Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New wooden collectables

Comments

• FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 820
    I really wish we had some size measurements on it.  I'm really hoping for something decent sized... my sister had an amazing suggestion that, if they are large enough, I get four, and find a good sized piece of tempered glass so I can use them as legs on a coffee table.  Now I can't let go of that image, and I'll be really sad if they're not big enough to do that...
    DoktorLbrickventures
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,141
    There is a box picture on instagram showing the full figure.

It contains 30 pieces. A normal minifigure is only 9 if you totally deconstruct it, so I wonder how much assembly is required or what extras there might be.
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 245
    There's no pictures of the back yet so maybe there's a hollowed out bit with plates to put minifigs on and 3 minifigs and accessories included. That would be 3 plates plus 3 legs, 3 torsos, 3 heads and 3 sets of hair/hats with 2 accessories each, adding up to the remaining 21 pieces.

Or there's a stand to assemble with connections for the feet so it doesn't fall over that account for the other 21 parts.
    andhe
    edited October 2019
    I hope the part count is not screws or bolts needed to assemble it! Plus a brick separator Allen key, ikea style.

• FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 528
    Has it got wooden hands? Or are they yellow plastic to give flexibility when holding? 
    andhe
    I think I can see the grain in them suggesting wood, but it might just be a bad image.  It will look a bit crap if they put plastic hands in. They might as well make the whole thing from plastic if they do that.

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,830
    Perhaps interchangeable wooden peg leg etc? There's got to be a bit more to it than a standard wooden fig to justify a £110 pricetag no?
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 42
    If it comes with the salsa dispenser, I'm totally getting one.
    BumblepantsPyrobug
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 846
    Maybe the hands are indeed plastic and there are large scale accessories included in the box (but we can’t see them yet). It would mean there is at least some hand clutching power. Why else would they leave the hands in a different colour & seemingly different material? Looks great though
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,349
    Mmmm.  Feels very gimmicky to me.
    pharmjod
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 242
    If those are regular, yellow-plastic hands, these are some SMALL wooden figures.  No one's putting a table on four of these...
    andhe
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    I suspect they are plastic hands.  Looking at the apparent lack of quality of the timber that the rest of the figure is made from, those hands would snap the first time you tried to rotate them.
  • FodderFodder AustraliaMember Posts: 278
    Nice piece, but not $180 AUD nice....
    There is a write up here:

7 inches high. The hands definitely look plastic. It comes with 29 other parts, seems to be a lot of 2x2 round bricks, which fit in the hand.

So how many people will be missing their pre-booked appointment?
    Brainsluggedersisonatine01kiki180703WatfordScottyM
    Also advertised on the front page too.
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 171
    edited November 2019

It says limited edition but I can't see anywhere how many.. 1000, 10000, 100000, 1000000.... it says will be sold worldwide - so that suggests that "limited" may be a bit of a loose term maybe. This is their text.... "rare and limited-edition model before it goes on sale more widely to LEGO VIP-members on LEGO.com from November 3rd to 7th, then globally from November 8th." for me they need to be a little transparent on what limited maeans

also, as it'll be online as well in a couple of days - presumably with VIP points... I assume that means we get VIP points on purchasing at pop-up today/tomorrow.. if anyone who goes today can confirm etc that'd be great.

ersi
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,830
    Who suggested making a table out of these? :D

It's a nice item, but for £110 I expected something... bigger? And think I'd be hesitant to start customising it and potentially removing any future value (unless I was Banksy... and maybe I am).
    Hey "I'm Banksy" he hails in his best Spartacus era tone of voice !
    andhe
    andhe said:

You could buy eight and stack them two high to make the legs for a low coffee table.
    andhe said:
    And think I'd be hesitant to start customising it and potentially removing any future value (unless I was Banksy... and maybe I am).

If I was going to customise one, apart from just plain oil or varnish, I think I would buy an alarm clock and customise that instead. Plus it has the advantage of being posable like a real minifigure.
    dmcc0Switchfoot55
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    Hard pass for me. This is a product where you do a similar campaign to the FORMA set and market it to adults. Fully posable. There are numerous artisans that do this currently. This is just a big paper weight. I'm bummed. This could have been an awesome release.
    Fizyxdmcc0Bumblepants
    andhe said:

It's a nice item, but for £110 I expected something... bigger? And think I'd be hesitant to start customising it and potentially removing any future value (unless I was Banksy... and maybe I am).
    Yeah.... I'm really disappointed about the height.  For $120, I was expecting something more... substantial.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,279

$120 seems ridiculous for that piece. The classic wooden ducks are much better :)
    KungFuKennyLittleLori
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,041
    edited November 2019
    Fizyx said:
    I really wish we had some size measurements on it.  I'm really hoping for something decent sized... my sister had an amazing suggestion that, if they are large enough, I get four, and find a good sized piece of tempered glass so I can use them as legs on a coffee table.  Now I can't let go of that image, and I'll be really sad if they're not big enough to do that...

FizyxCCCKungFuKennykiki180703
    edited November 2019
    Fizyx said:

"Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea."
    KungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 717
    edited November 2019
    Gotta love David St. Hubbins but Nigel is my favorite... if I were to paint my wooden maxifig I would make it black.  How black you may ask?  The answer is none, none more black...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkGtW-fQ3s
    adiemc

Has anyone here got their hands on one today yet ?

edited November 2019
    https://brickset.com/article/46690/review-wooden-minifigure

Review up on the main page...Huw’s bottom line was “ if you can afford it, you'll love it. If you can't, it's not for you. Much like any luxury item, really...”
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,519
    I hope that didn't come across as too flippant or dismissive!
    Speedman29Switchfoot55KungFuKennyFizyxBaby_YodaSumoLegogmonkey76kiki180703
    :-)

I can afford it, but there are better LEGO things to spend my money on. Although next time I see one of the handcrafted ones I might buy. They always seemed expensive, but now look comparatively cheap.

andhepharmjodLittleLorikiki180703AndyPol
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,870
    Eventually I'll get one but I want to hold out for a duck.
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 57

I think Huw's summary, if my interpretation of it is accurate (and I stand very much to be corrected on that potentially) is probably spot-on in terms of LEGO's positioning of this product as a "premium" branded item.  At present the LEGO brand has quite successfully broken out with quite a few Ideas cross-over sets and to some extent the LEGO movies too.  So why not capitalise on that.  Nobody buys a £400 t-shirt because it's good value for money, they buy it hopefully in part because they like the design but also because its price buys them some degree of exclusivity.  This product feels very much like that, as I suspect other products in this range will.  I bet plenty will be purchased as gifts because of the halo of cool around the brand for those with otherwise scant connection to it (not that this is a criticism), spot them appearing on office desks near you soon.

So for me, sure it's affordable but its size and lack of articulation mean I certainly won't be buying one initially.  But I can't entirely rule out the possibility that it might not get purchased on a whim because "it's kinda neat".  Yeah, I know, fickle.

Also, I will say, I really like the job they did on the packaging.  But why did nobody think to include an "exclusive" wood grain printed minifig too, now that would have made a good display combo.

ersiLittleLori
    And as you'd suspect there are already some on Ebay (UK) for resale... including someone with 2 to sell.. The listing shows the Limited edition Patent Print being given out in the pop up store is an edition of 2000 copies.
    DeMontes
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 582
    I think I like the print more than the figure now.  I wouldn't mind one of the prints to hang on the wall as part of my Red 2x4 Brick collection :-)
    LittleLori
    The poster is only £175 and you get a free 7" wooden minifigure.

Although the top left corner looks a bit dog eared.

• DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 582
    CCC said:
    The poster is only £175 and you get a free 7" wooden minifigure.

Although the top left corner looks a bit dog eared.

hahaha....I like your thinking!
  • ersiersi SlovakiaMember Posts: 227
    do you get poster if you order on november 3rd also?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,852
    On holiday in Mexico right now and they had an 18" one in Playa Del Carmen carved out of beautifully grained copal wood fully articulated. Looked immaculately machined, and lightly etched/scorched Lego Spiderman print for £80/2000 Pesos, with an iron wood inlaid spider on the chest and eyes. If it hadn't been such a lump in the suitcase, I'd have bought it.

Wish my phone hadn't been flat when I saw it (no pics). 

No other variants there, but Spiderman is very popular for the wrestling masks they sell.
    KungFuKennyandheFireheartpharmjodLittleLorikiki180703
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 528
    I think the long and short of it is that there are craftsmanship of these out there already done by very skilled people, and are a lot better quality than LEGO’s attempt, and for pretty much the same price.
    LEGO’s ones are massed produced, but if they cannot match the quality of what’s being done already out there then they are not doing their brand much favours..

Maybe they should stick to what they are currently very good at..
    sonatine01Speedman29LittleLorikiki180703Recce
    If anyone decide to sell their poster that was given with it instore let me know
    Ok so my appointment is 17.30, was just in the leicester sq store and they had on display with comment at register that if interested they are taking walk-ins so i could go sooner... just been, walked straight in, ticked off list and you’re now allowed 2 !!!!!! Wonder of they need to drum up people and give 2.. all that combined maybe suggests maybe a few no shows?
    ersiKungFuKennyFireheartLittleLorikiki180703
    I would love to get one with poster :D but here in Slovakia we dont even have lego store
    What is interesting is they couldn't say how limited it was.. given it is advertised as ‘rare and limited edition’ they could fall foul of uk consumer law as they are implying an urgency and limit which the consumer can’t decide if is real or not.
    I was trying to find this information how limited is it. I have contacted them trough live chat but they said they dont know :D :D 
    They were giving VIP points though, appeared on my account inmediately.
    LittleLori
    Just noticed this on the website. Seems like an odd combo. Not sure where the £192.78 comes from either. Not 100% clear but I think it's only one minifigure.

And these:

I feel somewhat misled now....  so taking the classic bundle above with its £49.99 classic set at rrp i could have had that from my armchair without going to london for only 15 more than the minifig today on its own..

Coming soon in the US also... wonder what the supply is like and if they will sell out quickly or linger?
    Not sure where the £192.78 comes from either. Not 100% clear but I think it's only one minifigure.
    I think the wooden fig was £114.99. So the £29.99 holder and 16 x £2.99 minifigs comes to £192.82. I wouldn't want to order 16 CMFs without feeling them first though.
    andhe
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    The store and experience was very brief and efficient; pleased to see several interpretations of the Minifigures from various designers and artists.

In the potential future I'd like to see recreations of iconic wooden products, and the possibility of Ole Kirk's motto “Only the best is good enough” that was made by Godtfred in 1934.

LEGO Originals Pop Up Store  Gallery 2nd November 2019
    SeanTheCollectorstluxKungFuKennyMynattLittleLorikiki180703Baby_Yodasnowhitie