Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,073
    Jaimito said:
    Will there be a vip pre order date like the falcon? 
    Oof, let's hope not.  Unless they want to depress the initial sales.  The Black VIP card promotion went so... right on it's face.
    gmonkey76GothamConstructionCoMuftak1VorpalRyu
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,652
    edited September 2019

SumoLego said:
    Have Luke taking a shower and TLJ was just a dream, like Bobby Ewing. 
    You just failed the 'I'm an old-person' test.

-Puts in VHS tape of Falcon Crest-
    I'm fairly sure he just passed the "I'm an old person" test.

Maybe Luke's death in TLJ will turn out to be like a Moldavian massacre.

SumoLego
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,011
    UK gets shafted on price there. 

Bear in mind that in the UK, TLG want £650 for this ISD, same price as the UCS MF, yet it costs €100/$100 less than the MF for US and most of the EU. That makes it £91 too expensive at current € exchange rates.

You might say though that the pound has devalued. How much though? Since Oct 17 (when the MF came out), the pound is 5% weaker against the $ and 3% weaker against the €. 

When you put that ISD next to the MF, for the same money, the MF looks far better value.

I want that ISD, but I'm not sure where the hell I will display it (unlike the MF, this will not display well up on an angle, it needs to be flat), but I'm not prepared to pay more than £575 for it - a fair price, considering the exchange rates relative to the MF. Will have to wait until JL or Smyths stock it and offer a discount on it.

bandit778The_Rancor

I want that ISD, but I'm not sure where the hell I will display it (unlike the MF, this will not display well up on an angle, it needs to be flat), but I'm not prepared to pay more than £575 for it - a fair price, considering the exchange rates relative to the MF. Will have to wait until JL or Smyths stock it and offer a discount on it.

Remember Smyths did 20% off the MF, so you'd need 20% off the 20% off price to make it a fair comparison ... :-)

It wouldn't surprise me if Smyths do it for £520 at some stage, like they did the Falcon.

I predict that the secondary market price of LBG levers is about to drop.

bandit778omniumgmonkey76Mr_CrossFizyx
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 195
    The Falcon seems like an amazing bargain now
    FireheartYo_dA
    From the VIP email, they think it will be popular, even at this price ...

Meet the designer
    of the NEW Imperial
    Star Destroyer™
    LEGO® Store, Leicester Square
    15th September from
    12:00pm - 4:00pm
    Line up early to ensure entry, as stock is limited. First come first served.

• Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,454
    There's definitely a few parts I'm pleased to see, hopefully they will be in plentiful supply on B'n'P.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,064
    Surprised there isn't any part that opens for minifigures or nanofigures like the Super Star Destroyer or Helicarrier. Watching the design video there is lots of space and it doesn't look like it would make it any weaker so I think its a bit lazy. This also means no nanofigures and the two minifigures cant be a strong selling point.

So this means the whole set value is just the finished model which I am happy to say looks great.

But the price, it is the same price as the falcon. That was a one off set this is not, I mean you can buy both Hogwarts and Ghostbusters HQ and still have £15 left over and is this a better set than either of those?
    BrainsluggedBaby_YodaBoomstickgmonkey76
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,002

Perhaps they've seen the comments - double VIP points between 18th - 22nd:

I'm almost tempted......

The_Rancor
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 128
    edited September 2019
    Strangly enough this will be an easy buy for me lol. The most important thing,the design,is superb. The seize also helps. 
    Years ago i got the ISD with the idea that it would satisfy my desire for starwars sets for years to come. Which it did,saving me a lot of money in the end. This set will serve a similar function. Take up a years budget and some more but then i am good for the next few years.

I can not wait actually,will get it in the lego shop which soon will be opening in the netherlands (why did that take 30+ years btw?)

Better buy a few expensive and awesome sets,then buying tons of smaller sets. At least for me,the flagship sets somehow give much more satisfaction to have.
    BumblepantsFizyxdougtsLittleLori
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 543
    Already on eBay for up to $1,499 "Buy it Now".  The gullibility of people just simply amazes me to no end. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Looks lovely.  I might consider getting it if I can manage to sell my older 10030 to cut the price down a bit.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 1,991
    edited September 2019
    Renny said:
    Looks lovely.  I might consider getting it if I can manage to sell my older 10030 to cut the price down a bit.
    I would sell it quickly-- several sold for 1000 - 1500 (with box, etc) in the last few days on eBay but that may change once wind of the new version gets out.  There are some completionists who will want both but I suspect demand will go down for #10030 over the next few months.  #10179 is getting 500-800 for complete sets currently but went for much more before #75192 came out.
    dougtsFollowsCloselyRenny
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 392
    edited September 2019
    I'll wait for the next minifig version, with a great interior like the First Order Star Destroyer. With Imperial Star Destroyers appearing in IX, I doubt the next playset is too far away.
    VorpalRyu
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 929

Bear in mind that in the UK, TLG want £650 for this ISD, same price as the UCS MF, yet it costs €100/$100 less than the MF for US and most of the EU. That makes it £91 too expensive at current € exchange rates.

You might say though that the pound has devalued. How much though? Since Oct 17 (when the MF came out), the pound is 5% weaker against the $ and 3% weaker against the €. 

When you put that ISD next to the MF, for the same money, the MF looks far better value.

Keep in mind that a set like this is designed to remain on the market at a more or less fixed price for many years. So Lego's pricing may not just be based on how much the pound has already devalued, but how much more it's likely to (given the continued instability caused by the Brexit referendum, and its likelihood to increase if and when it actually takes effect)—not to mention the potential increase in the cost to import the set itself from mainland Europe.

It's sad, and more than a bit unfair to UK FOLs who aren't individually responsible for their awful economic and political quagmire, but I certainly wouldn't blame Lego for hedging their bets on a set this big so that they won't have to jack the price up within the next few years. Incidentally, that may be why the MF comes across as such a better value—despite the devaluation you mention only a few years back, Lego has resisted revaluing the set to compensate.
  • ChromideChromide Ssi-ruuvi ImperiumMember Posts: 62
    edited September 2019
    daewoo said:
    Already on eBay for up to $1,499 "Buy it Now".  The gullibility of people just simply amazes me to no end. 
    LOL, just looked at that listing, the description says this:

''Hello and thank you for looking at my listing!

The new 2019 UCS STAR WARS Imperial Star Destroyer is to be released next month!! PRE-ORDER yours here to save time and money! ''

Save time and money?!
    Pyrobuggmonkey76Bumblepants
    edited September 2019
    ^ Yes, it saves him time and money - he doesn't need to waste time earning money to buy one himself.

Genius!
    KungFuKennyBaby_YodaPyrobugChromideLittleLori
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,863
    edited September 2019
    And I didn’t mention earlier but I think TLG’s design is fantastic and more or less on par with MOCs from an exterior perspective (I don’t care about exposed studs, it’s Lego after all!). I haven’t actually bought very much new Lego at all since a couple of the Star Wars anniversary releases in April and the smallest Hidden Side set, because I knew something like this was coming. So with some VIP value knocked off the £650 and double VIP points for the future I think I could squeeze it in. At this point I barely care about holding on to my VIP points in case there’s a new tote bag.
    560HeliportPyrobugBumblepants
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,456
    I'm really liking #75257, the new Millennium Falcon. The mandibles look much more accurate, and the angle of the cockpit looks better too: it seems to be at about the 2 o'clock position, rather than 1:30 as on previous versions. And , of course, the more solid roof. Anyone know the U.S. RRP?
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    Price in the Netherlands at Lego [email protected]
    #75192   UFS Millennium Falcon            €849,--    pieces 7541
    #75252   UFS Imperial Star Destroyer     €699,99   pieces 4784
    I agree with others that 'price per piece count' is inadequate measure to indicate and determine whether something is (too) expensive or cheap.
    The new ISD looks impressive. The UCS model on display stand measures over 17” (44cm) high, 43” (110cm) long and 26” (66cm) wide, and over 14” (37cm) high without stand. IMO the hull should have been much more tiled up, there are way too many studs visible. Too bad it only comes with two minifigures, and has no interior. I really liked that about the UCS Super Star Destroyer from a decade or so ago, which also included some bounty hunter minifigs and Darth Vader. Still, this ISD is an impressive display model, but that is mostly due to its size.
    If I were to buy one of the two UCS sets, I would go for the even more expensive but also much more detailed model and ultimately superior MF set.
    Though I suppose, if you have the money to spend, the time to build these huge sets, as well as enough space to display them, just buy them both.

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,936
    I feel like this is missing something to make it a must buy. The figures are fine, and at least people wont talk about how exclusive figs are in expensive sets. But I cannot help but feel that this is overpriced in all areas. I think if this either was more on the MF side, with a few interiors. Or heck just a meditation chamber for Vader then I would buy it day one. But I am happy to wait for a sale to get this. Plus With Brexit around the corner as well then it is not clear what the hell will happen in the next 6 months to a year I can wait to buy this.   
    FollowsCloselyMr_Cross
    Lyichir said:

Keep in mind that a set like this is designed to remain on the market at a more or less fixed price for many years. So Lego's pricing may not just be based on how much the pound has already devalued, but how much more it's likely to (given the continued instability caused by the Brexit referendum, and its likelihood to increase if and when it actually takes effect)—not to mention the potential increase in the cost to import the set itself from mainland Europe.

It's sad, and more than a bit unfair to UK FOLs who aren't individually responsible for their awful economic and political quagmire, but I certainly wouldn't blame Lego for hedging their bets on a set this big so that they won't have to jack the price up within the next few years. Incidentally, that may be why the MF comes across as such a better value—despite the devaluation you mention only a few years back, Lego has resisted revaluing the set to compensate.
    The Pound has been as low as it is now since Brexit was announced in 2016, a full year before the UCS was out, and TLG group priced that accordingly.

The low pound isn't just about Brexit. We've had record a low interest rate for 10 years now - that influences exchange rates a lot. When the recession started in the US and the government slashed interest rates, the dollar tanked - I went in holiday to the US then and got almost 2 dollars to the pound when UK interest rates were around 4.5%.

We're being fleeced with a non representative exchange rate, and given the lack of interior and other lazy building like using MF cockpit cones for engines rather than ribbed brick built cylinders, I think this will be a pass for many at RRP.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
    I’m guessing that a positive on the interior being just a technic structure is that there is no need for the dreaded sticker sheet! And I didn’t see any stickers on the outer structure... so could this be the first set UCS set in a long time to not have a single sticker! (Excluding the UCS plaque sticker of course) 
    Lyichir said:

LEGO has the ability to change RRPs during the life of a long shelf-life product. It may not be very pleasing to buyers, but they have that option. If LEGO want to guess what is going to happen over the coming years and set a fixed price according to that, then fine but customers see through it. If they price sets too high, then they will simply not sell in volume, and discounts will be needed if they want to sell their products.
    FollowsClosely
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,977
    @stlux - thank you for linking those images! It really helps get a handle on the overall size and scale of these models, and comparing to the Falcon and SSD is helpful too.

Looks like I was about right with my estimate of 10% bigger in overall size I made earlier. One thing I didn't notice was how much longer the superstructure is in the new model - it extends outs to over halfway along the ship's upper surface, whereas in the old model it just about reaches 2/5ths of the length. Interesting.

I've had a look online, but quickly fell down a rabbit hole of 'everything contradicts each other, and the science isn't right anyway' which swallowed up 40 minutes of my life - the nicest looking diagram is this one:

But apparently it doesn't even have the same angles as the model which appears in the films, so who knows if the rest of it is accurate.

What looks like an actual image from the film is this:

Which seems to agree on the tower dimensions. But does it really matter? Probably not.

Alternate POV and images welcome!
    FizyxKungFuKenny
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,977
    Wait, hang on - I might have linked the 'wrong' class of SD there. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but if my post history has taught me anything, it's that betting I'm wrong is a safer bet!

This paragraph made more sense in my head.
    560HeliportFizyx
  • jedijason1138jedijason1138 Member Posts: 178
    That size comparison chart between #10030 and #75252 is very helpful. I still am priced out of this, but I have enough grey plates and technic beams to upgrade my existing UCS Star Destroyer. I really do want to see what building techniques they used for the underlying structure.
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 195
    Set doesn't seem to have any dreded stickers? Take my money! 
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 929
    CCC said:
    Lyichir said:

LEGO has the ability to change RRPs during the life of a long shelf-life product. It may not be very pleasing to buyers, but they have that option. If LEGO want to guess what is going to happen over the coming years and set a fixed price according to that, then fine but customers see through it. If they price sets too high, then they will simply not sell in volume, and discounts will be needed if they want to sell their products.
    My point is that the optics of adjusting the price DOWNWARD with discounts are a heck of a lot better than adjusting the price UPWARD as currency fluctuates. As such, I expect that Lego would rather start high and go lower over time than start with too low a price and have to make the more or less unprecedented move of raising a set's price in the middle of its planned lifespan.
    Fizyx
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 386
    ^That does actually make sense. At this point I would like to come in with a witty and intelligent remark about Brexit, politics and the economy, but it's such a mess I could cry. Where's some toy I can play with until I forget I'm meant to be an adult?
    omniumAddicted2Oxygen
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,540
    edited September 2019
    it's not an unprecedented move, I remember a bunch of D2C increasing by 20€

and wow, that ISD seems huge. I always imagined the SSD was the biggest. and it only weight 3.5kg. I expected like double that
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 392
    Anyone think we might see a set of the interior of the Super Star Destroyer bridge from Empire at some point? In the vein of Hoth Medical Chamber and other recent location based sets.
    LordmoralCharmiefcbVorpalRyuBrickByBrick
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 774
    I saw the reveal of the UCS ISD and I was left disappointed that Vader or the ship captain isn't included.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,316
    J0rgen said:
    Anyone think we might see a set of the interior of the Super Star Destroyer bridge from Empire at some point? In the vein of Hoth Medical Chamber and other recent location based sets.
    Well, TLG have released all of the Bounty Hunters from that scene on the Bridge in ESB in minifigure form now, so there's that issue out of the way. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a new SSD, with a nano scale Bridge interior & nanofigs of all the Bounty Hunters, Vader & some of the Bridge crew.
    Lordmoral
    There won't be a new SSD in UCS form in the near future, the old one hasn't been gone that long in UCS terms (2013?).
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,316
    There won't be a new SSD in UCS form in the near future, the old one hasn't been gone that long in UCS terms (2013?).
    Remember how it was said that TLG would never do another UCS MF, or re-release a set like the Death Star for at least ten years after the current one retires... Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore.
    gmonkey76SumoLegoBaby_Yodaomnium
    VorpalRyu said:
    Remember how it was said that TLG would never do another UCS MF, or re-release a set like the Death Star for at least ten years after the current one retires... Something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore.
    The SSD is nowhere near as iconic as the MF to be begging for a redo so soon and I doubt the SSD would be released within the shelf life of the ISD anyway, so at least 2021 before a redo. What would we get in the meantime?

Unless a UCS AT-AT materialises, I think we're continuing through the cycle of redos. If we avoid the busts and don't dip into PT or ST territory, I'd expect Vader's Tie Advanced to be next, or perhaps a Tie Interceptor.
    Mr_Cross
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
    I think they need to go into new territory in terms of Star Wars and what currently exists in the various movies that they haven’t touched as yet.

Recently I picked up the Four Sages Of Dwartii statues from Galaxys Edge, these would make amazing additions to the UCS collection. Nice detailed LEGO models of the statues. And would go well in a Star Wars diorama, or as stand alone statues in a LEGO display.

FizyxBaby_YodaLordmoral
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,002

Unless a UCS AT-AT materialises, I think we're continuing through the cycle of redos. If we avoid the busts and don't dip into PT or ST territory, I'd expect Vader's Tie Advanced to be next, or perhaps a Tie Interceptor.
    I'm surprised they haven't made a TIE Bomber; it's an interesting variant and had sufficient screen-time in Empire to make it instantly recognisable to casual buyers.
    PyrobugBumblepantsbandit778stluxMr_CrossFizyxBaby_YodaMrGudzLordmoral
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 700
    I'm hoping they start doing UCS sets based on the Disney Star Wars movies, some stuff from the sequel trilogy could be cool but I'm especially hoping for a UCS Rogue One... I try to avoid purchasing UCS SW sets for money reasons but that could tempt me....
    Fizyx
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 821
    There's an obvious choice for UCS that hasn't happened yet: Landspeeder. We badly need a UCS landspeeder.

If "wish-listing" isn't allowed or strongly frowned upon, I'll delete the rest of this post:

On a more serious note, I expect an MBS next year. There are several possibilities, but they're all on the edge of what might be a successful product. Jabba's Palace and Sail Barge; Naboo Palace w/ hangar and a smallish Naboo starfighter; Gungan City (would require too many new mini-figures, I'm afraid; Wookie Village; Endor/Ewok Village (although done more recently, it's a pretty iconic and popular scene); Mos Eisley with a midi-scale MF; Pod Race with multiple racers and a garage or grandstand (or maybe just a UCS with multiple podracers.

For UCS ships: AT-AT is an obvious gap; I would personally love a UCS X-Wing, A-Wing or B-Wing. I have none of those. TIE Bomber or Vader's TIE. Ghost. Some sort of Mon-Calamari ship. PT era capital ship (e.g. Venator class, which would be good next spring with the Clone Wars final season running). Nebulon B frigate. Nubian starship. Gungan Sub (if done well, that could be quite a stunning display piece). R2-D2.

IMO, they're far more likely to do a repeat ship than one of the new ones I've listed.
    KungFuKennyMynattMaffyD
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 1,991
    My favorite PT ship was the Republic Gunship— really would like to see that in UCS form
    autolycus560Heliportdmcc0GothamConstructionCoflord
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    I hope that new TV-series The Mandalorian will be good otherwise SW is doomed IMO.

Without engaging in a lengthy rant: I hate the sequel trilogy, they are just absolutely terrible films. However I have bought some sets in the past from the TFA, and a couple heavily discounted sets from TLJ, but only because I liked the lego set itself. Just like I ordered two Overwatch sets online at a nice discount because I like the Mechs and minifigs, even though I have never played the game, and am not familiar with that fictional universe. I don't have much interest in the final SW film from the sequel trilogy which will premiere at the end of this year, and don't care much for the sets TLG will release either. If there happens to be some Lego set amongst them that will stand out because it is excellent in terms of design and visual appeal etc. I might be interested, but then that is purely as a Lego fan.

Except for Rogue One, and the SW Rebels cartoon series, all Disney has done is tarnish SW, in the same way Disney IMO have been and are busy ruining the cinematic Marvel universe.

New SW Lego sets I could potentially be interested in are the ones TLG will release based on that new TV-series the Mandalorian (the teaser looked promising), the original and prequel trilogy. I would also love to see more Rogue One sets.
    Rogue One was a great new addition to the cinematic SW universe! Solo was another poorly made Disney SW film, yet all the Lego sets from that film were quite lovely, and I am sure TLG could make a few more good sets based on that film. I am very ambivalent about that film, as I loved certain things about it but absolutely loathed other aspects, yet somehow I am still highly interested in seeing a Maul and Qi'ra centred crime syndicate sequel film since Solo ended on a cliffhanger and was an introduction to a new story. A Mimban based mudtrooper Lego set with a walker (that e.g. can be attached to the Imperial AT Hauler), as well as a Lego set with Dryden Vos in it, could be wonderful new Solo SW Lego sets. Of course, that is if the sets are well-designed, and these sets come with a good assortment of minifigs of new (not yet in Lego form made) characters. After all, who does not love all the weird alien creatures from SW?! If the sets contain more generic yet somehow a little different and thus unique Imperial troops, more minifigs based on extras from scenes in the background, instead of the ever endless supply of the same Chewbacca minifig and the few other main protagonists, the SW Lego sets might have more appeal as well.

I think it is time TLG does a Star Wars CMF series!
    Brainsluggedgmonkey76
    edited September 2019

I think it is time TLG does a Star Wars CMF series!
    I would love this also but not sure if Lego is still bound by the ”construction toys” license they had to live by in years past (for more history on Hasbro’s issue with Lego releasing individual minifigs see https://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/LEGO_Is_A_Star_Wars_CMF_Wave_Coming_182836.asp ).

Remember how it was said that TLG would never do another UCS MF...
    TLG will never release another UCS MF.
    VorpalRyu
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 821
    SumoLego said:
    Remember how it was said that TLG would never do another UCS MF...
    TLG will never release another UCS MF.
    FOMO triggered!!!
    SumoLegobpk2300VorpalRyu