Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Harry Potter Discussion

Comments

• Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 805
    I've just seen the new Harry Potter book in a store. The picture shows that the red/green/yellow/blue 2x2 tiles use stickers for the four house crests. However, the 2x2s are actually printed in the set. I think even the 4000 piece Hogwarts Castle used stickers so this could be worth a purchase.
    What book is this? Do you have a link to it?
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 85
    Jern92 said:
    I've just seen the new Harry Potter book in a store. The picture shows that the red/green/yellow/blue 2x2 tiles use stickers for the four house crests. However, the 2x2s are actually printed in the set. I think even the 4000 piece Hogwarts Castle used stickers so this could be worth a purchase.
    What book is this? Do you have a link to it?
    I think it is US exclusive. 

https://www.dk.com/us/book/9780241363737-lego-harry-potter-build-your-own-adventure/
    TXLegoguy
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,049
    @Jern92 I don't think it's regionally exclusive.
    It is available in the UK too. Haven't checked elsewhere though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Harry-Potter-Build-Adventure/dp/024136373X

Jern92
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 233
    With the four next Potter sets rumoured, do you think we will see more sets based on the third or fourth film, or will we be moving on to five and six with that wave? While there are plenty of subjects left to make sets of (for the 2018- reboot) from the first two films, they've covered pretty much everything set-worthy from the third and fourth. The only two obvious candidates I can think of are The Shrieking Shack and the Second Task. As they've soon released all the figs from the scenes at the Shrieking Shack (except full werewolf Lupin) it doesn't seem like the most obvious choice to me anymore. I hope they go back and do more sets for one and two, but I guess they might start doing five and six as well.

I'm most curious about what the small set à la Aragog's Lair and Expecto Patronum! will be for those two films. I think either Harry and Dumbledore vs. the inferi, Harry and Dudley vs. the dementors, Dumbledore vs. Voldemort, or (my dream) Umbridge vs. the centaurs. I'm also curious to see how many locations outside Hogwarts we will see for the last four films.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,309
    I know it won’t happen but would like to see a modular series for Harry Potter.
    ratical30wardmmustang69legomental
  • RoebuckRoebuck Slitu, NorwayMember Posts: 59
    J0rgen said:
    vs. the centaurs.
    If they go back to the first film again a great little set would be Draco and Harry in the dark forest with Fang and a centaur ;)
    If it is a winter wave I think 1-4 or 3-4 is most likely, if it is the normal summer wave leaking really early it is 5-6..

starfire2 said:
    I know it won’t happen but would like to see a modular series for Harry Potter.
    A Diagon Alley with modulars would be great, most sets could be half of the normal series maybe so they got a different price range
    J0rgendaewooBriking
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 380
    Yeah, the shops in Diagon Alley would translate very well to 16 wide, excepting Fred & George's corner shop, which seemed to be quite large.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,383
    Of course some of the shops would need to be 16 wide on the outside but 32 inside...
    im2cre8ivAddicted2OxygenBaby_Yodagmonkey76eddiew560Heliportwardmdmcc0Fizyx
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 165
    @J0rgen - If you were in charge of LEGO's Harry Potter theme my wallet would be screaming in fear but I love your ambitious hopes.
    Mr_CrossJ0rgenFizyx
    @Cymbeline Haha! Well, the people who are in charge probably started out with a similar breakdown of all the possible scenes to make sets from, before picking the best candidates for sets, so I don't think I'd be allowed to make absolutely everything either, but seeing  as we're getting the Beauxbatons carriage as an upcoming set, I think a little optimism for what the future might bring isn't too crazy.
    7BSCymbelinewardm
  • im2cre8ivim2cre8iv Utah, USAMember Posts: 91
    When is the calendar due out?
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,343
    Sept. 1st in US.
    im2cre8iv
  • JMasterJMaster USAMember Posts: 10
    It's sad that two of the sets I've been looking forward to the most- a Basilisk and/or Chamber of Secrets, and the Hungarian Horntail- kinda suck in my opinion. I mean, why put the Basilisk in the primarily Sorcerers's Stone Great Hall? Considering it has the boats, the Mirror and Proffesor Quirrell, it seems like a partially brick-built Troll made like the 2014 Groot and Sentinel figures would have been perfect, but noooo... throw in that pitiful Basilisk build instead. And the Horntail looks nothing like the Horntail to me aside from, well... the tail. I think the Elves Goblin King dragon is a better looking Hungarian Horntail than the actual set. Ah well, it's such a shame since most of the other sets are pretty good to great in my opinion, oh well.
    LittleLori
    JMaster said:
    It's sad that two of the sets I've been looking forward to the most- a Basilisk and/or Chamber of Secrets, and the Hungarian Horntail- kinda suck in my opinion. I mean, why put the Basilisk in the primarily Sorcerers's Stone Great Hall? Considering it has the boats, the Mirror and Proffesor Quirrell, it seems like a partially brick-built Troll made like the 2014 Groot and Sentinel figures would have been perfect, but noooo... throw in that pitiful Basilisk build instead. And the Horntail looks nothing like the Horntail to me aside from, well... the tail. I think the Elves Goblin King dragon is a better looking Hungarian Horntail than the actual set. Ah well, it's such a shame since most of the other sets are pretty good to great in my opinion, oh well.
    They just put the basilisk there as a play-feature for kids. A troll would probably fit better, but with only a few normal bricks to work with may have ended up even worse looking.. We do not know what Lego is planning either, both COS and troll on the loose could be sets they are planning to release further down the road :)
    ShibSnizzlebutts
  • JMasterJMaster USAMember Posts: 10
    Roebuck said:
    They just put the basilisk there as a play-feature for kids. A troll would probably fit better, but with only a few normal bricks to work with may have ended up even worse looking.. We do not know what Lego is planning either, both COS and troll on the loose could be sets they are planning to release further down the road :)
    I got ya, it's just a shame that's what they went with. It also looks like they're going through the Book years with the sets, the new waves exclusively having Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire themes, so I assume next will cover the Order/Prince/Hallows books. Ah well, it happens.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,260
    Typically LEGO themes have a 2-3 year cycle with the exception of City, Ninjago and Friends which are "evergreen" and the one and done themes whicb are generally tied to one off film releases.

Based on what we've seen so far I think the current Wizarding World theme has been based on a three year run. This would put next year's releases of the plan as the last. However TLG aren't stupid, if they can see a lot of money coming in they will adapt their plan. The first wave of this run seemed to fly off shelves, at that point they might have started a plan for cycling more sets into a fourth and fifth year.

While they have done some repeats and filled some holes in the content not released before I think there are a few bits that seem so standard for LEGO to make that it's a little suspicious that they didn't do them. I suspect some possible sets have been put on a "if we do more years we'll come back to this" pile. 

TL:DR - we might always get more later. 
    Mr_Cross
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,291
    edited August 2019
    I agree - it seems that Lego has planned for both the theme to continue or end. Some themes that were intended for just three years, like Nexo Knights and Ultra Agents, fell short, but then you have Minecraft and Ninjago that evidently surpassed expectations. I think Wizarding World will fall into the latter category for at least another year. There's a reason Harry Potter is selling sets so many years after Lego's first wave.
    KungFuKenny
    Even though a pure Deathly Hallows in 2021 might be a little dark, I expect the theme to last at least four years. A second minifig series seems more and more likely, and I doubt the advent calendar is going to be a one off, because it's gonna sell like crazy. The Harry Potter reboot is the best planned LEGO series I've ever seen, and I think it might go far.
    RoebuckrwsalesLittleLoriFizyxwardmMr_CrossBaby_YodaJMaster
  • airways09airways09 Bournemouth, UKMember Posts: 30
    Free 30407 set giveaway at Symths on 24th Aug at all UK stores Hogwarts https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/in-store-events
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,049
    J0rgen said:
    The Harry Potter reboot is the best planned LEGO series I've ever seen, and I think it might go far.
    Yep, I've pretty much abandoned Star Wars as a theme in order to get the HP sets. I never really liked the theme in its original run, (Harry's mop-hair looked awful) but the new sets are just brilliant.
    JMasterwardm
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 450
    ^I did a similar thing but with DC Super Heroes. The exaggerated focus on Batman plus the fantastic designs of the HP minifigs and sets made me shift towards the latter. I even had to get the HP CMFs (Fantastic Beasts excluded).
    JMaster
  • DarthMaumDarthMaum Member Posts: 9
    Thanks LittleLori! All my sorting loose pieces comes in handy when an opportunity like this shows up.
    LittleLoriMr_Cross
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,783
    Would like to know what they mean by best selling, don't a d2c selling as many as a star wars battle pack.
    Fizyx
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 165
    I assume it's based on gross revenue from sales of that set. I'd love to see the actual volume comparisons, but they'll never reveal actual numbers for either.
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 596
    Makes me happy and hopeful for lots more to come! 
    KungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 652
    Where does one find the list of top 10 selling sets?
    Where does one find the list of top 10 selling sets?
    I came across the sets by chance on the inside tour a few weeks ago. I asked the guide what those seemingly random 10 sets on display where and she told me it was the best-selling sets last year! She was sure it was published, but I have not seen it anywhere and think it is a very interesting thing to know :)
    stluxFizyxRonyar
    interesting. Do you remember what the other 6 were?
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 826
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,917
    kez said:
    Let's all dance around the room with joy!

kezBaby_YodaHugeYellowBrickstlux560HeliportGlacierfalls265LittleLoribrickventuresdavetheoxygenman
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,095
    Is there another Fantastic Beasts film coming next Fall this might be tied to? Or is HP just doing really great?
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 450
    I hope that if there's really a HP S2 CMFs, it's just HP and not Fantastic Beasts. And no chase figures.
    SumoLegogmonkey76snowhitiemustang69
    @Bumblepants the third fantastic beasts was suppose to come out next fall but was delayed until 2021, it's possible lego had planned the series to coincide with the third movie but with the success of the theme are just doing it anyways.
    Bumblepants
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    Even Hornby are re-releasing a Hogwarts Express set, so there seems to be a market for Harry Potter items.
    interesting. Do you remember what the other 6 were?

Police Station 60141

Friendship House 41340

BOOST Creative Toolbox 17101

LEGO® Large Creative Brick Box 10698

Millennium Falcon 75192

Bugatti Chiron 42083

A new bulldog mould and a new owl print has leaked!
    I do not think any of them are made for HP/FB, but the owl can be used there with the other owls and we may see the bulldog as Ripper with a slightly different print and color in a future HP set ;)
    catwrangler
    That bulldog with the frenchman is old, but the owl is indeed new. I'm really wondering why it's blinking...
    J0rgen said:
    That bulldog with the frenchman is old, but the owl is indeed new. I'm really wondering why it's blinking...
    It is not the french bulldog, but a new mould of a English bulldog!
    The owl comes in a city fireman set apparently, maybe it is blinking because of the smoke coming from the burning tree it is sitting in :P
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 402
    Quick question. Which minifigures in the HP advent calendar are exclusive?
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 608
    edited November 2019
    kbw said:
    Quick question. Which minifigures in the HP advent calendar are exclusive?
    All of them bar Dumbledore, though the McGonagall one is very similar to the one in the Great Hall set, just has a one sided head instead of a double sided.
    kbwLittleLoridannyrww
  • Voltron86Voltron86 UKMember Posts: 10
    75950 Aragogs Lair is call to check at Lego USA, does anyone know when the other first wave sets are due to retire? Still need to get Hogwarts great hall.
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 165
    I believe the rumors are everything from 2018 is retiring this month/retired except for the Great Hall, which I assume will retire next December, along with most of the 2019 sets.

Great Hall seems to be lynchpin set, and I assume it is selling very well.
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,385
    Normally, the 'entry' set and the 'iconic' set hang around until a re-design.  (Hagrid's Hut and the Great Hall.)  I think casual consumers want to get all of principal characters.

Police Stations, Aluminum Falcons, Juice Bars, Samurai Mechs, Spider-Man Tricycles, Batmobiles, and Quinjets... gotta have 'em!
    gmonkey76KungFuKennyCharmiefcb

From what I have read, the only sets to retire now is:

-Aragog's Lair 75950
    -Advent Calendar 75964
    -Newt´s Case of Magical Creatures 75952
    -Grindelwald´s Escape 75951

Take that with a grain of salt, but would not suprise me that most of the HP sets are selling enough still to stay alive even longer. Remember 3 of them was top10 best sellers in 2018 ;) On the other hand smaller shops with limited space usually prioritise to use shelf-space on the newest sets, so could be hard to find many of them now except on Lego's own shops..

• OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 314

All I need from 2018 are Hogwarts Express, Whomping Willow and Quidditch Match. I'll probably pick them up by the end of January and start the building process of all the backlog Potter Sets.

With so many attachments so far I'm wondering what is next for the Minifigure scale Castle. Perhaps the bridge and astronomy towers??? Or a library. Um, unless that's in the Great Hall set or something. Still haven't built it yet.