Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 85
    Lego: Produces sets of the ships found within the movie they are making sets for.

This forum:
     *surprised_pikachu.png*
    Oh yeah?! How do you explain this??
    Brainslugged
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 610
    edited August 22
    bpk2300 said:
    Lego: Produces sets of the ships found within the movie they are making sets for.

This forum:
     *surprised_pikachu.png*
    Maybe it was from a deleted scene like the one #75100 came from.  
    gmonkey76
    edited August 22

This forum:
     *surprised_pikachu.png*
    I know, but it wouldn't be a proper Star Wars forum if there wasn't a good proportion of grumpy OT diehards :-) ... it has been said before, but that's the beauty of Lego-- I need to remind myself to quit whining and just MOC the sets I want myself! 
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,266
    Grumpy, old, but I also liked the PT films, yeah, it wasn't the OT, but at least it was still the SW universe as set down by its creator.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76blakusdkChromideTheBigLegoski
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,478
    bpk2300 said:

This forum:
     *surprised_pikachu.png*
    Early preproduction art that got cut from the film. It takes time to make a LEGO Set, and they can only go off of what Disney gives them, and wants them to make.
    KungFuKennystluxFizyxmontyh7
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,208
    There is something funny about the crop of sets including an AT-ST, A-Wing, Y-Wing, Falcon, and a Kylo Shuttle.  

I find the lack of X-Wing disturbing.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76VorpalRyuJMasterToc13Baby_YodaMynatt
    I was being facetious :o)
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 159
    Rehash or not I want a few of them. Death Star Gun, AT-ST, Falcon, A-Wing, Y-Wing and Kylo Rens Shuttle. I might get that speeder/skiff thing if I see it in a toy store and I'm not buying anything else. Who wants to bet X-Wings and TIE Fighters will be in episode 9's second wave.
    As someone who won't see Episode 9 until it's on discount on video I like the look of these sets as a Lego fan. I love the look of them. I love the new colour schemes on the Y-Wing and AT-ST. I'm more excited for the Lego sets than I am for the movie.
    560Heliport
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 767
    While there are definitely some rehashes (like a Lego Star Wars' "greatest hits"), I too like the look and color scheme of them. The Y-Wing and A-Wing in particular stand out. I don't care about the Falcon much other than noting they fixed the unsightly gaps on top. And Kylo's shuttle still isn't that interesting, but at least it's movie accurate. As usual, I'll wait for some discount but will end up grabbing most/all of them.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,846
    Kaitch said:
    @Lego_Lord_Mayorca I might buy your old one, depending on the price...
    If Lego Lord can't sort you out, I have a new and unopened example we might be able to come to an arrangement with.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 526
    edited August 23
    Kaitch said:
    @Lego_Lord_Mayorca I might buy your old one, depending on the price...
    @Kaitch I just may able to sell it to you if you are patient. I will wait to see a review of the new shuttle to see if it is indeed worth the upgrade and sell-off of the old one.
    @monkeyhanger will be able to help you out otherwise, I'm sure!
    Also, further observations of the new sets:
    • The AT-ST is just a re-color of the one from #75153. No one is mentioning that rehash in the midst of, "WOW! Mandalorian and new character minifigures!"
    • The Y-wing may be a rehash, but it is done in the worst way. The "new" version indicates that for Episode 9, J.J. Abrams was just like, "I want the Y-wing back, but even dumpier than before. But it's an upgrade of that tech! New colors! Change a few shapes here and there on the engines and voila! It's the new-radar-dish-on-the-Falcon all over again!" In my opinion, the better route to go for was a new bomber/starfighter that is an evolution of the Clone Wars-era design, back when the ship design was new (in-universe). The Rebel Alliance was able to scrounge up the Y-wings since they were military surplus the Empire didn't need anymore thanks to the TIE fleet. And so, the old Y-wings were stripped down to make for easier repair and maintenance over the decades. With the New Republic, Y-wing development should have restarted, and a new iteration of the original design should have come to the fore, ones that would've been adopted by the Resistance. But I guess no one thought that one out...
    • People who missed out on the original UCS Yoda statue are definitely going through the "denial" stage on the five stages of "The Remake Wasn't What I Expected!" grief.

KungFuKennyJMasterbgl_84
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 696
    I'm ok with the new wave being mostly rehashes. That means I don't need to buy them.

The new MF intrigues me though because of the new design. The side and roof gaps are gone. I was going to keep my unopened Force Awakens MF, but I think I'd rather sell it and get the new one.
    KungFuKennyMCNwakeboardChromideblakusdk
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,791
    VorpalRyu said:
    Grumpy, old, but I also liked the PT films, yeah, it wasn't the OT, but at least it was still the SW universe as set down by its creator.
    No, no, no, no, no you cant be a real Star Wars fan unless you only like the orginal theatrical release of Star Wars and the expanded universe novels 😂
    KungFuKenny
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,952
    I'm excited for the new D+ obiwan show. Not sure if it will translate to much in the Legoverse but it seems like a fantastic concept for a show.
    KungFuKennyBaby_YodaMr_Crosspxchris
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 660
    I'm excited for the new D+ obiwan show. Not sure if it will translate to much in the Legoverse but it seems like a fantastic concept for a show.
    If it's anything like this old Sideshow statue, I'm way into it. Could get a good set or two, depending on what it ends up being.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,266
    VorpalRyu said:
    No, no, no, no, no you cant be a real Star Wars fan unless you only like the orginal theatrical release of Star Wars and the expanded universe novels 😂
    Biggest mistake Disney made was declaring the Expanded Universe non-canon, they had a ready made trilogy for Han, just turn the Han Solo Trilogy into screenplays, Lando wasn't some weirdo wanting to get jiggy with a droid, Han was actually streetwise instead of Corellia's version of young Luke & the story of how Han got the life-debt from Chewie wasn't so pathetic.
    CharmiefcbBrainsluggedChromideTheBigLegoski
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 805
    VorpalRyu said:
    VorpalRyu said:
    Biggest mistake Disney made was declaring the Expanded Universe non-canon, they had a ready made trilogy for Han, just turn the Han Solo Trilogy into screenplays, Lando wasn't some weirdo wanting to get jiggy with a droid, Han was actually streetwise instead of Corellia's version of young Luke & the story of how Han got the life-debt from Chewie wasn't so pathetic.
    To be fair, there was just as much from the expanded universe that was absolutely ridiculously nuts as there was good.  I do agree that they likely would have been better off at least trying to keep parts of it, but it also really would have been a LOT of work to sift through the whole expanded universe and make declarations about what was and wasn't canon.   They should have done the work, imo... but there definitely would have been a non-negligible cost associated.
    Redbullgivesuwind560Heliport
    I'm not sure there was (is) an appetite for a Solo Trilogy.  Given that they did just about all of the references from the OT in the film, they painted themselves into a corner anyway.

I'd rather see new adventures with new characters anyway.  (With the exception of a Thrawn Trilogy, which they could very easily adjust into a further-off future in the SW Saga timeline.)

I'm also fairly sure Disney (Lucasfilm) would rather own all of the IP rights to all future movies, so using previous material would force them to share the SW pie with others not within their current sphere of collaborators.
    BumblepantsKungFuKennyFizyx
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 863
    Everyone of a certain generation of fans bemoans the loss of the EU. Nostalgically I get it. For many of us there was a dark age after we grew out of our Kenner action figures and before the prequels hit, where the EU was all we had to slake our thirst. And there was much to love: the Thrawn trilogy was revelatory, Dark Empire expanded our imagination, and the West End Games RPG allowed us to carve out our own chapters in whatever corner of the universe spoke most to us. The EU requested — indeed, demanded — that we participate in that expansion.  No wonder it was so personal to “lose” it. 

However, much like in the various superhero comics, the weight of continuity eventually overshadows the thrills of a shared universe. (And from my perspective, by the time Disney cruised in, the EU was pretty weighty.). I don’t fault the wiping it away, particularly since it has yielded phenomenal results on round 2.0 (I for one love the ST, have enjoyed much of the Marvel comics offerings, and adored Rebels).  And of course nothing precluded Disney from pulling in beloved characters that worked - Thrawn, Ashoka and Clone Wars, etc. For me, it works. 

KungFuKennyBumblepantsFizyxmontyh7Redbullgivesuwindjnscoelho
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,791

I agree they could have incorperated more from that novel series as it is one of the better ones. There is also a lot of crap as well. And as it was stated above to sift through and decide what to keep and what not to would have been a lot of work. It is also really restrictive on story telling. One of the better elements in the new disney films is that it isnt all about the Skywalkers and what they are doing. There is a chance to make the universe much larger than the Star Wars Kardashians. But it would be hard to do if they kept a lot of the expanded universe as Luke, Han and Leia are the main focus. I like the expanded universe so just treated as a seperate universe similar to Marvel.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 815
    edited August 25
    So there was a Mandalorian trailer at the D23 expo this weekend (not a leak), ending in someone about to get sliced by a closing door and very minimal dialogue. Sleek. Some Death troopers also feature.

Turns out potentially the AT-ST from the Lego range appeared for a split second with some classic sound effects. 

Still annoyed I can't legitimately watch the Mandalorian until some undisclosed time in 2020, but at least there's Ep IX and Fallen Order in the meantime (and the Marvel stuff for Disney + doesn't release straight away, fortunately)
    CM4SKungFuKennywardm
    edited August 25
    I saw the trailer today also... looks good!  Took a few blurry screenshots.  I’m liking the Assassin droid - looks like IG-88 I think...

Hopefully we can get a minifigure of this Twi’lek

This looks similar to #7930... maybe due for a redo (though I don’t think that sold very well as I recall).

Last but not least I wouldn’t mind seeing this speeder bike in Lego form...

I’m going to get the AT-ST Raider we have already seen, but hopefully we will see some more sets from the show...
    Baby_YodaFowlerBricks
    edited August 26
    Turns out the droid that looks like IG-88 is actually IG-11 and the best part is - even in the story the droid is mistaken for IG-88!
    blakusdkKungFuKennyFizyxBaby_YodaLittleLoriChromidemontyh7FowlerBricks
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 767
    edited August 26
    ^With that being the case and him being voiced by Taika Waititi, I can only imagine the result being utterly hilarious. I'm so excited for this show.
    montyh7
    edited August 26
    ^With that being the case and him being voiced by Taika Waititi, I can only imagine the result being utterly hilarious. I'm so excited for this show.
    Wait, Korg is going to be a bounty hunter now?  He seemed too nice to be freezing people in carbonite... :-)
    The recent Rise of Skywalker trailer shows B-Wings. Wouldn’t mind a LEGO refresh of it especially since I don’t have one!
    autolycus
    Yep, B-Wings make a showing, as does another Blockade Runner - wow those have been going a while! (Although we are still talking about a time period of less than 100 years in the full Skywalker Saga, so I guess you could say technology hasn’t had chance to advance that much). It’s the vision/misleading shot of Rey as a Dark Side user that has people really talking - but compared by quit a a few people to the early promo shots of Finn holding the lightsaber for TFA - when he was never going to be a Jedi.
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 134
    The fleet of ISD’s seem to be A New Hope era. That’s interesting, for sure. And fits very nicely with the expected UCS set coming out soon.
    bpk2300 said:
    The recent Rise of Skywalker trailer shows B-Wings. Wouldn’t mind a LEGO refresh of it especially since I don’t have one!
    Despite this being my favorite starfighter, please pardon my lack of enthusiasm for another B-Wing...

I'd actually like to see a B-Wing in a SW movie for more than three seconds.  I find the lack of B-Wings in the recent installments... disturbing.

(And I still don't get the physics of the stupid Resistance Bombers... why so slow, and it's space - there's no gravity!)
    omniumbpk2300monkeyhanger
    ^I think on the Resistance Bomber point, there was some kind of intonation that the bombs were in some way guided or magnetic, but still it's a bit of a stretch
    SumoLego
    Snail-pace resistance bombers and those clunky bombs themselves that couldn't have looked more crude if they had a lit and fizzing fuse on each one (a la Dangermouse).
    BrainsluggedSumoLegoPyrobug
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 928
    Not to mention flying those bombers so close together that they blow each other up! Still one of my favorite ships, though.
    SumoLegomontyh7
    I got the idea that they went with the bombers, they are inspired by WW2 bombers in homage to the fighter battles that inspired George Lucas. However, in space they leave a lot of questions to be answered. Like why are they made of paper? How do falling bombs in space work with out any force or propulsion, why doesnt poe know the bombers are horribly out matched?
    SumoLegoGothamConstructionCo
  • prettybigguyprettybigguy Bellevue, WA USAMember Posts: 20
    Anyone every think that those bombers would have come in handy versus Starkiller base!
    Starkiller Base was protected by a planetary shield, which stopped anything slower than light... so Han came out of hyperspace inside the shield.
    SumoLego
    Starkiller Base was protected by a planetary shield, which stopped anything slower than light... so Han came out of hyperspace inside the shield.
    My theory is that the bombers were moving so slowly so as to not appear to be moving at all and therefore no threat and to be ignored. Like standing still in front of a T-Rex in Jurassic Park " it can't see you if you don't move".
    SumoLegodmcc0
    ...if they had a lit and fizzing fuse on each one (a la Dangermouse).
    Penfold Bombers!
    autolycus said:
    How do they stop once they’ve started moving?
    They put the engines in reverse.  Duh.

(I agree - all of the SW space-physics make no sense and are oftentimes mutually inconsistent.  I remember showing part of the trench run as an example of the doppler effect - only to have the Physics teacher flatly respond: "There's no sound in space, it's a vacuum.")

(All of the actual physics go out the door in popcorn movies - most audiences don't respond well to the vacuum of space and lack of sounds from explosions, screams, gaseous emanations, lasers, photon bombs, splats, whammos and speed sounds.)
    560Heliportstluxmontyh7
    Autolycus: the bombers are one of many things I didn't like about TLJ, I just thought the film was by far the worst SW film made. It was just so disconnected from TFA and seemed to go out of it's way to sever all continuation (cheaply kill off Snoke and Phasma), goofy humour, "godspeed" etc. It just did not have a Star Wars vibe about it at all. Even Mark Hamill seemed embarrassed to be in it. 

I'm hoping that JJ Abrams treats Ep9 as if it is a continuation of 7 and acknowledges Ep8 as least as he can get away with.

The only SW film I haven't got on Bluray, nor have given a repeat viewing since me and the rest of the cinema audience left with a WTF look on our faces.

I care more about entertainment that being technically accurate, and I was not entertained.
    560HeliportKungFuKennybpk2300dougtsChromide
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,983
    autolycus said:
    Are we really questioning the bombers in TLJ without questioning all of Lucas’ own ship designs? 
    Never questioned any of it (apart from Leia's space walk, that was just weird), it was the first film I ever saw, blew me away and I've never grown up (still play with Lego to prove it) so still love it. 
    The only questions I've ever asked is 'why can't I have one of those' (looking at you Falcon and Lightsaber). 
    I can honestly say, when I watched the trailer for Rise of Skywalker I actually felt sad that the saga I've grown up with is coming to an end.
    I know there will be other stuff involving other characters which I will probably enjoy but it won't be quite the same.

KungFuKennyBumblepantsautolycus
    I've questioned a lot of it... but enjoyed it anyway!
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenman
    edited August 27
    A quick look at my DK cross section book says that the Resistance Bomber did indeed use sequenced magnetic plates to propel the bombs directly downwards, with a seal that allows the grenades out but keeps the atmosphere in (like many orbital ship shields). The bombers also weren’t at Starkiller Base because they were ‘on a mercy mission to Atterra’ and therefore weren’t available at the time. The analysis even admits that although the bombers are capable at defending themselves from a dogfight at the rear with the ball turrets, the positioning of the turrets makes them more susceptible to a full frontal attack. Even if you ignore all of this the fact that the bombers were so weak appears quite deliberate to show Poe’s tactical thinking was not on point.

In Star Wars, there’s usually an explanation for something, and if you thought you knew differently from Legends Disney will create a new one. No amount of canon-science can explain a lot of what Luke does in The Last Jedi though...
    560Heliportgmonkey76
    autolycus said:
    Are we really questioning the bombers in TLJ without questioning all of Lucas’ own ship designs? ISD’s have all their engines on one side. How do they stop once they’ve started moving? This is space, after all. There’s no drag from an atmosphere. And why do the fighters also all fly like they’re planes flying in an atmosphere with drag and lift?

I really want to post the Insane Clown Possey "Magnets how do they work?" meme.
    edited August 28
    From the magnet bombs, we can assume that ISDs are made out of steel or some other ferrous material and not Aluminium - Imperial cheapskates.

Would the magnets in the ISD / FOSD structure repel or attract the bombs? Or is that just #10030 which has magnets? :P
    Fireheart
    From the magnet bombs, we can assume that ISDs are made out of steel or some other ferrous material and not Aluminium - Imperial cheapskates.

Would the magnets in the ISD / FOSD structure repel or attract the bombs? Or is that just #10030 which has magnets? :P
    Does that mean the bombers are made of a non magnetic material otherwise the bombs would just stick to the side of the bomber. The bombs would have to be as well or the would just get stuck together as well. 
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 765
    ^The bombs are propelled with magnets,  doesn't mean they are necessarily magnets themselves.

Maybe an electromagnet in the bomb that gets powered by the bomber.  Reversing the polarity releases/propels the bomb out of the hatch.  The lack of contact with the bomber then means there's no power to the electromagnet/no magnet and it travels through space til it hits something.  Having a separate remote power source on the bomb, you could turn it into a magnetic bomb if needed.

I'm maybe thinking about this a little too much.....

560HeliportAddicted2Oxygen
    ^That would work and if you assume that the object is you are bombing is generating enough of its own gravity to pull any bombs towards it then the two actions would allow the bombs to fall in the way they did. Or really mess up some passing vehicles day if you miss and the bombs keep falling. 

The downside of turning it into a magnetic bomb if needed is that the bomb would still be attracted to any object passing close enough to be made from that material. 
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,280
    edited August 28
    Bombs are propelled from within the Resistance Bomber on magnetic rails, as @dmcc0 describes, before being magnetically attracted to their target. That perhaps begs the question why the Resistance could not launch the bombs like missiles from further away but that, in turn, might lead us to ask why all Star Wars weapons do not have infinite range when deployed in space. I could envisage a laser blast gradually dissipating energy but any physical projectiles should travel indefinitely until they contact another object or force.

Personally, I prefer to consider about two or three questions deep before finally attributing anything strange to: 'That's simply how it works in the Star Wars universe!'

Every film in the series is similarly guilty of questionable logic in my opinion, although there are certainly some notable examples in The Last Jedi.
    dmcc0560HeliportBaby_Yodablakusdk