Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AFOL Designer Program

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,035
    CCC said:
    Some buyers have been filing Non-Shipping Seller reports against BL!

hahaha!
  • PisceanPetPisceanPet UKMember Posts: 29
    CCC said:
    There are reports of having to wait 3-4 weeks for replies from BL staff on the bricklink forum, as the staff are too busy packaging these sets to reply. And when you get a reply it is to wait, as shipping information doesn't get updated very often and may be incorrect. Some buyers have been filing Non-Shipping Seller reports against BL!

I can understand why given my level of frustration! If you are going to offer a worldwide shipping service you really need to use a service that tracks properly and states an approximate delivery time. Is it lost or is it just taking a month longer to get here than other people's orders? 
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 254
    Getting properly annoyed by this purchase now. Still no update on the FedEx site so as far as I know it has not arrived in the UK, and three emails to BrinkLink have gone unanswered. Not happy.
    Although yours has yet to be marked as in country. I found once the Fedex site said arrived in destination country it never updated from there. It’s then under the control of Royal Mail or parcel force. 
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 578
    CCC said:

Some buyers have been filing Non-Shipping Seller reports against BL!

Wow! That is ironic on such a level that it almost hurts the brain!
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 367
    Methinks BL broke off more than they could chew.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,427
    Zusammengebaut has published an article to indicate there's a lot of customs issues with the packages (amongst others because they don't have CE marking). Also (I can attest to this first hand) customs are very much on edge when they see anything resembling Lego but it's not a TLG package, as that MUST be fake import...
    560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,141
    edited June 2019
    sid3windr said:
    Zusammengebaut has published an article to indicate there's a lot of customs issues with the packages (amongst others because they don't have CE marking). Also (I can attest to this first hand) customs are very much on edge when they see anything resembling Lego but it's not a TLG package, as that MUST be fake import...
    Yes, especially as customs in Germany seems to be enforcing the CE mark rules - no mark to show the toy is tested to European toy standards, then no entry. And BL sets have not been tested.

It also seems to have happened to a number of sellers sending parts to Germany,
    sid3windr
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 507
    My Saloon is still on back order...
    The BL sets are made with Lego parts that have been tested.  Only a bureaucrat would hide behind that kind of nonsense.
    pharmjod
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,272
    There's no Lego logo anywhere on the box. Looking at it the box I already received, it's basically just a collection of plastic pieces that could be manufactured by anybody.

You import something to the EU? You make sure it has a CE logo, and ensure there's no doubt it might be counterfeit. This is solely BL's mess.

In addition to the other messes BL is creating here by
    • long lead times for sets to ship
    • using a crappy shipping method that is slow and cannot be reliable tracked (still waiting for a set supposedly shipped on June 03)
    • outright lying on the customs declaration form 
    Not impressed. Amateur hour all around.

Did they exclude PayPal from paying for the pre-orders, so people could now not easily claim they money back through PP?
    sid3windrBumblepants
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 767
    edited June 2019
    Given that TLG was involved with this you'd think someone in Legal would've picked up on this requirement.

Everything I've read online implies importing for sale in the EU requires CE marking, couldn't see anything relating specifically to importing for personal use.  Technically these were bought in the US and shipped to the EU, so is CE marking even applicable in this case?  Does allowing EU based customers to buy your goods online constitute selling in the EU?  

Out of interest, anyone have any issues importing from Non EU countries exclusive sets such as the Chinese Dragon sets or SDCC exclusives etc? Presumably they don't have CE marking on them?

What about sets that pre-date CE marking, I wonder how they are handled; classed as collectibles maybe?  I've now got visions of someone's sealed classic space set that they'd just bought from ebay being destroyed by customs because they thought it was a fake.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 978
    ^ (shudder) Thanks for that image!
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,272
    edited June 2019
    It's always good fun to read the Official Journal of The European Union :) Some relevant excerpts: 

Products offered for sale online by sellers based outside the EU are considered to be placed on the Union market if sales are specifically targeted at EU consumers or other end-users.
    When an online operator delivers in the EU, accepts payment by EU consumers/end-users and uses EU languages, then it can be considered that the operator has expressly chosen to supply products to EU consumers or other end-users.
    The legal consequence is that products offered for sale by online operators need to comply with all applicable EU rules when placed on the market. Such compliance can be physically verified by responsible authorities when the products are in their jurisdiction, at the soonest, at the customs.

You sell something to a EU citizen, you make sure the product complies with EU regulation.
    In addition, even though the bricks in these AFOL Designer sets might be Lego, for the regulation Bricklink is considered the manufacturer. And I guess also the distributor. So complying is 100% on them. As mentioned in my earlier post: amateur hour.

@dmcc0 The boxes of China sets #80101 and #80102 have the CE marking.
    The regulation is force since the 80's, and Lego boxes have been carrying the CE logo ever since. Any toys produced prior to that time would be exempt from the regulation.
    I'll have to add the Journal to my reading list - at least until the end of October :)

Interesting that the China sets have the CE marking; I wonder if TLG just CE mark everything.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,427
    dmcc0 said:

What about sets that pre-date CE marking, I wonder how they are handled; classed as collectibles maybe?  I've now got visions of someone's sealed classic space set that they'd just bought from ebay being destroyed by customs because they thought it was a fake.
    Customs here at least first contacted me before destroying my 'fake Lego'. When I confirmed it was real, they took an actual look at it and let it pass... (not CE logo related).

^ Pretty sure all Lego has the CE marking indeed.
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 245
    Wow. If its turning into such a logistics nightmare like this, I'm kind of glad my set didn't make the crowdfunding goal...
    Glad I'm in the states then.  Maybe some more of those sets will come up for cheap since they can't get into Europe.  :D
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 429
    Just ordered the Hot Shot Arcade to add the my fairgrounds. It's on backorder but we'll see how it goes. Sorry to the folks in the EU, hopefully things will work out.
  • LegoDad42LegoDad42 Member Posts: 54
    Really enjoying the Science Tower build. Learnin' and havin' fun buildin'!
    Very nice different design exterior and fun details interior.

MegtheCatFowlerBricks
  • ratical30ratical30 Utah, United StatesMember Posts: 16
    If anyone is frustrated with BrickLink and ordered the Löwenstein castle I’ll buy it from you for 250$ ;)
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Last day to order at retail prices.   After today, only resale marked up prices will be available! 
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 429
    As I mentioned above, I ordered the Hot Shot Carnival set but I couldnt see (as far as I could tell anyway) any rifles in the set. Which seems weird for a set about shooting targets. So I was putting in an order on B&Ps and saw that the flint gun was back in stock, part number 4211311 so I went ahead and bought 6. Now I just need to hope my BL order actually goes through and my backorder doesnt get cancelled.  Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else wanted to put in an order for any of the guns.
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 92
    I bought (and have received) 8 Studs and the Science Tower. In both, it feels like there are many instances of using several small plates rather than a larger plate. For instance, in Science Tower, some floors have 3 or 4 2x6 plates side by side rather than a 6x6 or 6x8 plate. I feel like the models would be sturdier if they had larger plates - I pressed the lady in the Science Tower (with a large slope for a skirt) onto one of the upper floors and it started to collapse; I had to support it from below. I might order some larger plates to replace some of the small plates. I can't imagine the designers in this contest would have wanted to artificially inflate the piece count. And these aren't Creator 3-in-1 models, so it's not like they had to use smaller plates to make them work in an alt build. So I'm just wondering why... And I guess I'm also wondering if that's what the designer originally had, or if Lego or Bricklink changed the original for some reason, such as to reduce the number of different pieces there were in the model (easier to pack up 20 bricks of one type, rather than 4 of this, 4 of that, 2 of that, etc.)
    ^ There was a limited number of parts that the designers were allowed to use. It might be that the bigger plates were not allowed.
    If anyone has the instructions (or knows where to get them) for Löwenstein Castle I’ll buy them from you. Unfortunately I wasn’t a LEGO fan when pre orders started for that set and I just love it. Thanks for any help you or suggestions you might have.
    edited July 2019
    BrinkLink have finally replied to me, and admitted that tracking that hasn't changed since May 16th does probably mean that it is lost.  They have offered a refund, but I'm very disappointed if I'm not going to get my Saloon.
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 500
    I just received an email saying my order is being prepared and that my cc has been charged.  I'll be interested to see how slow the shipping in the US is.
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 92
    Hey everyone. I've got the Science Tower. It's pretty neat, but I live in a small space and really need to pick and choose what sets to keep. I'm thinking of selling it - US only, and it's been assembled, though the exclusive brick is still sealed. I'd like to get my investment back, plus just a little bit profit, plus actual shipping. PM me if interested, and we'll chat. 
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 77
    I also got notice that my Science Tower is being shipped.  I have a tracking number, but it hasn’t left the facility yet.  I wonder how long it will take to get from southern to northern California!  Still no word on my Lowenstein Castle, but I expect that will be at the end of the summer.
    edited July 2019
    My Bikes took a little over two weeks to reach me.  I'm still waiting on word about my Skyline Express.
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 174
    The Fedex Smartpost service used by Bricklink in the US is easily the slowest commercially available shipping method.  Not only does Fedex hold packages at various depots to consolidate, they ultimately hand it off to the USPS, adding another couple of days to delivery.  My Bikes set took over 2 weeks to get from California to Ohio.  Also, despite the double box packaging used, my set box was crushed in all the intermediate handling.
    Pyrobug
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 77
    Following up on this....my Science Tower was delivered last Friday, three days after shipping.  The original estimate was a week.  It still took a circuitous route to get here according to the tracking - it had a good tour of the lower two thirds of California.

The set was double boxed, which I was impressed by, so the set box itself is in perfect condition.  Although I suppose that should be expected, considering it was only three days in transit.
    Glacierfalls265MegtheCat
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 254
    I'm still waiting for my bikes to ship. I'm hopeful it will arrive before Christmas :P
    PJ76ukGlacierfalls265
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 99
    So where can i find inventories for these sets? Surely they cant still be under wraps now that sales are final?
    My Skyline Express arrived!  I cannot wait to build it and then automate it.
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 500
    The Fedex Smartpost service used by Bricklink in the US is easily the slowest commercially available shipping method.  Not only does Fedex hold packages at various depots to consolidate, they ultimately hand it off to the USPS, adding another couple of days to delivery.  My Bikes set took over 2 weeks to get from California to Ohio.  Also, despite the double box packaging used, my set box was crushed in all the intermediate handling.
    Strangely, my set was shipped using Smartpost, but it was actually delivered by FedEx Home Delivery, so took a few days instead of the two weeks I had experienced in the past.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 578
    My kid's set - the Isle of Peril - finally arrived yesterday!
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 764
    I finally got my #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle today:

and it's bigger than I expected it to be! It dwarfs the Saloon even though it's only 25% more pieces. Unfortunately, it also suffered the worse damage during shipping with one of the sides not shown in the pictures above annoyingly crushed.
    This was the last of the sets I ordered. The final prices I paid were:
    • #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle $199 (4.1kg) -> £192
    • #BL19004 Wild West Saloon $149 (2.1kg) -> £143
    • #BL19008 The LEGO Story $99 (1.6kg) -> £102
    By size and weight, the castle seems to be the best value for money. It was also the first one I ordered even though it was the last one I received!
    Summarising my overall experience:
    pros:
    • Packaging of the sets is excellent
    • Final cost with free shipping was less than anticipated since all import fees were absorbed by currency differential between dollar and pound
    cons:
    • Shipping box (especially for Castle) was not sufficient to prevent damage
    • Delay between initial order and set in hand was much longer than anticipated
    • Not impressed by exclusive brick - I would have preferred a printed tile of the set
    I will definitely buy future AFOL Designer Program sets if they are to the same standard of creativity as these were but I do hope BrickLink has learned from this experience should they decide to do it again.
    Fizyxbandit778Baby_YodaPyrobugratical30MegtheCatFowlerBricks
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 507
    My Saloon is still on backorder...
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    I would suggest Bricklink to provide digital building instructions so we can build the models using elements we already own. I’ll happily consider building the following: Löwenstein Castle, Antique Fire Engine,Wild West Saloon and Imagine It! Built It!
    Bludchylde1
    Finally got a shipping notice...
    Purchased the Hot Shot Carnival and Wild West Saloon on the last day of the ADP (June 30th) and just received shipment confirmation. Should both be here August 8th. Sweet!
  • hazz78hazz78 UKMember Posts: 31

I live in UK. My Wild West Saloon (a beautiful build) arrived last week with a £61.05 import charge (£49.05 taxes + £12 FedEx fee).  This is higher than the charges someone else on this thread paid.  I'm thinking of challenging the £49.05 with HMRC to see if I'm due any refund but does anyone know what the correct charge should have been?  The amount I paid BrickLink was £149.99 with free shipping.

hazz78 said:

I live in UK. My Wild West Saloon (a beautiful build) arrived last week with a £61.05 import charge (£49.05 taxes + £12 FedEx fee).  This is higher than the charges someone else on this thread paid.  I'm thinking of challenging the £49.05 with HMRC to see if I'm due any refund but does anyone know what the correct charge should have been?  The amount I paid BrickLink was £149.99 with free shipping.

Wow, that's a lot!  Maybe I'm glad mine never arrived....
    ^ LEGO probably comes under commodity code 9503003500

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9503003500

Does seem a little high based on the link above, but I'm pretty sure you also pay duty/VAT on shipping cost too.  Even though shipping was free for you, there's probably a shipping cost listed somewhere that somebody paid.  The customs label may have more info.

dmcc0 said:
    ^ LEGO probably comes under commodity code 9503003500

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9503003500

Does seem a little high based on the link above, but I'm pretty sure you also pay duty/VAT on shipping cost too.  Even though shipping was free for you, there's probably a shipping cost listed somewhere that somebody paid.  The customs label may have more info.

Thanks. Will check out.
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 764
    hazz78 said:

I paid the following for my 3 sets:
    • #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle $199 -> £192
      = £159.3 ($ to £ in MC) + £4.69 (MC cc fee) + 27.83 (£12 handling fee + VAT)
    • #BL19004 Wild West Saloon $149 -> £143
      = £115.79 ($ to £ in MC) + £3.41 (MC cc fee) + £23.33 (£12 handling fee + VAT)
    • #BL19008 The LEGO Story $99 -> £102
      = £76.42 ($ to £ in MC) + £2.25 (MC cc fee) + £23.33 (£12 handling fee + VAT)
    Looking at the shipping labels, the declared dollar value for each set was: Castle £100, Saloon $75, and LEGO Story $99.99. Only the LEGO Story looks correct here!
    The customs label for the LEGO Story is shown below (I think this charge is correct):

I would suggest you have a polite chat with the Border Force (on the number listed on your customs label) to determine how they calculated the fees. I wouldn't assume the fees I paid were correct for the Saloon but I would guess it should be around £12 + £11.50 * 150% = £29.25. What does your charge notice say?
    SeanTheCollector said:
    I paid the following for my 3 sets:
    • #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle $199 -> £192
      = £159.3 ($ to £ in MC) + £4.69 (MC cc fee) + 27.83 (£12 handling fee + VAT)
    • #BL19004 Wild West Saloon $149 -> £143
      = £115.79 ($ to £ in MC) + £3.41 (MC cc fee) + £23.33 (£12 handling fee + VAT)
    • #BL19008 The LEGO Story $99 -> £102
      = £76.42 ($ to £ in MC) + £2.25 (MC cc fee) + £23.33 (£12 handling fee + VAT)
    Looking at the shipping labels, the declared dollar value for each set was: Castle £100, Saloon $75, and LEGO Story $99.99. Only the LEGO Story looks correct here!
    The customs label for the LEGO Story is shown below (I think this charge is correct):

I would suggest you have a polite chat with the Border Force (on the number listed on your customs label) to determine how they calculated the fees. I wouldn't assume the fees I paid were correct for the Saloon but I would guess it should be around £12 + £11.50 * 150% = £29.25. What does your charge notice say?
    Looks like you got a good deal on your import charges!

The shipping labels on mine bear no resemblance to yours - just address, tracking number and a few other codes. No indication of declared value, import duty, VAT etc.  I had to request the following from FedEx which does indicate the charge (says £49.06) but no breakdown of what's the duty and what's the VAT.  HMRC form asks me to enter value of each paid and what the correct amount is!  Very difficult to fill in! I think I'll go back to FedEx and ask for a breakdown and indication of how it was calculated.

• Gruff666Gruff666 United KingdomMember Posts: 192
    I think the issue is they put a value against the freight (£126.24 seems very hight though). This would count towards to VAT and duty costs
    There are a number of threads about this on BL too. Where NO did not declare shipping costs, FedEx make an assumption about what the costs are, and charge VAT on the assumed value.