Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    autolycus said:
    SumoLego said:
    Remember how it was said that TLG would never do another UCS MF...
    TLG will never release another UCS MF.
    FOMO triggered!!!
    Now, don't be silly!
    SumoLegoVorpalRyu
  • ChromideChromide Ssi-ruuvi ImperiumMember Posts: 62
    I'd like to see some prequel-era Separatist capital ships made in UCS, like the Lucrehulk-class droid control ship or the Invisible Hand.
    KungFuKennybpk2300
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    Still waiting for that UCS A-Wing...
    gmonkey76SumoLegoMaffyD
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,359
    New gwp poly bag of the Boost droids if you buy the Boost droids set. Bummer if you already have it but pretty cool if you haven't. 
    LittleLoriomniumSumoLegoFireheartKungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,392
    Sad but the free droid set really was enough to make me pull the trigger - promotions do work :)
    Actually with the lunch box and the juice bar, that is a good freebee haul for a single purchase

BumblepantsFizyxKungFuKennybpk2300
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 838
    That lunch box is actually really, really cool. I love how they integrated the patent artwork and original color swath on it!
    KungFuKenny
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    A wing. That is all. I buy ships and nothing else.

And a U Wing actually.
    And an updated B Wing.
    And a TIE Bomber would be good.
    And a new Interceptor. And Imperial Shuttle.

That's it. I promise.
    Astrobricks
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 850
    MaffyD said:

And a U Wing actually.
    And an updated B Wing.

That's it. I promise.
    You missed Rogue One.  I can't believe they didn't even make a set of that ship, let alone a UCS.
    TheBigLegoskiBumblepantsCaptainRogersThe_RancorMaffyDAstrobricks
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 800
    Since buying my first UCS set this year (Y-Wing at 25% off), I'd love to add more ships. A-Wing and B-Wing are two of my favorites, but a Jedi Interceptor or Republic Gunship/Venerator would also be amazing. And Rogue One also had some great ships that tie in nicely with the OT. A U-Wing, Krennic's shuttle, or the cargo ship the rebels steal seem a proper fit. While not a huge fan of the sequel trilogy, I think Rey's Speeder is a great candidate for a UCS build. It could be a smaller one a la Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter. 
    KungFuKennyFizyx
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,392
    The Royal Star Ship fro EP1 would have to be top of the list, Quickly followed by an A-Wing.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,205
    I think Rey's Speeder is a great candidate for a UCS build. It could be a smaller one a la Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter. 
    I don't see the attraction in any UCS models that really need people to make them look complete. E.g. landspeeder or Rey's speeder. That said, I did recently see an awesome Rey's speeder someone had made that fit the constraction figure.

I loved the UCS B-wing. I never understood why it didn't get more love at the time.
    KungFuKennyPyrobugSumoLegoThe_Rancor
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,085
    Since buying my first UCS set this year (Y-Wing at 25% off), I'd love to add more ships. A-Wing and B-Wing are two of my favorites, but a Jedi Interceptor or Republic Gunship/Venerator would also be amazing. And Rogue One also had some great ships that tie in nicely with the OT. A U-Wing, Krennic's shuttle, or the cargo ship the rebels steal seem a proper fit. While not a huge fan of the sequel trilogy, I think Rey's Speeder is a great candidate for a UCS build. It could be a smaller one a la Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter. 
    Unfortunately it seems like Lego is focusing on OT UCS sets for now... I think the last non-OT set was #10215 from 9 years ago and it didn't sell well if I recall (large numbers on clearance).  Don't get me wrong, I'm primarily an OT fan, but I would like some variety (Republic Gunship, Republic Dropship with AT-OT, Venator, U-Wing, etc)
    I don't see the attraction in any UCS models that really need people to make them look complete. E.g. landspeeder or Rey's speeder. That said, I did recently see an awesome Rey's speeder someone had made that fit the constraction figure.

I agree on the Rey's Speeder by @Paperballpark... it made that Rey constraction figure look good, which is saying something IMO ;-)
    560HeliportBrainsluggedThe_Rancor
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 472
    A few people asking for a B-wing remake but didn't the last one not sell too well?  I remember it was half off during a May the 4th promo, which is when I got one.  I personally love the B-wing and it's my favorite of the 4 OT Rebel starfighters but it barely got any screentime so I feel like it's not really a ship that many people like or even remember.

If I had to guess why the B-wing was made into a UCS over the A-wing first, it's probably that it's much more impressive looking, especially at UCS scale.  That said, it's not nearly as iconic as an X or Y-wing and even the A-wing had its time to shine with a kamikaze attack.  So my guess is that it won't be getting a rehash anytime soon.
    gmonkey76
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 284
    Wasn't the last OT A-Wing basically UCS? It was big, overly detailed and expensive at least.
    edited September 2019
    J0rgen said:
    Wasn't the last OT A-Wing basically UCS? It was big, overly detailed and expensive at least.
    The only ones I recall were system scale and no more than 300 pieces each... feel free to insert "it's smaller than I remembered" jokes here
    edited September 2019
    Nice UCS topic on the main page:
    There can only be one right answer of course: mine!  ;-P  (just kidding)
    Anyway, I would love to see TLG do this spaceship as a UCS set:
    Rogue One!
    Zeta-class Heavy Cargo Shuttle (SW06-08)
    Minifig scale of course, including Kyber crystal payload, and crew: a couple of Imperial pilots, defector Bodhi, Imperial ground crew (whose uniforms got stolen after the rebels KO'ed them), and some rebels from the Rogue squad: K-2SO, Jyn, Cassian etc.

FizyxThe_RancorBrickByBrick
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,099
    edited September 2019
    ^ Rogue One is certainly something I think is believable - and the film in general has got so much more goodwill and credibility going for it than Disney’s other films which really angered some people.

The UCS Imperial Shuttle from Endor was close to minifig scale and I think a similar rule could be applied to a Rogue One ship. You have to question why we get some sets sometimes though - I really like the red TIE but Griff’s TIE from Resistance is actually probably more ridiculous as a subject matter than the headless AT-ST. The aerodynamics are cool but the colours are pretty boring and the minfigs are dull - what happened to basically ANY other racer’s ship from Resistance with more colour to it - Tora’s or Hype’s ships come to mind!
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 685
    ^I hope we do get at least a few more Resistance sets, some of those other racer's ships would make cool sets
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    Fizyx said:
    MaffyD said:

And a U Wing actually.
    And an updated B Wing.

That's it. I promise.
    You missed Rogue One.  I can't believe they didn't even make a set of that ship, let alone a UCS.
    Every list has to be incomplete in some way, otherwise what would people nitpick over? :-) I mean, I've missed loads of ships from that movie and others - have you seen Wookieepedia?
    Also, I'm not actually much bothered about that ship... my reasons are... hard to explain. Glad you want it though.
    Fizyx
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,687
    Fireheart said:
    I think they need to go into new territory in terms of Star Wars and what currently exists in the various movies that they haven’t touched as yet.

Recently I picked up the Four Sages Of Dwartii statues from Galaxys Edge, these would make amazing additions to the UCS collection. Nice detailed LEGO models of the statues. And would go well in a Star Wars diorama, or as stand alone statues in a LEGO display.

I imagine that would leave a lot of people scratching their heads wondering what they are. I don't think UCS sets are that niche and still need to appeal to relatively casual watchers as well as die hard fans.

stluxBumblepantsSumoLego
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 593
    ^ I imagine that at some point in the Disney money making machine, these will come to light, and a back story will be told, with reference to Palpatine, and Snoke.

I don’t class myself as a die hard fan, just interested in the back story and the untold myths of the beginning of it all.

LEGO need to move on from the easy rehash they are currently doing.. yes it makes them money in the sort term,  but it also makes collectors who can spend the £600 plus these days a little bit “here we go again” when the latest UCS Star Wars Set is revealed. 
    Fizyx
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,687
    Fireheart said:

LEGO need to move on from the easy rehash they are currently doing.. yes it makes them money in the sort term,  but it also makes collectors who can spend the £600 plus these days a little bit “here we go again” when the latest UCS Star Wars Set is revealed. 
    I guess what matters here is the sales volume, and if LEGO look at the UCS MF, then chances are they see that updated classics sell well. With the ISD, I think the majority of the complaints are "too expensive" rather than "not again".
    dougtsTheBigLegoskiFizyxJ0rgenmustang69Mr_Cross
    If they put out a prequel or sequel UCS set all the internet would collectively groan 'ermergerd why you do this Lego!? We all hate those and only buy OT stuff!1!!'

Even with OT stuff the B-Wing tanked pretty hard and had to be blown out at -50%. Cloud City has struggled even though fans were clamoring for it to be revisited. The Brick Fan is reporting that will even be retiring soon. 

Another factor is the System Star Wars sets are getting so big, detailed, and expensive they are pushing into UCS territory to some extent. The next Kylo Ren Shuttle is rumored at $150, the new Falcon would surprise me if it was less than $200. The UCS ships almost have to move to $300+ to even stand out over the regular line which makes them a harder sell.

SumoLegoKungFuKennystluxFizyxMr_CrossFollowsCloselybpk2300
    You are right, there definitely is a market for 'updates'. The updated Death Star is a good example. It is pretty much the same set, with the updated minifigs making the big difference. At some point the first edition DS's minifigures really looked outdated compared to the current minifigs present in all other SW sets. I think it was a good thing, they released an updated Death Star set.
    I was very much on the fence about getting the old one, and at some point was no longer all that interested in it, but with the release of the updated DS that all changed again.
    The same thing can be said in favour of the new UCS MF, even though they did much more than just update the minifigs. OK, you don't buy that set because of the minifigs, even if it did not include any, it still is the ultimate SW set for people who are both into SW and building huge and complex models (I assume it is at least as complex or 'difficult' a built as the creator expert models?!).
    Though 'rehashes' of previous models without any of much design improvement, run the risk of being perceived as lazy and repetitive, and because of that perhaps even flop.

^ Rogue One is certainly something I think is believable - and the film in general has got so much more goodwill and credibility going for it than Disney’s other films which really angered some people.

The UCS Imperial Shuttle from Endor was close to minifig scale and I think a similar rule could be applied to a Rogue One ship. You have to question why we get some sets sometimes though - I really like the red TIE but Griff’s TIE from Resistance is actually probably more ridiculous as a subject matter than the headless AT-ST. The aerodynamics are cool but the colours are pretty boring and the minfigs are dull - what happened to basically ANY other racer’s ship from Resistance with more colour to it - Tora’s or Hype’s ships come to mind!
    That UCS Imperial shuttle was really beautiful (based on pictures and video's I have seen). I don't think it had much of an interior, which was kind of a shame, if I remember correctly!?! Still it was/is a beautiful display model.
    ON a youtube channel called BrickVault are a bunch of video's showing the making of a MOC in progress of Scarif that includes a huge Zeta-class Heavy Cargo Shuttle MOC that looks really amazing! (I haven't watched any of their video's in months, but I will look up and link this one for you to watch):

I don't know much about 'Resistance', I stopped watching it after about 7 episodes. The red TIE-Interceptor (or what ever it is called) looks great. It is on my wish list (though not at the top), the one other set from that cartoon series looks just weird. At least the pictures advertising the set aren't selling it to me, and I never bothered to look for a review video that might change my opinion on it. I don't understand why TLG never made any of the other ships. Kids who love Ninjago probably would like those more colourful spaceships as long as the sets are both well-designed and teeming with play features, and also include all the heroes and villains from that TV-show too. The minifig selection in those two sets they did make, seem a bit half-baked with Poe Dameron and Leia, who are not very exiting background characters. I have no idea how popular that show is, and how many seasons are in the making etc. etc.

Fizyx
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 800
    I think Rey's Speeder is a great candidate for a UCS build. It could be a smaller one a la Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter. 
    I get what you're saying, I really do. But playing devil's advocate here... Aren't all ships, be definition, needing people to be complete? 
    TheBigLegoski
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,595
    ^ Not the droid gunships, #7678, #75042, #75233! Yet they each had a cockpit space for a battle droid "pilot".
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 379
    I'm in the minority, but I fail to see the appeal of the Rogue One Zeta-class Imperial shuttle, maybe even less as a UCS than a System-scale. I would much, much rather have a UCS U-Wing, even though the R1 U-Wing set wasn't small by any stretch and was very well done.  I would also love to see a UCS TIE Silencer, but given its small amount of screen time and the general backlash to TLJ overall, I doubt it'll ever happen.

One area I think the Prequels are under-appreciated in is the number of new vehicles they gave the franchise: the chrome Nubian ships, the N-1, the Aethersprite and Delta class interceptors, the republic gunships, ARC-170 fighters, walkers, capital ships, and a number of others.  The ST has had very few new vehicles, and none that I can think of from Force Awakens: the AT-M6, ski speeder, and TIE Silencer are all from Ep VIII. But given how poorly the prequel trilogy has traditionally been viewed, I'm not surprised that the majority of UCS offerings are from the OT - though that opinion may shift given how divisive both ST movies have been.  There is a lot riding on Ep IX, but I don't think TRoS will solve the sins of the previous two movies. 
    KungFuKennyMaffyD
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 384
    ^TFA did give us a new Star Destroyer, Kylo's Command Shuttle, and the First Order Troop Transport - and repainted TIE Fighters, although I think perhaps the look inside the cockpit is the best bit from FO TIEs. For lesser ships, there's the Resistance Troop Transport, Han's ship Ervana, the Quadjumper, FO snowspeeder. Yes, most of them are either rehashes of OT ships or very much in the background, but they are there.
    Astrobricks
    The potential upcoming Kylo Shuttle might as well be UCS with its size. Looks slightly bigger even than the dark grey one from TFA.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,205
    I also think the regular minifig sets could almost be considered UCS. In that they are pretty much minifig-scaled and that Lego seems to be happy to throw as many parts at them as necessary to get them right. The Rogue One sets set a new benchmark in this respect. The TIE Stiker was one of my fave sets ever because it's such a dense, well-designed build. The AT-ST, U-Wing and Solo TIE Fighter were all up there as well, as is the most recent X-Wing. In fact, even though I got the actual UCS Tie, I've never especially loved it as it always just seemed like a scaled-up version of the minifig version.
    BumblepantsKungFuKennyCharmiefcb
    edited September 2019
     In fact, even though I got the actual UCS Tie, I've never especially loved it as it always just seemed like a scaled-up version of the minifig version.
    There is definitely a divide in preferences between non-minifig scale “display models” and the more minifig friendly sets.  That was one reason I appreciate #75192 so much.  It looks amazing on display but is close to minifig scale also if you feel like staging a scene or (heaven forbid) trying to swoosh the thing...  I really like #10240 (which I finally got a copy of recently) but wish it would fit a minifig pilot.  There definitely is a trade-off in the “finished/screen accurate” appearance of large scale models and the playability of the minifig scale sets... I guess my preference shades a bit towards the playability aspect since I’ve never quite grown up!
    amokYo_dA
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 593
     If anyone is thinking of when to start queuing for tomorrow’s 75252 signing...

The queue has already started.. 

I think they need to understand it isn’t the MF! 
    gmonkey76Bumblepants
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    Or best offer... I’ll offer £649.99 then
    Well, what ever rocks your boat I guess.
    I wonder if I order it now will I get 7 lunchboxes? 
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 48
    SumoLego said:
    Have Luke taking a shower and TLJ was just a dream, like Bobby Ewing. 
    You just failed the 'I'm an old-person' test.

-Puts in VHS tape of Falcon Crest-
    LOL!!

...I grew up in a Dynasty household.

I really like the new SD, and I'll make a valiant attempt at snagging one bright and early on release day.  Either way, I'm curious to gauge the curbside interest in this one.  Will I be turned away empty handed?  Or will I be the solitary Fanboy fogging up the window of my LEGO Store?  Oh, the suspense.
    SumoLego
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 302
    edited September 2019
    I’m in the Leicester Square queue at position 99. There’s around 135 in the queue right now, and there’s 200 available.

It’s telling that with 5 minutes to go until the shop opens and the sales/signing starts, the queue is nowhere near full.

Compare to the UCS Falcon launch, where they had hit the first 100 black cards at 5.30pm, and allocated the 150 sets by 6pm. 6 hours before the event started at midnight. I was 93 in that one - that was a long wait!
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsThe_RancorFireheartomnium
    Small update, a few of us are still waiting to get in, but there’s still no more than 150 people in the queue.

if you want one, I reckon you can probably turn up at any point before Henrik heads off at 4pm. No need to rush. :)
    Bumblepants
    Good thing that eBay reseller stayed camped out overnight hahaha
    The_RancorKungFuKennyFireheartgmonkey76
    edited September 2019
    Good thing that eBay reseller stayed camped out overnight hahaha
    When I read this for some reason I pictured Dr. Evil and his evil laugh...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdvUR67nZs0
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,190
    I toyed around with the idea of going to the event today because I had the time I could spend doing it, but a number of things discouraged me in the end. I’d need to pay at least £40 for the train return (even with a railcard) plus underground (don’t really want to do that for risk of getting a box battering) or a taxi (safer but more expensive). The whole idea of wheeling that massive box around London and on and off trains/taxis just puts me off.

Am I right in thinking this is the first signing event to take place on a Saturday or Sunday (for any theme at Leicester Square)? If so hopefully they do more at weekends with a smaller set that’s easier to get back with!

Still about 50 places left in the queue around an hour after the event has actually started is not a great sign!
    Am I right in thinking this is the first signing event to take place on a Saturday or Sunday (for any theme at Leicester Square)? If so hopefully they do more at weekends with a smaller set that’s easier to get back with!
    Nah, there’s been quite a few if I recall correctly. I got my Old Fishing Store and Tron Legacy sets at the signings, and pretty sure those were at weekends.
    I’m entirely wrong! Those were both on Thursdays.
    The_Rancor
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806

That UCS Imperial shuttle was really beautiful (based on pictures and video's I have seen). I don't think it had much of an interior, which was kind of a shame, if I remember correctly!?! Still it was/is a beautiful display model.
    ON a youtube channel called BrickVault are a bunch of video's showing the making of a MOC in progress of Scarif that includes a huge Zeta-class Heavy Cargo Shuttle MOC that looks really amazing! (I haven't watched any of their video's in months, but I will look up and link this one for you to watch):

I don't know much about 'Resistance', I stopped watching it after about 7 episodes. The red TIE-Interceptor (or what ever it is called) looks great. It is on my wish list (though not at the top), the one other set from that cartoon series looks just weird. At least the pictures advertising the set aren't selling it to me, and I never bothered to look for a review video that might change my opinion on it. I don't understand why TLG never made any of the other ships. Kids who love Ninjago probably would like those more colourful spaceships as long as the sets are both well-designed and teeming with play features, and also include all the heroes and villains from that TV-show too. The minifig selection in those two sets they did make, seem a bit half-baked with Poe Dameron and Leia, who are not very exiting background characters. I have no idea how popular that show is, and how many seasons are in the making etc. etc.

Yeah I know it's my MOC :-)
    flordFizyxTheBigLegoskiBaby_YodaMaffyDMAGNINOMINISUMBRACM4S
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    The potential upcoming Kylo Shuttle might as well be UCS with its size. Looks slightly bigger even than the dark grey one from TFA.
    This is UCS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/47178883551/in/album-72157667195711058/
    The_RancorAstrobricks
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    cavegod said:
    This is UCS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/47178883551/in/album-72157667195711058/
    Have those bricks been painted to give a weathered look, or is TLG shade variation worse than it was on my UCS imperial shuttle? :)