer of floors, he's missed out a 1x2 plate with door rail #32028. Do I win a prize?

This looks like how it should have been, rather than the oddly short building we ended up getting.
    Brikingguachibrickventures
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    SumoLego said:
    I don’t why you would buy two sets just to add another floor to each building.
    Reminds me of the 'buy extra copies' designs that were in the Cafe Corner.
    Yeah, no kidding! I think the back of the box showed what it would look like combining 8 sets!
    SumoLegowardmandheM_Boss
    I still want this set and the more I look at it, the more I want to keep it as is. I may get pieces enough to make the bottom taller to make a full basement, the only problem with that is the main door will be stupid high. 
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,189
    I still want this set and the more I look at it, the more I want to keep it as is. I may get pieces enough to make the bottom taller to make a full basement, the only problem with that is the main door will be stupid high. 
    That's not unheard of. We have buildings here where the walk up is a full story above street level. There will often be a recessed entrance into the sub-level located around the side. 
    legomaniacjgmonkey76
    klinton said:
    That's not unheard of. We have buildings here where the walk up is a full story above street level. There will often be a recessed entrance into the sub-level located around the side. 
    oh, good to know! I also have the town people pack, I cannot remember what it was called but it has a white fence being painted and I have a lady mowing the lawn, I could put that in the back yard of this too!
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 945
    klinton said:

I thought about doing this too.  The main problem might be the extended stairs taking up too much space (outside and inside) in Lego form.  I would definitely like to see what it looks like with this modification done.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 874
    Jern92 said:

This looks like how it should have been, rather than the oddly short building we ended up getting.
    After Brickset posted pics of the new modular in a street I don't quite agree. The set as packaged seems to scale well enough with the other modulars. It looks to me like the taller and shorter sides are about on par with those of the Detective's Office, which seems to be a reasonable level of height variation.
    SnizzlebuttsstluxBaby_YodawardmSilverLove
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 952
    I feel that the exterior of this modular has a lot going for it overall, but honestly, the interior of the bookstore for me is just completely lacking.
    I absolutely loved the concept of a bookstore being a huge bibliophile and overall book nerd, but this just leaves me feeling quite meh!
    BrickchapKungFuKenny
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,850
    $250 AUD is £130 GBP.

In the UK the set is £150. Go figure.

All this time I've been thinking "crikey, Lego in oz must be really expensive", expecting sets there to be about 50% - 75% more than UK RRP, and the 'reasonable' oz price to be equivalent to about £180, when actually the Bookstore is cheaper than the UK RRP.

I'm never going to listen to an Aussie moan about Lego prices ever again. ;)
    BrikingBrainsluggedSnizzlebuttsBaby_Yodastluxsid3windrandheGlacierfalls265
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 386
    edited December 2019
    @Paperballpark are you accounting for tax.

£130 + VAT is £156. So does the Australian price include local taxes or not 
    Baby_Yodaandhe
    edited December 2019
    Brickchap said:
    @Baby_Yoda Thanks for letting me know. $250 AU. FINALLY Lego has used some COMMON SENSE and priced a set at an acceptable price. This will be an absolute day 1 purchase for me. $250 is perfectly reasonable.
    Yep. I would have been happy to pay $260 or even $270, which was the Pet Shop's RRP, but $250 is about what I would expect for a 2500-piece, unlicenced set that consists of mostly small and average-sized parts. This is about on par with other Modular Buildings purely by PPP, and may be slightly better where weight is considered.
    $250 AUD is £130 GBP.

In the UK the set is £150. Go figure.

All this time I've been thinking "crikey, Lego in oz must be really expensive", expecting sets there to be about 50% - 75% more than UK RRP, and the 'reasonable' oz price to be equivalent to about £180, when actually the Bookstore is cheaper than the UK RRP.

I'm never going to listen to an Aussie moan about Lego prices ever again. ;)
    Trust me, we usually do pay quite a bit more, but things have been not so bad lately. This may even be an experiment by Lego to see if lowering the (relative) price will entice more Australian buyers.
    @Paperballpark are you accounting for tax.

£130 + VAT is £156. So does the Australian price include local taxes or not 
    Yes. Australian prices almost always include taxes. Our goods and services tax is 10% on non-essentials, so stores will tend to price their items at round numbers and then take out 1/11 of that for GST. That's why it's easier to confirm whether it's Lego's doing when we pay more, since before-tax prices can be found easily. In this case, it's not, because we're paying less!
    SnizzlebuttsKungFuKenny
    @Paperballpark While I imagine your joking I dont think its fair to say Aussies have it easy due to one set. This is probably the first reasonably priced set Ive ever heard of.

Australia usually gets ANZAC (Australia New Zealand Auxiliary Cost), yes there is GST and all that but as Ive said previous, as a toy company Lego is providing a product and certain products should remain and a reasonable price for the 'stuff you get', yes prices go up and down, inflation etc. but whether your a pensioner or Gina Reinhart (richest Australian) you should NOT have to pay $300 for a 'regular' modular. (regular modulars should be around the $250 mark depending on pieces, obviously 'special' modulars like Town Hall and Assembly Square are more expensive).

Take the Disney train. Sorry but $500??? Thats half a thousand dollars for pieces of plastic. Sure, Australia may be a 'rich' country but were not all mining magnates with billions of dollars to throw around.

On a side note, does anyone know why some normal retail sets arent released in Australia? Creator Park Animals was not a retail exclusive yet I never saw a single one for sale in a single Australian store, or online store. The 2019 City Pickup & Kayak is also mysteriously been absent from regular store shelves, including the two offical lego stores yet I found one in a small Lego shelf at one Coles store!
    SnizzlebuttsJern92
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,358
    @Brickchap AUD 500 converts to EUR 308, which is lower than the EUR 330 RRP in Europe. The GBP 300 RRP in the UK currently actually converts to EUR 356.

Looking at Downtown Diner and Assembly Square, the Australian RRP for those is actually around the German RRP, which is the cheapest in Europe. Most other European countries pay more for those sets.
    sid3windrKungFuKenny